ADVERTISEMENT

Vetting the Justice

But, if Dems do go through the process won't that take some folks off the campaign trail in some of these close races for nearly a month prior to the election??? That might be the single biggest reason to do this.
I imagine Rs will still want to hold court and show off for the cameras even if all the Ds leave town.

Apparently they do have the votes. And both Barrett and Lagoa underwent full vetting in the last 12-18 months,and were confirmed in bipartisan votes. Breyer was confirmed after Carter lost. O'Connor in 33 days. Ginsburg in less than that.
We only "know" that Romney has agreed to vote. But we don't know if he's a yes vote.
I know.

What’s the point of even having a hearing and the vetting process? Republicans are committed to vote for whoever Trump nominates. Spending 30 days attacking the candidate isn’t likely to win any votes for Ds.

In my opinion, they don’t have the votes and should spend the time out campaigning. Leave town and just let the GOP have their circle jerk by themselves while Ds go win the election.

Did I hear murmurs of possible impeachment hearings over this?

It’s funny how Dems think they should get to nominate every Supreme Court justice, and have a hissy fit when they don’t get their way. Thats not the way the process works.

There is a good chance Biden will get to fill 2 SC openings. If Dems control the Senate they can confirm whomever they want, and there is nothing Repubs can do about it.

It’s the Republicans turn right now. Democrats get their turn for the next one.
You're a typical right wing hypocrite. Projectionist.

Please listen the times it has happened because it was an election year?
Irrelevent.

How about this...why don’t you list the number of times a justice has been approved in an election year? Hint....it is greater than zero. A lot more.

Reactions: haw-key
Irrelevent.

How about this...why don’t you list the number of times a justice has been approved in an election year? Hint....it is greater than zero. A lot more.
So in this, you are saying the Garland confirmation should have been brought to the floor of the Senate.

And you are contradicting your own post. You originally claimed that it has happened multiple times that a hearing has been postponed because of an election year. So again, please list where the vote has been postponed because of an election year.

Last edited:
Remember, 83 Hawk claims to be non-partisan and doesn’t like Trump.

Yet the next time he comes down against Trump on an issue will be the first.
You continue to lie.

1. I don’t claim to be non partisan. Never. I definitely have a political leaning. But I don‘t vote in lockstep along party lines, especially in a presidential election.

2. It’s amazing that you continue to claim to know more about who I voted for than I do. LOL! I continue to challenge you to find ONE post by me where I said I voted for Trump. And also to list every post where I said I did NOT. Go ahead......check my posts. I am on record going back to 2016. C’mon......coward. Put up or shut up. But you won’t.....because it will prove you to be the liar that you are. Coward.

You continue to lie.

1. I don’t claim to be non partisan. Never. I definitely have a political leaning. But I don‘t vote in lockstep along party lines, especially in a presidential election.

2. It’s amazing that you continue to claim to know more about who I voted for than I do. LOL! I continue to challenge you to find ONE post by me where I said I voted for Trump. And also to list every post where I said I did NOT. Go ahead......check my posts. I am on record going back to 2016. C’mon......coward. Put up or shut up. But you won’t.....because it will prove you to be the liar that you are. Coward.
I believe you that you didn’t vote for him in 2016. Based on your posts I believe you will vote for him this year, even if you maintain you won’t.

I believe you that you didn’t vote for him in 2016. Based on your posts I believe you will vote for him this year, even if you maintain you won’t.
I’m glad you finally admit to lying. I was just about ready to post this little gem from 11/8/2016:

Nov 8, 2016
I applaud the OP for voting his conscience. He didn't throw his vote away. Bravo sir, bravo.

Personally, I cast my vote by not voting for president. I refuse to sacrifice my beliefs and principles by voting for either Clinton or Trump. I did not research any of the third party candidates so did not feel comfortable voting for any of them.

It is the lemmings who vote party over country that are throwing their vote away.

And there are more from that time period.

Again...I am amazed that you claim to know who I am going to vote for. If he’s still alive and coherent on Election Day, I will be voting for Biden. Believe me or not....I don’t care.

You did nominate one in 2016. Unfortunately you didn’t control the Senate. Next time you will.

Fun fact: 2016 was not the first time the Senate refused to vote on a nominee. It happened several times before that.

Voting on justices isn’t supposed to be a partisan issue. We are headed down a road where the President will not receive a vote on any of his judicial nominations - no matter when they are made during his/her term - unless the President and the Senate are from the same political party. Is that really the path you want this country taking?

Reactions: RileyHawk
We don’t need to nominate every justice but we would appreciate it if we could nominate one when it was our turn.
I seem to recall Obooma got 2 picks when he was the president. All judges should be strict constructionists. Passing law from the bench is not the way the system is supposed to work. Thus all should embrace a true constructionist to preserve the separation of powers.

I’m glad you finally admit to lying. I was just about ready to post this little gem from 11/8/2016:

Nov 8, 2016
I applaud the OP for voting his conscience. He didn't throw his vote away. Bravo sir, bravo.

Personally, I cast my vote by not voting for president. I refuse to sacrifice my beliefs and principles by voting for either Clinton or Trump. I did not research any of the third party candidates so did not feel comfortable voting for any of them.

It is the lemmings who vote party over country that are throwing their vote away.

And there are more from that time period.

Again...I am amazed that you claim to know who I am going to vote for. If he’s still alive and coherent on Election Day, I will be voting for Biden. Believe me or not....I don’t care.
Not lying about anything. I take you at your word you didn’t vote for Trump in 2016. If you say you didn’t, you didn’t.

My belief that you will vote for him in a few weeks is based on your posting history. My opinion.

Not lying about anything. I take you at your word you didn’t vote for Trump in 2016. If you say you didn’t, you didn’t.

My belief that you will vote for him in a few weeks is based on your posting history. My opinion.
Thankfully your opinion counts for nothing. I just told you who I am voting for. So you are wrong again.

You most certainly never “took my word” about who I voted for before today. But now you change your story when proven wrong.

Thankfully your opinion counts for nothing. I just told you who I am voting for. So you are wrong again.

You most certainly never “took my word” about who I voted for before today. But now you change your story when proven wrong.
I’m “proven wrong” because you claim it on a message board?

Ok...

Voting on justices isn’t supposed to be a partisan issue.
Says who?

Surely you ought to be able to vote against someone who has bad values and ideas.

Just ticking off boxes like lawyer, judge, never arrested for pedophilia, etc. isn't sufficient.

What they stand for is important.

And anyone who says they are just there to "call balls and strikes" on conformity with law and established precedent needs to look no further than our current Chief Justice to see how stupid (dishonest?) that reassurance turned out to be.

What’s the point of even having a hearing and the vetting process? Republicans are committed to vote for whoever Trump nominates. Spending 30 days attacking the candidate isn’t likely to win any votes for Ds.

In my opinion, they don’t have the votes and should spend the time out campaigning. Leave town and just let the GOP have their circle jerk by themselves while Ds go win the election.

"Elections have consequences." - Barack Obama

I’m “proven wrong” because you claim it on a message board?

Ok...
I copied a post I made shortly after the 2016 election about my vote. There are literally dozens of others. You think I lied in all of them, even immediately after the election before Trump did one single thing as President?

And my word that I am voting for Biden isn’t “proof” that you are wrong when YOU say I’m voting for Trump?

To use your words.....
You’re an odd guy.

I agree. If the votes are solidified, I think the best course would be for the Dems to abstain from every part of the process. History would remember a 51-0 vote with 49 votes of present. It would make formal the Democrats objection to the proceedings while taking away any ammo the GOP wants to pick up for the general election.

ADVERTISEMENT