ADVERTISEMENT

Vitamin D and Covid

It trends that way because obesity leads to other issues that definitely affect morbidity. But it’s not the defining cause.
I get that but it sure is easy for a lot of posters to throw out generalities about overweight people and Covid.

Again, I believe we should encourage healthier lifestyles, I could stand to lose 50 pounds myself.

However, there is almost a complete disregard for overweight people who've died of Covid on this board like, "Whelp, no big deal, it was just some fat person that died." Some seriously insensitive people on this board, not surprisingly.

This thread really makes you wonder why America's Frontline Doctors were charging $100 a "consult" to get people ivermectin prescriptions, when all they had to do was tell them to hit Vitamin Cottage for a bottle of Vitamin D, or drink a glass of milk a day.
This i agree with. I don’t think vitamin d supplements are the end all be all. I think they are part of a tool chest that can help in some patients. Of course, I think we both agree the vaccine is the best tool.

I get that but it sure is easy for a lot of posters to throw out generalities about overweight people and Covid.

Again, I believe we should encourage healthier lifestyles, I could stand to lose 50 pounds myself.

However, there is almost a complete disregard for overweight people who've died of Covid on this board like, "Whelp, no big deal, it was just some fat person that died." Some seriously insensitive people on this board, not surprisingly.
Two years is plenty of time to get in shape.
If we are going to demonize those that are not vaccinated how about we do the same that have cost the healthcare system trillions of dollars?

I am a big fan of a mandatory yearly weigh in. If you are overweight you pay a higher payroll tax. If you refuse to be weighed we will just assume you are overweight.

we have cigarette taxes. A weight tax is no different.

Reactions: Hawk_82
If we are going to demonize those that are not vaccinated how about we do the same that have cost the healthcare system trillions of dollars?

I am a big fan of a mandatory yearly weigh in. If you are overweight you pay a higher payroll tax. If you refuse to be weighed we will just assume you are overweight.

You're right, it's just that easy for millions of overweight people to get in shape. Enjoy your obsession with hating on overweight people, guy.

Reactions: noleclone2
You're right, it's just that easy for millions of overweight people to get in shape. Enjoy your obsession with hating on overweight people, guy.
you are not a fan of personal responsibility.

the biggest drain on this country’s health system is obesity. Those that are should pay more.

Last edited:
Definitely not clicking on a link to 'the blaze.'

To me, there's no reason to automatically think that Vitamin D doesn't help/work.

That said, and I'm not an expert on medical studies although I've read more in the past two years than I'd ever imagined, it takes one hell of a study to justify coming to a conclusion like "therefore, it is essential for COVID-19 treatment."

Virtually nothing in Covid even after all this time has the data to make such definitive judgements, and certainly not a study of this magnitude. You need a hell of a lot more than this to make that statement, and whenever I see a study that goes that far in its conclusion, I'm pretty well inclined to dismiss out of hand it as politically motivated or the authors chasing clout.

If it said something like "demonstrates a possible link between better recovery outcomes and vitamin D that should be further studied" that's one thing. But I have a hard time accepting a proclamation like this as coming from an honest actor.

Always "go to the scorecards"

We should note that the patients that were treated with vitamin D were vitamin D deficient or insufficient (serum 25OHD levels < 30 ng/mL).

I think you'll find if you search on my name and "Vitamin D" you'll identify several posts where I explained months ago that this only helps in patients with an actual Vitamin D deficiency, and is thus mostly useless for the general "non-deficient in Vitamin D" patients.

always go to the score card.

42% of Americans are vitamin D deficient
90% of African Americans are also
A high percentage of hospitalized Americans with Covid 19 were also

always go to the score card.

42% of Americans are vitamin D deficient
90% of African Americans are also
A high percentage of hospitalized Americans with Covid 19 were also

Easier: get vaccinated.

Quit posting tropes you get on FB with the false implication that Vitamin D is some sort of "magical cure". The deficiency relation has been known about for over a year now.

girl-sure-jan.gif

Always "go to the scorecards"

We should note that the patients that were treated with vitamin D were vitamin D deficient or insufficient (serum 25OHD levels < 30 ng/mL).

I think you'll find if you search on my name and "Vitamin D" you'll identify several posts where I explained months ago that this only helps in patients with an actual Vitamin D deficiency, and is thus mostly useless for the general "non-deficient in Vitamin D" patients.
Joe, in our small group Family Practice, we literally test all of our patients’ Vit D level for at least the last 15 years. Don’t care if others think we are Qwaks. Anyway, for those not already taking it, the average is somewhere between 20-21. So using the <30 ng/ml parameter, I would estimate about 95% of the population not already taking Vit D is deficient/insufficient. So either the normal range is wrong or just about everyone here in sunny SoCal has Vit D deficiency. Since there is a such thing as Vit D toxicity, when in doubt, I recommend 2000 units per day for everyone. Those with obesity or significantly too low, ie <15, I write them the 50k dose. At any rate, I honestly think there’s no harm in pushing 2000 units per day for the general public (adults) for the foreseeable future. Just my two cents

Joe, in our small group Family Practice, we literally test all of our patients’ Vit D level for at least the last 15 years. Don’t care if others think we are Qwaks. Anyway, for those not already taking it, the average is somewhere between 20-21. So using the <30 ng/ml parameter, I would estimate about 95% of the population not already taking Vit D is deficient/insufficient. So either the normal range is wrong or just about everyone here in sunny SoCal has Vit D deficiency. Since there is a such thing as Vit D toxicity, when in doubt, I recommend 2000 units per day for everyone. Those with obesity or significantly too low, ie <15, I write them the 50k dose. At any rate, I honestly think there’s no harm in pushing 2000 units per day for the general public (adults) for the foreseeable future. Just my two cents
I don't wanna be a dick, but this is the first post I've seen over here. If you're actually family med, why are you screening for this? What's your patient population? It makes a bit more sense for an internist (like myself) who mainly sees elderly adults. Although admittedly I'm a hospitalist who does no outpatient medicine.

We don't reqlly know the "average" vitamin d level, we just assume >30 is fine. There's been few reports of actual toxicity. I think it's fine to advocate for 2000 units daily for your patients (especially in winter in the Midwest), but I question the thinking behind 50K units (I'm assuming this is a weekly dose)

Fake account.

This thread really makes you wonder why America's Frontline Doctors were charging $100 a "consult" to get people ivermectin prescriptions, when all they had to do was tell them to hit Vitamin Cottage for a bottle of Vitamin D, or drink a glass of milk a day.
I drink plenty of milk each day, as a youth my parents said they had to buy 4-5 gallons each week between my bro and I. I credit never having a broken bone to milk. Also never brushed my teeth with any regularity growing up well into my 20s and they have always been pearly whites, also credit milk to that.

Is it, now?

#SomeoneDidn'tReadTheLink
But really though, now that the regular season is over, how many children died at the Children's Hospital across from Kinnick because of all the covid super spreader events?

Must be in the thousands by now........

And hey, as morbid a question as it sounds, you're the one that said it was a major concern. I'm just following up on that. Ya know......fact-checking.

Reactions: hawkeye54545

“Similarly, critically ill patients have a very high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency, and low vitamin D levels are clearly associated with greater illness severity, morbidity, and mortality in both adult and pediatric intensive care unit (ICU) patients, as well as medical and surgical ICUs.”

Reactions: your_master5

“Similarly, critically ill patients have a very high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency, and low vitamin D levels are clearly associated with greater illness severity, morbidity, and mortality in both adult and pediatric intensive care unit (ICU) patients, as well as medical and surgical ICUs.”
Sep 26, 2020

OP is making it out like this is some exciting "new" revelation.

Did you see their responses when it was mostly the elderly? "They were gonna die of something anyway" was a common refrain. Calling them seriously insensitive is kinder than I would be.

LMAO. Sorry a chubby guy ran off with your wife. But you still have potential.
Potentialassmuncher.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT