ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: How many REG SEASON wins for Iowa? Rank the Sched Starting w/ Most Likely Loss to Least Likely

Right now, how many Reg Season wins do you see for Iowa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All these Nebraska fans. Remarkable at how clueless they are to the lack of talent and depth on both their OLine and DLine. Will Frost get that turned around? Possibly. Maybe even likely, but Not.This.Year.

The spread offense can disguise the OLine weaknesses if They get rid of the ball quickly, but how are you going to hide the DLine?
I had Iowa at eight wins with losses to PSU, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and either Iowa State or Nebraska. I could see Nebraska losing by two TDs, but if Frost has the team playing well and believing, I see Nebraska winning.

I think most Nebraska fans understand the talent is there. Lack of talent isn't the reason the team quit last year. Riley was a dead man walking since the NIU game, and everyone knew it. There is plenty of talent on the roster.

The reasons for optimism are because:
1) Nebraska turned its S&C program and nutrition program around, and there has been a pretty noticeable impact on strength, size, etc on both lines;
2) Frost has emphasized mental and physical toughness - he mentioned this morning how the team had zero mental toughness last year when he watched games on tape, and after having discussions with players, they too admitted they lacked mental toughness last year. His words, not mine.
3) Nebraska hasn't ever recruited poorly, relative to the B1G West. Coaching staff appears to be getting players to buy into the new culture. Talent won't stay dormant.

I'm not saying Nebraska wins X # of games this year. None of us know what that number will be or exactly how good the team will be with a freshman starting at QB. But to think Husker fans are clueless because their optimistic given the things I mentioned is silly. Nebraska will compete and not quit this year, and when they have talent that is better coached and plays hard for 4 quarters, I don't think it's unreasonable to see a turnaround.

I think we are going to have a special year but will lose to someone unexpected (I'm guessing Northwestern or Indiana).
11-1 West Champs, but lose in the B10 Championship game to Michigan.
I would take that.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I definitely think Iowa beats Wisconsin. I don't think Wisconsin is as good as people think as their D will regress, and Hornibrook is still their QB. Plus this game is at home for Iowa. I think if Iowa is hot early they could keep it rolling. NIU and ISU aren't ones to look ahead of, but if they win those early, Iowa will definitely have a shot to have a big season.
Every year Hawk fans underestimate Wisconsin. And almost every year they are wrong. All Wisconsin does is win.

I think the Hawks go 6-6 or 7-5.

Every year Hawk fans underestimate Wisconsin. And almost every year they are wrong. All Wisconsin does is win.

I think the Hawks go 6-6 or 7-5.
I think we finally beat a top 5 ranked Wisky at home, under the lights, on ABC/ESPN (maybe alternative uniforms? THE SAME ONES WE WORE VS OHIO STATE?); that is normally a winning recipe for Iowa. That would put iOWA at, hopefully, 4-0, and a top 20 team.

GO HAWKS!!!

At this time I would like to recognize the following posters (16 of them!) who predict Iowa winning 3 OR FEWER games!

3-9, 2-10, 1-11, or 0-12, baby!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: WildTurk
#8 @Penn State--MOST LIKELY LOSS
#5 Wisconsin
#37 Iowa State
#42 Northwestern
#43 Nebraska
#45 @Purdue
#59 Maryland
#70 @Indiana
#67 Northern Illinois
#78 @Minnesota
#93 @Illinois
UNI-- LEAST LIKELY LOSS

UCF had 20 wins the 2 years prior to the (0-12) 2015 season
UCF had 19 wins the 2 years after the 2015 season

one could argue O'Leary was a better coach than Frost.
And O'Leary also had a season with zero wins during that time, so one could argue he isn't a better coach than Frost.
I would agree, Nebraska deserves everything Hawk fans have been dishing out the last few years. We have been pathetic. I believe those days are over. I've been attending NU games since the mid-sixties. And I have seen the highs & the lows but this is the first time in 20 years that I am positive about the future.

Reactions: mrF6n6
And O'Leary also had a season with zero wins during that time, so one could argue he isn't a better coach than Frost.
I would agree, Nebraska deserves everything Hawk fans have been dishing out the last few years. We have been pathetic. I believe those days are over. I've been attending NU games since the mid-sixties. And I have seen the highs & the lows but this is the first time in 20 years that I am positive about the future.

Who cares? Go have a circle jerk with your butt fusker buddies.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
thank you for the response... I'm hoping Nebraska beats Wisconsin this year.

Kirk teams have a history of dissapointing when there's hype surrounding the team

This. Iowa will struggle mightily in the season opener and barely squeak out a win due to the suspensions. This will then throw off the chemistry for the isu game and we lose that one. Agree that man here are underestimating isu. We lose to Wisconsin, psu and one other. Either Maryland or Nebraska. Maybe Purdue. I am hoping for 8-4, but fully expecting 7-5. You guys are way too optimistic about our o-line, IMO. Replacing Josey and josh, no small task.

I also think this schedule is much tougher than people are giving it credit for. Wisconsin, psu, isu, Purdue, Nebraska and northwestern COULD all potentially be top 25 teams by the end of the season. Guess that is why they play the games. Should be fun.

Perusing other boards. I have come to the conclusion based on their fans predictions that Wisconsin will end up around .500 in league play. The general consensus is that the Badgers are just not that good, combined with a really tough road schedule. @Iowa,@Northwestern,@Michigan,@Purdue,@Penn St. All really good teams, and all of their fans are predicting a win over the Badgers. We'll see! I picked Iowa to win 9-10 games. Same for Northwestern.

4 of Iowa's 5 losses in 2017, were against teams that are on this year's schedule.
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Purdue
Penn State

that Wisconsin game will be like 2 games in one.
that game is where the West is won.
I just have a feeling this is the year we knock off wiscy. Will be close. Might be a FG at the end of the game is the winning margin. PSU will likely be a road loss. The other two will be tough but winnable.

I am predicting 7 wins but I think the season will be dictated in the first 4. Come out 3-1 or 4-0 then those who are predicting the 9+ should be correct. I see us 2-2 after the first four but no clue how we get there as it’s Iowa football. Anything can and does happen.

UCF had 20 wins the 2 years prior to the (0-12) 2015 season
UCF had 19 wins the 2 years after the 2015 season

one could argue O'Leary was a better coach than Frost.

You managed to not give O'Leary credit for the 0-12 season. Idiot..

This. Iowa will struggle mightily in the season opener and barely squeak out a win due to the suspensions. This will then throw off the chemistry for the isu game and we lose that one. .
Eh, one could also argue a close win in the opener could just as easily result in better focus for the next game.

Perusing other boards. I have come to the conclusion based on their fans predictions that Wisconsin will end up around .500 in league play. The general consensus is that the Badgers are just not that good, combined with a really tough road schedule. @Iowa,@Northwestern,@Michigan,@Purdue,@Penn St. All really good teams, and all of their fans are predicting a win over the Badgers. We'll see! I picked Iowa to win 9-10 games. Same for Northwestern.
Are you a comedy writer cause that's some funny sh.. having Wisky 500 in league play.

I am going with 9, which assumes Stanley is healthy and the LBs come along. We are short on Seniors. Hopefully, we will not lack the sense of urgency which comes with a greater number of contributors going thru the schedule for the last time. That worries me as well. In Iowa's undefeated regular season of 2015, the offense played with a little "gun-slinger" mentality ( thank you, Mr Beathard), lets hope that developes this season... as Hayden once said, " We are going to have to outscore some teams to win this year!" (Seriously, he said that, and took some crap for it, too. )

I agree; Penn State is probably a loss;we will be a dog to Wisky; but who else is a "likely" loss?

i think we should expect a 9 or 10 win regular season, and that just might win the West

Everyone is so high on PSU; Everyone thinks Trace McTurd is a top 3 QB in the country.....what a joke. I'm not saying PSU is going to be terrible this year, by a long shot, but, they were REALLY good because of one guy, and he's taking handoffs from Eli this year. Barkley was a security blanket and was a HUGE part of their production last year. I think PSU would be favored because its in Happy Valley, but I doubt they're anywhere close to what they were with Barkley. He had like 300 some odd all purpose yards against us in IC last year season and it took a final play with no time left on the clock to win.

Reactions: LeonRussell
Everyone is so high on PSU; Everyone thinks Trace McTurd is a top 3 QB in the country.....what a joke. I'm not saying PSU is going to be terrible this year, by a long shot, but, they were REALLY good because of one guy, and he's taking handoffs from Eli this year. Barkley was a security blanket and was a HUGE part of their production last year. I think PSU would be favored because its in Happy Valley, but I doubt they're anywhere close to what they were with Barkley. He had like 300 some odd all purpose yards against us in IC last year season and it took a final play with no time left on the clock to win.

I couldn't agree more, I think PSU is overvalued this season. McSorley definitely benefited from Saquon's monster season. Michigan has a big question mark at QB but if that gets sorted out I think they have a more than even chance at winning the East division with all of their returning talent. Wisconsin with their dominating O-line play and a fantastic sophomore RB, their running game will take a lot of pressure of their average QB Hornibrook and I suspect that will make him look (unrealistically) like a Heisman candidate as a result. I hope I'm wrong at least when the Hawks line up against them.

Reactions: LeonRussell
I predict we meet Michigan in Indy and beat Harbaugh again, for the 3rd time, on a last second field goal.

I voted for 8 wins.

7 wins = meh year

UNI
Northern Illinois
at Illinois
Maryland
at Indiana
at Purdue
at Minnesota

8 = Solid year

Iowa State

9 wins = Good year

Nebraska

10 = Great year

Northwestern

11 = Amazing year

at Penn State

12 = Going blind from rubbing one out while re-watching the games on DVR from the end of the bowl game until September 2019 year

Wisconsin
ISU probably better than nebs this year

Reactions: Blackleaf40
I voted for 8 wins.

7 wins = meh year

UNI
Northern Illinois
at Illinois
Maryland
at Indiana
at Purdue
at Minnesota

8 = Solid year

Iowa State

9 wins = Good year

Nebraska

10 = Great year

Northwestern

11 = Amazing year

at Penn State

12 = Going blind from rubbing one out while re-watching the games on DVR from the end of the bowl game until September 2019 year

Wisconsin
Agree with this: 8 is just ok but leaves me wanting more, 9 is solid, 10 good, 11 great, 12= erection, 13 blow load in pants, 14 blow load everywhere, 15 too inappropriate to say

I went with 9.

@ Penn State
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa State
@ Purdue
@ indiana
@ Minnesota
Nebraska
Maryland
Northern Illinois
Illinois
UNI
Is playing Iowa State at home in Kinnick really going to be more difficult than playing games on the road vs, Minny & Purdue? I don't think so.

This. Iowa will struggle mightily in the season opener and barely squeak out a win due to the suspensions. This will then throw off the chemistry for the isu game and we lose that one. Agree that man here are underestimating isu. We lose to Wisconsin, psu and one other. Either Maryland or Nebraska. Maybe Purdue. I am hoping for 8-4, but fully expecting 7-5. You guys are way too optimistic about our o-line, IMO. Replacing Josey and josh, no small task.

I also think this schedule is much tougher than people are giving it credit for. Wisconsin, psu, isu, Purdue, Nebraska and northwestern COULD all potentially be top 25 teams by the end of the season. Guess that is why they play the games. Should be fun.
Wow, what pessimism. I see Iowa AT LEAST 9-3 this year...should be a fun season.

Is playing Iowa State at home in Kinnick really going to be more difficult than playing games on the road vs, Minny & Purdue? I don't think so.
Yes...Purdue will take a step back and minny is horrible

Here is how Chad Leistikow comes up with his 8 win prediction:

8 Wins
Iowa 27, Northern Illinois 17
Iowa 45, Northern Iowa 10
Iowa 42, Minnesota 13
Iowa 45, Maryland 21
Iowa 38, Purdue 24
Iowa 35, Northwestern 21
Iowa 30, Illinois 13
Iowa 29, Nebraska 28

4 Losses
Iowa State 28, Iowa 24
Wisconsin 24, Iowa 19
Indiana 22, Iowa 20
Penn State 31, Iowa 24

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...eyes-kirk-ferentz-kinnick-stadium/1041498002/

You managed to not give O'Leary credit for the 0-12 season. Idiot..

I like your sparkling personality.

You, in no way, represent the bitter, butthurt legion of online Nebby fans that troll opposing team forums - hopelessly angry that nobody gives a fvck about your newest beauty contestant.

Does Nebby beat Iowa this year?

Reactions: sltldowney
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT