ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Which team wins the B1G West? 47% of You picked IOWA, 40% Wisconsin, 5% Purdue, 4% Nebraska, 3% Minnesota, 1% Northwestern. Poll closed Oct 24

Which team wins the B1G West?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ya. Not the greatest year to try and install a new defense. Granted, they had 8 spring practices, but a lot of missed time this fall. Plenty of book time and walk-throughs I guess. Can't be worse than last year, right?

for Iowa's sake, I do hope it's worse than last year, at least in the first game :)

As an aside, the winner of the Iowa-Purdue game is the leader in the clubhouse for any team in the West to dethrone Wisconsin.

Reactions: HawkBlocked
Wisky is done this year with no Taylor, Cepheus, or a majority of their defense. Iowa has to do it this year or we will never do it with KF again.

Since when did Wisconsin have a problem running the ball and playing defense? Also, they didn't lose a majority of their defense they return a majority of their defense. I will believe they are done when I see it.

I hope Nebraska can realistically be a part of the conversation sometime soon, but I think this year it’s Iowa’s to lose. Wiscy is Wiscy but I think Iowa has the talent to get the W and take the division.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
Purdue is going to be ridiculous on offense if Moore plays. They are still very good without him. Big questions on defense but they do have maybe the most talented lineman in the West division in Karlaftis and Neal is a good interior lineman.

for Iowa's sake, I do hope it's worse than last year, at least in the first game :)

As an aside, the winner of the Iowa-Purdue game is the leader in the clubhouse for any team in the West to dethrone Wisconsin.
I might agree with this actually. Not trying to get my hopes up for Purdue football, but there is a serious case to be made they are the 3rd best team in the west. I'm not high on Minny this year. Especially if Bateman doesn't get his waiver to come back. Luckily, rondale didn't sign an agent.

I went with the Hawks, just because.

However, I am concerned about a newcomer like Petras at QB in some of the colder weather games. I'd prefer he get a couple of 'easy' games under his belt, but you take what you can get. I'm just happy there's gonna be Big Ten football this year. Whatever happens this season is kind of gravy given the season was cancelled before it wasn't.

You better find a way to beat Wisconsin this season because recruiting has taken a big leap forward past 2-3 years and we will start to see those results in a couple of years.
RB clearly takes a step backwards this season with the great Jonathon Taylor in the NFL and yes, Cephus was special but RB has bodies, WR is solid with talented veterans and guys chomping at the bit to get in and we expect a big upgrade at TE depth , giving a healthy Ferguson a chance to really step up this season.
OL will always be functional and the QB IMO is underrated.
A few more question marks than usual but I would be shocked if the defense isn’t excellent.

Reactions: badger-007
You better find a way to beat Wisconsin this season because recruiting has taken a big leap forward past 2-3 years and we will start to see those results in a couple of years.
RB clearly takes a step backwards this season with the great Jonathon Taylor in the NFL and yes, Cephus was special but RB has bodies, WR is solid with talented veterans and guys chomping at the bit to get in and we expect a big upgrade at TE depth , giving a healthy Ferguson a chance to really step up this season.
OL will always be functional and the QB IMO is underrated.
A few more question marks than usual but I would be shocked if the defense isn’t excellent.
Dumb question, but by that logic, couldn't we say that Purdue and Nebraska will beat Wisconsin in a couple years since their past two classes have been ahead of Wisconsin in rivals? And I think Iowa has been right behind?

Interesting 9 game win projections.

Possible Game #9 Matchups:

Ohio State 8.5 vs Wisconsin 7

Penn State 7.5 vs Minnesota 6.5

Michigan 6.5 vs Iowa 5

Indiana 5.5 vs Nebraska 5

Michigan State 3.5 vs Northwestern 4 (play in Week 6; B1G wants to avoid repeat games)

Maryland 2.5 vs Purdue 3.5

Rutgers 1.5 vs Illinois 3.5 (play in Week Week 4; B1G wants to avoid repeat games)

Games #1 thru #8

EiSSYlDWkAcwSHo

Last edited:
Wisconsin is 6.5, so do they get the Over. The odds are with the under. This is a team that did lose to Illinois last year, so let's see how this plays out.

Nebraska improved?

The Badgers open with payback against the Illini, then head to Lincoln.

Back to back games are never easy on the road, and Northwestern has beat the Badgers more than any other West division team. At Michigan isn't chop liver.

Then, final road game at Iowa. Let's not forget Indiana is improved and Minnesota beat Wisconsin two years ago in Madison.

Fwiw

Purdue released their updated roster today. The projected starting OL averaged 305, 10 pounds more than last year. DL averaged 293 (including DE/LB if 3-4 who was at 270) up 25 pounds from last year. LB'ers averaged 235, up 10 pounds from last year. All 3 positions starters average a combined 3+ years of experience. All under 3 last year.

How does this compare to someone like Iowa? Pure curiousity.

Purdue released their updated roster today. The projected starting OL averaged 305, 10 pounds more than last year. DL averaged 293 (including DE/LB if 3-4 who was at 270) up 25 pounds from last year. LB'ers averaged 235, up 10 pounds from last year. All 3 positions starters average a combined 3+ years of experience. All under 3 last year.

How does this compare to someone like Iowa? Pure curiousity.
I don't have an answer to your questions but w/ Rondale Moore back, things just got more interesting......

@RPWinni0
@whoboppin
@HUSKERS2327
@fan fav
@brett.wilson
@Cornmaker
@Swiv3D
@wolve1972

I see that you have predicted/voted that Nebraska wins the 2020 B1G West Championship.

Can you tell us how you see that playing out?
Nebraska should be better on offense this coming season. IMO the CornHusker OL should be much better. Last season Coach Frost started Cam Juergens at center. He was a TE and only had three days of practice at Center, when starting. This caused massive problems in the OL because he didnt know how to call the OL plays and could not hike the ball well. Cam will look much different this coming season and will know the position better. The whole OL returns. Thus I think we will run and pass better.

If the Hawks are 4-0 going into happy valley. I'll be a happy camper.

Iowa is always up for big games. My worry is mediocre games, plus KF not being ready in the early season. Makes this Purdue interesting

Iowa is always up for big games. My worry is mediocre games, plus KF not being ready in the early season. Makes this Purdue interesting
I'll be curious what Iowa's defense looks like. It's always tough, but does the shortened off-season hurt it like we have seen it at many other places? On the opposite side, will Purdues defense manufacture a stop? I think the defense has the pieces to be good, but new DL coach and DC. While both are upgrades from last year, how long does it take?

Key to season in 2015 was early game at Wisconsin.

At Purdue, like early B1G games in 2002 at PSU and against Purdue, will be a key game, followed by back to back home games, then, like 2018, back to back road games, at Minnesota and at Penn State.

Iowa at Purdue will set tone for both programs.

Purdue is 0-3 in season openers under Jeff Brohm. Former Hawkeye Jay Norvell was head coach for Nevada in last year's season opener for Purdue.

Will Iowa be ready?

Who will QB Purdue and how will new defense be implemented under Bob Diaco?

Game will be like Iowa vs. USC .....

Can Iowa offense get out of gate and match Purdue drive for drive?

Note below that Little Debbie AD Moos wanted the West Champion determined by the 6 division games only. I wonder why??? LOL ;)

Oh, and as you can see, he sought fairness in who they play and when. I am assuming he wanted Rutgers for game #1.

All 3 of his ideas for the schedule were REJECTED. Poor Little Debbie.

I don't see it as that big deal. The whole idea was based on allowing the best in the west to play the best in the east for the championship. Why let the East determine who plays for the West in such a short season with no warm up games being played. It isn't like he knew the schedule when he injected his thoughts. In no way does it give Nebraska a step up as we still play Wisky, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, and Purdue. The idea benefited you way more than it did us.

Key to season in 2015 was early game at Wisconsin.

At Purdue, like early B1G games in 2002 at PSU and against Purdue, will be a key game, followed by back to back home games, then, like 2018, back to back road games, at Minnesota and at Penn State.

Iowa at Purdue will set tone for both programs.

Purdue is 0-3 in season openers under Jeff Brohm. Former Hawkeye Jay Norvell was head coach for Nevada in last year's season opener for Purdue.

Will Iowa be ready?

Who will QB Purdue and how will new defense be implemented under Bob Diaco?

Game will be like Iowa vs. USC .....

Can Iowa offense get out of gate and match Purdue drive for drive?
I would assume Plummer starts QB for Purdue. He was the QB that started vs Iowa last year.

For the longest time, the Nebraska fans were like “We don’t settle for mediocrity- if you’re not playing for the national title, you’re irrelevant.”

Now, they are all complaining about having to play OSU and Penn State and getting screwed with their schedule. Sounds like a fan base that hopes to eek out a winning season rather than compete for a natty.

Oh how the mighty hath fallen.

We're fine with playing the schedule, nothing wrong with declaring the deck is a bit stacked out the gate. I'm sure Iowa would say the same if the shoe were on the other foot. Don't be afraid to acknowledge it's a gauntlet of a task for a team that's struggling to get their feet back under them.

Meyer and DiNardo, merely telling it like it is.

"Playing a team that's really good that's not physical, to me that's a whole different animal," former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said Friday on BTN as he discussed the Huskers' schedule. "In the Sunday training room, you're fine. But when you play Wisconsin, they're going to bloody your nose. Ohio State's going to bloody your nose, and so is Penn State. Those are physical, physical teams. And Northwestern has been known to be physical, too.

"My gosh, when I sat and looked at that (Nebraska) schedule, and I'm trying to build my team in Year 3. I don't want to say there's no chance, but they are running uphill on this one."

Added longtime BTN analyst Gerry DiNardo, "I'd go so far as to say this may be the toughest schedule anyone's ever had going into the third year of the program."

"This is an awful schedule," Meyer said of Nebraska's task. "This is hard. Year 3 of trying to build a program. I'm a fan of Nebraska. I'm a fan of Scott Frost. I hope they can survive that. How do you adapt? I don't know. One game a time. Try to win another game, get your guys healthy and go again."

Had the Big 10 canceled and allowed us to play, we would have played anyone that had an opening. The thing is, creating a spur of the moment schedule gives a conference the opportunity to create a schedule loaded with marquee games. Nebraska isn't afraid to play this schedule and only saying such a schedule could have been balance out better. We have a sluggers chance, but it will be an uphill battle the first four games where team health will mean everything. Hopefully year three with SF will pay some dividends. We're just saying it would have been nice to start with Purdue like our original Big 10 schedule had?

Ya. Not the greatest year to try and install a new defense. Granted, they had 8 spring practices, but a lot of missed time this fall. Plenty of book time and walk-throughs I guess. Can't be worse than last year, right?

Two great recruiting classes have given the Boilermakers the talent and size they need on defense. They will be young, but not outmatched as they have been in previous years.

Two great recruiting classes have given the Boilermakers the talent and size they need on defense. They will be young, but not outmatched as they have been in previous years.
Doesn't really address. My concerns....

I'll be curious what Iowa's defense looks like. It's always tough, but does the shortened off-season hurt it like we have seen it at many other places? On the opposite side, will Purdues defense manufacture a stop? I think the defense has the pieces to be good, but new DL coach and DC. While both are upgrades from last year, how long does it take?
after watching NFL players dropping like flies with injuries the past 3 weeks, I worry about the same for B1G teams. and if there is a covid outbreak on a team? a roster could be devastated.

no fans in the stands is gonna be huge, too. teams with the most talent which don't make mistakes should prevail.

I think having no turnover on Iowa's coaching staff does help vs teams that do, like Michigan State (whole new staff) and Purdue (new DC). When players have to learn a new system, (1) they don't have the time they normally would have and (2) they probably will make more mistakes on the field in the first half of the season.

after watching NFL players dropping like flies with injuries the past 3 weeks, I worry about the same for B1G teams. and if there is a covid outbreak on a team? a roster could be devastated.

no fans in the stands is gonna be huge, too. teams with the most talent which don't make mistakes should prevail.

I think having no turnover on Iowa's coaching staff does help vs teams that do, like Michigan State (whole new staff) and Purdue (new DC). When players have to learn a new system, (1) they don't have the time they normally would have and (2) they probably will make more mistakes on the field in the first half of the season.
They have had more time to learn it, but through a computer/walk throughs. Not actually full speed. Seems like that's quite the difference.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Things seem to change daily.

The Wisconsin QB is injured and appears to need surgery. How does this change things, if at all?

And speaking of change, I changed things up with this poll. You are now allowed to change your vote up until Oct 24.

See the "Change Vote" button if you wish to do so.

There currently are 2 clear favorites: Iowa and Wisconsin.

The current vote:
  • IOWA
    Votes: 209.....47.3%
  • Illinois
    Votes: 1............0.2%
  • Purdue
    Votes: 20.........4.5%
  • Minnesota
    Votes: 10..........2.3%
  • Northwestern
    Votes: 4............0.9%
  • Nebraska
    Votes: 16............3.6%
  • Wisconsin
    Votes: 182.........41.2%

Last edited:
Unless Iowa wins the West, I refuse to accept the results. (That is how we do it now, right?)

Reactions: HawkBlocked
More people voted for Purdue than Minnesota? Don't get me wrong, I doubt either one of them wins the B1G West, but Minnesota at least has some chance. Purdon't has.........well..........none

ADVERTISEMENT