ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: How will Tom Izzo be punished for the Travis Walton Rape Cover Up?

How will Tom Izzo be punished for the Travis Walton cover up?

• He will be fired.

• He will be suspended

• He will be reprimanded (written warning) but no suspensions or fines

• Nothing will happen. Izzo wins a lot of games and that's all that matters at Michigan State

• He will get a raise/new contract.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Tom Izzo is exactly like Urban Meyer. Both protected an assistant coach who was accused of abusing a woman.

Izzon protected Travis Walton (then a student assistant coach): (1) Walton, along with two players, was accused of raping a female student in April 2010; (2) A few months earlier it was reported that Walton had punched another woman in a bar.

Urban Meyer protected Zach Smith, who was accused of domestic violence against his ex-wife.

As the story states below, no NCAA violations may have occurred at Michigan State BUT certainly there were ethical and Title IX violations.

Urban Meyer got suspended 3 games for his inaction and cover up; how many games will Izzo get suspended?

From ESPN.com

The NCAA does not see a need for further inquiry into any potential violations of the organization's rules regarding sexual assault cases at Michigan State, the university announced Thursday.

Michigan State said it received a letter from Jonathan Duncan, the NCAA's vice president of enforcement, on Wednesday, saying that no NCAA violations were found in a review of how the school responded to sexual assaults committed by former university doctor Larry Nassar or how the school handled separate sexual assault allegations made against members of the football and men's basketball programs.

Athletic Director Beekman said the letter from the NCAA provides external validation of how football coach Mark Dantonio and basketball coach Tom Izzo administer their programs.

"Mark and Tom represent the athletic department and Michigan State University with integrity," Beekman said.

Both coaches issued statements Thursday, emphasizing they've tried to do things "the right way" at Michigan State.

"I have never wavered in my belief that we have done things the right way here at Michigan State," Dantonio said. "As I have stated earlier, we've always tackled our problems head on and have dealt with issues. We welcome the findings by the thorough NCAA investigation that our program has acted properly with all policies and procedures."

Said Izzo: "Throughout my career, I've always placed the utmost priority on winning the right way. As I said in February, when faced with disciplinary issues, I've handled those in accordance with all appropriate policies and procedures. After a very thorough review, the NCAA provides confirmation that our program has done that."

Michigan State officials said this spring they would handle an accusation made against former player and assistant coach Travis Walton differently if it were made today.

The April 2010 sexual assault allegation involving Walton became public in January after Outside the Lines obtained a letter written by former Michigan State sexual assault counselor Lauren Allswede. The woman did not report the incident to police, but according to Allswede's letter, the woman's parents did report the incident to representatives of the athletic department, including then-athletic director Mark Hollis. The letter states that Hollis said he would "conduct his own investigation."

Hollis retired hours before the report was made public.

Izzo has declined multiple interview requests and has declined to answer questions on the subject during several public news conferences in the months following the Outside The Lines report.

Carolyn Schaner, who alleged in the Outside The Lines report that Michigan State mishandled sexual assault allegations she made in 2010, said she was not contacted by the NCAA as part of its inquiry. Karen Truszkowski, an attorney who represents multiple clients currently suing the university for sexual assault issues involving student-athletes, said she also was not contacted by the NCAA for its inquiry.

Allswede said she was interviewed by the NCAA's investigators but does not feel the issue has been fully resolved at this point.

"I told the investigator my experiences while at MSU, and how my experiences working with allegations involving athletes were handled differently than allegations against non-athletes," Allswede said. "I have asked different administrators within the university and through several federal investigations about my experiences, with the hope each time that there was an explanation or answer that would justify actions taken and decisions made.

"To this date, nobody has been able to answer my questions or explain why certain cases involving athletes were handled differently. The NCAA concluded their investigation, but I don't have any clarity or assurance, and I don't believe there's been a resolution."

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...-cleared-violations-larry-nassar-scandal-ncaa

Last edited:
Reactions: BronxHawkeye
What rape cover up?,... life goes on for Izzo.....

Tom Izzo allowed Travis Walton, an undergraduate student-assistant coach, to continue working with the team after he was said to have punched a woman at a bar. A different student said that Walton (and 2 MSU players) sexually assaulted her a few months later. The police were not called; the Title IX office was not notified in either case.

This is as bad as Urban Meyer....no?

Last edited:
Tom Izzo allowed Travis Walton, an undergraduate student-assistant coach, to continue working with the team after he was said to have punched a woman at a bar. A different student said that Walton sexually assaulted her a few months later. The police were not called; the Title IX office was not notified in either case.

Sure, it's just as bad,.... Sorry I was being facetious. I'm familiar with the story, but I just don't think this goes anywhere for Izzo. It's going to take more than this....

Tom Izzo allowed Travis Walton, an undergraduate student-assistant coach, to continue working with the team after he was said to have punched a woman at a bar. A different student said that Walton sexually assaulted her a few months later. The police were not called; the Title IX office was not notified in either case.

So he was never charged with sexual assault then? I'm not familiar with this case. Were there charges for the incident at the bar?

We already know Michigan State has a permissive culture of allowing sexual assault to be perpetrated by their "student athletes" so what you're describing sounds like a piss in the ocean.

Reactions: perryhawk

Disagree, at least based on what's been published so far. I could be wrong, but nothing in the story even indicates Izzo knew about the allegations against Walton. The woman didn't press charges and the parents ended up going to the AD who said he would conduct his own investigation. The AD then resigned. It's possible Izzo could have known all along and was part of covering it all up, but nothing to date has come close to proving that.

In the case of Z. Smith and Urban Meyer, Meyer knew for many years about the issues of alleged abuse between Z. Smith and his wife. Gene Smith, the AD, even recommended to Urban that he fire Z. Smith, but was ignored.

So he was never charged with sexual assault then? I'm not familiar with this case. Were there charges for the incident at the bar?

We already know Michigan State has a permissive culture of allowing sexual assault to be perpetrated by their "student athletes" so what you're describing sounds like a piss in the ocean.
Disagree, at least based on what's been published so far. I could be wrong, but nothing in the story even indicates Izzo knew about the allegations against Walton. The woman didn't press charges and the parents ended up going to the AD who said he would conduct his own investigation. The AD then resigned. It's possible Izzo could have known all along and was part of covering it all up, but nothing to date has come close to proving that.

In the case of Z. Smith and Urban Meyer, Meyer knew for many years about the issues of alleged abuse between Z. Smith and his wife. Gene Smith, the AD, even recommended to Urban that he fire Z. Smith, but was ignored.

@DodgerHawki , @BlackNGoldBleeder , I just edited this post.

Everything I have read makes Izzo look really bad. FOUR players and ONE former assistant are all accused of rape.

The Title IX office should have been notified regarding:

* The Walton assault of one woman (punching her in the face) and

* The Walton sexual assault of another woman. NOTE: 2 other players joined in.

* There is also a separate alleged sexual assault by two other former players (Adreian Payne and Keith Appling) that Izzo will have to address— what details he knew, why they weren’t suspended at all, even if they weren’t charged.

The 2 Walton incidents (and maybe all 3 incidents listed above) all appear to have been swept under the rug and handled internally by the MSU Athletic Dept.

What follows comes from the Lansing State Journal:

Walton hitting one woman and raping another was handled internally, according to ESPN. Walton lived in Izzo's basement during that time.

After a game in late January, ESPN investigative reporter Tisha Thompson asked Izzo this:

In 2010, Travis Walton was charged with assault and battery for punching a female student in the face,” Thompson began. “There were witnesses, she was injured. Why was he allowed to continue with the coaching staff and be with the team while charges were pending?”

She continued with three more questions — including a gang rape allegation against Walton and two other players — and then, after the press conference, followed Izzo to the locker room, asking, “With Travis Walton, did the athletic department forward the allegations to the Title IX office?”

Izzo never answered her questions.

But he’s going to have to answer the questions they’ve raised — especially on Walton, a situation that ESPN alleges was handled internally.

There is also a separate alleged sexual assault by two other former players that Izzo will have to address— what details he knew, why they weren’t suspended at all, even if they weren’t charged.

Link: https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...etball-izzo-maryland-couch-column/1073408001/

Last edited:
Reactions: BronxHawkeye
@DodgerHawki , @BlackNGoldBleeder , I just edited this post.

Everything I have read makes Izzo look really bad. FOUR players and ONE former assistant are all accused of rape.

* There is also a separate alleged sexual assault by two other former players that Izzo will have to address— what details he knew, why they weren’t suspended at all, even if they weren’t charged.

The 2 Walton incidents (and maybe all 3 incidents listed above) all appear to have been swept under the rug and handled internally by the MSU Athletic Dept.

What follows comes from the Lansing State Journal:

Walton hitting one woman and raping another was handled internally, according to ESPN. Walton lived in Izzo's basement during that time.

After a game in late January, ESPN investigative reporter Tisha Thompson asked Izzo this:

In 2010, Travis Walton was charged with assault and battery for punching a female student in the face,” Thompson began. “There were witnesses, she was injured. Why was he allowed to continue with the coaching staff and be with the team while charges were pending?”

She continued with three more questions — including a gang rape allegation against Walton and two other players — and then, after the press conference, followed Izzo to the locker room, asking, “With Travis Walton, did the athletic department forward the allegations to the Title IX office?”

Izzo never answered her questions.

But he’s going to have to answer the questions they’ve raised — especially on Walton, a situation that ESPN alleges was handled internally.

There is also a separate alleged sexual assault by two other former players that Izzo will have to address— what details he knew, why they weren’t suspended at all, even if they weren’t charged.

Link: https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...etball-izzo-maryland-couch-column/1073408001/

Disgusting.

Hopefully the Good Lord sees they all get what's coming to them some day.

Reactions: Basshawk
Disgusting.

Hopefully the Good Lord sees they all get what's coming to them some day.
i am glad there are lawyers involved; hopefully they sue MSU for all they are worth

Walton lived in Izzo's basement. How would Izzo not know about:

* Walton (when he was an assistant) punching a female student in the face, knocking her out, where she had to seek medical treatment

* Walton (when he was an assistant) and 2 other players raping a girl; this is the case where the AD said he would personally investigate it.

* 2 DIFFERENT players (Adreian Payne and Keith Appling) raping another girl.

There were no suspensions of ANY OF THESE 5 INDIVIDUALS.

There were no Title IX investigations, which are required by federal law.

And Izzo still has his job.

Why?

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
i am glad there are lawyers involved; hopefully they sue MSU for all they are worth

Walton lived in Izzo's basement. How would Izzo not know about:

* Walton punching a student in the face, where she had to seek medical treatment
* Walton and 2 other players raping a girl
* 2 DIFFERENT players raping another girl

There were no suspensions. There were no Title IX investigations, which are required by federal law.

And Izzo still has his job.

Why?

MSU culture.

Reactions: Franisdaman
MSU culture.
sickening and embarrassing for the B1G. How many sexual assault scandals have there been?

1) Minnesota--gang of 10 gang rape by football players
2) Penn State--Sandusky
3) Ohio State--wrestlers abused by doctor; Zach Smith
4) Michigan State--Nassar, football and basketball player rapes handled internally

i hope this all comes out and Izzo gets hammered just like Urban Meyer did.

With the passage of time, we have got to be past the Western Michigan getting clobbered to the point of placing Tarkio college and Parsons on double secret probation.

sickening and embarrassing for the B1G. How many sexual assault scandals have there been?

2) Penn State--Sandusky
4) Michigan State--Nassar, football and basketball player rapes handled internally

Don't forget to include Iowa and Steve Alford and Pierre Pierce on your list. Also, Rhabdo and Barta's inappropriate handling of female coaches and huge settlement should be on the list you are compiling.

I am a lifetime Hawkeye fan and contributor but can't stand people being so high and mighty that their team never has issues but point at other schools. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones (colleges & universities).

Let's not have convenient amnesia when discussing other schools.

Don't forget to include Iowa and Steve Alford and Pierre Pierce on your list. Also, Rhabdo and Barta's inappropriate handling of female coaches and huge settlement should be on the list you are compiling.

I am a lifetime Hawkeye fan and contributor but can't stand people being so high and mighty that their team never has issues but point at other schools. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones (colleges & universities).

Everything you listed above? Iowa never covered anything up.

The Michigan State AD, Izzo, and Dantonio? They all covered up their misdeeds and got caught. The Michigan State AD resigned as a result. Somehow Izzo and Dantonio still have jobs.

Big difference between Iowa and Michigan State, and thankfully so. Your comparison between the schools is extremely poor, to put it mildly.

Everything you listed above? Iowa never covered anything up.

The Michigan State AD, Izzo, and Dantonio? They all covered up their misdeeds and got caught. The Michigan State AD resigned as a result. Somehow Izzo and Dantonio still have jobs.

Big difference between Iowa and Michigan State, and thankfully so. Your comparison between the schools is extremely poor, to put it mildly.
My point is that we haven’t been squeaky clean and I wouldn’t say Alford and Barta were forthcoming . It took a trial for things to come out regarding Barta and the Board of Regents and UI President did nothing but pay the ex Asst. AD.

My point is that we haven’t been squeaky clean and I wouldn’t say Alford and Barta were forthcoming . It took a trial for things to come out regarding Barta and the Board of Regents and UI President did nothing but pay the ex Asst. AD.
But what has Iowa ever covered up like Michigan State did? Izzo, Dantonio, and the Michigan State AD were all part of an institution that did nothing when it came to sexual assaults committed by Nassar (a doctor), football players, basketball players and a basketball coach..

Barta should have been fired for how he handled Jane Meyer and Tracy G. If he had properly documented their poor performance Iowa would have won that lawsuit. Instead, it cost Iowa over $6M.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
The only way Izzo is leaving not by his own choice will be based on wins and losses. The rest of this makes no difference at all to MSU.

If Tom starts losing and not meeting expectations then he’ll be out the door ala Thad Matta.

My guess is the new AD takes Izzo out to a fine Italian restaurant and gives him a good talking to before finishing his dessert and picking up the check.

Punished?

He will make some donation the the library and be honored at a banquet.

2) Penn State--Sandusky

Add Iowa under Steve Alford to your list.

Lets face it; Izzo is untouchable because he wins.

He can cover up anything he wants with zero consequences.

There’s a simple equation..... when your problems exceed your value that’s when you are gone. He keeps winning and he’s there. Start going 17-15 he’s gone.

High and mighty? Alford never really recovered from the fan's disgust with him over the PP "incident". Everyone wants Barta fired. The rhabdo thing was probably a mistake in judgement by the coaches. No cover up, no intent.

Athletic departments make mistakes. Athletes from all schools do some pretty awful things. The problem lies in the "looking the other way" and the cover up.

Jim Tressel and Bruce Pearl were not fired for the initial offenses - they were fired for covering it up and lying about it. Coaches that man-up and admit they screwed up get points from me. Coaches like Rick Pitino that try the "What? Huh?" crap need to be sent packing.

Just like me, I bet Izzo and Dantonio don't even own a shovel.

Sincerely,
OJ
140228_2749580_O_J__Simpson_Press_Conference_Cold_Opening_anvver_2.jpg

Tom Izzo is exactly like Urban Meyer. Both protected an assistant coach who was accused of abusing a woman.

Izzon protected Travis Walton (then a student assistant coach): (1) Walton, along with two players, was accused of raping a female student in April 2010; (2) A few months earlier it was reported that Walton had punched another woman in a bar.

Urban Meyer protected Zach Smith, who was accused of domestic violence against his ex-wife.

As the story states below, no NCAA violations may have occurred at Michigan State BUT certainly there were ethical and Title IX violations.

Urban Meyer got suspended 3 games for his inaction and cover up; how many games will Izzo get suspended?

From ESPN.com

The NCAA does not see a need for further inquiry into any potential violations of the organization's rules regarding sexual assault cases at Michigan State, the university announced Thursday.

Michigan State said it received a letter from Jonathan Duncan, the NCAA's vice president of enforcement, on Wednesday, saying that no NCAA violations were found in a review of how the school responded to sexual assaults committed by former university doctor Larry Nassar or how the school handled separate sexual assault allegations made against members of the football and men's basketball programs.

Athletic Director Beekman said the letter from the NCAA provides external validation of how football coach Mark Dantonio and basketball coach Tom Izzo administer their programs.

"Mark and Tom represent the athletic department and Michigan State University with integrity," Beekman said.

Both coaches issued statements Thursday, emphasizing they've tried to do things "the right way" at Michigan State.

"I have never wavered in my belief that we have done things the right way here at Michigan State," Dantonio said. "As I have stated earlier, we've always tackled our problems head on and have dealt with issues. We welcome the findings by the thorough NCAA investigation that our program has acted properly with all policies and procedures."

Said Izzo: "Throughout my career, I've always placed the utmost priority on winning the right way. As I said in February, when faced with disciplinary issues, I've handled those in accordance with all appropriate policies and procedures. After a very thorough review, the NCAA provides confirmation that our program has done that."

Michigan State officials said this spring they would handle an accusation made against former player and assistant coach Travis Walton differently if it were made today.

The April 2010 sexual assault allegation involving Walton became public in January after Outside the Lines obtained a letter written by former Michigan State sexual assault counselor Lauren Allswede. The woman did not report the incident to police, but according to Allswede's letter, the woman's parents did report the incident to representatives of the athletic department, including then-athletic director Mark Hollis. The letter states that Hollis said he would "conduct his own investigation."

Hollis retired hours before the report was made public.

Izzo has declined multiple interview requests and has declined to answer questions on the subject during several public news conferences in the months following the Outside The Lines report.

Carolyn Schaner, who alleged in the Outside The Lines report that Michigan State mishandled sexual assault allegations she made in 2010, said she was not contacted by the NCAA as part of its inquiry. Karen Truszkowski, an attorney who represents multiple clients currently suing the university for sexual assault issues involving student-athletes, said she also was not contacted by the NCAA for its inquiry.

Allswede said she was interviewed by the NCAA's investigators but does not feel the issue has been fully resolved at this point.

"I told the investigator my experiences while at MSU, and how my experiences working with allegations involving athletes were handled differently than allegations against non-athletes," Allswede said. "I have asked different administrators within the university and through several federal investigations about my experiences, with the hope each time that there was an explanation or answer that would justify actions taken and decisions made.

"To this date, nobody has been able to answer my questions or explain why certain cases involving athletes were handled differently. The NCAA concluded their investigation, but I don't have any clarity or assurance, and I don't believe there's been a resolution."

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...-cleared-violations-larry-nassar-scandal-ncaa
He'll be given a lifetime achievement award from the Big Ten along with 2018-2019 CotY.....

He said he would speak about this at the appropriate time. A year later we are still waiting. The guy apparently walks on water over in Michigan.

Reactions: Franisdaman
He said he would speak about this at the appropriate time. A year later we are still waiting. The guy apparently walks on water over in Michigan.
As I stated in this thread, everything I have read makes Izzo look really bad.

FOUR players and ONE former assistant (who lived in Izzo's basement) are all accused of rape.

* There is also a separate alleged sexual assault by two other former players (Adreian Payne and Keith Appling) that Izzo will have to address— what details he knew, why they weren’t suspended at all, even if they weren’t charged.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT