ADVERTISEMENT

Wadley shouldn't have been yanked

Wadley needs to stop acting like a dumb fu&k.

It's really pretty simple. He just can't help himself for some reason.

Reactions: mehawk
For that pathetic call on him. Not really wanting to rag on kf but he should have stood up for his guy Wadley and said screw you refs you made a terribly stupid call and had Wadley right back in there the next play to let him score again.
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing KF and company knows what makes Wadley tick more than you, and how that affects the entire entity of the team.

Huh? What does Wadley do that's so terrible? Guess I'll I see is him making huge plays in helping the hawks win.
He drew an unsportsmanlike penalty at a time when Iowa was a little off that took a TD off the board. That's a terrible decision. I still can't wait until he's on the field again. I just hope his ankle tweak (which happened before his TD, err no TD, catch) is minor.

Reactions: mick82
He drew an unsportsmanlike penalty at a time when Iowa was a little off that took a TD off the board. That's a terrible decision. I still can't wait until he's on the field again. I just hope his ankle tweak (which happened before his TD, err no TD, catch) is minor.

So you're saying you agree with the pathetic call, gotcha

Not really wanting to rag on kf but he should have stood up for his guy Wadley and said screw you refs you made a terribly stupid call and had Wadley right back in there the next play to let him score again.
That would be putting the screws to the refs? Uh, OK.

The rule changed a few years ago due to players holding the football out before crossing the goal line when there was no tackler near. It was viewed as a form of celebration.

The rule changed in that celebrating before crossing the goal line would negate the touchdown. Had Wadley celebrated after crossing the goal line, the TD would have stood and the penalty enforced on the ensuing play.

Whether you agree with the rule or not, that is the rule.

How many time has he did it before and it was never called? There have been several. There is 10 times worse crap that doesn't get called so yeah I would say you're missing something.
By definition, the rule was enforced properly. Just because it was never called doesn't mean it wasn't breaking the rules. Whether you agree with the application is irrelevant. Do you get pulled over for speeding 100% of the times you speed?

For that pathetic call on him. Not really wanting to rag on kf but he should have stood up for his guy Wadley and said screw you refs you made a terribly stupid call and had Wadley right back in there the next play to let him score again.

He wasn't yanked.

This article sums it up pretty well. Essentially:
  • Unsportsmanlike conduct is "an unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone"
  • It's a dumb rule; however,
    • You can't deny Akrum did this
    • You can't blame the officials for enforcing the rule
    • Akrum should have known about the rule
And we all know this isn't the first time Akrum has pushed the envelope on getting called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Even though it's a stupid rule, Akrum needs to learn to follow it.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo.../iowa-akrum-wadley-touchdown-celebration-2017

You had one too many at Wild E Coyotes bud.

You can't really rag on him for a terrible call. That's like ragging on AJE for getting tackled then tackling the QB low and getting 15 yarder. Both were terrible calls.

So you don't think coaches specifically tell the players to not do those things? And when they do them anyway, no problem?

I don't enjoy Wadley's celebratory antics, but I will say: His jitterbugging up to and in the hole embarrasses the defense more than his open field high-stepping
:)

You can't really rag on him for a terrible call. That's like ragging on AJE for getting tackled then tackling the QB low and getting 15 yarder. Both were terrible calls.

Yes, it was a terrible call. Yes, Wadley shouldn't have done it. No, it doesn't mean that Wadley is stupid or whatever some of the posters here are saying. In the moment he was excited and did two high-steps. There can be some gray area. I'm glad it got called against North Texas and not against Penn State or another game where taking a TD off the board could mean difference between winning and losing.

Wadley wasn't yanked per say.but KF did let him know he can't be doing that.

The rule changed a few years ago due to players holding the football out before crossing the goal line when there was no tackler near. It was viewed as a form of celebration.

The rule changed in that celebrating before crossing the goal line would negate the touchdown. Had Wadley celebrated after crossing the goal line, the TD would have stood and the penalty enforced on the ensuing play.

Whether you agree with the rule or not, that is the rule.

I am no rules expert. Is the rule somewhat subjective? I believe I have seen him do this in the past without being called.

Just curious.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I come to Kinnick Stadium to be entertained. Watching a player high step is entertainment.

That's how I feel, and I know I'm the only one who cares.

Reactions: mickv and hawx
My bad I thought they said on tv that he was pulled out for the penalty.

He was. Per Morehouse, "Wadley was benched for a few series and didn’t touch the ball again until 8:12 of the second quarter."

I'm surprised that he didn't get benched for doing it before, even when it wasn't called. I don't agree with the call or benching him because of it, but we all know KF is all business all the time.

Reactions: K OKeefe
"Is it going to be weird now for running back Akrum Wadley? He appeared to score a 74-yard TD on a short swing pass, but Wadley high-stepped for a few strides just before crossing the goal line. He was hit with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

The Hawkeyes eventually scored the late first-quarter TD (off a tipped pass from QB Nate Stanley to tight end T.J. Hockenson), but Wadley was benched for a few series and didn’t touch the ball again until 8:12 of the second quarter.

He saw only three plays before leaving the game with a minor ankle injury. Ferentz said Wadley almost left the lockerroom without ice on the ankle, but he was sent back.

“It doesn’t look like anything serious,” Ferentz said. “He just didn’t feel real confident in that second half.”

Wadley is an energy player. The unsportsmanlike seemed to sap that energy. He saw a series of coaches on his way through the bench after the call, but the first one was Ferentz.

“I just told him he’s too good of a player to do that,” Ferentz said. “Close, not close, but why give anybody an opportunity to have to make that decision. He’s too good of a player for that.”

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/stat-pak-iowa-will-need-full-go-wadley-for-penn-state-20170917?utm_medium=email&utm_source=boomtrain&bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiYzQ2Yjk4MTEtOTFmZS00NDdlLThkNjMtZGVlMmFmMTFlYWY4In0=&utm_campaign=20160610

It appears that Marc Morehouse wrote that Wadley was benched for the penalty. It was a horrible call.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Hey pot why don't you take your own advice?

Wadley did NOTHING wrong and that will NOT be called again this year get a clue!

You need to get a clue. He broke the rule. A stupid rule? Yes! But he broke it! Another poster cited the exact wording of the rule. He clearly broke it. He knows better.

If you're going to take issue with me on this than you're also taking issue with Ferentz. Ferentz admonished him on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT