ADVERTISEMENT

Vehicle recomendations

orod741

HR MVP
Gold Member
Jun 15, 2010
Our 06 Altima commuter is at the end of it's reliable life. My wife would like to replace it with a 7 passenger vehicle where I'm pushing for another car or small SUV hybrid/EV. Anyone on HORT have suggested compromises? We already own a Honda Odyssey for any trips w/ 2 kids. I'm not opposed to owning another one or similar, just finding it hard to justify.

Also, please keep the line at the door to 5 or less.

I think it makes sense to go with a small SUV. A little better gas mileage, and room to put more stuff when you're taking the kids to practice, running errand, etc.

Our 06 Altima commuter is at the end of it's reliable life. My wife would like to replace it with a 7 passenger vehicle where I'm pushing for another car or small SUV hybrid/EV. Anyone on HORT have suggested compromises? We already own a Honda Odyssey for any trips w/ 2 kids. I'm not opposed to owning another one or similar, just finding it hard to justify.

A 2020 Ram Crew cab is the best passenger car I ever owned.

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard

Get a VW ID.4 or something similar. Not a 7 seater but it would be a good companion to a ICE Odyssey. A two minivan household hurts just thinking about.

Reactions: orod741
I’ve been researching tho Ford Maverick hybrid. It seems like a cool little truck. A lot of video reviews on YouTube
If a true electric isn’t feasible for me. The Maverick is what I want.

the front wheel drive with almost no options can be had for less than $22k. Be a great commuter vehicle and I could toss bikes or furniture in back when needed.

• Wow
Reactions: globalhawk
If a true electric isn’t feasible for me. The Maverick is what I want.

the front wheel drive with almost no options can be had for less than $22k. Be a great commuter vehicle and I could toss bikes or furniture in back when needed.

Maybe a child's bike. Those things look pretty small.

Big-as-Texas-Limos-Listing-Image-1c762dd50b6db89_1c763031-e113-f931-7f56dc70f8fa734e.jpg

Toyota Avalon Hybrid - big car size with small car efficiency (35-40 mpg) not 7 passenger, but 5 adults can be very comfortable in there. Get a 15 or 16 Limited. Basically a Lexus at that point without the added 5k for the nameplate.

If ya gotta go 7 passenger get a Lexus GX460 or 470. Screw gas efficiency, go with some Jeep brawn while still be coddled like a baby.

Whatever you do, get a Toyota product.

Maybe a child's bike. Those things look pretty small.
Plenty big. Almost in a truck I would remove front tire and use the front fork as a mounting system for stability.

it’s too bad more companies don’t offer FWD trucks. Few truly need anything more. I have commuted to work in Iowa 20-50 miles one way most of my life and do just fine with FWD.

Reactions: 24 so far
Toyota Sienna Hybrid 7 or 8 passenger. We have the 7 passenger mid-level model. We get 34-37 mpg. We had the premium limited version prior but didn’t want to pay for all that, but we like it and it gets 50% mpg than our older Sienna.

Of course good luck finding one.

Hybrid Honda CRV.

I had to downsize from a Nissan Titan in order to get my elderly mom around (too big to get her in and out of) so we got a Lincoln MC K. I'd never even heard of them, but damn it's a nice car. 2.0 liter turbo and holy shit it will get up and go.

Reactions: orod741
Toyota Avalon Hybrid - big car size with small car efficiency (35-40 mpg) not 7 passenger, but 5 adults can be very comfortable in there. Get a 15 or 16 Limited. Basically a Lexus at that point without the added 5k for the nameplate.

If ya gotta go 7 passenger get a Lexus GX460 or 470. Screw gas efficiency, go with some Jeep brawn while still be coddled like a baby.

Whatever you do, get a Toyota product.
This is good advice if you are going to keep it a long time and want to avoid big repair costs. I'd go sienna if you want another van and camry or rav4 if you want a reliable commuter with great mpg. Avalon or the new Venza worth looking at too. Honda is close but nothing tops Toyota reliability if you keep up on routine maintenance
Their resale values tell the story

I'd avoid anything German and Fiat/ Chrysler and GM products if reliability is important to you

I had to downsize from a Nissan Titan in order to get my elderly mom around (too big to get her in and out of) so we got a Lincoln MC K. I'd never even heard of them, but damn it's a nice car. 2.0 liter turbo and holy shit it will get up and go.
My sister has one and is now expecting their third. Maybe I should work a deal with her.

Reactions: Nole-4-Life
If you already have a minivan I can’t understand getting another vehicle with seven seats. Another sedan would seem to be enough, with better mileage and lower price. We have a Pilot and an Accord. My Accord is five years old, gets 30+ mpg, and has only depreciated 30%.

Reactions: goldmom
Get a VW ID.4 or something similar. Not a 7 seater but it would be a good companion to a ICE Odyssey. A two minivan household hurts just thinking about.

If I was buying right now and already had a larger SUV / minivan - the ID.4 is what I’d be looking at as well.

Here's the thing in regard to cars: If reliability, build quality, fuel economy, functionality and resale matter most to you, you have to buy a Toyota/Lexus. They're the best at this. They're the best vehicles in the world all things considered. Honda/Acura is very close in this regard. Then there's the rest of the automotive world below. This is how it is. Why would you buy anything else? Especially since a ton of these vehicles are made in the United States.

Here's the thing in regard to cars: If reliability, build quality, fuel economy, functionality and resale matter most to you, you have to buy a Toyota/Lexus. They're the best at this. They're the best vehicles in the world all things considered. Honda/Acura is very close in this regard. Then there's the rest of the automotive world below. This is how it is. Why would you buy anything else? Especially since a ton of these vehicles are made in the United States.
Mazda actually passed Lexus in reliability metrics. The CX-5 is every bit as good as the Rav 4 and comes with extra power.

The RAV4 hybrid, while not a seven passenger vehicle, seats five. And it gets 40 mpg with AWD. Plus, it’s a Toyota.

My brother has one and loves it. Not sure about nowadays (he bought his 2 yrs ago), but he had to go to Rochester MN (lives in Marion) to find one to his liking - I'm assuming they're equally tough to find CPO used today.

Mrs. Tradition (no pics) is a big Mazda fan. She's on her third one. A navy blue Mazda6. Sharp sedan.

The Tradmobile is a 2013 Honda CR-V with 225,000 miles on it. Absolutely NOTHING has gone wrong with that car. Amazing reliability.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole

I agree with this. However, those are not the only reason I personally buy a car. Styling, performance, and “luxury” features matter a lot as well. I’m a car guy though. I get why everyone wouldn’t pay extra for that.

If I was buying right now and already had a larger SUV / minivan - the ID.4 is what I’d be looking at as well.
I ordered an AWD version last year. In February, I got informed that it was in transit. Several weeks later, I was informed that it had gone down with the Felicity Ace in the Atlantic Ocean. VW has been almost radio silent since then so we went in another direction. I'm normally a brand fanboy but a year is long enough.

Agreed. I think Lexus is a little better quality than Acura, but at a higher price point. A quality pre-owned Acura, 2-3 years old, is my sweet spot.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
I agree with this. However, those are not the only reason I personally buy a car. Styling, performance, and “luxury” features matter a lot as well. I’m a car guy though. I get why everyone wouldn’t pay extra for that.

I come from a family of car people. My dad drove BMWs for most of my young life. My mom had a couple as well. Having driven them extensively, I get the “feel” side of them. They’re pure and refined. They’re as tight as a vault and just as quiet. However, I drive hundreds of thousands of miles annually, and I wouldn’t even think about daily driving a German luxury car for what I do.

Agreed. I think Lexus is a little better quality than Acura, but at a higher price point. A quality pre-owned Acura, 2-3 years old, is my sweet spot.

I have a 2021 RDX A-Spec in my garage. It’s fantastic. I also had a 1992 Lexus SC400 for a few years. I sold it last year because I didn’t drive it much. There wasn’t a single electrical component, drive motor, gauge, feature or setting that didn’t work perfectly on it. It was mechanically flawless. The window motors were fast and instant. The engine idled as smooth as my brand new Acura. Zero leaks. No hiccups. After almost thirty years and 135k miles. Lexus is that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrlandNole
I love, love, love my Toyota Camry hybrid. It just turned 10 years old and 125,000 miles and never once have I had to pay for anything but routine maintenance and consumable parts. I'm mad at myself for not going with Toyota vehicles until my late 40s. I suspect I'll drive this Camry another 10 years and 100,000 miles before I buy my next one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT