ADVERTISEMENT

Vouchers Were Supposed to Save Taxpayer Money. Instead They Blew a Massive Hole in Arizona’s Budget

Would there be as much whining about education spending increases if the spending was managed by bureaucracies instead of parents?

Why not privatize the whole shebang, and sell the public schools to the teachers unions to run as they see fit? Is there that little faith that parents will prefer to send their kids to their schools if they have the choice?

The homeschool option is still the worst part of this. So many people with child abuse convictions and under investigation that can get paid to abuse their child. It’s despicable.

Reactions: Gimmered
Would there be as much whining about education spending increases if the spending was managed by bureaucracies instead of parents?

Why not privatize the whole shebang, and sell the public schools to the teachers unions to run as they see fit? Is there that little faith that parents will prefer to send their kids to their schools if they have the choice?
If someone wants to try privatization, go for it. But you have to accept every student. You have to accept special needs students. What I object to is taxpayers subsidizing two different systems of education.

you wouldn’t see anyone complain if religious indoctrination centers had to report test results or accept iep students.
It’s baffling that you would set up a system that champions private schools without the burden of providing proof or holding them to the same standards.

If someone wants to try privatization, go for it. But you have to accept every student.

That misses the point. What if my school is designed for children on the spectrum?
One size doesn't fit all, even if it makes it easier for bureaucrats to manage.

You have to accept special needs students. What I object to is taxpayers subsidizing two different systems of education.

We need more than two. Could be dozens, even hundreds of different to approaches to education to better fit different circumstances and abilities.
Can you imagine there only being two kinds of restaurants?
Would that best meet every need?
It might tickle somebodies heart that everyone had the same options, but what about he people that want different options altogether?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Our property tax bill now includes three separate school systems in Milwaukee. MPS Public, MPS charter, and private voucher.
Scores have remained about even for students of similar backgrounds across the systems. But we now pay overhead across three systems.
The whole thing should be blown apart starting with administrations. All the new funding seems to get swallowed up with buildings and administrators instead of with more teachers and teaching support where the most good is done.

Last edited:
That misses the point. What if my school is designed for children on the spectrum?

We need more than two. Could be dozens, even hundreds of different to approaches to education to better fit different circumstances and abilities.
It might tickle somebodies heart that everyone had the same options, but what about he people that want different options altogether?
This analogy is not even close to true. Honestly, differentiation is a bureaucratic term that has been blown out of proportion. Private schools aren’t out there doing some new and amazing teaching. They just get the cream of the crop and people act like the are doing something special.

you wouldn’t see anyone complain if religious indoctrination centers had to report test results or accept iep students.
It’s baffling that you would set up a system that champions private schools without the burden of providing proof or holding them to the same standards.

I expect parents will do a better job of holding private institutions accountable than politicians have proven to be able to with public institutions.
It's easier to take your voucher somewhere, and especially to spread the word about incompetence.

If you visit a bad restaurant do you worry about lobbying the local politicians to shut it down, and keep it from taking your money? Or do you just tell your friends it sucked and take your money to somewhere else instead?

• Haha
This analogy is not even close to true. Honestly, differentiation is a bureaucratic term that has been blown out of proportion. Private schools aren’t out there doing some new and amazing teaching. They just get the cream of the crop and people act like the are doing something special.
Colleges are allowed to be selective about who they enroll, are they and their students worse off because of it, or better off?

Do taxpayers subsidize restaurants so everyone can get a meal? If you’re going to set up a subsidized system of service delivery does it make sense to set up multiple models or have a single subsidized model? Perhaps you try different delivery methods but you pick one and stick with it.

I expect parents will do a better job of holding private institutions accountable than politicians have proven to be able to with public institutions.
It's easier to take your voucher somewhere, and especially to spread the word about incompetence.

If you visit a bad restaurant do you worry about lobbying the local politicians to shut it down, and keep it from taking your money? Or do you just tell your friends it sucked and take your money to somewhere else instead?
Do you know what a school board is. Newman catholic is only accountable to one entity and it’s not the parents.

Nice restaurant analogy. Just because the patron doesn’t know what a medium cooked steak looks like, it doesn’t make them right.
It’s hard to “spread the word” about a private school when they don’t educate any difficult kids and don’t have to report their results for comparison.

Do taxpayers subsidize restaurants so everyone can get a meal?

Taxpayers are subsidizing the education of just about everyone K-12.

Currently taxpayers subsidize poor people's food purchases, but they hand them the purchasing power and let them shop.
They don't dictate they all get their food from union run food banks.

If you’re going to set up a subsidized system of service delivery does it make sense to set up multiple models or have a single subsidized model? Perhaps you try different delivery methods but you pick one and stick with it.
You're thinking from the viewpoint (and for the convenience) of the bureaucracy, and not the public.
From the viewpoint of the public it makes sense to develop models that meet disparate needs.
If the people don't bring you the resources to make your model work, they don't really want it.

It’s hard to “spread the word” about a private school when they don’t educate any difficult kids and don’t have to report their results for comparison.
You really think the output of these schools won't be noticed?
It was through word of mouth that my wife and I decided to enroll our kids at Temple Israel Pre-K. They didn't submit to government regulation, and we got no assistance in paying for it, but we observed and were satisfied with our children's progress.
When they closed during the pandemic we selected another school for my son. We had heard good things about Scottsdale Academy, but it wasn't by checking government accredited scores, and this was a regulated pre-K.

It was through word of mouth that my wife and I decided to enroll our kids at Temple Israel Pre-K. They didn't submit to government regulation, and we got no assistance in paying for it, but we observed and were satisfied with our children's progress.
When they closed during the pandemic we selected another school for my son. We had heard good things about Scottsdale Academy, but it wasn't by checking government accredited scores, and this was a regulated pre-K.

Shalom

Good for you, that's the way private school enrollment should work. If you don't want your child to attend a public school pay for the option of private school. ( I don't think there are published government accredited scores for any PK public or private.)

Do you know what a school board is. Newman catholic is only accountable to one entity and it’s not the parents.
When the accountability rests with the parent, they can take their kid elsewhere.
Do you think the entity in charge of Newman Catholic wants an enrollment of zero?

Taxpayers are subsidizing the education of just about everyone K-12.

Currently taxpayers subsidize poor people's food purchases, but they hand them the purchasing power and let them shop.
They don't dictate they all get their food from union run food banks.

You're thinking from the viewpoint (and for the convenience) of the bureaucracy, and not the public.
From the viewpoint of the public it makes sense to develop models that meet disparate needs.
If the people don't bring you the resources to make your model work, they don't really want it.
What are the needs of families already in private schools that aren't being met?

75% of the vouchers are going to families that have never been in public schools. It is a subsidy for the well off and religious schools. Not to mention the private administration providers.

Because they have no standards to adhere to. Public monies going to these entities without any accountability. You rail against this in other posts but now that it benefits you, you are for it.

You're such a hypocrite.

When the accountability rests with the parent, they can take their kid elsewhere.
Do you think the entity in charge of Newman Catholic wants an enrollment of zero?
Except they can't. It's up to the school to accept them. It's not the parent's choice, it's the school/church making that decision.

Good for you, that's the way private school enrollment should work.
Why shouldn't all school work that way?

Colleges are allowed to be selective about who they enroll, are they and their students worse off because of it, or better off?

Because it's not college. It's primary and secondary education that are mandated because an educated youth is a benefit to our entire society. That's one of your dumber arguments.

The cost of Arizona's eight-month-old universal school voucher program is projected to hit $900 million over the next year, far beyond the money budgeted for the program just three weeks ago, according to a report by the Arizona Department of Education.

And none of it is accountable. This covers an estimated 100,000 students out of over 1.1 million public school students. Less than 10% and the vast majority were already attending private schools. This is $900M subsidy to well off families.

Super idea. Then you are for private schools accepting everyone and following ieps to the letter of the law. And. Reporting results. Good for you.

Colleges aren't free, K-12 public schools are fully funded by taxpayers.

Super idea. Then you are for private schools accepting everyone and following ieps to the letter of the law. And. Reporting results. Good for you.

Why even write a post like that?

Why deliberately misconstrue my post?

Does it make you feel good?

You act like private schools are a new thing.

Why even write a post like that?

Why deliberately misconstrue my post?

Does it make you feel good?
Because unless private schools accept all students, you are merely funneling money away from public education and making life more precarious for all students with special needs and all poor families.

You clearly haven’t spent five minutes thinking about any of this.

You act like private schools are a new thing.
I just don't buy the justifications for maintaining the existing bureaucracies in lieu of a consumer choice driven model for everyone.

Would you agree it's preferable to let consumers spend food stamps instead of having the government run grocery stores?

Because unless private schools accept all students, you are merely funneling money away from public education and making life more precarious for all students with special needs and all poor families.

You clearly haven’t spent five minutes thinking about any of this.
My wife spends three days a week at a special needs school in Quincy.
I don't think those kids would be better off at the elementary down the street that my kids go to.

I just don't buy the justifications for maintaining the existing bureaucracies in lieu of a consumer choice driven model for everyone.

Would you agree it's preferable to let consumers spend food stamps instead of having the government run grocery stores?
Nobody is stopping private schools. We’re just saying private schools either pay for themselves (because, you know, they’re private) or they operate under the same guidelines as public schools. Otherwise it is crazy to give them public money.

Such a stupid comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT