ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Rutgers? Here's some info

MrsScrew

HR All-State
Sep 27, 2006
Can't wait for you all to get to NJ and have some fun at SHI stadium.

If you are traveling to NJ for the Rutgers game here's some info:

you can fly into Newark and take NJ transit directly down to New Brunswick. No rental car needed.

Hotels in New Brunswick, both walking distance from the train:

Hyatt (2 blocks from the train)
Heldrich (my personal favorite but about 4 blocks from the train...still an easy walk)

George Street, across from the train station and in the direction of both hotels, is now a pedestrian walkway. All of the restaurants and bars have outdoor seating in the street.

Dining/bar options in downtown New Brunswick either on or just off of George Street:

Harvest Moon
Old Man Rafferty's
George Street Ale House
Tavern on George
Fat Cactus

Fine dining:

Steakhouse 85
Salt (seafood)
Catherine Lombardi (Italian)
Cuzin's Seafood Bar
Frog and the Peach

Other dining options on Easton Avenue

Destination Dogs
Stuff Your Face
Evelyn's
Thomas Sweets for fantastic ice cream!

The student bars are all on Easton Avenue, which is where the train lets you off. Not sure what mood the students are in these days so enter at your own risk:

Old Queens
Corner Tavern
Scarlet Pub
Huey's Knight Club
Golden Railat The Yard, on College Ave you can find R U Hungry and the famous Fat Sandwiches. They used to be part of the Grease Trucks that lost their home when RU built some buildings

Rutgers is spread in 2 towns for their main campus , Piscataway and New Brunswick. They also have campuses in Camden and Newark but, believe me, you don't want to be in either of those cities.

If you go into Manhattan, please for the love of God, do not get on the subway. Manhattan has become a complete s*ithole and the subway is one of the most dangerous places to be. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Do not walk with your phone out like a tourist. Don't wear good jewelry. I was born & raised in NYC and you couldn't pay me to go there right now, but I've seen all there is to see there. If you do go, the 9/11 museum is a must. I think it's something that everyone should visit.

NJ transit will also take you down to Trenton where you can switch to the SEPTA and head into Philly.

Game Day:

There are shuttle buses in downtown New Brunswick that will take you to the stadium.

You can also Uber/Lyft to and from the stadium. RU has a specific drop off/pick up point.

If you are feeling energetic, it's an almost 3 mile walk from downtown NB and this route will take you through bar/restaurant areas : https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40....@40.5018658,-74.4539598,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

If you have a parking pass, follow the signs to your lot. Scarlet & Green are the closest, but a bit boring. A lot of old rich folks hang out there. Yellow and Blue are also close and a lot more fun, with a bit of a younger crowd.

Tailgating starts early. The official "rules" about tailgating say 6 hours before is when you can get in the lots but just ignore that! We start setting mine up at 7am. Walk around the lots, most people will engage you in conversation and offer up a beer. Please note: the police in past years have been awful about giving out underage drinking tickets....$800. Last year they were not so bad and to my knowledge, the first game this year they were not bothering people but be warned!

MAKE SURE TO TRY A PORK ROLL, EGG AND CHEESE SANDWICH!! Food of the NJ Gods!!!

Up near the stadium is our Victory statue as well as the first game statue. Both worth a visit and a photo.

Our team gets off the bus about 2.5 hours before kickoff up near the first game statue, our Scarlet Walk. Fans and the band line up along the first game statue to greet the team. .

This year the main road leading to the stadium is set up as a Jersey Shore Boardwalk with food trucks, games and rides, so there will be plenty of food options if you don't tailgate. There is also a live band performing in the area and a beer garden. IT IS AWESOME. I was so impressed by it all this past weekend. If I didn't have my own tailgate I would be participating in this in a heartbeat. For the Iowa game there will be a Ferris Wheel!!!

***NOTE: Rutgers strictly follows the clear bag/bags smaller than a clutch rule. The security people stand there with rulers sending people away. Don't be that person! Also, no food or drink of any kind is allowed in the stadium (at least food or drink that is visible. What you can get into the stadium in your pockets, down the back of your pants or under your hat is none of their business!) No water bottles, no apples, no candy bars. Nothing. ***

Make sure you add your tickets to your Google/Apple wallet before you get to the stadium. There have been games where everyone is trying to access the app and no one can get to their tickets.

You will find that RU has a pretty lively tailgate scene, because we don't always win the game but we do win the tailgate.

Lastly, the final train out of NB to NYC is 1:38am. there won't be another train until 5:38am.

Map of parking and area around SHI stadium:

https://scarletknights.com/sports/2017/6/11/facilities-parking-html.aspx

Rutgers Visitors Fan Guide

Last edited:
That is super helpful information. Not able to go this year, but the next time we're there--well, we'll be there!

And dangit I really feel that Rutgers is gonna win this one. This year, you're gonna' win the tailgate AND the game

But we'll win the complaining afterward. We're well seasoned in that respect now

@MrsScrew
“…If you go into Manhattan, please for the love of God, do not get on the subway. Manhattan has become a complete s*ithole and the subway is one of the most dangerous places to be.”

when did this transformation happen? very recent?

Thinking about taking the Amtrak (NE Regional) up from the DC area. Looks like the station is not too far from the stadium. Is that walkable (for someone who doesn’t mind walking longer distances)? Is that whole area around the stadium and train station relatively safe?

@MrsScrew
“…If you go into Manhattan, please for the love of God, do not get on the subway. Manhattan has become a complete s*ithole and the subway is one of the most dangerous places to be.”

when did this transformation happen? very recent?

It started under DeBlasio and just kept spiraling down. So many NYPD have left the job the inmates are running the asylum. Every day is another story of someone getting mugged/raped/sucker punched or shoved onto the subway tracks. And a lot of it is occurring in broad daylight.

Thinking about taking the Amtrak (NE Regional) up from the DC area. Looks like the station is not too far from the stadium. Is that walkable (for someone who doesn’t mind walking longer distances)? Is that whole area around the stadium and train station relatively safe?

the Amtrak station is the same as the NJ Transit station. I linked the walking path in my post. It's about a 3 mile walk. I think it's safe.

Can't wait for you all to get to NJ and have some fun at SHI stadium.

If you are traveling to NJ for the Rutgers game here's some info:

you can fly into Newark and take NJ transit directly down to New Brunswick. No rental car needed.

Hotels in New Brunswick, both walking distance from the train:

Hyatt (2 blocks from the train)
Heldrich (my personal favorite but about 4 blocks from the train...still an easy walk)

George Street, across from the train station and in the direction of both hotels, is now a pedestrian walkway. All of the restaurants and bars have outdoor seating in the street.

Dining/bar options in downtown New Brunswick either on or just off of George Street:

Harvest Moon
Old Man Rafferty's
George Street Ale House
Tavern on George
Fat Cactus

Fine dining:

Steakhouse 85
Salt (seafood)
Catherine Lombardi (Italian)
Cuzin's Seafood Bar
Frog and the Peach

Other dining options on Easton Avenue

Destination Dogs
Stuff Your Face
Evelyn's
Thomas Sweets for fantastic ice cream!

The student bars are all on Easton Avenue, which is where the train lets you off. Not sure what mood the students are in these days so enter at your own risk:

Old Queens
Corner Tavern
Scarlet Pub
Huey's Knight Club
Golden Rail

Rutgers is spread in 2 towns for their main campus , Piscataway and New Brunswick. They also have campuses in Camden and Newark but, believe me, you don't want to be in either of those cities.

If you go into Manhattan, please for the love of God, do not get on the subway. Manhattan has become a complete s*ithole and the subway is one of the most dangerous places to be. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Do not walk with your phone out like a tourist. Don't wear good jewelry. I was born & raised in NYC and you couldn't pay me to go there right now, but I've seen all there is to see there. If you do go, the 9/11 museum is a must. I think it's something that everyone should visit.

NJ transit will also take you down to Trenton where you can switch to the SEPTA and head into Philly.

Game Day:

There are shuttle buses in downtown New Brunswick that will take you to the stadium.

You can also Uber/Lyft to and from the stadium. RU has a specific drop off/pick up point.

If you are feeling energetic, it's an almost 3 mile walk from downtown NB and this route will take you through bar/restaurant areas : https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40....@40.5018658,-74.4539598,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

If you have a parking pass, follow the signs to your lot. Scarlet & Green are the closest, but a bit boring. A lot of old rich folks hang out there. Yellow and Blue are also close and a lot more fun, with a bit of a younger crowd.

Tailgating starts early. The official "rules" about tailgating say 6 hours before is when you can get in the lots but just ignore that! We start setting mine up at 7am. Walk around the lots, most people will engage you in conversation and offer up a beer. Please note: the police in past years have been awful about giving out underage drinking tickets....$800. Last year they were not so bad and to my knowledge, the first game this year they were not bothering people but be warned!

Up near the stadium is our Victory statue as well as the first game statue. Both worth a visit and a photo.

Our team gets off the bus about 2.5 hours before kickoff up near the first game statue, our Scarlet Walk. Fans and the band line up along the first game statue to greet the team. .

This year the main road leading to the stadium is set up as a Jersey Shore Boardwalk with food trucks, games and rides, so there will be plenty of food options if you don't tailgate. There is also a live band performing in the area and a beer garden. IT IS AWESOME. I was so impressed by it all this past weekend. If I didn't have my own tailgate I would be participating in this in a heartbeat. For the Iowa game there will be a Ferris Wheel!!!

***NOTE: Rutgers strictly follows the clear bag/bags smaller than a clutch rule. The security people stand there with rulers sending people away. Don't be that person! Also, no food or drink of any kind is allowed in the stadium (at least food or drink that is visible. What you can get into the stadium in your pockets, down the back of your pants or under your hat is none of their business!) No water bottles, no apples, no candy bars. Nothing. ***

Make sure you add your tickets to your Google/Apple wallet before you get to the stadium. There have been games where everyone is trying to access the app and no one can get to their tickets.

You will find that RU has a pretty lively tailgate scene, because we don't always win the game but we do win the tailgate.

Lastly, the final train out of NB to NYC is 1:38am. there won't be another train until 5:38am.

Map of parking and area around SHI stadium:

https://scarletknights.com/sports/2017/6/11/facilities-parking-html.aspx

Rutgers Visitors Fan Guide

I think you've been in NJ too long (as have I...split my time 50/50 between the city and the shore). The subways and Manhattan aren't that bad.

I grew up in NYC pre-Guiliani and it was worse back then and I was never really in fear (in fact as a teen I felt there was no better place to be). Sure things haven't gotten 100% back to how things were prior to the pandemic but NYC was closer to Disney World than the city I grew up in.

Folks...if you are in NYC you'll be more than fine...no need to worry

I think you've been in NJ too long (as have I...split my time 50/50 between the city and the shore). The subways and Manhattan aren't that bad.

I grew up in NYC pre-Guiliani and it was worse back then and I was never really in fear (in fact as a teen I felt there was no better place to be). Sure things haven't gotten 100% back to how things were prior to the pandemic but NYC was closer to Disney World than the city I grew up in.

Folks...if you are in NYC you'll be more than fine...no need to worry

animal-house-kevin-bacon.gif

MrsScrew has provided you with a lot of terrific info. The only thing I disagree with is that I do think NYC subways are safe, for the most part. I literally just took the subway so I could shop at Costco in Harlem. If your wallet can swing it, I’d suggest staying in Times Square, then hoping on Amtrak for the game. It’s roughly $500/night, but how many times do you come to NYC? From New Brunswick station, you can Uber, cab, take a free university bus, or even walk to the stadium, which is roughly two to three miles.

lastly, stage left in New Brunswick and Wolfgangs in nyc serve terrific steaks.

MrsScrew has provided you with a lot of terrific info. The only thing I disagree with is that I do think NYC subways are safe, for the most part. I literally just took the subway so I could shop at Costco in Harlem. If your wallet can swing it, I’d suggest staying in Times Square, then hoping on Amtrak for the game. It’s roughly $500/night, but how many times do you come to NYC? From New Brunswick station, you can Uber, cab, take a free university bus, or even walk to the stadium, which is roughly two to three miles.

lastly, stage left in New Brunswick and Wolfgangs in nyc serve terrific steaks.
Geeeeez, stereotype much? You think us Iowans are just gonna want to eat steak when we’re there? We can get great steaks HERE!!

You’re absolutely right, we’re gonna want steak.

:)

Thanks for the Info. As luck would have it I'm going to be on the East coast for a personal trip that weekend. I just realized today I could probably swing in for the game but I'm just not sure it's worth it with the product Iowa is putting on the field. The Manhattan info was interesting as I'll be in the Lower East Side that following Monday for my first trip to NYC. Unless the coaching staff figures something out I'd take Rutgers straight up. Maybe we get some receivers back for that game, who knows. Think it will be a "good" one (close, maybe not good).

She’s right about everything except NYC. Its perfectly safe pretty much everywhere a tourist would go. I’m there every day and ridethe subway every day and never see anything dangerous. Same as any city, don’t go into the projects and you’re fine. Manhattan is essentially crime free compared to most other big cities except for Harlem but Harlem is a lot of fun anyway

Reactions: LinusPF
Geeeeez, stereotype much? You think us Iowans are just gonna want to eat steak when we’re there? We can get great steaks HERE!!
He's right... I didn't catch one mention of the preferred gas station pizza or bars that actually have Busch Light!

In all honesty that actually makes Rutgers sound like a fun trip. Unfortunately with the state of the program right now I don't even have the ambition to go to Iowa City to watch 3 and outs and punts.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Easiest way to get from Times Square to the stadium? NJ Train? I think this was on a previous thread but I can't find. Looks like there is only one amtrak train daily and it's really early on that Saturday morning. Thanks!

Easiest way to get from Times Square to the stadium? NJ Train? I think this was on a previous thread but I can't find. Looks like there is only one amtrak train daily and it's really early on that Saturday morning. Thanks!

Walk to Penn station on 8th ave then take the NJ Transit, Northeast corridor line, get off in New Brunswick. Then walk or uber over to the stadium. Just remember, the last train out of New Brunswick back to the city is 1:38am. Next one is 5:38am.

Subway to Penn station then NJ transit to New Brunswick. Short walk to where the busses are on College Ave are that go to the stadium

@Franisdaman can someone share my post over on the pay board? I know someone there was asking questions awhile ago and taggedd me. I can read over there but can't post. (or if someone wants to give me posting privileges I'll do it myself :) )

Not a fan of Times Square. Lots of great places in NY. Not saying bad things dont happen but it is probably reasonably safe.

Thanks for the Info. As luck would have it I'm going to be on the East coast for a personal trip that weekend. I just realized today I could probably swing in for the game but I'm just not sure it's worth it with the product Iowa is putting on the field. The Manhattan info was interesting as I'll be in the Lower East Side that following Monday for my first trip to NYC. Unless the coaching staff figures something out I'd take Rutgers straight up. Maybe we get some receivers back for that game, who knows. Think it will be a "good" one (close, maybe not good).
Did you watch Rutgers play yesterday against Temple? I wouldn't be too sure about your bet. hawks win this one in a fistfight.....

Did you see any of the Rutgers game vs Temple? I'm not sure you'd be to confident about betting on them. Hawks in a tight one, but Rutgers doesn't get past 10 points barring several short field turnovers. (Sorry Mrs Screw). As for the WR's they played yesterday. Did you miss the game?

Did you see any of the Rutgers game vs Temple? I'm not sure you'd be to confident about betting on them. Hawks in a tight one, but Rutgers doesn't get past 10 points barring several short field turnovers. (Sorry Mrs Screw). As for the WR's they played yesterday. Did you miss the game?

Yesterday was a fugly win for RU. Fugly.

I live in NYC, it’s fine to use subways , walk etc until about 8 / 9 pm . Then you can take the advice above

Why do we sometimes hear “New Brunswick” and other times “Piscataway” for Rutgers?

Why do we sometimes hear “New Brunswick” and other times “Piscataway” for Rutgers?
The school was founded and is largely located in the City of New Brunswick. Large portions of campus (including the stadium) are across the river in Piscataway Township. Rutgers-camden and Rutgers-newark are separate institutions under the same umbrella.

ADVERTISEMENT