ADVERTISEMENT

Very interesting comments from Senator James Lankford

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
This seems heartfelt, and not just because there has been a backlash against the Republicans who stoked the seditionists on 1/6. I posted back then that Lankford seemed out of place with the Hawley, Cruz, Tuberville, Kennedy... trash. He is deeply conservative, but he is on LIb TV and NPR frequently. He’s released a very strong statement apologizing to members of the black community for his actions leading up to the coup attempt.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...-black-constituents-for-opposing-election?amp

Gotta question either his sincerity or his intelligence. It was absolutely no secret that this was directed at the black vote that carried those states for Trump.

Reactions: BelemNole
This seems heartfelt, and not just because there has been a backlash against the Republicans who stoked the seditionists on 1/6. I posted back then that Lankford seemed out of place with the Hawley, Cruz, Tuberville, Kennedy... trash. He is deeply conservative, but he is on LIb TV and NPR frequently. He’s released a very strong statement apologizing to members of the black community for his actions leading up to the coup attempt.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...-black-constituents-for-opposing-election?amp
He, Sasse, Romney, Murkowsky have put their families at risk speaking out against the cult. I’ve been impressed with him for a while. Calm, decent, well spoken, willing to answer tough questions. Now he’s proven to be willing to admit where he was wrong at a time his state and country need true patriots to step up.

Lessee here. Target counties around Philly, Atlanta, and other minority population area’s votes and then scratch your head and say, “Huh, I didn’t see that as suppressing black peoples votes”.

He is either a terrible liar, or one of the dumbest people in politics. Ima go with the former, myself.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Gotta question either his sincerity or his intelligence. It was absolutely no secret that this was directed at the black vote that carried those states for Trump.
Just a guess, but I imagine he won his last race by 30 points. He doesn’t need to apologize to anyone.
Again, it seems heartfelt.

He, Sasse, Romney, Murkowsky have put their families at risk speaking out against the cult. I’ve been impressed with him for a while. Calm, decent, well spoken, willing to answer tough questions. Now he’s proven to be willing to admit where he was wrong at a time his state and country need true patriots to step up.
Then they should come out squarely for conviction. The only one I'd guarantee would be Romney.

Reactions: BioHawk
Just a guess, but I imagine he won his last race by 30 points. He doesn’t need to apologize to anyone.
Again, it seems heartfelt.
The push to disenfranchise majority black cities was one of the major talking points every time Trump's claims were discussed. Lankford would have to be completely out of touch to have not known that. Sounds more like he's looking at a presidential run and realizes he's gonna have to get past 75% white OK. Whatever he's doing, it's not contrition driving it.

You shouldn’t be using Sasse and Lankford’s name in the same breath as Murkowski and Romney’s.

Sasse didn’t speak up until 2 months after the election, and Lankford voted to refuse to accept state’s certified results.
Don’t put them on a pedestal. They don’t belong there.

You shouldn’t be using Sasse and Lankford’s name in the same breath as Murkowski and Romney’s.

Sasse didn’t speak up until 2 months after the election, and Lankford voted to refuse to accept state’s certified results.
Don’t put them on a pedestal. They don’t belong there.
It’s a low bar other than Romney, but we need decent people on the right to step up and show us that there are still decent conservatives. The party need to heal from within. They need support from moderate Republicans and Independents

Last edited:
Agreed. But those two, particularly Lankford, have spines made of drinking straws. They have em, but they aren’t considered sturdy.
If we are going to heal, we need to reward those that show leadership out of the ashes and admit they were wrong. What’s their incentive if reasonable people on the left won’t accept their apology? Sure it would have been nice if they would have stood with Mitt from the beginning of this mess, but here we are.

I'd be ok with 67.

50 democrats + Sasse, Romney, Murkowski, Collins, Lankford + 12 other republicans. Short of this (and unless at least 70% of the republicans get re-elected after they vote to remove), I will never ever vote GOP ever again in my life.

Registered independent here.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
I'd be ok with 67.

50 democrats + Sasse, Romney, Murkowski, Collins, Lankford + 12 other republicans. Short of this (and unless at least 70% of the republicans get re-elected after they vote to remove), I will never ever vote GOP ever again in my life.

Registered independent here.
Registered non partisan here.

I think it points to him knowing things we don’t yet know. The investigation is going to be bad for many elected members of Congress including several Senators.

Reactions: lucas80
If Giuliani sticks with the “It wasn’t inciting an insurrection because the election really was stolen” defense, I think McConnell will lead the GOP Senators for conviction.

Reactions: lucas80 and DFSNOLE
If Giuliani sticks with the “It wasn’t inciting an insurrection because the election really was stolen” defense, I think McConnell will lead the GOP Senators for conviction.
Agree. If Trump is going to continue the big lie, he’s got to be convicted. For the Republicans that want now to unite and heal, start by telling the damn truth.

Speaking out is worthless without action. Apologizing after the fact is pointless. I can forgive you for it I guess, but I won't forget and forgiveness doesn't mean I would support you without action. So, a step in the right direction would be to vote for conviction at the impeachment trial. An even bigger step would be to develop and support policies that help the issues black people face in this country even if it means working with the other side of the isle.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
If we are going to heal, we need to reward those that show leadership out of the ashes and admit they were wrong. What’s their incentive if reasonable people on the left won’t accept their apology? Sure it would have been nice if they would have stood with Mitt from the beginning of this mess, but here we are.
I'll "accept" his apology though I'm not the person he's speaking to. I'm certainly not lauding him for it at this late date. He's no hero. He went even further than most of his senate colleagues in backing Trump's attempted coup and only changed his tune when everything went sideways. NOW he realizes how divisive it was? NOW he sees how it targeted black Americans "with almost surgical precision"? I'm calling bullshit - this is just another calculated political move for him. He's gonna have to do a lot more than write a letter to demonstrate true contrition.

As Bio said above - a vote to convict Trump will be a first step.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
ADVERTISEMENT