ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest cancels Christmas parade over fears of protests against confederacy float...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
A town has canceled its annual Christmas parade over fears that protesters and supporters of its inclusion of Confederate groups would clash. After more than 70 years, the town of Wake Forest, North Carolina will not have a parade at all this holiday season.

The Confederacy float has been a "peaceful" part of the Wake Forest Christmas parade for decades, the town said. Now, planned protests surrounding its participation have led to safety concerns by officials.

"The Wake Forest Downtown Board of Directors voted to cancel this year's Christmas parade due to the threat of violence by groups outside our community," Mayor Vivian Jones said in a tearful Facebook video Wednesday night. She said she was "angry, disappointed and heartbroken," but ultimately supportive, over the decision.

The Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy had planned to participate in the parade as usual. Town leaders said they received information that large groups of people — including both protesters and supporters of the confederacy — planned protests during this year's event.

"Sadly, times have changed and this year is different," Jones said. "Based on information we have received in recent days, this year's event has the potential to be one marked not by marching bands and Santa Claus, but instead by protests between clashing groups outside Wake Forest, with innocent bystanders caught in the middle."

Wake Forest Police Chief Jeff Leonard said in a statement that a group that had planned to show up had grown in numbers from less than 10 to more than 200, sparking concerns that they may "show up, wreak havoc then leave."

"We aren't happy telling kids they can't attend or participate in this year's parade – but it's better than trying to explain to a parent whose child was injured why we chose to proceed despite so many warning signs," he said. "No matter what side of this issue you are on, our focus is public safety and at this point, the risk of moving forward with the parade simply outweighs any possible reward."

The nearby Town of Garner canceled its parade last week over concerns that the participation by the Sons of Confederate Veterans could spark protests. Following its announcement, Wake Forest town leaders initially said its parade would go on.

"Make no mistake about it – the Town of Wake Forest is extremely sensitive to the emotion the Confederate flag stirs among those on both sides of this issue," the town wrote on Facebook last week. "We recognize that for some the flag represents racism, hatred and bigotry, while others see it as a representation of Southern heritage protected as a matter of freedom of speech/freedom of expression."

On Thursday, town residents protested the cancellation, CBS News affiliate WNCN reports.

"It's just not right, it's not right," Robert Cooper told WNCN. "I've lived here all my life and we grew up with it and we never had a problem before. The kids love it and the town benefits from the parade, all the merchants, you know."

Town spokesperson Bill Crabtree told WNCN the town tried to continue the parade despite the threats, but ultimately failed to put a plan in place in time to guarantee everyone's safety.

"Obviously, this has not been a popular decision," he said. "We believe it was certainly not popular, but the right decision, it was the safe decision."

Protesters of Confederate participation took to Twitter to demand their removal from the parade, rather than the event's cancellation. But town leaders said they were "unable to exclude groups some may find objectionable."

Locals expressed concern that the protests would be an ongoing issue in the future. Mayor Jones said the town will begin planning in January for a 2020 Christmas parade.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wake-f...s-over-threats-to-protest-confederate-groups/

I don't think the daughters of the confederacy advocate armed rebellion against the government. These are just female descendants of the people that fought in the war. Its ridiculous.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Pretty simple: Get rid of the float extolling the "virtues" of those who committed treason and keep the parade.

Can you imagine a parade in downtown London with a float commemorating the achievements of George Washington and Paul Revere to the British Empire?

Honestly, folks, this shit really isn't that hard.

But, yes, Trad, we get it. Unhinged liberals ruin everything.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans appear in every parade in the smallish N.C. town where I live. I'm sure I will see them at our Christmas Parade this evening. The SCV even joined the Chamber of Commerce last year! The president is a whack job who dresses like a Confederate soldier all the time and writes nutty letters to the editor rehashing the Civil War--which apparently is still being fought in his head.

CSB

Can you imagine a parade in downtown London with a float commemorating the achievements of George Washington and Paul Revere to the British Empire?

This statue is in Trafalgar Square in the heart of London:

Statute-of-American-President-In-London_George-Washington.jpg

Reactions: seminole97
May feel like innocent nostalgia today but it obviously wasn’t originally.

good lord, I guess the union should have outlawed all confederate symbols of war. Some people are too stupid and need common sense legislated.

This statue is in Trafalgar Square in the heart of London:

Statute-of-American-President-In-London_George-Washington.jpg

Cool.

So that was a gift, huh?

Honestly, I like history and don't have a problem with statues and other representations of history. And personally, I don't give a good goddamn if Virginia has statues of Robert E. Lee or not. With that said, purpose and intent matter. If, for example, a statue is erected and displayed for historical purposes, I get it. But if a statue went up in the 1960s ostensibly to give the middle finger to the Civil Rights movement, then it can be shattered to pieces for all I care.

I don't think the daughters of the confederacy advocate armed rebellion against the government. These are just female descendants of the people that fought in the war. Its ridiculous.

So their ancestors were a bunch of traitorous losers, how quaint. If that's the proudest mark of their familial history, that's just pathetic.

Pardon all of us that no one gives a shit, especially kids watching a parade.

Reactions: artradley
Cool.

So that was a gift, huh?

Honestly, I like history and don't have a problem with statues and other representations of history. And personally, I don't give a good goddamn if Virginia has statues of Robert E. Lee or not. With that said, purpose and intent matter. If, for example, a statue is erected and displayed for historical purposes, I get it. But if a statue went up in the 1960s ostensibly to give the middle finger to the Civil Rights movement, then it can be shattered to pieces for all I care.
Or ceremonially defaced. The float and the parade shouldn't be removed or canceled. As the float rolls by let it be an object of ridicule.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
a lot of brain washed morons posting nonsense. Everybody whose ancestor that was conscripted in a civil war 160 years ago is a blood thirsty rac-iss demon huh ? lets tear down some more statues comrade-tards.

Seems like a pretty easy call would be to not allow any floats that support organizations who celebrate open and armed rebellion against the US government.

I don’t follow these things closely, but I thought courts frowned on civic organized parades excluding groups. Free speech grounds or whatever.
I’m thinking I read of instances where gay pride groups sued to be included and the courts agreed.

It’s unfortunate things are at the point we can’t expect a protest to be peaceful.

Reactions: royhobbs2
I don’t follow these things closely, but I thought courts frowned on civic organized parades excluding groups. Free speech grounds or whatever.
I’m thinking I read of instances where gay pride groups sued to be included and the courts agreed.

It’s unfortunate things are at the point we can’t expect a protest to be peaceful.

I believe they can exclude the KKK and NAMBLA. So armed revolt is probably not protected speech.

I believe they can exclude the KKK and NAMBLA. So armed revolt is probably not protected speech.

I’m hoping someone who knows more will pitch in, but here’s what I find:

“In Brandenburg, the Court overturned the Whitney decision, and it established the imminent lawless action test still used today. “Freedoms of speech and press do not permit a State to forbid advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action,” the Justices said.”

A town has canceled its annual Christmas parade over fears that protesters and supporters of its inclusion of Confederate groups would clash. After more than 70 years, the town of Wake Forest, North Carolina will not have a parade at all this holiday season.

The Confederacy float has been a "peaceful" part of the Wake Forest Christmas parade for decades, the town said. Now, planned protests surrounding its participation have led to safety concerns by officials.

"The Wake Forest Downtown Board of Directors voted to cancel this year's Christmas parade due to the threat of violence by groups outside our community," Mayor Vivian Jones said in a tearful Facebook video Wednesday night. She said she was "angry, disappointed and heartbroken," but ultimately supportive, over the decision.

The Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy had planned to participate in the parade as usual. Town leaders said they received information that large groups of people — including both protesters and supporters of the confederacy — planned protests during this year's event.

"Sadly, times have changed and this year is different," Jones said. "Based on information we have received in recent days, this year's event has the potential to be one marked not by marching bands and Santa Claus, but instead by protests between clashing groups outside Wake Forest, with innocent bystanders caught in the middle."

Wake Forest Police Chief Jeff Leonard said in a statement that a group that had planned to show up had grown in numbers from less than 10 to more than 200, sparking concerns that they may "show up, wreak havoc then leave."

"We aren't happy telling kids they can't attend or participate in this year's parade – but it's better than trying to explain to a parent whose child was injured why we chose to proceed despite so many warning signs," he said. "No matter what side of this issue you are on, our focus is public safety and at this point, the risk of moving forward with the parade simply outweighs any possible reward."

The nearby Town of Garner canceled its parade last week over concerns that the participation by the Sons of Confederate Veterans could spark protests. Following its announcement, Wake Forest town leaders initially said its parade would go on.

"Make no mistake about it – the Town of Wake Forest is extremely sensitive to the emotion the Confederate flag stirs among those on both sides of this issue," the town wrote on Facebook last week. "We recognize that for some the flag represents racism, hatred and bigotry, while others see it as a representation of Southern heritage protected as a matter of freedom of speech/freedom of expression."

On Thursday, town residents protested the cancellation, CBS News affiliate WNCN reports.

"It's just not right, it's not right," Robert Cooper told WNCN. "I've lived here all my life and we grew up with it and we never had a problem before. The kids love it and the town benefits from the parade, all the merchants, you know."

Town spokesperson Bill Crabtree told WNCN the town tried to continue the parade despite the threats, but ultimately failed to put a plan in place in time to guarantee everyone's safety.

"Obviously, this has not been a popular decision," he said. "We believe it was certainly not popular, but the right decision, it was the safe decision."

Protesters of Confederate participation took to Twitter to demand their removal from the parade, rather than the event's cancellation. But town leaders said they were "unable to exclude groups some may find objectionable."

Locals expressed concern that the protests would be an ongoing issue in the future. Mayor Jones said the town will begin planning in January for a 2020 Christmas parade.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wake-f...s-over-threats-to-protest-confederate-groups/
Are you triggered?

Reactions: artradley
Good. Burn the town down, too, like Grant should have in 1865. Traitors can rot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT