ADVERTISEMENT

Vitamin D and Covid

Somehow fans that weren't vaccinated packing into stadiums in September is the reason that Covid is spreading now according to Torbee and Joe.

You might want to start a new thread because you got your @ss majorly kicked in this one. The funniest part is you specifically called for Joe to show up and he made you look like a fool. You're that tough guy who talks a big story and picks a fight and then goes down with one punch.

I got that much. It's the rest of the breakdown that seems needlessly complicated mixed in with a lot of statistical magic.

This is what is most bothersome to me, not just about the "news" following being given to this "non-breakthrough study".

That the study itself seems to be simply a propaganda play.

They admit within the study that they ONLY compared Vitamin-D deficient patients, NOT ALL patients.

So:
  • Why is that not reflected, explicitly, in the title?
  • Why is it not even mentioned within the abstract?

Any editor worth his salt would reject this paper without those clear additions being included, to avoid misleading people on a topic that has already been well understood for more than a year.

The only conclusion I can draw from this, is that this is simply a propaganda play, to make Covid appear much less concerning, and that "Vitamin D is the cure" to folks who are unaware of the context and details. Either to do so within their own country (where perhaps civil unrest from Covid is creating problems), or more broadly, on social media.

I can understand politically motivated 'sites' being taken in by this nonsense. But it's unfortunate to have actual journals and their editorial staff taken in. There doesn't appear to be anything "wrong" with the work they did here; just that it's being oversold and misrepresented to people who won't know any better. E.g. 100% of the folks who called me out in the thread.

And if the point is to make Vitamin D deficiency something to bring higher public awareness to, that could easily have also been a main focus.

This is what is most bothersome to me, not just about the "news" following being given to this "non-breakthrough study".

That the study itself seems to be simply a propaganda play.

They admit within the study that they ONLY compared Vitamin-D deficient patients, NOT ALL patients.

So:
  • Why is that not reflected, explicitly, in the title?
  • Why is it not even mentioned within the abstract?

Any editor worth his salt would reject this paper without those clear additions being included, to avoid misleading people on a topic that has already been well understood for more than a year.

The only conclusion I can draw from this, is that this is simply a propaganda play, to make Covid appear much less concerning, and that "Vitamin D is the cure" to folks who are unaware of the context and details. Either to do so within their own country (where perhaps civil unrest from Covid is creating problems), or more broadly, on social media.

I can understand politically motivated 'sites' being taken in by this nonsense. But it's unfortunate to have actual journals and their editorial staff taken in. There doesn't appear to be anything "wrong" with the work they did here; just that it's being oversold and misrepresented to people who won't know any better. E.g. 100% of the folks who called me out in the thread.

And if the point is to make Vitamin D deficiency something to bring higher public awareness to, that could easily have also been a main focus.
Why would anyone need to bring higher public awareness to Vitamin D deficiency when you told us(with no data) that most people don't have a deficiency?

Nobody is saying it is a cure Joe. People are wondering why it hasn't been pushed a little more by our public officials as part of the 'tool in the toolboox' to combat Covid. Instead our tools consist of 'stay locked up in your house' and 'wear a piece of cloth over your face.'

Reactions: hawkosx
Why would anyone need to bring higher public awareness to Vitamin D deficiency when you told us(with no data) that most people don't have a deficiency?

Nobody is saying it is a cure Joe. People are wondering why it hasn't been pushed a little more by our public officials as part of the 'tool in the toolboox' to combat Covid. Instead our tools consist of 'stay locked up in your house' and 'wear a piece of cloth over your face.'

Still trying to work an angle to make you feel better about your stupid post.

Covid can impact people with preexisting conditions and I know that's been well known. Vitamin D deficiency is technically a preexisting condition that needs to be fixed for a number of reasons, not just Covid. If you walked in the hospital and had a different deficiency, the doctors would address those as well.

Reactions: Joes Place
Still trying to work an angle to make you feel better about your stupid post.

Covid can impact people with preexisting conditions and I know that's been well known. Vitamin D deficiency is technically a preexisting condition that needs to be fixed for a number of reasons, not just Covid. If you walked in the hospital and had a different deficiency, the doctors would address those as well.
A pre-existing condition that can be fixed very easily, yet very little from our public officials on the benefits.

Most people do not have a deficiency.
One of your buddies even posted info on that.

But when it is linked to more severe disease risks, kinda makes sense to make people aware (even IF they are a minority), wouldn't you agree?

BTW: that is NOT what your links do.

Did you forget the highly effective vaccines in the tool box or is that not Team Red approved?

Did you forget the highly effective vaccines in the tool box or is that not Team Red approved?
Nope should be at the top of the list but for some reason Team Blue says we have to keep masking and even possibly locking down in the future again, even with vaccines.

Nope should be at the top of the list but for some reason Team Blue says we have to keep masking and even possibly locking down in the future again, even with vaccines.

Let me guess in your world Team Blue says keep masking and locking down, yet Team Red isn't saying no to vaccination measures.

Is it also still weird in coff's world that the government isn't pushing Vitamin D more even though you posted a tweet with the following: Vitamin D has an ideal blood level--Both too little & too much aren't good, so blood testing is required.

Reactions: lucas80
A pre-existing condition that can be fixed very easily, yet very little from our public officials on the benefits.

If you've ever had a physical and had blood work you would know whether you're V-D deficient or not. If so you should already be taking care of it. Again, this isn't a covid thing but rather general health.

Somehow fans that weren't vaccinated packing into stadiums in September is the reason that Covid is spreading now according to Torbee and Joe.
Don’t put words in my mouth twatwaffle. I went to every single home game at Kinnick.

It’s the mouthbreathers that refuse to get vaccd that are driving nearly the entire current surge.

always go to the score card.

42% of Americans are vitamin D deficient
90% of African Americans are also
A high percentage of hospitalized Americans with Covid 19 were also
I saw an article recently that described Vitamin D as a pandemic.

Why is it that a ‘pandemic’ was declared for covid when it had infected <<<1% of the population but 90% of AA’s being deficient in vit D is a big nothingburger?

People’s devotion to all things Pharma is puzzling, eh?

Reactions: hawkland14
I don't wanna be a dick, but this is the first post I've seen over here. If you're actually family med, why are you screening for this? What's your patient population? It makes a bit more sense for an internist (like myself) who mainly sees elderly adults. Although admittedly I'm a hospitalist who does no outpatient medicine.

We don't reqlly know the "average" vitamin d level, we just assume >30 is fine. There's been few reports of actual toxicity. I think it's fine to advocate for 2000 units daily for your patients (especially in winter in the Midwest), but I question the thinking behind 50K units (I'm assuming this is a weekly dose)

Haha, don’t post much. Don’t like getting into pissing matches with all of you. And you have to admit, you guys liking pissing matches here.

If you’re a practicing physician, check the next 20 patients’s level. I would be shocked if you find one person with a level >30 who is not taking any Vit D, rx or OTC. Don’t worry about coverage as long as you have ICD-10 E55.9
Yes 50k is weekly. Not a big fan of it but sometimes it’s absolutely needed and then some. Why am I screening? That’s just it. If the average is 20-21, and about 20% are less than 15, am I “screening.” As I mentioned in another thread that I can recall, our practice to date have had only three deaths due to COVID. Considering we see 55 patients a day, 6 days a week, I think that’s a pretty low rate. Is it due to us pimping Vit D? I can’t prove it, but yea I think it’s got something to do with it. I know…all anecdotal, so CSB as people here would call it.

Here’s a couple of old , related threads/posts for your entertainment to show you I’m for real, lol. Might even learn something even though super old.

Rates are up. Hospitalizations are up. Deaths are up.
A lot of people are making bad choices, apparently.
Or, if you haven’t figured it out, this virus is seasonal and there really is nothing that mitigation tactics are going to do to stop it.

I mean South Korea is highly vaccinated, have been very strict with mitigation policies and had a record amount of cases today. Your narrative has been wrong this entire time but because of Team Blue politics you continue to live in an alternate universe.

Last edited:
Or, if you haven’t figured it out, this virus is seasonal and there really is nothing that mitigation tactics are going to do to stop it.

I mean South Korea is highly vaccinated, have been very strict with mitigation policies and had a record amount of cases today.

Now, look at SK in comparison to Your Faves List:

I'd say there are CLEARLY mitigation tactics that work.

I mean South Korea is highly vaccinated, have been very strict with mitigation policies and had a record amount of cases today. Your narrative has been wrong this entire time but because of Team Blue politics you continue to live in an alternate universe.

A random twitter person says that South Korea has 99% mask mandate compliance while also saying that SK is bringing back mask mandates... They also say South Korea has 80% vaccination rate and that SK is bringing back vaccine passports... what does that mean in your universe coff?

I've read through the actual setup and still can't figure out exactly what they did or why they broke groups down as they did. Low patient numbers in a single location, no comorbidities in some groups but not others, Not a strong study, for sure.
I don't think vitamin d alone makes a huge difference on covid. but vitamin d has a correlation with serum sodium and I think this is the real key.

Hyponatremia is a common symptom of infection, specifically pneumonia. Hyponatremia leads to hypotension, inflammation in the lungs, fluid shifts to the pulmonary system and the pneumonia gets worse. all this leads to kidney injury and other organ failure.

I think obesity is more of a marker for increased risk of mortality rather than the actual cause. At least until you reach a bmi of 40, in which obesity becomes an actual reason for a higher risk of mortality. What I mean by this, is that obesity <40 bmi is more so related to unhealthy habits such as drinking, smoking, poor nutrition, and inactivity. All of these things increase your chance of getting pneumonia.

Once you reach higher bmi, then you have lots of problems increasing your risk.

Basically if you prevent pneumonia, you can avoid severe covid.

There's a compelling demographic correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and COVID deaths. While Joes Place got on board with Vitamin D at some point, he's right that it really only helps where there's a deficiency. Joes Place downplays how many people actually have a deficiency. That deficiency is more common in people having darker skin, and older people. Vitamin D, along with Zinc, inhibit virus replication in blood cells. There's a point in the virus replication process where it's too late for either to be an effective treatment.

The "Vitamin D" topic here?

Nothing.
You and your buds are changing the subject.
Lol another patented deflection by Joe.

Should I make a separate thread for your misguided projection, then, Joe?

Would that appease you more, since you don't want it interfering with this thread on covid and Vitamin D?

Is that what I'm to gather from your deflection response?........ ;)

I'm not changing the subject. I'm just taking the opportunity here and now to get you to dance around admitting you were factually wrong about a really f***ing stupid take back in September..............and you're not disappointing one bit. :cool:

But like I said, we could draw more attention to it by starting its own thread where you can pretend to ignore that as well. Your choice, Joe. Sick children are in danger after all, because of Iowa football.

This needs to be addressed!!!!!

Joes Place downplays how many people actually have a deficiency.
Where?

My statement was MOST Americans do not have a Vit-D deficiency. That is fully true.
Along with Vitamin D being used for over a YEAR in people with Covid.

There's a compelling demographic correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and COVID deaths. While Joes Place got on board with Vitamin D at some point, he's right that it really only helps where there's a deficiency. Joes Place downplays how many people actually have a deficiency. That deficiency is more common in people having darker skin, and older people. Vitamin D, along with Zinc, inhibit virus replication in blood cells. There's a point in the virus replication process where it's too late for either to be an effective treatment.
Per this article: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-deficiency-symptoms#_noHeaderPrefixedContent

According to one review, 41.6% of adults in the United States are deficient. This number goes up to 69.2% in Hispanic adults and 82.1% in African American adults.

Reactions: hawkosx
And that review cited was 10 years old. The widespread deficiency will continue to grow because of our modern lifestyles.
Not sure what the current #s are, but perhaps Joe can link to a source that shows the current or a more recent stats that he is going off. Even if he accepted the #s from the article I provided, he was technically correct with most adults not being vitamin D deficient since it has 41.6 % being deficient. Seems to me that is still a pretty large percentage than what I am assuming he was saying although he didn't provide an exact #, it seems to me his language that that it was 25% or less that were Vitamin D deficient.

Reactions: shank hawk

Well, if you can't trust a tweet by the esteemed IM, I don't know who you can trust anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT