ADVERTISEMENT

Voting: Why shouldn't there be a test/minimum requirement?

My goal wouldn't be to help them decide who to vote for. Only to identify a population of voters who have the capacity for making sound decisions (whichever direction they go) that will impact all of us - rather than mindless warm bodies that go and check a box because their parents always checked that same box, or their neighbor/pastor/buddy told them that was the right box to check, etc.
My point was you were testing them on history and knowledge of federal government. People can be ignorant of those things and still make informed decisions about candidates. Can determine who is most likely to help them with their problems. Even if they don't understand the mechanisms of how they would help.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
If you're trying to base it on some sort of intelligence exam, there isn't one that fits your criteria. Heck one's IQ will change to some extent throughout your life.
That's a good point! It'd need to be re-administered periodically - in the same way that I think that you should have to re-take the driving test every 2 or 3 years after turning 60.

My point was you were testing them on history and knowledge of federal government. People can be ignorant of those things and still make informed decisions about candidates. Can determine who is most likely to help them with their problems. Even if they don't understand the mechanisms of how they would help.
Would taking political parties and candidate affiliations off of ballots accomplish this, to an extent? Voters would at least have to know who the candidates were, and what they support/oppose, or else they're basically just 50/50 guessing?

Would taking political parties and candidate affiliations off of ballots accomplish this, to an extent? Voters would at least have to know who the candidates were, and what they support/oppose, or else they're basically just 50/50 guessing?
I'm not sure there is an answer. We're asked to voted on a lot of candidates/issues on each ballot. The ballot is already very long (at least out here) and adding additional info to it would make it very cumbersome. So unless you do your research ahead of time about every single candidate and issue you end up taking some wild swings based off of things like party. And the truth is the percent of people that research every vote is probably less than 5%. So, how do you fix that? You can't force people to research. You can't realistically present more info.
Eventually we'll all vote from our phones and every candidate will have a little video stump speech associated with their name on the ballot. And the russians will hack the shit out of it.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
That's a good point! It'd need to be re-administered periodically - in the same way that I think that you should have to re-take the driving test every 2 or 3 years after turning 60.

But which one do you pick? God only knows how many different tests out there that measure intelligence.

For the record, I disagree with the premise though. The right to vote belongs to all citizens.

The right to vote belongs to all citizens.
Maybe we need to back up and re-define what it takes to be a citizen?!

starship-troopers-web.jpg

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Thought of this thread just now after reading an exchange between a long time Florida political reporter and some ding bat.

Reporter: I get at least one message a week about recalling the Governor. Florida doesn’t have a recall provision, you’ll have to wait until 2022.

Response 1: What are you trying to say reporter?

Reporter: Florida Government 101. There is no way to have a recall vote.

Response 2: (After the fifth response of we can run someone against him or amend the Florida Constitution) Maybe we can run that lady against him?

Well, yes, yes you can. However, before you vote you may actually want to know what that ladies name is. I assume she was referring to Nikki Fried (Florida’s only statewide elected Democrat and current Commissioner of Agriculture) but “that lady” is not her name.

ADVERTISEMENT