PG - Jordan Bo, 2- Joe Wieskamp 3- Patrick Mac 4- R Kreiner 5- Luka

If Jordan Bo cannot go, right away, then------

pg- Joe Toussaint/ Connor
2- CJ Frederick, Valpo transfer
3- Joe Wieskamp
4- Patrick Mac/ R Kreiner/ Pemsl
5- Luka Garza, Jack N

Reactions: Hod
Sounds like PMac will be playing the 3, if he is good enough roll Joe to the 2. Joe needs 30mpg+ so he is gonna get ample time at the 2 and the 3 IMO (if Patrick is as good as advertised).

Kreiner is a 5, Jack will play mostly the 4 rotating with Pemsl.

I don't expect Bohannon to play this year... so I'm going with this...

C-Luka Garza 6'11" 245lbs. Jr
PF-Cordell Pemsl 6'8" 240lbs. Jr
SF-Patrick McCaffrey 6'9" 190lbs. Fr
OG-Joe Wieskamp 6'6" 205lbs. So
PG-Joe Toussaint 6'0" 185lbs. Fr

C-Ryan Kriener 6'9" 255lbs. Sr
PF-Jack Nunge 6'11" 250lbs. So
WG-C.J. Fredrick 6'4" 195lbs. Fr
CG-Bakari Evelyn 6'2" 180lbs. Sr
PG-Connor McCaffrey 6'5" 205lbs. So

Yeah, Patrick is not a 4 anymore than Uthoff was. I can see Joe W playing a lot of 2 with Patrick at the 3

Also, Nunge is no longer a 3. He is solely a 4/5 who hopefully can knock down shots to spread the floor much like Garza.

Reactions: 2432Hawk and unIowa
Unless Wieskamp is injured and out for an extended time at the start of the season there is no way Patrick starts at the 3.
JW will start at the 3 and maybe play the 2 at times during the season but if posters on here think that JW is going to play the off guard full time.....well I can't help you.
Now it's quite possible that Fran will have Fredrick, Wieskamp, Evelyn, Patrick, & Connor on the floor at the same time since they can all play multiple positions, that's a distinct possibility.
As for the power forward position, Fran may allow Kriener to start there because he's a senior but I'm betting that Nunge will play the 4 most of the time. There again you have multiple players that are not restrained by only playing 1 position. Nunge, Garza, Kriener, Pemsl, and Patrick can move around and play different positions so again may see them all play some center, power forward and small forward although I'd rather see Wieskamp, Patrick, Fredrick, Evelyn, or Connor man the 3 position.
Until Jordan's medical issues are resolved, Iowa has 4 players that can man the point guard position, Connor, Evelyn, Fredrick, and Toussaint. That should provide enough ball handling to get by until Jordan returns.
Speaking of Jordan has anyone seen him lately? Is he bed ridden? Is he walking without the aid crutches? Is he improving at all? Has he been seen around Carver at all? An answer to anyone of those questions by someone in the know would be gratefully appreciated.

Nunge will start the 4 and be one of our better players. Amazing how some here have underrated him.

He was a beast this offseason.

How could we know he was a beast this off season outside of Fran saying he has been playing very well? So what we have to go on is from his frosh year and while there were times he looked good there was more time where he appeared lost and out of his element which is natural for most freshmen.

How could we know he was a beast this off season outside of Fran saying he has been playing very well? So what we have to go on is from his frosh year and while there were times he looked good there was more time where he appeared lost and out of his element which is natural for most freshmen.

It hasn't been only Fran. JaBo, Baer and others have made similar statements.

Assuming JBo is out, which I hope he isn't! I'll go with this...

Starters:
PG - Joe T
SG - Bakari/CJF
SF - Joe W
PF - Nunge
C - Garza

Backups:
PG - Connor/Bakari
SG - CJF
SF - Connor/Patrick
PF - Pemsl
C - Kriener

Yes, CMac at the 3 spot. He is more capable of guarding a 3 vs any guard position. He has the height for the position. His outside shot was atrocious last season. Let's hope that improves by a magnitude of 3! However, he is a much better shot from the field. He can take it to the basket and shoot, draw a foul or dish.

With Connor playing the point, defenders drop off big time. That is not good. Why not have him playing the SF position?

Any word on Jordan lately? Is he walking without a crutch or other support? I do not know much on this type of situation... Hope he is progressing quickly and doing well!

Last edited:
JBO does not play, that's my thinking

Joe T - PG
Evelyn - SG
Joe W - SF
Nunge - PF
Garza - C

Connor, Evelyn, Frederick - PG back up
Joe W, Frederick, Connor - SG back up
Patrick, Connor - SF back up
Pemsl, Kriener, Till - PF back up
Kreiner, Nunge, Pemsl - C back up

It hasn't been only Fran. JaBo, Baer and others have made similar statements.
Plenty of players are great in practice, but then for some reason it doesn't translate into actual game performance. Need I remind you about coaches and players raving about a certain player's 3-point shooting prowess?

I'm optimistic about Nunge. But we have insufficient data to give him any kind of rating.

I will play along. I have a sneaking suspicion that JBo will be playing at some point this year so I see it as this:
1 - C McCaffery, Toussaint, Evelyn
2 - Frederick, Evelyn, C McCaffery, and JBo if/when he comes back
3 - Wieskamp, P McCaffery, Till
4 - Pemsl, Kriener, Nunge
5 - Garza, Nunge, Kriener

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Save JBo for next year,I don't see PMac starting when others have more experience. I would guess Toussaint and a seasoned Evelyn at the guards. Wieskamp and Garza start without a doubt. The final spot is up in the air. Kriener is a good solid player but is also needed to back up Garza. Pemsl also has a hard work ethic. Nunge should be solid. Those three at practice will decide the final spot.

Reactions: joemc2 and Quintana
With Jordan back, I'll go with

PG - Jordan Bo, 2- Joe Wieskamp 3- Patrick Mac 4- R Kreiner 5- Luka

If Jordan Bo cannot go, right away, then------

pg- Joe Toussaint/ Connor
2- CJ Frederick, Valpo transfer
3- Joe Wieskamp
4- Patrick Mac/ R Kreiner/ Pemsl
5- Luka Garza, Jack N

You're smokin rocks.

Reactions: unIowa
Big question is who is better CJ or Pat? If CJ then Weezy starts at SF, if Pat then SG.

I like Jack at PF and Garza at C. Other big ? is BE, JT or CM at PG. My pick is Connor. Plenty of depth experienced depth too. Hard to really know without JBo but I expect a great season anyway.

Reactions: joemc2
Big question is who is better CJ or Pat? If CJ then Weezy starts at SF, if Pat then SG.

I like Jack at PF and Garza at C. Other big ? is BE, JT or CM at PG. My pick is Connor. Plenty of depth experienced depth too. Hard to really know without JBo but I expect a great season anyway.

I would have to guess that CJF is much more college ready after sitting out a year. He has played against some good college competition for a year. Plus he has bulked up... If he is all that, as many Hawkeyes have stated, then he'll be a player.

They are two totally different types of players. But Joe W has the 3 spot locked down. And we have some question marks in the backcourt.... As in all off them. I am enthusiastic about our situation in the backcourt with only one player a true freshman. However, we have only seen Connor. And that shooting is not starter material.

Game 1:
Connor
CJ
Joe W
Nunge
Garza

March:
Joe T / Connor
CJ / Evelyn
Joe W / Pat
Nunge / Pemsl
Garza / Kriener
Nice 10 man rotation.
Evelyn will play a big role, along with Kriener, Patrick and Pemsl. Won’t see Bohannon imo.

Fredrick and Evelyn could be quite good.

Most likely Game 1 starting lineup:
PG - Connor
SG - Evelyn
SF - Wieskamp
PF - Nunge
C - Garza

That would be our most veteran lineup. Excluding moving Pemsl or Kriener to start at the 4.

We would have a 5th year player, 3 3rd year players and Joe W... Experience matters.

That would be our most veteran lineup. Excluding moving Pemsl or Kriener to start at the 4.

We would have a 5th year player, 3 3rd year players and Joe W... Experience matters.

Yes that's right. The 1st B1G game may be a different story. It's gpoing to be fun to see how it shakes out,

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
People are counting out Pemsl. He is too important as a team player to not be on the floor. He will be one of the leaders on this team for the next 2 years.

Hey, I had him starting :)

For some reason, I just like having Pemsl and Garza together. Seems they played well off each other 2 seasons ago. Pemsl is an enforcer..... as is Kriener. So having them paired with our 6'11" posts that like to step out and shoot 3's is a good mix. Really, I think there are so many options/possibilities with this team. Think we could be a sleeper for the Big Ten Title this year.

Hey, I had him starting :)

For some reason, I just like having Pemsl and Garza together. Seems they played well off each other 2 seasons ago. Pemsl is an enforcer..... as is Kriener. So having them paired with our 6'11" posts that like to step out and shoot 3's is a good mix. Really, I think there are so many options/possibilities with this team. Think we could be a sleeper for the Big Ten Title this year.

I like the sleeper thought. Our 3-5 positions will be very solid. We should be able to match up with anyone in the B1G. They will be fun to see... But Our backcourt is really going to have to come together for it to happen. Especially if JBo is out... That noted I am overly eager to see them in action! Joe T, Bakari, CJF, and hopefully CMac with an outside shot. I think we could be good here. Sleeper good.

Listening to the Neb.beat writer gush about their talent yesterday on an Omaha radio 590 reminded me how every single fan base in the league is overly optimistic in the summer.
They see Iowa as falling back after losing the equivlent of four starters in TC,Moss,JBo,and Baer .
So I have to wait and see on where this team fits in the league pecking order.
I suspect we will be picked around 9-10 preseason.
That would make us a true longshot to even challenge for top four.

I like the sleeper thought. Our 3-5 positions will be very solid. We should be able to match up with anyone in the B1G. They will be fun to see... But Our backcourt is really going to have to come together for it to happen. Especially if JBo is out... That noted I am overly eager to see them in action! Joe T, Bakari, CJF, and hopefully CMac with an outside shot. I think we could be good here. Sleeper good.
The roster losses have to ‘officially’ downgrade speculation about this team. But the newcomers appear to address team weaknesses while maintaining a potent offense around JW and Garza. That appears to point forward in momentum. JoeT and Bakari add quickness on both sides of the ball. Nunge could give Garza more space with his shooting and more interior height on D. CJ could be a shooter with more court awareness. Patrick could be a more physically gifted Baer. But they’re all somewhat unknowns on a college court. 3 are frosh, Nunge was 20 lbs lighter playing SF as a frosh 2 yrs ago, Evelyn was recovering from injury last year and in a much more deliberate system per his recent interview. There’s potential to fulfill, but the talent pieces are there to make it an interesting and perhaps ‘sleeper’ year.

Last edited:
I don't expect Bohannon to play this year... so I'm going with this...

C-Luka Garza 6'11" 245lbs. Jr
PF-Cordell Pemsl 6'8" 240lbs. Jr
SF-Patrick McCaffrey 6'9" 190lbs. Fr
OG-Joe Wieskamp 6'6" 205lbs. So
PG-Joe Toussaint 6'0" 185lbs. Fr

C-Ryan Kriener 6'9" 255lbs. Sr
PF-Jack Nunge 6'11" 250lbs. So
WG-C.J. Fredrick 6'4" 195lbs. Fr
CG-Bakari Evelyn 6'2" 180lbs. Sr
PG-Connor McCaffrey 6'5" 205lbs. So
Patrick McCaffrey is 6'9" and 190 lbs? Is that weight accurate? I hope he can add some pounds quickly.

Plenty of players are great in practice, but then for some reason it doesn't translate into actual game performance. Need I remind you about coaches and players raving about a certain player's 3-point shooting prowess?

I'm optimistic about Nunge. But we have insufficient data to give him any kind of rating.
With perimeter shooters you’re always going to talk up their confidence.
I feel like when a big gets talked about it’s usually genuine.

Patrick McCaffrey is 6'9" and 190 lbs? Is that weight accurate? I hope he can add some pounds quickly.

that's what they have him listed it at on hawkeyesports.com official site. I believe he's still just under the 190lbs. but he's gotten much stronger... just very thin and having problems adding the lbs. Wish I had that problem :)

From what I've heard he's really playing well and defensively REALLY well. His length at the SF position is giving Wieskamp issues head to head.

that's what they have him listed it at on hawkeyesports.com official site. I believe he's still just under the 190lbs. but he's gotten much stronger... just very thin and having problems adding the lbs. Wish I had that problem :)

From what I've heard he's really playing well and defensively REALLY well. His length at the SF position is giving Wieskamp issues head to head.

PMac is gonna be a taller Glen Vidnovic for the Hawks. His frame is his frame. Still talented and productive.

I’d ask this same question of many programs right now including my own and that is ‘based on what exactly’? Most of this is based on interviews, speculation and very brief practice videos. None of this is based on actual basketball games. Yet, there is optimism (which is good) and suddenly the discovery of all these ‘missing pieces’. I’d prefer to see an actual game or two before really banking on anything outside of JW & LG who are proven.

People are counting out Pemsl. He is too important as a team player to not be on the floor. He will be one of the leaders on this team for the next 2 years.

The more I think about CP the more I think he the most impact coming off the bench as that chippy spark plug that is willing to mix it up w the other team and can make a few plays right out of the gate.

Different type of player than Nicholas Baer but similar off the bench role.

ADVERTISEMENT