ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Did Fran do right thing by not shaking hands?

Was Fran right in instructing team to not shake hands?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Fran has been around basketball a long time.

Please watch the video clips from BTN's twitter account: https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork

As he stated, "I wasn't pleased with how the game ended....I was not having it. It's not the way to play....The games over. We don't need Pete getting knocked to the floor. We don't need guys getting up in Jordan's face. Nicolas Baer's head getting chopped off. We don't need it. Game's over. Move on."

He is going to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FOR IOWA....he has been doing that since he got here; remember how he had to fight to get respect from officials?

But, should the team still have shaken hands?

Reactions: HemiHawk
Who cares, Fran did what he felt was what needed to be done at the time. I can see no harm or problem with his response to the situation. Shaking hands is a wonderful gesture IMO but again it's just my opinion but I feel the handshake should reflect a respect for one another or a burying of the hatchet so to speak. It appears this wasn't the right time or place for that in that moment.
Ps. I wasn't there, I didn't watch, but did see his accounting in the post game and he did answer the question directly. Case closed let's get ready fir Thursdays game

From ESPN.com:

McCaffery said in a similar situation, he pulled his team entirely, but he did not this time -- although he said he was leery of a potential confrontation in the handshake line. Horner had words with some Iowa players and assistant Kirk Speraw, according to the Cedar Rapids Gazette, in what remained of the handshake line.

"I worked here for eight years, that's why I was frustrated -- Coach Horner played here," Jones said in his postgame remarks to reporters. "We want to come here and play well. We want our family and friends to be proud of what we're doing and be respected. I get the heat of it. It's just the heat of the moment. Coach [McCaffery] is a high character guy. I'm not blaming that. There were some things down the stretch that both teams could have cleaned up. We have to learn from those situations."

As for Baldwin's final play, Jones said he would address that as well.

"The kid is a competitive kid. We'll handle that," Jones said. "Our kids are trying to compete. They're not malicious kids. They're good kids. They're trying to compete until the final horn goes off."

full story: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-dakota-fighting-hawks-questionable-late-play

From what I've read this morning so far people have really undersold the potential of a punch getting thrown.... by Fran

Fran did the right thing. It would have been pointless PC BS to congratulate that classless bunch from ND. Anybody who is a competitor understands that. The shaking hands after the game thing means nothing anyway. To do it under those circumstances would have been even more hypocritical than it usually is.

Oh, and remember the incidents mild-mannered Lute Olson had in his tenure at Iowa. Not to mention Ralph Miller.

I'm one Iowa fan and alum who's proud of Fran for making the statement. Iowa won't pretend to like that BS. Everybody else can think and do whatever they want.

I couldn't watch the game and I only saw the last play at the end. Can someone tell me what else occurred that Fran was referring to?

I couldn't watch the game and I only saw the last play at the end. Can someone tell me what else occurred that Fran was referring to?
There was a dead ball tech assessed to Bohannon with like 30 secnods left where their kid was bear hugging JBo, and JBo tried a forearm shove to his chest to get the kid off him. JBo's forearm ended up going a little higher than the chest and the kid flopped big time. With like 10 seconds left (I think, it's kind of a blur right now) Jok got drilled in the back and sent to the floor. Then the last 2 seconds you know about.

Reactions: SPGroth
There was a dead ball tech assessed to Bohannon with like 30 secnods left where their kid was bear hugging JBo, and JBo tried a forearm shove to his chest to get the kid off him. JBo's forearm ended up going a little higher than the chest and the kid flopped big time. With like 10 seconds left (I think, it's kind of a blur right now) Jok got drilled in the back and sent to the floor. Then the last 2 seconds you know about.
Ah. I figured there had to be more. Still would have liked to see the hand shake and then tell the ND AD and Barta that they will never be welcomed back. But not a big deal IMO.

I voted yes he was right. But he did it wrong. He just left the court while waving his arm for the team to come instead of instructing his team to leave the court. I feel bad for the kids that were just left out there and didn't see him wave his arm to go back.

Would have been more impressive of a diss if he huddled the team while UND was waiting in a line, and then walked them off together and left UND standing there hanging.

The last 1 min of the game nd looked absolutely bush league, it didn't look to me like "they were just playing competitive ball and not giving up until the buzz", it looked cheap and unnecessary type of behavior from their players and their coach did nothing about it! I'm with Fran on this one!

You can take the boy out of Philly but you can't take Philly out of the boy.

Keep winning Franny!

Reactions: 24 so far
Pemsl wasn't being a saint out there though. Physical play is going to happen. Our young guys need a role model. Keep your cool. React later as you see fit.

Fran did the right thing. It would have been pointless PC BS to congratulate that classless bunch from ND. Anybody who is a competitor understands that. The shaking hands after the game thing means nothing anyway. To do it under those circumstances would have been even more hypocritical than it usually is.

Oh, and remember the incidents mild-mannered Lute Olson had in his tenure at Iowa. Not to mention Ralph Miller.

I'm one Iowa fan and alum who's proud of Fran for making the statement. Iowa won't pretend to like that BS. Everybody else can think and do whatever they want.

normally, in the hand shake line you say "good game."

uh, there was not much "good" in the "game" towards the end, so i can see Fran's point

I just wish that at the beginning of EVERY SEASON Fran would tell his players and coaches that if at the end of the game, if he turns and heads to the locker room, they are to follow. iowa players were completely confused on what was going on.

From ESPN.com:

We want our family and friends to be proud of what we're doing and be respected. I get the heat of it. It's just the heat of the moment. Coach [McCaffery] is a high character guy. I'm not blaming that. There were some things down the stretch that both teams could have cleaned up. We have to learn from those situations."
y

I got news for Coach Jones. His family and friends WILL NOT be proud of him and his team. They will, however, be ashamed.

AT THE 3 MINUTE MARK, watch a ND player run right over JoBo; it did not look incidental at all. No foul was called either. ND then buried a 3 pointer. I am sure Fran was not happy about this, either.

Reactions: garberhawkeye
I think a ND player also hit PJ in the nuts in the 2nd half which sent PJ to the bench in pain for quite a while. PJ certainly had no qualms about heading to the locker room right behind Fran and I can't blame him.

Reactions: EZ2BJZ
Lining up to defend a mediocre coach with a track record of acting like a tool.

Lining up to defend a mediocre coach with a track record of acting like a tool.
That's the way it works. Hell, there are still Iowa posters around here that will defend Alfraud with their last breath. Which can't come soon enough for me.

ADVERTISEMENT