ADVERTISEMENT

Veterans can now teach in Florida with no degree. School leaders say it 'lowers the bar'

I fail to see how being forced to read Homer and write book reports makes one a good teacher. Especially if that teacher isn't going to be teaching literature.
You wouldn’t agree that knowing subject matter is a prerequisite for teaching subject matter? I’d agree that a math teach doesn’t need to have read Homer, but a literature teacher does.

You wouldn’t agree that knowing subject matter is a prerequisite for teaching subject matter? I’d agree that a math teach doesn’t need to have read Homer, but a literature teacher does.
You don't even have to believe in evolutionary biology to be a HORT medical professional. All bets are off, baybee!

flat-750x1000-075-f-u1.jpg
You are doing nothing but proving your partisanship. But we already were fully aware.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Spouses sacrifice a lot to support their military husband or wife.

I thought liberals were woke that way?
When I finished my Naval career of 21 years I had amassed over 140 college credits when I applied to finish my degree, but yeah folks military vets aren't educated. I also went through instructor school and taught recruits at Basic Training for 3 years. If a vet can pass the certification exam let them at least give it a shot. If we learned anything over the Covid years online training was very bad for most students so what's the difference with giving a Vet a chance. My family is full of teachers, and they support the Troops to Teachers program that has been a federally funded program for years where all you need is a Bachelors degree and you earn the teachers certificate as you progress through the program. No one has ever complained about that program that I am aware of. If it doesn't work you simply pull the plug on a failed attempt. I am sure there are many on this forum with degrees that have nothing to do with their job and they are successful.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
More reasons than that for the shortage…

Pay, shitty kids you can’t discipline…..many reasons.
I have posted this several times. My son wanted to teach English on the high school level. He knew he wouldn't get rich, and he knew it was a fairly thankless job. He talked about moving back to Iowa and teaching in a rural area for a few years, if he didn't find a job in the IC or Des Moines areas. He soured on teaching two years ago, and specifically mentioned the anger directed at teachers. He is smart enough to see what was going on in GOP circles. And, it's only gotten worse. So, he and his degree are working for an insurance provider where his proficiency in Spanish is a plus, and he gets to assist execs too dumb to work their company issued iPhones. His beginning salary is $5000 more than what a beginning teacher makes in Minnesota.

We’ve been lowering the bar for decades.
Agreed. It's maddening.

Public education is the silver bullet that can solve so many of our nations problems. We need smarter people. Men and women that are more open minded and engage in lifelong learning. We need creative, energetic people as teachers to engage with the nation's children and encourage them to learn - everyday.

We need to put billions more into education. We need to raise the bar.

This is like treating your own kids like sh*t for 50 or 60 years and wonder why they don take care of you in your old age.

:mad: 🤷‍♀️

When I finished my Naval career of 21 years I had amassed over 140 college credits when I applied to finish my degree, but yeah folks military vets aren't educated.
I don’t think vets are uneducated and clearly you have attained a level of education that would interest me as a school admin if you wanted to teach. I’ve had the pleasure of working with 8-12 teachers that were vets and many of them were still in the reserves. They taught at many different levels from elementary to high school. A couple of them were some of the better elementary teachers I’ve ever know.
If a vet can pass the certification exam let them at least give it a shot.
If a vet has a bachelor degree and passes the certification exam, and is willing to engage in teacher training they are welcome to take a shot at teaching just like anybody can in my state. That’s not what the program in Florida does.
My family is full of teachers, and they support the Troops to Teachers program that has been a federally funded program for years where all you need is a Bachelors degree and you earn the teachers certificate as you progress through the program. No one has ever complained about that program that I am aware of.
The difference between what you describe and what this law does is that Troops to Teachers require a bachelors degree and requires you to be a part of a program that will assist you in becoming a teacher. Again, that type of program is available to anyone in my state and we have gotten some great teachers from it. Nobody complains about it because it makes sense and works.

Not knowing anything accounting, I would think someone who worked as an accountant would probably have to take high school accounting again to relearn the dumbed down and stripped-of-all-context version that is taught to HS students. Then they'd also have to learn how to teach it to people unfamiliar with the subject and who likely don't have their same aptitude for the subject.
Also those who don’t give 2 craps about learning it. That accountant would have to make the kid care to learn. The accountant would also have to learn how to work with kids who would much rather be a behavioral issue than learn accounting.

This is about politics. Why let their spouses teach, they’re not veterans?

DeSantis wants to allow non-college grads and he wants them to be conservative.

More red meat bs from that crackpot. He makes me miss algae water Rick Scott and I absolutely despise that ghoul.

Reactions: mnole03 and DFSNOLE
As I understand this, they still have to pass the state certification exam. It's just that military service can substitute for the 60 credits of college education.

I learned valuable life skills and education during my military service AND my college experience.

Methinks the teachers union is crying wolf.
No fricking way is even relevant to one another. Don't get me wrong, the military can teach you a lot about leadership, communications, mechanical skills, etc. It doesn't teach you a damn thing about English literature or biology.

This is not a good thing. Though DeSantis has been pushing to raise teacher pay, I would rather have seen a push to raise teacher pay even more, and eliminate school overhead. Times have changed a lot, and teachers have a lot more support than they did when my mom (RIP) taught. There's also a lot from purely administrative staff now. Let's prop up those who are doing the actual teaching.

Teacher shortages is a nationwide issue…

JFC. You would hire a hangman with a short rope. It's a ridiculous idea. DieSantis is proving to be another freaked out right wing nut proving how extreme he can be.

What would be the hort reaction if this was done in California instead of Florida. My guess is it would be the exact opposite on all accounts. Lol
You'd be wrong. Lowering the standards for educators is a poor idea. The better idea is to properly support the educators, stop attacking them, give them the pay and tools they need to do their job well, and then go recruit great teachers.

But FL has no interest in doing that (And I know because I live in Florida and have a number of family who teach including my wife). What they have to deal with is insanity, and the pay sucks.

Eventually, businesses are going to have trouble pulling skilled employees to Florida when nobody wants to move their families to the state because of crap like this. They won't be able to rely on the rest of the country to train their workforce forever. Being close to Disney is only going to go so far.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
No fricking way is even relevant to one another. Don't get me wrong, the military can teach you a lot about leadership, communications, mechanical skills, etc. It doesn't teach you a damn thing about English literature or biology.

The "military mentality" appeals to authoritarians and is a logical path for social conditioning. Take "education" out of the equation and replace it with "conditioning".

Sounds very "Republican".

Yet, you'll continue to vote for the Republicans undermining public education to "own the libs"...
First of all, you have no idea how I vote. I vote for the person, not a party.

Second of all, you have no understanding of the local politics where I live.

Third, you have no idea of the state politics where I live.

STFU

When it comes to Governor, google Andrew Gillum + Miami hotel. Have fun.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
This is a really stupid post. There's no grand plan to destroy public education.
No there isn’t’t...Basically, it is the GOP approach to “public school education”....Underfund, put “weak” leaders in charge, make unsupported accusations, underfund some more, take tax money away from public schools...and so it goes.

This is a really stupid post. There's no grand plan to destroy public education.
Yes there is. The Republican policy is that they want school vouchers in Private schools or charter schools rather than public schools. They have been undermining public education for over twenty years or more while propping up the wonder of charter schools, private schools, etc... and continuing to push for bills to route public money to private educational systems.

A dream world for Republicans would be a barely functioning public school system with money available for the nice private schools instead. Of course they'll make certain those private schools aren't "woke" and focus only on the type of education they want if they get the funding.

The cognitive dissonance of what the people you vote for do when they get into office seems to upset you.

You could change your voting behaviors and choices, but I guess then you don't get to "own the libs".
I don't have any desire to "own the libs". I don't know where you get that from. Wait... you must think that owning you means I own other libs. I only own you because it's easy, and nearly everyone else owns you as well.

The county where I live is roughly 79% GOP. That means the GOP candidate for local elections will win the election. That means that state house and state senate GOP candidates will win the election.

As far as statewide races, I voted for DeSantis for Governor. If you google Andrew Gillum, even you might agree that Gillum is a complete disaster. I've called out DeSantis a number of times, and I call out Matt Gaetz more than anyone but Chis. I'm not surprised your extremely partisan self can't remember that because it doesn't fit for narrative, and hurts your ability to cherry pick.

My mom (RIP) was a school teacher. One of my best friends is an assistant principal at an elementary school. We need qualified teachers.

I'm not defending this idea, but I would like to point out it's not new. When I lived in NC, a good friend there was a retired Army Colonel who became a math teacher. Florida has floated the idea of letting people with advanced degrees with majors other than Education become teachers if they have subject matter expertise.

I don't have any desire to "own the libs". I don't know where you get that from. Wait... you must think that owning you means I own other libs. I only own you because it's easy, and nearly everyone else owns you as well.

The county where I live is roughly 79% GOP. That means the GOP candidate for local elections will win the election. That means that state house and state senate GOP candidates will win the election.

As far as statewide races, I voted for DeSantis for Governor. If you google Andrew Gillum, even you might agree that Gillum is a complete disaster. I've called out DeSantis a number of times, and I call out Matt Gaetz more than anyone but Chis. I'm not surprised your extremely partisan self can't remember that because it doesn't fit for narrative, and hurts your ability to cherry pick.

My mom (RIP) was a school teacher. One of my best friends is an assistant principal at an elementary school. We need qualified teachers.

I'm not defending this idea, but I would like to point out it's not new. When I lived in NC, a good friend there was a retired Army Colonel who became a math teacher. Florida has floated the idea of letting people with advanced degrees with majors other than Education become teachers if they have subject matter expertise.
a retired colonel would have had the required education. That's the part you're missing. I used to work with the troops to teachers office twenty years ago in Florida. It's a great program and one we probably should boost. But that's not what this bill does. THIS bill says anyone who was in the military at anytime "OR" their spouses can get a teaching certificate whether or not they have a bachelor's degree or not. That means a stay at home Mom, who's only qualifiications to teach are that her husband or "A stay at home Dad who's wife" was in the military at some point gets to educate my children on something they know extremely little about. That is a problem.

I'd be ok with working with them to help veterans get that education and qualification much more easily, I just don't like the idea of giving them a 5 year certificate with no requirement of educational background to teach whether or not they have any knowledge of that subject or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT