ADVERTISEMENT

Video of Salt Lake police shooting autistic 13-year-old

A 13 year old autistic kid running away. Clearly, the Officer was in fear for their life. Cops with GEDs, Glocks, and 4 hours of mental health training responding to a psychiatric emergency of an autistic child. Surprised it didn’t work out.

This is horrible.. the problem is showing cops are all to willing to pull their guns and use them.. that is what needs to be retrained in these cops.. only pull your gun if you feel threatened.

Reactions: Finance85
If only we used more resources/money for community outreach and social work as opposed to funding police military units. Oh wait that would be “defunding.” The horror.
I don't disagree with the first part but the 2nd part is pretty stupid. We piss away tons of tax money and what you're talking about is chump change!!!

Let's start making Amazon and the likes pay taxes, let's quit giving tax money to Amazon facebook pro sports teams etc!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defund the damn politicians.....that's how how shit will change. Wake up and follow me America : D

What did the officer know about the situation?

Recently released body camera footage shows the moment Salt Lake City police officers fired nearly a dozen shots at a 13-year-old boy with autism, leaving him severely injured.

"I don't feel good," Linden could be heard saying on video as officers violently shout at him to "Get on the ground."

At one point the 13-year-old says, "Tell my mom I love her."

The officer's bullets tore through Linden's shoulder, both ankles, intestines and bladder.

Earlier in September, Barton had called 911 earlier saying her son was having a mental breakdown and she needed help getting him to the hospital. She asked for a crisis intervention officer to come to the scene.

"My son has severe, severe, uh — he does not like cops at all, and so that's why we need a mental health worker," her 911 audio says.

Four police officers arrived on the scene. Barton warned them her son feared police because sheriff's deputies shot and killed her father in January.

"He sees the badge and he automatically thinks like, you're gonna kill him or he has to defend himself in some way," she can be heard saying on the body camera video.

Barton also warned officers Linden may have access to a BB gun or prop gun, but did not believe he had it on him.

"I don't believe it's a real gun," she told officers repeatedly.

The officer answered, "So unfortunately, we have to kind of treat them all as if they are."

Will Trumpanzees finally care about police reform now, since it’s a middle class white kid?

Bigger picture, this is inevitable when the “pro-life” crowd decides the gun industry is more important than actual human life.

A good number of police shootings regardless of ethnicity involve someone who was disabled in some form or another. Save your hypocritical outrage for a topic you’re actually familiar with.

Quit interjecting your politics into the discussion

Reactions: farmandfleet
Will Trumpanzees finally care about police reform now, since it’s a middle class white kid?

Bigger picture, this is inevitable when the “pro-life” crowd decides the gun industry is more important than actual human life.
Probably first ever cracker killed by a cop.

Derpity derp

Terrible. I will continue to argue this is the over militarization of police. We need to rethink who we hire, who we train, and what we arm them with.

I agree with you that the police in the United States are extremely over militarized. But in defense of the police, have you seen the insane number of guns and gun nuts in the States? Police forces are a direct reflection of the culture they protect.

Maybe now the democrats will quit blocking police reform bills?

And what does this case have to do with the gun industry?

Damn that is hard to watch. It seems prudent to have all the facts to figure out what happened instead of reacting only to a 30 second video.

You said “A good number of police shootings regardless of ethnicity involve someone who was disabled in some form or another.”

Where were you going with that?

Why would I need to be “going somewhere” with that? GTFO with your ideological arguments. Interjecting Trump into the discussion is stupid and ignorant because this has been going on for a long time. The issues police have dealing with these people is a direct reflection of the overall ignorance of society (including most of you regardless of affiliation) when it comes to their interactions with them.

It’s a fact that a large number of police shootings involve someone with a disability, including the child mentioned in article. I’ve had a gun pulled on me by a police officer who thought I wasn’t complying with his instructions. I’m deaf, I’m quite well aware that anything can happen in such situations.

ADVERTISEMENT