ADVERTISEMENT

View from the Left

Hasn’t he been saying stuff like this for several decades now?

Anybody who sounds as sensible at the age of 93 as they ever did, never made any sense....

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
If you're going to listen to an old guy who knows what they're talking about the Ron Paul is your guy.

Since you need the help - he was not being genuine - he was employing a very hard to identify concept called sarcasm.

Put more simply, it was an insult, not a compliment.

I'm fully aware of his intent,.. I just choose not to argue with people who jump to making these conversations personal.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Anybody who sounds as sensible at the age of 93 as they ever did, never made any sense....
This is a textbook example of one of the right's favorite ways to lie.

First you incorrectly paraphrase the original statement.

Then you attack the person or idea as if your dishonest version is correct.

Original: "Looking old (he's 93) but still making sense."

Dishonest paraphrase: "Anybody who sounds as sensible at the age of 93 as they ever did, never made any sense."

Even the dishonest paraphrase is likely to be wrong. Think about it. If someone still makes sense in their declining years, imagine how much sense they probably made when they were at their peak.

This is a textbook example of one of the right's favorite ways to lie.

First you incorrectly paraphrase the original statement.

Then you attack the person or idea as if your dishonest version is correct.

Original: "Looking old (he's 93) but still making sense."

Dishonest paraphrase: "Anybody who sounds as sensible at the age of 93 as they ever did, never made any sense."

Even the dishonest paraphrase is likely to be wrong. Think about it. If someone still makes sense in their declining years, imagine how much sense they probably made when they were at their peak.

Your response is too wordy and thus ineffective,.. try harder.

If you're going to listen to an old guy who knows what they're talking about the Ron Paul is your guy.
I didn't know Ron Paul's pronouns were "they." This whole pronoun thing is confusing to old farts like me.

Or perhaps RP suffers from multiple personality disorder?

Interestingly enough, Chomsky and Paul have occasionally been on the same side. Opposition to war being one such. Allowing minor party candidates into debates being another.

Hasn’t he been saying stuff like this for several decades now?
Is he wrong?

The climate catastrophe risk is the worst in recorded human history and the nuclear risk is at its highest since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. Plus there's the pandemic and the relentless attack on democracy here and around the globe.

So, sure, he's warned of serious risks before, and he may even have said "it's the worst it's been" previously. But that in no way means he was wrong then or now.

Reactions: blhawk
I like Chomsky. I’ve watched nearly every YouTube video of his the last few months. He is absolutely right on Ukraine (as he mostly was on Afghanistan prior to withdrawal). Too bad he isn't the view from the left.

As Chomsky says, there are two options really. Option one, we can continue to send arms to Ukraine, in which case many more Ukrainians soldiers and civilians will die or be displaced (and Russians to). It will drag out. It could end in a nuclear war (which means no more world). The risk continues to increase the longer this goes on.

Option two, the best option for Ukraine and the world, we could push for a peace agreement while helping Ukraine defend itself. US and Nato withdrawal from the former USSR should be on the table (and possibly that's all it would take). Nato never should have been there. Russia could pay for reparations and rebuilding Ukraine thru their reserve funds and more if necessary. I believe Russia would jump at the opportunity to get out of this but they also won't accept total defeat. We don't want Russia to be N Korea with 6k nukes.

"Ukraine is the most dangerous crisis in the world but also the most easily avoidable." - Noam Chomsky, January 2022

U.S is always the bad guy with Chomsky.

"Ukraine war could have been settled peacefully if not for the U.S"..paraphrasing.

Just STFU
Boom. This is the truth. Guy hates the country that gives him the freedom to publicly hate his country. Hilarious watching him demonize anything and everything American.

Last edited:
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Boom. This is the truth. Guy hates the country that gives him the freedom to publicly hate his country. Hilarious watching him demonize anything and everything American.
And yet that's what makes America ,America and you hate that.

Here's Chomsky discussing Ukraine (also propaganda and the media, to a lesser degree). Pretty good, interesting.

I like Chomsky. I’ve watched nearly every YouTube video of his the last few months. He is absolutely right on Ukraine (as he mostly was on Afghanistan prior to withdrawal). Too bad he isn't the view from the left.

As Chomsky says, there are two options really. Option one, we can continue to send arms to Ukraine, in which case many more Ukrainians soldiers and civilians will die or be displaced (and Russians to). It will drag out. It could end in a nuclear war (which means no more world). The risk continues to increase the longer this goes on.

Option two, the best option for Ukraine and the world, we could push for a peace agreement while helping Ukraine defend itself. US and Nato withdrawal from the former USSR should be on the table (and possibly that's all it would take). Nato never should have been there. Russia could pay for reparations and rebuilding Ukraine thru their reserve funds and more if necessary. I believe Russia would jump at the opportunity to get out of this but they also won't accept total defeat. We don't want Russia to be N Korea with 6k nukes.

"Ukraine is the most dangerous crisis in the world but also the most easily avoidable." - Noam Chomsky, January 2022
So all that needs to happen is that countries that were part of the USSR give up their self-determination. I’m sure they’ll all agree.

What a great solution. Chomsky would have the whole world enslaved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT