ADVERTISEMENT

Waiting for Costco/Sam’s gas - what’s the deal?

Feb 9, 2013
Amazes me to pass by Sam’s or Costco and see every lane stacked 6-7 cars deep. What gives? Are people that cheap that a few bucks is worth 20 minutes of your time in line?

Reminds me of the lines around the block when a new Chick Fil A opens and people will wait for hours for a free sandwich.

Talk about sheep…

Amazes me to pass by Sam’s or Costco and see every lane stacked 6-7 cars deep. What gives? Are people that cheap that a few bucks is worth 20 minutes of your time in line?

Reminds me of the lines around the block when a new Chick Fil A opens and people will wait for hours for a free sandwich.

Talk about sheep…
Same here. Though my car only holds 15 gallons, not really worth it to get in line and wait so I can save $1 or so max.

Talk about sheep…
Hy Vee had it for $3.99/gallon for a few hours yesterday. Lines were blocks long. I'm guessing an hour in line to save $10. No thanks.

THE_LITTLE_DEVIL is in college so he uses Costco. About one a week I get a rage call about his latest trip to buy gas. He gets most upset at the people who pull up on the wrong side and stretch the hose over their car. I him amusing sometimes. /csb
That's why Costco Gas has extra long hoses. It doesn't matter which side of the pump you pull in on. Speeds up the process.

I’ll fuel up at Costco if there are no more than a couple cars in front of me waiting for the pump and I’m driving by or leaving Costco. My tank capacity is 38 gallons so if I’m close to empty, and a cost savings of $0.25/gallon in my market, it’s dumb not to.

It’s why a fat tax would work so well in America.

payroll taxes go up 1%. Each year you can get examined and if you are not at a healthy BMI you get your 1% back and a equal share of those that didn’t pass.

people at my work damn near go malnutrition to win biggest loser contests.

Reactions: VodkaSam
THE_LITTLE_DEVIL is in college so he uses Costco. About one a week I get a rage call about his latest trip to buy gas. He gets most upset at the people who pull up on the wrong side and stretch the hose over their car. I him amusing sometimes. /csb
Tell your son Costco has longer fuel pump hoses than gas stations to allow for this. I go for the shortest line, regardless of side. Pull the hose right over the bed of my truck and go to town. Efficiency.

I can’t figure out why a driver pulls into a line 10 cars deep, when they could jump into a much shorter line and pump fuel just as fast, regardless of what side their fuel cover is on.

Reactions: HawkMD
That's why Costco Gas has extra long hoses. It doesn't matter which side of the pump you pull in on. Speeds up the process.

Tell your son Costco has longer fuel pump hoses than gas stations to allow for this. I go for the shortest line, regardless of side. Pull the hose right over the bed of my truck and go to town. Efficiency.

I can’t figure out why a driver pulls into a line 10 cars deep, when they could jump into a much shorter line and pump fuel just as fast, regardless of what side their fuel cover is on.
He is aware. It bugs him that those people are doing it wrong in his eyes.

My grocery store fuel savings saves me a lot more money than buying Costco gas.

It's rarely logical or frugal to make a special trip to Costco for the gas savings. But if I'm there anyway and my tank is under half full, I'll fill it up. The lines move fairly quickly unless you get some old codger who can't get a move on or figure out how the whole process works. I've never been more than 2 cars back though, if it were 5 or more, I'm not bothering with it. Our Costco is only 11 cents cheaper than most other stations in town after all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT