ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner

I think it means he wants to explore other options. (Yes, that's intended to be Captain Obvious)

Regardless, unless anyone is actually privy to the conversations between Wagner and Iowa coaches, everyone is just spitballing.

My guess?

Iowa isn't guaranteeing him squat and the receivers in the two-deep aren't mediocre enough for him to just show up and get PT. Just because he had talent in high school doesn't mean he can just waltz in and learn the playbook/system in a week and be in better standing than the kids who have a year or more in the program under their belt.

In other words, my guess is Wagner realizes he isn't just going to be handed playing time and just automatically inserted into the two-deep. That's not meant as a knock on Wagner, it just means I think he understands Iowa might not be his best option in terms of immediate playing time and opportunity. It seems, if I understand their reputation correctly, Iowa coaches are pretty honest with kids, which serves everyone's best interests in the end, and they very well could have told Wagner one) they don't see immediate playing time available for him or two) he'll get his shot but nothing is guaranteed.

Again, I'm just spitballing.

I think it means he wants to explore other options. (Yes, that's intended to be Captain Obvious)

Regardless, unless anyone is actually privy to the conversations between Wagner and Iowa coaches, everyone is just spitballing.

My guess?

Iowa isn't guaranteeing him squat and the receivers in the two-deep aren't mediocre enough for him to just show up and get PT. Just because he had talent in high school doesn't mean he can just waltz in and learn the playbook/system in a week and be in better standing than the kids who have a year or more in the program under their belt.

In other words, my guess is Wagner realizes he isn't just going to be handed playing time and just automatically inserted into the two-deep. That's not meant as a knock on Wagner, it just means I think he understands Iowa might not be his best option in terms of immediate playing time and opportunity. It seems, if I understand their reputation correctly, Iowa coaches are pretty honest with kids, which serves everyone's best interests in the end, and they very well could have told Wagner one) they don't see immediate playing time available for him or two) he'll get his shot but nothing is guaranteed.

Again, I'm just spitballing.

Kentucky recruited him in high school, there remains to be mutual interest and per the article the OP suggested was behind a paywall which is inaccurate, there is a connection on the staff. Plus, Kentucky is closer to home than Iowa. Wagner would be foolish to not explore all his options so commend him for doing just that.

AW seems like a good kid, wish him the best whether that is at Iowa or elsewhere.

I think Wagner ends up at Iowa. He'll have two years here, but one year at any other P5 school.

Iowa is his best option. If I were advising him, I would have told him to dedicate himself to Iowa football starting with 2018 Spring football. He missed one more development cycle by skipping Spring ball here.

Kentucky recruited him in high school, there remains to be mutual interest and per the article the OP suggested was behind a paywall which is inaccurate, there is a connection on the staff. Plus, Kentucky is closer to home than Iowa. Wagner would be foolish to not explore all his options so commend him for doing just that.

AW seems like a good kid, wish him the best whether that is at Iowa or elsewhere.

I never paid attention to his football recruiting out of high school. I knew he was a prospect and there was always Internet chatter of him giving both sports a go, but it seemed pretty clear Wagner was only expressing interest in basketball at that time so I never took the football noise seriously.

But, yeah, if Wagner developed a rapport with the UK staff it makes sense for him to explore that. I wish him well regardless of where he ends up.

I think Wagner ends up at Iowa. He'll have two years here, but one year at any other P5 school.

Iowa is his best option. If I were advising him, I would have told him to dedicate himself to Iowa football starting with 2018 Spring football. He missed one more development cycle by skipping Spring ball here.

That's a good point about eligibility. Who knows, though, what Wagner is thinking.

Regardless, I think it's good Wagner considers all options, so if he does in the end choose Iowa he can hopefully be comfortable with his decision knowing Iowa was the best choice not just the convenient one.

As a native Ohioan, Wagner may want to play closer to home. Just don't think Kentucky offers as much as Iowa can. But that's Ahmad's call.

Personally, I'm betting Wagner stays at Iowa because he will have two years of PT, even if the first year will be minimal as he must learn the KF way to see the field but I'm betting AW is a unique enough prospect that BF will want to put into a couple situations every game next year and build from there. Scott Chandler had a limited role his freshman year at Iowa but he did contribute. BF loves having mismatches.

Personally, I'm betting Wagner stays at Iowa because he will have two years of PT, .

I think the ability to play two years at Iowa versus one at another school is overvalued by Iowa fans. I suspect Ahmad is being realistic about this transition, and he probably recognizes he isn't going to get much if any PT next year wherever he ends up. Next year is basically going to be a redshirt year whether he is at Iowa, Kentucky, Akron, etc. He has played one year of football in the last 8 years...I would be surprised if he is able to just put on a helmet and pads and play a significant role next year at any school. He has two years to put himself in a position to be coveted by an NFL team, there is no reason to rush this transition.

I'm not sure staying at Iowa due to the ability to play two years is as much of a factor as Iowa fans are making it out to be or want it to be. just my .02

I believe that Iowa is currently over the 85 scholarship limit. Not sure about the 'ethics/ rules' governing the situation, but it would seem like the coaches might not be able to give him a firm offer at this point. It's smart for Wagner to explore his options. I do agree that not sitting out a year seems like the best idea.

I believe that Iowa is currently over the 85 scholarship limit. Not sure about the 'ethics/ rules' governing the situation, but it would seem like the coaches might not be able to give him a firm offer at this point. It's smart for Wagner to explore his options. I do agree that not sitting out a year seems like the best idea.

Iowa is currently at 87 but that will reduce over summer as usual

I don’t think Iowa has promised him a scholarship, especially since he didn’t practice this Spring. Don’t know if he would have been allowed to do so if he wanted

If he goes elsewhere he will probably get scholarship for two years and as someone already stated he isn’t likely to play much for Iowa this Fall

Will be interesting to watch. Would love to see him stay and play but don’t think he will

I think the ability to play two years at Iowa versus one at another school is overvalued by Iowa fans. I suspect Ahmad is being realistic about this transition, and he probably recognizes he isn't going to get much if any PT next year wherever he ends up. Next year is basically going to be a redshirt year whether he is at Iowa, Kentucky, Akron, etc. He has played one year of football in the last 8 years...I would be surprised if he is able to just put on a helmet and pads and play a significant role next year at any school. He has two years to put himself in a position to be coveted by an NFL team, there is no reason to rush this transition.

I'm not sure staying at Iowa due to the ability to play two years is as much of a factor as Iowa fans are making it out to be or want it to be. just my .02

Hope he finds what he is looking for, whether at Iowa or elsewhere. I do disagree on whether he would be able to play right away anywhere. His high school film was that of an elite 4 or 5-star receiver, a 6-6 guy who can run that fast and jump that high can get on the field right away. Ohio State would have offered him as a WR if he gave any interest in playing football over basketball coming out of high school.

At a minimum, he could help Iowa immediately on special teams and in a few packages. ISM got on the field as a freshman and he didn't come from a powerhouse program in New Jersey. Wagner dominated in the largest high school class in Ohio. Yes, he hasn't played football in 3 years, but he's been training/competing as a Division I athlete. He knows how to train, how to manage his time and how to compete. All of the "teamwork" things that KF values highly (and rightly so). I just think that Wagner is so far superior athletically to what Iowa has traditionally had at WR that he would not take the normal development time to get on the field. But that's just my opinion.

I have never thought that staying at Iowa was Ahmad's best option.

There are a lot of FCS schools available. Some not all that far from his home.
His odds of making the NFL are pretty slim in any event. But it would seem his small chance would be improved at least somewhat to get 2 years on the field. That wasn't going to happen at Iowa.

If I were advising him it would be to find that FCS school that throws frequently, has a decent QB, and is willing to take a chance on a physical specimen at receiver even though he hasn't played in several years.

Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

Hope he finds what he is looking for, whether at Iowa or elsewhere. I do disagree on whether he would be able to play right away anywhere. His high school film was that of an elite 4 or 5-star receiver, a 6-6 guy who can run that fast and jump that high can get on the field right away. Ohio State would have offered him as a WR if he gave any interest in playing football over basketball coming out of high school.

At a minimum, he could help Iowa immediately on special teams and in a few packages. ISM got on the field as a freshman and he didn't come from a powerhouse program in New Jersey. Wagner dominated in the largest high school class in Ohio. Yes, he hasn't played football in 3 years, but he's been training/competing as a Division I athlete. He knows how to train, how to manage his time and how to compete. All of the "teamwork" things that KF values highly (and rightly so). I just think that Wagner is so far superior athletically to what Iowa has traditionally had at WR that he would not take the normal development time to get on the field. But that's just my opinion.

Wagner hasn't played football in four years. He played one year in high school. Kentucky offered him, back then.

If I remember correctly from a previous thread from the time he joined the Iowa basketball team to the time he left he didn't catch a single football.

If he wants to walk on that's fine, glad to have him. But there are only 85 scholarships available. Big and tall is about men's wear. It doesn't qualify you for a football scholarship..

Hope he picks the Hawks...but if he doesn't, I hear there's a pretty fair country quarterback wearing #12 at Eastern Michigan this fall looking for a new #1...

I hope so but he needs to pull the trigger pretty quick if he has a shot at making Iowa’s 2 deeps.. the more time he explores (which I don’t blame him) but the reality is he’s got one year if he goes to a power 5 and 2 years at Iowa? You would think it’s a no brainer but little do I know in this .. I just hope he remains to be a Hawkeye is all

He didn’t skip spring ball here. He had no invite to participate in spring ball.

Lexington is a good town.

If the scholarship situation works out I hope he stays. But I wish him all the best no matter where he goes.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Hope he picks the Hawks...but if he doesn't, I hear there's a pretty fair country quarterback wearing #12 at Eastern Michigan this fall looking for a new #1...
Wagner would have to sit out this fall, so they wouldn't play together.

He didn’t skip spring ball here. He had no invite to participate in spring ball.

Iowa coaches were interested in him. If he "committed" to Iowa football, I bet they would have brought him into Spring ball. Maybe not full go like the other guys, but at least beginning his development as a D1 football player.

Wagner would have to sit out this fall, so they wouldn't play together.
I don't get why he would have to sit out anywhere. He's never played college FB so he's not a football player transferring to another school.

I don't get why he would have to sit out anywhere. He's never played college FB so he's not a football player transferring to another school.
He technically would’ve already redshirted in football at Iowa even though he never participated. This means he will be a redshirt junior this fall and is the reason he would have two years of eligibility remaining at Iowa. If he transfers he has to sit out 1 year and would then be a redshirt senior.

He is talented but not so much that he can just walk in and start here...especially with a coaching staff that rewards upperclassman and knowing the system. I still think he ends up here because he will have more time here to play but he might have to know that this year he might not see the field as much as he would like.

Think he could be a really good WR/TE combo and an obvious mismatch in the redzone.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
As a native Ohioan, Wagner may want to play closer to home. Just don't think Kentucky offers as much as Iowa can. But that's Ahmad's call.

Personally, I'm betting Wagner stays at Iowa because he will have two years of PT, even if the first year will be minimal as he must learn the KF way to see the field but I'm betting AW is a unique enough prospect that BF will want to put into a couple situations every game next year and build from there. Scott Chandler had a limited role his freshman year at Iowa but he did contribute. BF loves having mismatches.
If he's going to stay at Iowa he's getting some bad advice...like skipping spring ball. To me that's the telling point, that he's serious about going elsewhere. And I can't believe Iowa is still recruiting him after he dodged the spring.

That doesn't really matter though unless he would be playing this year at Iowa, which I don't think he would.

If he's going to stay at Iowa he's getting some bad advice...like skipping spring ball. To me that's the telling point, that he's serious about going elsewhere. And I can't believe Iowa is still recruiting him after he dodged the spring.

I think he was told by staff that he would not be participating in spring ball anyway.. plus he’s not committed to Iowa so i think spring ball is for team members only.. if he wants to participate with the Hawks he needs to be on the team and that was probably communicated to him way before spring ball..

The guy just got done with a Big Ten Basketball season........that started in like October. After a Summer trip playing as well. I am not sure if after that, it would be wise to just splash some water on your face and strap it up for Spring Football.

I am sure after your last year playing football in pop warner.....you rolled right into YMCA basketball practice the next night, but he is dealing with a much different animal here. I, like everyone else here, have no idea what went on or will go on, but I think its funny how people are assuming he would physically be ready to just jump into Spring football.

In high school, kids play their last football game on a Friday and show up for basketball the next Monday. And basketball ends on a Saturday, and kids show up for baseball the next Monday. Or at least that's how it often worked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT