ADVERTISEMENT

Verbal commitments

Oct 6, 2007
Beloit. KS
What is the point? In football kids de-commit all the time. Now in wrestling the last few years de-committing has become a big thing. I just don't understand what good a verbal commitment does. Why should we care until they sign the letter of intent?

Maybe I'm the only jackass on here, but I can't help getting excited anytime I hear a verbal Hawkeye commit. I start penciling the recruit into future lineups. I did that with JRent, Teasdale and even Billy Murphy back in the day. I did it with Mejia and get to do it again thankfully. Hell, I get fired up when Iowa ends up in a recruits top 5. So, you're sayin; there's a chance?! Also, I have nothing better to do. :(

Last edited:
My I'm the only jackass on here, but I can't help getting excited anytime I hear a verbal Hawkeye commit. I start penciling the recruit into future lineups. I did that with JRent, Teasdale and even Billy Murphy back in the day. I did it with Mejia and get to do it again thankfully. Hell, I get fired up when Iowa ends up in a recruits top 5. So, you're sayin; there's a chance?! Also, I have nothing better to do. :(
You're not the only one brother. :D

My I'm the only jackass on here, but I can't help getting excited anytime I hear a verbal Hawkeye commit. I start penciling the recruit into future lineups. I did that with JRent, Teasdale and even Billy Murphy back in the day. I did it with Mejia and get to do it again thankfully. Hell, I get fired up when Iowa ends up in a recruits top 5. So, you're sayin; there's a chance?! Also, I have nothing better to do. :(
You think you're bad --shoot, I was doing that with Izzy Martinez and Willie Parks. Feels like it was somewhere in the 80's. Pretty sure both guys are now in their 60's.

Considering fans pencil guys into their team's lineup before they even express interest, getting excited over a verbal doesn't seem too out of line.

The knock on AC is that he would fade at the end of matches and often needed to be Saved by the Bell

No, no...many thought he was going to throw away his wrestling career to pursue his true love: Dance!
latest

What is the point? In football kids de-commit all the time. Now in wrestling the last few years de-committing has become a big thing. I just don't understand what good a verbal commitment does. Why should we care until they sign the letter of intent?

You do realize your posting on a website the exists largely due to people caring about such things, don't you?

If you don't have the stomach for recruiting, don't follow it. It's that easy. Those of us that can handle ourselves enjoy it.

You do realize your posting on a website the exists largely due to people caring about such things, don't you?

If you don't have the stomach for recruiting, don't follow it. It's that easy. Those of us that can handle ourselves enjoy it.
I'm not saying I don't care about it. I follow it it just as much as anybody. It's just seems silly that kids can commit and de-commit and sometimes commit again only to de-commit again without a care in the world seems silly to me.

I was really to just trying to get some more info on verbal commitments. I figured there had to be something more to it than just saying you're going to a certain school.

I was really to just trying to get some more info on verbal commitments. I figured there had to be something more to it than just saying you're going to a certain school.
Well, with age comes wisdom, theoretically of course, it's not a one size fits all proposition.

So, under that premise, what has eventually evolved for me is to see the Student Athlete enrolled and showing up at practice. Once those things occur, then I will officially start to theorize future lineups and possibilities. Until then I try not to get too worked up about it.

There are a lot of schools and a lot of athletes, so your dreams will get crushed more often than not in the pursuit of those athletes.

So I TRY and mostly succeed with that laid back approach to what teenagers are thinking about College choices for sporting endeavors, but to each his own. :D

Reactions: CumberlandHawk
So did we have a recent decommitment?....I saw the thread title and opened expecting bad news.... far as I know we only have two verbals for next year.... Big Cass and Nelson Brands....I'm sure coaches would prefer to be able to sign a kid as soon as they said they wanted to compete for their team but the rules are set up to protect the kids being recruited....Iowa benefits from kids switching commitments as often as not I think... especially in football and I think Ferentz has the right approach in telling kids not to verbal until they have checked out all their options and are sure Iowa is the place they want to go....and after they verbal if go on recruiting trips to other schools they may risk getting their offer pulled......A lot of kids will verbal to a school so they have a fall back and continue to look for a "better" offer...... Ferentz values character as much as talent though and I'm sure that is the first thing they check out when a player catches their interest....high character kids are more likely to honor their commitments.... an early signing period would cure a lot of this

So did we have a recent decommitment?....I saw the thread title and opened expecting bad news.... far as I know we only have two verbals for next year.... Big Cass and Nelson Brands....I'm sure coaches would prefer to be able to sign a kid as soon as they said they wanted to compete for their team but the rules are set up to protect the kids being recruited....Iowa benefits from kids switching commitments as often as not I think... especially in football and I think Ferentz has the right approach in telling kids not to verbal until they have checked out all their options and are sure Iowa is the place they want to go....and after they verbal if go on recruiting trips to other schools they may risk getting their offer pulled......A lot of kids will verbal to a school so they have a fall back and continue to look for a "better" offer...... Ferentz values character as much as talent though and I'm sure that is the first thing they check out when a player catches their interest....high character kids are more likely to honor their commitments.... an early signing period would cure a lot of this
Agreed. I'm not a big Kirk guy as far as a Coach, but I do agree with his approach relative to recruiting. Its too old school for most, but just right for me.

The big fish are always going to eat the little fish, and Iowa has done their fair share in that regard as well.

Reactions: natchrlman
Ferentz knows for the most part they have to be a "developmental" program and that requires a certain kind of kid and they better show up ready to work their asses off.... this years freshman class has about as many kids big ten ready than any class I can remember.... the key is getting Kirk to meet the kids mom :) .....Iowa wrestling at least gets a shot at guite a few blue chippers

I agree with you on this. I hate the Verbal. All it does is gives people something to write about and it takes away your options. It does nothing for the recruit.

Interesting. Most parents of recruitable athletes say the opposite--the recruiting only truly begins once a kid has verballed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT