ADVERTISEMENT

Vetting the Justice

naturalmwa

HR King
Feb 4, 2004
What’s the point of even having a hearing and the vetting process? Republicans are committed to vote for whoever Trump nominates. Spending 30 days attacking the candidate isn’t likely to win any votes for Ds.

In my opinion, they don’t have the votes and should spend the time out campaigning. Leave town and just let the GOP have their circle jerk by themselves while Ds go win the election.

Kinda makes the GOP Senatorslook even dumber than we thought.

Rubber stamping a nominee before one is even named doesn't play well with Indees, imo.

What’s the point of even having a hearing and the vetting process? Republicans are committed to vote for whoever Trump nominates. Spending 30 days attacking the candidate isn’t likely to win any votes for Ds.

In my opinion, they don’t have the votes and should spend the time out campaigning. Leave town and just let the GOP have their circle jerk by themselves while Ds go win the election.
I agree 100%

Dems should be driving home the message, “If you don’t like it, VOTE!”

Coordinated messaging. Nonstop...hour by hour. Highlight the need to retake the WH and Senate. Turning the Senate into a circus is a distraction that only hurts the Dems.

Don't attack the nominee unless she deserves it.

They need to spend their time hammering everything that a conservative court could roll back. Health care, gay rights, voting rights, abortion, etc. They need to hammer that the right views themselves as the majority even though they are not. Millions less voted for Trump. Millions less voted for Republican Senators. With every election where the minority retains power, they are going to continue to do everything in their power to make it harder for the majority to get it back.

It’s funny how Dems think they should get to nominate every Supreme Court justice, and have a hissy fit when they don’t get their way. Thats not the way the process works.

There is a good chance Biden will get to fill 2 SC openings. If Dems control the Senate they can confirm whomever they want, and there is nothing Repubs can do about it.

It’s the Republicans turn right now. Democrats get their turn for the next one.

Reactions: hexumhawk
It’s funny how Dems think they should get to nominate every Supreme Court justice, and have a hissy fit when they don’t get their way. Thats not the way the process works.

There is a good chance Biden will get to fill 2 SC openings. If Dems control the Senate they can confirm whomever they want, and there is nothing Repubs can do about it.

We don’t need to nominate every justice but we would appreciate it if we could nominate one when it was our turn.

Bingo.

Must win the WH and Senate if they are going to have any chance of expanding the Court to counter the strengthening fascist control.

With the current Court - and even more so with the new Trump pick - it will be nearly impossible for Biden to do what needs to be done.

Sure, he can and will do a lot by Executive Order, but he won't even be able to get us back to 2016 that way. He needs a cooperative Congress and a favorable Court - else America and the world are toast.

Reactions: naturalmwa
We don’t need to nominate every justice but we would appreciate it if we could nominate one when it was our turn.
You did nominate one in 2016. Unfortunately you didn’t control the Senate. Next time you will.

Fun fact: 2016 was not the first time the Senate refused to vote on a nominee. It happened several times before that.

Reactions: Gonolz

The oldest Justice is Breyer, 82. Next is Thomas, 73.

Biden is most likely to get 1 pick, and that would be to replace a liberal.

With the current Court - and even more so with the new Trump pick - it will be nearly impossible for Biden to do what needs to be done.
That’s funny......I was always under the impression legislation was put forth by Congress, and not the Supreme Court.

Faux hysterics from the left.

Reactions: hawkedoff
You did nominate one in 2016. Unfortunately you didn’t control the Senate. Next time you will.

Fun fact: 2016 was not the first time the Senate refused to vote on a nominee. It happened several times before that.

That’s not the way it’s supposed to work, but you know that. Regardless, your time on the chopping block will come. Hope this was worth it.

Reactions: nelly02

Uhhhhhh...is this a serious post?

They need to spend their time hammering everything that a conservative court could roll back. Health care, gay rights, voting rights, abortion, etc. They need to hammer that the right views themselves as the majority even though they are not. Millions less voted for Trump. Millions less voted for Republican Senators. With every election where the minority retains power, they are going to continue to do everything in their power to make it harder for the majority to get it back.
Bro. It’s called the constitution. It was designed to protect monarchy.

Bro. It’s called the constitution. It was designed to protect monarchy.

Cool. I hope Republicans try to make the argument that the constitution was designed to keep them in power even when they dont represent the majority of the country. That you people are so bad that we deserve to be in power so you can't control the future of the US.

Did you feel this way in 2016 when Obama nominated Garland and Mitch held up the process?

Please listen the times it has happened because it was an election year?

That’s not the way it’s supposed to work, but you know that. Regardless, your time on the chopping block will come. Hope this was worth it.

It actually is exactly the way it is supposed to work. Checks and balances.

The nominee has been voted in only 20 percent of the time when the Senate is held by the opposing party from the president. It has happened ten times with two approvals. On the flip side when the party holding the Senate is the same as the potus the approval has been something like 17 out of 19 approvals

But, if Dems do go through the process won't that take some folks off the campaign trail in some of these close races for nearly a month prior to the election??? That might be the single biggest reason to do this.

I posted basically what nat posted in another thread but qualified it with "If the nominee is competent/qualified" but actually I think nats right there too. Doesn't matter if the candidate is competent/qualified if Republicans are prepared to vote for them so if that's a concern it's up to them to address.

If it's Amy Comey Barrett I really hope the Dems dial back their attacks on her religious faith. Quite frankly they are a big reason why she is popular with the right to begin with.

And I'll be honest I am a little concerned about some things that I've heard on here that she has written or said, but people attacking her faith just make me like her more.

But, if Dems do go through the process won't that take some folks off the campaign trail in some of these close races for nearly a month prior to the election??? That might be the single biggest reason to do this.
The Dems not running themselves can ask standard vetting questions and talk about issues without attacking the nominee. Basically respectfully do their jobs. Republicans still have to show up to participate and vote.

Good point, too. Likely why McConnell and Graham will try to get it done in a couple weeks.

Cool. I hope Republicans try to make the argument that the constitution was designed to keep them in power even when they dont represent the majority of the country. That you people are so bad that we deserve to be in power so you can't control the future of the US.
Actually is does represent the majority of the country. NY and CA do not control the country. Thus monarchy. Maybe your Elite school missed that.

Apparently they do have the votes. And both Barrett and Lagoa underwent full vetting in the last 12-18 months,and were confirmed in bipartisan votes. Breyer was confirmed after Carter lost. O'Connor in 33 days. Ginsburg in less than that.
We only "know" that Romney has agreed to vote. But we don't know if he's a yes vote.

Reactions: Finance85
Apparently they do have the votes. And both Barrett and Lagoa underwent full vetting in the last 12-18 months,and were confirmed in bipartisan votes. Breyer was confirmed after Carter lost. O'Connor in 33 days. Ginsburg in less than that.
We only "know" that Romney has agreed to vote. But we don't know if he's a yes vote.
Imagine Trump’s reaction if Romney drops a NO vote. Twitter would explode.

ADVERTISEMENT