ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: DJ Carton will Commit to which of these 6 schools? 49% So Far Say He's Headed to IOWA

DJ Carton will Commit to which of these 6 schools?

• Ohio State

• Iowa

• MIchigan

• Marquette

• Indiana

• Xavier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Bettendorf's DJ Carton is down to 6 schools. My gut says that he will want to play with his friends and that he will want to play close to family. He will want to play right away and he will play a lot at....you guessed it, the University of Iowa.

Your turn! What does your gut tell you? Which of the 6 remaining schools does DJ pick?

Last edited:
I feel better about our chances ... Other schools get PGs like they are a dime a dozen. Iowa needs DJ to be a Hawkeye. He'll have a nice supporting cast in Iowa City and DJ knows he is our #1 priority.

Michigan is the hot name right now ... but in my opinion if he does stay Big 10 (which I am guessing he will - I don't see Xavier or Marquette winning out) then I think he will ultimately select the Hawks.

I feel better about our chances ... Other schools get PGs like they are a dime a dozen. Iowa needs DJ to be a Hawkeye. He'll have a nice supporting cast in Iowa City and DJ knows he is our #1 priority.

Michigan is the hot name right now ... but in my opinion if he does stay Big 10 (which I am guessing he will - I don't see Xavier or Marquette winning out) then I think he will ultimately select the Hawks.

If DJ picks Michigan, he probably won't be a starter until his junior year. I think the UM hype is overblown. But then again, I don't know what these recruiting analysts are hearing from their sources. Maybe he's starstruck.

I don't think Fran has been able to show he can coach up talent yet and I hope that doesn't end up hurting him.

The Michigan hype generates around the fact that they can assemble a roster and coach them up. They also seem to be ready in March every year. Before Beilein Michigan only made the tournament once from '97-'08. They have made it 8 out of 11 tries since Beilein took over and have made 5 Sweet 16's and 2 National Title games.

Indiana could be a sleeper.

I am surprised that so far 85% of the vote is going to just 2 schools: Iowa and MeCheatAGain Is it really down to 2 schools?

I am also surprised that Iowa is leading the poll.

It goes without saying that this would be a huge get for Fran and for the Iowa program.

We finally need to land that elite point guard.

It would suck if we lose him to a B1G school and then have to watch him succeed there.

Reactions: jellyfish10
If DJ picks Michigan, he probably won't be a starter until his junior year. I think the UM hype is overblown. But then again, I don't know what these recruiting analysts are hearing from their sources. Maybe he's starstruck.
What’s overblown about Michigan?

I am surprised that so far 85% of the vote is going to just 2 schools: Iowa and MeCheatAGain Is it really down to 2 schools?

I am also surprised that Iowa is leading the poll.

It goes without saying that this would be a huge get for Fran and for the Iowa program.

We finally need to land that elite point guard.

It would suck if we lose him to a B1G school and then have to watch him succeed there.

You’re surprised Iowa is leading the poll? I believe this is an Iowa board, at least the last time I looked.

One of DJ’s teammates at Bett, Tyler Russo, made a 2-part video about DJ. Part 1 is mostly clips from high school games and then DJ playing a video game in his basement (Fortnite, for those interested, which as it happens Jordan is also a huge fan of...)

Part 2 (link below) shows DJ at a Saturday workout. Guess who else was at that workout and makes a cameo? .... Joe Wieskamp. For what it’s worth. They probably go to a lot of the same workouts, so I hope Joe is giving him an earful about the Hawkeyes every time.

http://dayinthelifetophighschoolrec...8/05/day-in-life-of-dj-carton-part-2.html?m=1

Last edited:
You’re surprised Iowa is leading the poll? I believe this is an Iowa board, at least the last time I looked.

Well, if you actually stop and think about it:

* Not many on here are confident in Fran's recruiting ability, especially when it comes to "elite" point guards.

* When you consider that IU, Michigan (especially) and Ohio State are in the mix, you would think that would damper fans' hopes.

Nevertheless, Iowa is currently in the lead with Michigan a strong second.

Just two schools making up 81% of the current vote is definitely a surprise. I thought Iowa might be getting 20% to 30% (at best) of the vote and would be trailing, not leading.

Who knows what DJ (or any kid for that matter) is thinking.

Last year at this time many were saying he would end up at Wisconsin.

I will say this: The pressure this kid must be feeling to stay in-state has to be enormous. With Weiskamp and PMac and likely Foster in 2020, Fran has a lot to sell this kid on. Ultimately, I think there's a good chance DJ picks Iowa.

Michigan, Fran never closes the deal on these players. He will finish second again.

This is exactly how I see it going as well. We're constantly coming in 2nd with these kids. The only thing that could possibly change it this time is if his family feels it is important for him to stay nearby. I don't think the "pressure" of hearing from JW or PM means anything to him - he's certainly got buddies at Michigan that will be pressuring him as well.

Michigan, Fran never closes the deal on these players. He will finish second again.

When is the last time Fran didn't get an in-state kid he really wanted? I'm asking because I don't recall.

The bogeyman for Iowa fans with Fran is undoubtedly point guard. He's never landed any big-time PGs he's pursued, so there's this pervasive feeling of "here we go again." With that said, this is the first time a kid this highly ranked has been in our backyard since Marcus Paige (which I don't think you can really fault Fran for not getting).

The point is I think this kid is Fran's to lose. This just has a different feel to it than years past. Unless DJ has his heart set on going out of state, which some kids just do for whatever reason (I don't believe that's the case here), then Fran should have a leg up on the competition given what he has to sell.

If DJ does go elsewhere, then it ultimately validates everything you are saying.

This might be the most important recruit Fran has ever gone after at Iowa. And I think Fran knows it.

This is exactly how I see it going as well. We're constantly coming in 2nd with these kids. The only thing that could possibly change it this time is if his family feels it is important for him to stay nearby. I don't think the "pressure" of hearing from JW or PM means anything to him - he's certainly got buddies at Michigan that will be pressuring him as well.

I hope we are wrong. Iowa needs him or at least this doesn't cause Iowa to also lose out on some of the PG recruits Iowa is is courting.

When is the last time Fran didn't get an in-state kid he really wanted? I'm asking because I don't recall.

The bogeyman for Iowa fans with Fran is undoubtedly point guard. He's never landed any big-time PGs he's pursued, so there's this pervasive feeling of "here we go again." With that said, this is the first time a kid this highly ranked has been in our backyard since Marcus Paige (which I don't think you can really fault Fran for not getting).

The point is I think this kid is Fran's to lose. This just has a different feel to it than years past. Unless DJ has his heart set on going out of state, which some kids just do for whatever reason (I don't believe that's the case here), then Fran should have a leg up on the competition given what he has to sell.

If DJ does go elsewhere, then it ultimately validates everything you are saying.

This might be the most important recruit Fran has ever gone after at Iowa. And I think Fran knows it.

Could you count Wes Washpun?

I personally think the fifth star means he is gone. I also think there will be a lot more than these six soon.

I doubt there will be new players now.

The only reason to whittle it down to 6 was because thats what hes ready for.

Theres just no reason to do that if youre still interested in more potential schools.

I doubt there will be new players now.

The only reason to whittle it down to 6 was because thats what hes ready for.

Theres just no reason to do that if youre still interested in more potential schools.

I see your point... and I don't have a clue what these schools have for PGs already, or if they showed any interest already or not... but I can just imagine if North Carolina, Duke, Villanova, Kentucky, Michigan State, or some other traditional power started to show interest, he might start to view them more favorably too.

I don't know if this will come across the right way to many people here, but I'll give it a try... certain people will try to influence him by saying "You're a 5-star, and Iowa's not the place that 5-star talent chooses"

I'll throw my speculative hat in the ring with absolutely no inside info.

I'm cautiously very, very optimistic that DJ will be an Iowa Hawk. I like the way things are lining up for Iowa, all of which have been mentioned on public forums...

1. He's very family oriented including his grandfather who played at IA
2. Iowa is only 45 minutes away and no other of his top 6 are even close
3. Has a very tight relationship with Joe W and Patrick M
4. Is very eager to play with Joe W, Patrick M, Xavier F, Conner M, Luka G, Jack N, etc. - that's some serious talent
5. Reportedly has a good relationship with Fran, the coaching staff, and the other players
6. He's loyal (stuck with HS and AAU club when I'm sure he could have went elsewhere)
7. His girlfriend is enrolled at Iowa and is smoking hot (okay, I made that up, no idea who she is & what she looks like)
8. Rumor in the Eastern Iowa corridor that some big time Hawkeye donors are reportedly indicating that they've been led to believe that Carton will become a Hawk!

I'm calling it right now, Carton to Iowa!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT