ADVERTISEMENT

Wadley

CleteyColgate

HR Heisman
Nov 12, 2012
What percent of his story do you think is true? It appears to me that a portion (small or large?) of the narrative has shifted over time based on a number of factors, including why he wasn't drafted into the NFL. Seems to be a bit opportunistic.

I think it’s ironic how “upset” he was over Brian’s quips about robbing gas stations/liquor stores, until he began actually stealing money from Iowa fans and content creators upon graduation.

I’m also glad you didn’t post the story. Much like DJK, it doesn’t need a platform

edit: I will add that hopefully Brian’s comments about Spearman aren’t true, and that Iowa should question those who would have been in the room about them

Last edited:
I could see all of it being true but to me it just proves that people can be dicks. Minus the meal card issue, that could be the big sticking point to me.

Reactions: amahawk
This is going to come as a shock to a lot of you, but a lot of times, an athlete's career doesn't go exactly as they hope and it ends up being everyone's fault but their own.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't always the case, but you're usually treated the way you deserve to be.

I was in a doctor's office a little while back, and the guy next to me and I were waiting to be checked in. We were both wearing masks.

The guy looked over at me and said, "we look like we're here to rob the place".

Of course, I was so offended, I punched him in the face and I'm now suing my doctor for allowing a hostile work environment. Also, I am getting counseling. :rolleyes:;)

My 2 cents: Brian is an idiot who has had some.major advantages go his way or he wouldn't be close to where he is now but an idiot does not mean he is a racist.

Seth Wallace needs to be walked out the door ASAP.
Yeah I’m not sure how Wallace still has a job. The Kellenberger story alone should be enough.

at the very least Iowa football has a toxic, bullying culture. And that’s only if you are so inclined to leave racism completely out of the discussion.

Wadleys actions lately have me believing he is chasing that settlement money.

There is almost zero way to prove one way or the other what went on here. A text ordering 20 hours of community service for an unknown item? Complaining because KF gave him notes on what to say to the media? The bit about hurting Spearman is so over the top that if it was said that coach should never be around players again. If it was said, it would seem others would corroborate it. But then complaining about Jewell being named a starter? He only went on to be named to the All Decade team in the Big 10.

I don't know how this ends well for Wadley. It just won't.

Wadleys actions lately have me believing he is chasing that settlement money.

Bingo. I have no doubt some of if could be true and Brian seems like a less "measured" person then his father but there are a lot of holes in Wadley's story and the timing is very interesting. Wadley could have transferred, he could have left after his Junior Year to try for the NFL, and on and on.

Bingo. I have no doubt some of if could be true and Brian seems like a less "measured" person then his father but there are a lot of holes in Wadley's story and the timing is very interesting. Wadley could have transferred, he could have left after his Junior Year to try for the NFL, and on and on.

I also find it interesting that Akrum has not posted this in his own account. I do not now if this is because he was told to stay off of Twitter by his attorney (ironic) or his attorney and Mom are directing him on what to say. Someone needs to ask his attorney about the request to give Akrum’s brother a scholarship at Iowa.

My 2 cents: Brian is an idiot who has had some.major advantages go his way or he wouldn't be close to where he is now but an idiot does not mean he is a racist.

Seth Wallace needs to be walked out the door ASAP.

lies, lies.. lies
jay-paterno-fe1ef01e97e3adec.jpg

Reactions: mstp1992
I also find it interesting that Akrum has not posted this in his own account. I do not now if this is because he was told to stay off of Twitter by his attorney (ironic) or his attorney and Mom are directing him on what to say. Someone needs to ask his attorney about the request to give Akrum’s brother a scholarship at Iowa.
I don't think this guy representing him is an attorney. At least as far as I can tell. I didn't see anything suggesting he had a law degree. I find it interesting because he seems to have hired a PR guy rather than a lawyer. If someone finds out he is a lawyer please correct me.

Wadley is a little bitch along with his family. Iowa was so awful, so why did you try to get your brother to attend?

Whole bunch of sour grapes for little Wadley not getting accepted and nothing but going after money now

Take a look at Wadley’s twitter history, contradicts quite a bit if he was truly miserable

I think it’s ironic how “upset” he was over Brian’s quips about robbing gas stations/liquor stores, until he began actually stealing money from Iowa fans and content creators upon graduation.

I’m also glad you didn’t post the story. Much like DJK, it doesn’t need a platform

edit: I will add that hopefully Brian’s comments about Spearman aren’t true, and that Iowa should question those who would have been in the room about them

I don't want to give this any more attention than it deserves, but s$itstirrers do have people who believe them

Akrum might not have liked Kirk helping him with his comments to the media, but it appears that his mom is controlling his life in a much larger way than the program did while he was at Iowa.

Last edited:
In about 10 years something tells me that Akrum will have a lot of regrets about how he has handled things post Iowa.

Yup. Not sure these guys fully understand the, "once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye." Many ex athletes end up staying in Iowa city area and build a career off of their name; no shame in that. A little tough to do once you attempt to burn the place down.

See ya, 25. You only hurt yourself in this situation.

Anyone care to summarize what he said? I saw the final part of his statement on Twitter but haven't had the time to read it all.

Here's the story from HawkCentral:

In scathing public statement, former Hawkeyes standout Akrum Wadley says he regrets playing football at Iowa

Mark Emmert, Hawk Central
Published 1:19 p.m. CT June 29, 2020 | Updated 2:01 p.m. CT June 29, 2020

Akrum Wadley released a statement Monday alleging mistreatment so bothersome from his Iowa football coaches that he now regrets ever playing for the Hawkeyes.

"What you see on TV isn't what you get behind closed doors," the statement from the recent Hawkeye standout concluded.

Wadley compiled 3,633 rushing and receiving yards with 35 touchdowns as a Hawkeye running back from 2014-17. Yet he said playing on Saturdays was his only relief after enduring mental and physical anguish during the week at the hands of his coaches.

Wadley's statement, posted on the Facebook page of Pre-PostGame CEO Robert T. Green, mentioned head coach Kirk Ferentz, offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz, director of player development Broderick Binns and former strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle.

Green's Massachusetts-based company is "designed to empower athletes on the business of sports." He has been representing some former Hawkeyes as they speak out about their experiences in Kirk Ferentz's program.

About 50 former Iowa players, most of them Black, have gone public this month with claims of racial bias within the program. Doyle was singled out by many and has since been removed from the coaching staff under an agreement in which he admitted no guilt and will be paid $1.1 million. The university has hired a law firm to conduct a review of the football program.

Kirk Ferentz has held two news conferences on the topic in which he promised to listen to former players and take steps to make the team he has coached for 21 years more inclusive. The law firm's findings should be available to Iowa officials soon, if athletic director Gary Barta's timeline from two weeks ago was accurate.

Wadley on Monday reiterated his claims that Brian Ferentz, Kirk's son, on several occasions jokingly asked him if he was on his way to commit a robbery when Wadley was leaving the football practice field while wearing a team-issued wool hat that covered his face in cold weather. He wrote of another time when Brian Ferentz cursed at him and threatened him for parking in an unmarked spot at the football facility before heading to take an exam.

"I was angry, frustrated and numb all at the same time," Wadley wrote.

Wadley said Kirk Ferentz would prepare notes instructing him what to say to the media in interviews. One topic that consistently came up was Wadley's weight, with Ferentz and other coaches bringing up the need for Wadley to check in at 190 pounds or more, which was a challenge for the 5-foot-10 native of New Jersey.

Wadley said trying to consume pounds of energy drinks before working out left him vomiting and achy, at first once a week and eventually daily.

He said he received news of various punishments from Binns, but that he was given no explanation for the reasons.

The Facebook post Monday included a screen shot of a text-message chain reportedly between Wadley and Binns in which Binns informs the player that he must perform 20 hours of community service, as ordered by Brian Ferentz. "I don't know what you did," the texter that is allegedly Binns says at one point.

Binns, a Black former Iowa player, has been named interim director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the athletic department and is a key figure in the school's response to claims of racial insensitivity within the football program.

Wadley said he thought about leaving the team often and that he turned to alcohol as a coping mechanism.

"I felt like playing for Iowa football was a living nightmare," Wadley said.

"I am done giving them power over me. But if I could do it all over again, I wish I never played for the Iowa Hawkeyes. I would not encourage any future athletes or parents to send your kid to go play for the Iowa Hawkeyes under that current coaching staff."

Wadley is an unsigned NFL free agent after a brief stint with the Tennessee Titans in 2018.

........................................................................................

Mark Emmert covers the Iowa Hawkeyes for the Register. Reach him at memmert@registermedia.com or 319-339-7367. Follow him on Twitter at @MarkEmmert.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2020/06/29/akrum-wadley-racism-allegations-kirk-ferentz-brian-ferentz-chris-doyle-iowa-football/3278786001/

Last edited:
Here are the texts messages.

Between Coach White and Akrum. After the bye with after Illinois game. Iowa was 4-2 after the game. (White left Iowa in Jan 2017)

EbrooFkXYAM_M34

Last edited:
Perhaps I am out of touch, being 48 yrs old and living a majority of my life in the predominantly white Des Moines area, but we were diverse enough to have hispanic, african american and asian kids as teammates growing up. When involved in sports, coaches were HARD on all players and race was never deemed a factor in my eyes. If you screwed up, you got yelled at. You were called slang words for being physically weak or weak minded.
I don't want to paint this situation with a broad brush, but how many Iowa players (White) were talked to in a similar manner and never gave it a 2nd thought?
Some of these kids should be forced to watch the first 5 minutes of Full Metal Jacket to know what tough treatment is all about.

Here's the story from HawkCentral:

In scathing public statement, former Hawkeyes standout Akrum Wadley says he regrets playing football at Iowa

Mark Emmert, Hawk Central
Published 1:19 p.m. CT June 29, 2020 | Updated 2:01 p.m. CT June 29, 2020

Akrum Wadley released a statement Monday alleging mistreatment so bothersome from his Iowa football coaches that he now regrets ever playing for the Hawkeyes.

"What you see on TV isn't what you get behind closed doors," the statement from the recent Hawkeye standout concluded.

Wadley compiled 3,633 rushing and receiving yards with 35 touchdowns as a Hawkeye running back from 2014-17. Yet he said playing on Saturdays was his only relief after enduring mental and physical anguish during the week at the hands of his coaches.

Wadley's statement, posted on the Facebook page of Pre-PostGame CEO Robert T. Green, mentioned head coach Kirk Ferentz, offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz, director of player development Broderick Binns and former strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle.

Green's Massachusetts-based company is "designed to empower athletes on the business of sports." He has been representing some former Hawkeyes as they speak out about their experiences in Kirk Ferentz's program.

About 50 former Iowa players, most of them Black, have gone public this month with claims of racial bias within the program. Doyle was singled out by many and has since been removed from the coaching staff under an agreement in which he admitted no guilt and will be paid $1.1 million. The university has hired a law firm to conduct a review of the football program.

Kirk Ferentz has held two news conferences on the topic in which he promised to listen to former players and take steps to make the team he has coached for 21 years more inclusive. The law firm's findings should be available to Iowa officials soon, if athletic director Gary Barta's timeline from two weeks ago was accurate.

Wadley on Monday reiterated his claims that Brian Ferentz, Kirk's son, on several occasions jokingly asked him if he was on his way to commit a robbery when Wadley was leaving the football practice field while wearing a team-issued wool hat that covered his face in cold weather. He wrote of another time when Brian Ferentz cursed at him and threatened him for parking in an unmarked spot at the football facility before heading to take an exam.

"I was angry, frustrated and numb all at the same time," Wadley wrote.

Wadley said Kirk Ferentz would prepare notes instructing him what to say to the media in interviews. One topic that consistently came up was Wadley's weight, with Ferentz and other coaches bringing up the need for Wadley to check in at 190 pounds or more, which was a challenge for the 5-foot-10 native of New Jersey.

Wadley said trying to consume pounds of energy drinks before working out left him vomiting and achy, at first once a week and eventually daily.

He said he received news of various punishments from Binns, but that he was given no explanation for the reasons.

The Facebook post Monday included a screen shot of a text-message chain reportedly between Wadley and Binns in which Binns informs the player that he must perform 20 hours of community service, as ordered by Brian Ferentz. "I don't know what you did," the texter that is allegedly Binns says at one point.

Binns, a Black former Iowa player, has been named interim director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the athletic department and is a key figure in the school's response to claims of racial insensitivity within the football program.

Wadley said he thought about leaving the team often and that he turned to alcohol as a coping mechanism.

"I felt like playing for Iowa football was a living nightmare," Wadley said.

"I am done giving them power over me. But if I could do it all over again, I wish I never played for the Iowa Hawkeyes. I would not encourage any future athletes or parents to send your kid to go play for the Iowa Hawkeyes under that current coaching staff."

Wadley is an unsigned NFL free agent after a brief stint with the Tennessee Titans in 2018.

........................................................................................

Mark Emmert covers the Iowa Hawkeyes for the Register. Reach him at memmert@registermedia.com or 319-339-7367. Follow him on Twitter at @MarkEmmert.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2020/06/29/akrum-wadley-racism-allegations-kirk-ferentz-brian-ferentz-chris-doyle-iowa-football/3278786001/
Christ, someone please ask him and mommy why they were trying to get his brother a ride to Iowa just a few weeks ago.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT