ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: How many REG SEASON wins for Iowa? Rank the Sched Starting w/ Most Likely Loss to Least Likely

Right now, how many Reg Season wins do you see for Iowa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went with 9.

@ Penn State
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa State
@ Purdue
@ indiana
@ Minnesota
Nebraska
Maryland
Northern Illinois
Illinois
UNI

Iowa fan spectrum-

Optimists:

Im'ma say 10-2 with losses to Penn State and Wisconsin, but I think we can play with and beat both.

Pessimists:

Most likely loss-
Northern Illinois, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Penn State, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Nebraska

Least likely loss- Bye week

Reactions: HawkweyeinSATX
UNI
AT Illinois
N Illinois
AT Minnesota
AT Indiana
Nebraska
Iowa State
Maryland
AT Purdue ---road game, plus sandwiched between 2 rough road games give them edge over MD
Northwestern---ASSUMING thorson will be ready to go
Wisconsin
AT Penn State

I think a lot of folks are sleeping on MD. With 20 some 4* guys, they need to fire their coach if they don't field a good team.

Will our defense be better? Same
I dont know.
We've lost half the starting D and have a few tough early matchups.
I hope you're right though.

Reactions: Franisdaman
When I read your list, it makes me realize how far your IQ has fallen. Iowa State, Purdue, Northwestern, and Indiana ahead of Nebraska? LOL! Maybe you haven't heard, Mike Riley is no longer the coach. You poor silly sap.

Experts pick you at 5 wins this year. ISU, Purdue and NW are just better teams than you.

Where do you get wins this season?

Maybe next year lil bro.

I voted for 8 wins.

7 wins = meh year

UNI
Northern Illinois
at Illinois
Maryland
at Indiana
at Purdue
at Minnesota

8 = Solid year

Iowa State

9 wins = Good year

Nebraska

10 = Great year

Northwestern

11 = Amazing year

at Penn State

12 = Going blind from rubbing one out while re-watching the games on DVR from the end of the bowl game until September 2019 year

Wisconsin
I like how you broke the games out like that. I'm starting to think that 10 wins is a real possibility.

Reactions: dbrocket
UNI
AT Illinois
N Illinois
AT Minnesota
AT Indiana
Nebraska
Iowa State
Maryland
AT Purdue ---road game, plus sandwiched between 2 rough road games give them edge over MD
Northwestern---ASSUMING thorson will be ready to go
Wisconsin
AT Penn State

I think a lot of folks are sleeping on MD. With 20 some 4* guys, they need to fire their coach if they don't field a good team.

I dont know.
We've lost half the starting D and have a few tough early matchups.
I hope you're right though.

I honestly had no idea that they were recruiting that well. They must be getting a lot of East Coast kids?

Responses to various comments:
  • We are replacing half the defense so we won't be great: We have to replace starters every year. Our development of players has always been our strength.
  • Our LB's are major concern: We are replacing our LB's with upperclassmen, not freshmen like we had to do the last two major reload of linebackers.
  • DB's are thin: Our defensive backfield will reload, so no concerns at this time. "In Parker we Trust"
  • Our defensive line returns 7 of 8 rotation players. Should be stronger.
  • Jeff Brohm is a great coach: Jeff Brohm may be a good coach, but I am not going to anoint him the second coming of "Scott Frost":rolleyes: yet. He had a senior loaded defense that carried the team last year...same recipe as Iowa plays. 2nd, coaches will have a full year of tape to analyze how to counter Purdue's offense. So I will reserve my thoughts on Jeff Brohm for a couple more years...
  • Nebraska's Scott Frost: See comments on Jeff Brohm from above.
  • Our receiving core should be better than last year significantly.
  • Our QB should be a strength for our team's offense.
  • RB's and OL should be similar in strength to last year.. so overall, our offense should be more balanced and a strength.
  • A stronger offense gives our defense more rest and the opportunity to take more risks knowing that our offense can compensate for a mistake.
  • Our punting game "should" be stronger this year.
  • Brian Ferentz, being in his 2nd year, will be ready to open up the offense more with a veteran QB. His going to New England Patriots tells me he is looking to expand his play calling.
I believe a 9-12 win season is possible. Calling out for 10-11 wins.

Reactions: nu2u
July 8 Edit: Just to spice it up a bit, rank all 12 games, from most likely a loss to least likely a loss.

The schedule is at the end of the post.

Iowa State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Nebraska are all at home. Something tells me we break through, finally, against Wisconsin.

But will we lay a turd on the road against a team like Minny, IU or Purdue?

I think this team has the potential for 10 wins.

What do you think, right now?

Time
Sep 1 vs
nns.png
Northern Illinois 2:30 PM CDT
BTN, BTN+

Sep 8 vs
IowaState_70x70.png
Iowa St. 4:00 PM CDT
FOX

Sep 15 vs
NorthernIowa+%281%29.png
Northern Iowa 6:30 PM CDT
BTN, BTN+

Sep 22 vs
wwo.png
Wisconsin Time: TBD

Bye Week

Oct 6 @
mmn.png
Minnesota Time: TBD

Oct 13 @
iie.png
Indiana 11:00 AM CDT

Oct 20 vs
Maryland-70.png
Maryland 11:00 AM CDT

Oct 27 @
ppb.png
Penn St. Time: TBD

Nov 3 @
Purdue-Boilermakers_70.png
Purdue Time: TBD

Nov 10 vs
Northwestern_70_copy.png
Northwestern Time: TBD

Nov 17 @
illinois_fighting_illini-2014.png
Illinois Time: TBD

Nov 23 vs
nnd.png
Nebraska 11:00 AM CST
FOX

@ Penn State-Most likely loss AINEC
Wisconsin
Iowa State
@ Purdue
Northwestern
@ Indiana
Northern Illinois
Nebraska
@ Minnesota
Maryland
Northern Iowa
@ Illinois

9-3 overall if we play to our expectations, I'd rather we not lose to Iowa State, so I'll take a toe stubber lower on the list with a win over Iowa State, but the rivalry game with little brother is always a concern. I don't know if Purdue and Indiana should be as high as they are, but B10 road games are sometimes very frustrating. Maryland should perhaps be higher, I just don't know what they have coming back this year. I'll be very disappointed if we end up 7-5 or worse overall.

I got 9-3 this year. I think the hawks drop games to @PSU, @ Purdue, and either Wisky at home or Minny on the road.

I think they win the rest and will be a New Years day bowl.

This team will have to grow up quick and the the Lines will need to be the anchors. Both sides will have to control the LOS in order for us to have a chance. I think we will be decent in the back 7 on defense and the offensive side of the ball I think we have a good QB and servicable WR's.

@ Penn State-Most likely loss AINEC
Wisconsin
Iowa State
@ Purdue
Northwestern
@ Indiana
Northern Illinois
Nebraska
@ Minnesota
Maryland
Northern Iowa
@ Illinois

9-3 overall if we play to our expectations, I'd rather we not lose to Iowa State, so I'll take a toe stubber lower on the list with a win over Iowa State, but the rivalry game with little brother is always a concern. I don't know if Purdue and Indiana should be as high as they are, but B10 road games are sometimes very frustrating. Maryland should perhaps be higher, I just don't know what they have coming back this year. I'll be very disappointed if we end up 7-5 or worse overall.
We all seem to have Nebraska fifth from the bottom. Interesting. And i agree with you. I dont know much about Maryland. They could have another Stephon Diggs for all I know. Hope not! Lol

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Is our schedule easier this year? Yes
Will our offense be better? Yes
Will special teams be better? Yes

I'll agree with the schedule. I'll agree with the special teams.

I think the offense will be about the same - replacing interior OL won't be a simple task in my opinion. I like the other RBs, but we are talking about Wadley too. Over a full season, I think the offense will be about the same. By the end of the year, it very well could be better.

As for the defense, I am simply not seeing it. It won't be a weakness - most Hawkeye teams have a solid D after all, but replacing Josh and Josie isn't easy.

I hope you're right. If so, then 9 wins minimum.

I really think the Iowa/Wisconsin winner wins the West. If Iowa loses, that means Wisconsin has to lose at least 2 B1G games in their next 8 (and Iowa would have to go 8-0) for Iowa to win the West at 8-1 and Wisconsin at 7-2.

Iowa might be able to make up a game in the cross over games, where Wisconsin might lose 2 of 3 with Iowa losing just 1 of the 3 (at most, hopefully).

Iowa's Cross over games:

AT Penn State
AT Indiana
Maryland

Wisky's Cross over games:
At Michigan
vs Rutgers
At Penn State

Wisconsin's Full Schedule:

Sat, Sep. 22, 2018 TBD at Iowa Big Ten
Iowa City, IA
TBD

blank.gif

Sat, Oct. 6, 2018 TBD vs Nebraska Big Ten
Madison, WICamp Randall Stadium
TBD Tickets

blank.gif

Sat, Oct. 13, 2018 TBD at Michigan Big Ten
Ann Arbor, MI
TBD Tickets

blank.gif

Sat, Oct. 20, 2018 11 AM vs Illinois Homecoming Big Ten
11 AM Tickets

blank.gif

Sat, Oct. 27, 2018 TBD at Northwestern Big Ten
Evanston, IL
TBD Tickets

blank.gif

Sat, Nov. 3, 2018 TBD vs Rutgers Big Ten
TBD Tickets

blank.gif

Sat, Nov. 10, 2018 TBD at Penn State Big Ten
University Park, PA
TBD Tickets

blank.gif

Sat, Nov. 17, 2018 TBD at Purdue Big Ten
West Lafayette, IN
TBD Tickets

blank.gif

Sat, Nov. 24, 2018 TBD vs Minnesota Big Ten
TBD Tickets

All these Nebraska fans. Remarkable at how clueless they are to the lack of talent and depth on both their OLine and DLine. Will Frost get that turned around? Possibly. Maybe even likely, but Not.This.Year.

The spread offense can disguise the OLine weaknesses if They get rid of the ball quickly, but how are you going to hide the DLine?

I voted 8 but could easily see 10 if they win all the games they should like Illinois, Minnesota, UNI, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Northern Illinois. I would consider them favorites over Iowa State and Nebraska, but could easily see them lose to either. Northwestern is a push for me, Fitzgerald always has them playing above their talent.

Wisconsin and Penn State are going to be tough draws. I think Ferentz will have them better prepped against Wisconsin and they usually play well at Happy Valley so there is a chance for 12-0 if everything falls right.

I voted 8 but could easily see 10 if they win all the games they should like Illinois, Minnesota, UNI, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Northern Illinois. I would consider them favorites over Iowa State and Nebraska, but could easily see them lose to either. Northwestern is a push for me, Fitzgerald always has them playing above their talent.

Wisconsin and Penn State are going to be tough draws. I think Ferentz will have them better prepped against Wisconsin and they usually play well at Happy Valley so there is a chance for 12-0 if everything falls right.
8 wins probably means we go 5-4 in the B1G, which won't make many people happy, especially since our tougher games are at home and our only tough cross over game (of the 3) is at Penn State

Iowa fan spectrum-

Optimists:

Im'ma say 10-2 with losses to Penn State and Wisconsin, but I think we can play with and beat both.

Pessimists:

Most likely loss-
Northern Illinois, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Penn State, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Nebraska

Least likely loss- Bye week
I’d flip Neb with bye week in the least likely loss category.

Reactions: Blackleaf40
Will our offense be better? Yes
Will special teams be better? Yes

I see 9 wins this year with a bowl win but who knows.
Will our offense be better? Only one way to go. Maybe worse with absence of Wadley
Will our defense be better? Worse
Will special teams be better? Same unless found a punter

7 - 5

Experts pick you at 5 wins this year. ISU, Purdue and NW are just better teams than you.

Where do you get wins this season?

Maybe next year lil bro.

We beat Purdue last year, dunce, and lost to Northwestern in OT...with Mike Riley as coach. You have no idea what you are doing, do you? Just completely oblivious.

On Wed's HawkCentral radio show, both Chad Leistikow and Mark Emmert had Iowa losing to Iowa State.

Chad had Iowa going 8-4, where they start the season with a 2-2 record (losses to ISU and Wisky).

Ugh.

This. I think this is the year we pick off Wiscy at home.

I definitely think Iowa beats Wisconsin. I don't think Wisconsin is as good as people think as their D will regress, and Hornibrook is still their QB. Plus this game is at home for Iowa. I think if Iowa is hot early they could keep it rolling. NIU and ISU aren't ones to look ahead of, but if they win those early, Iowa will definitely have a shot to have a big season.

I definitely think Iowa beats Wisconsin. I don't think Wisconsin is as good as people think as their D will regress, and Hornibrook is still their QB. Plus this game is at home for Iowa. I think if Iowa is hot early they could keep it rolling. NIU and ISU aren't ones to look ahead of, but if they win those early, Iowa will definitely have a shot to have a big season.
I thought Iowa would beat ISU and Wisky, with their 1st loss at PSU.

But if we start 2-2 (like many are predicting), that's going to make for a long season.

These suspensions have me worried. I have a feeling our OL will struggle in the opener since we will be playing with a brand new center and backups at both tackle positions.

I thought Iowa would beat ISU and Wisky, with their 1st loss at PSU.

But if we start 2-2 (like many are predicting), that's going to make for a long season.

These suspensions have me worried. I have a feeling our OL will struggle in the opener since we will be playing with a brand new center and backups at both tackle positions.

There is some concern, but Iowa always seems to have lineman and I would guess they will be able to plug and play to get through them. At least they are early games and not midway through the conference season.

ADVERTISEMENT