ADVERTISEMENT

Walton

Ronman

HR Legend
Jan 4, 2004
Planet Iowa
I was watching the Colorado/USC game and Walton was asked by his broadcast partner, "Have you seen Luka Garza?" Walton responds, "No, but i saw him in some highlights where he was outscoring the other team." I thought this was rather disappointing as I thought that being a legendary big man, he might have some interest in watching the best big man currently in college basketball. He then went on to drool about Evan Mobley, the center for USC, who admittedly is a very good player. I realize that he is a PAC-12 flack, but I just assumed he was a college basketball fan as well. Guess not.

I was watching the Colorado/USC game and Walton was asked by his broadcast partner, "Have you seen Luka Garza?" Walton responds, "No, but i saw him in some highlights where he was outscoring the other team." I thought this was rather disappointing as I thought that being a legendary big man, he might have some interest in watching the best big man currently in college basketball. He then went on to drool about Evan Mobley, the center for USC, who admittedly is a very good player. I realize that he is a PAC-12 flack, but I just assumed he was a college basketball fan as well. Guess not.
When I am about to watch a basket ball game and see that Walton is one of the announcers I switch channels. He is an idiot.

my lord, he was counting "8, 7, 6..." on several different occasions at the beginning of the broadcast and the lead announcer was like "are you counting down the shot clock?" and Walton said, "no, I am counting down to the New Year."

I had to turn it off.

You would think he'd be a little more informed about last season's Kareem Abdul Jabars top center award winner.... :rolleyes:

my lord, he was counting "8, 7, 6..." on several different occasions at the beginning of the broadcast and the lead announcer was like "are you counting down the shot clock?" and Walton said, "no, I am counting down to the New Year."

I had to turn it off.
Yeah, old Bill "is out there".

Walton's "train of thought" broadcast style can be hard to take. I thought it amusing that he was clearly rooting for USC to win that game and Colorado beat them at home with Mobley getting 12 and 5.

I had to turn it off.

He did that two or three times before the first TV timeout. Did he continue further? He loves the Pac-12 but takes it up a notch for those LA schools. I've made my feelings known about Walton. I won't continue to beat a dead horse... but it would be great if he never broadcasts an Iowa game.

Reactions: Franisdaman
He did that two or three times before the first TV timeout. Did he continue further? He loves the Pac-12 but takes it up a notch for those LA schools. I've made my feelings known about Walton. I won't continue to beat a dead horse... but it would be great if he never broadcasts an Iowa game.
after the 1st couple time of counting down and then hearing him say "the conference of champions," I turned it off.

if he were not a hall of famer, there is no way that guy would be an "analyst."

Not surprised. Walton is the worst.

It sounded to me like Walton's broadcast parter kept calling him "Luke Garza". So, either I'm old and deaf or that dude is a twit. Or it could be both, I suppose.

Players with God given special talent like Walton are the worst at trying to explain or teach the game.
They didn’t have to think when they played because everything came naturally to them.
Yogi Berra said it best “ you can’t think and hit at the same time”
Walton only sees results and the obvious.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
Unfortunately, you have to have the Big Ten network to see most of the Iowa games. I doubt any of the cable companies in California carry it.

Reactions: 24 so far

I had to turn it off.

That's actually hilarious.

Players with God given special talent like Walton are the worst at trying to explain or teach the game.
They didn’t have to think when they played because everything came naturally to them.
Yogi Berra said it best “ you can’t think and hit at the same time”
Walton only sees results and the obvious.
Walton is living life and happy but his commentary is also along that path so why they waste the time to have him calling any game is a real question.
From a drunk, stoned, drugged up buddy perspective he is funny to listen to but he doesn't even try to tie it to BB anymore.
Its time for him to make some Bill Cosby type comedic recordings from his "insights"

Walton is living life and happy but his commentary is also along that path so why they waste the time to have him calling any game is a real question.
From a drunk, stoned, drugged up buddy perspective he is funny to listen to but he doesn't even try to tie it to BB anymore.
Its time for him to make some Bill Cosby type comedic recordings from his "insights"
I think he saw The Dead over a thousand times so he’s definitely coming from that perspective.
People who played a sport at a high level find him funny.

I think he saw The Dead over a thousand times so he’s definitely coming from that perspective.
People who played a sport at a high level find him funny.
Funny is fine if you want to sit and talk to the guy. Unfortunately he brings nothing of value, other then a rare insight, to games on TV, as he spends most of his airtime on things that have NOTHING to do with the game he's getting paid to call. He's intolerable to listen to over the course of the game.....

Reactions: Sheahawk
Walton has had 37 surgeries. Think about that. Yes, he has incredible fundamentals if you ever watched him play. He also continued to play when he should not have played because he loved the game. He was on his way to becoming possibly the greatest Center of all time before the injuries. You don’t like his comments, fine, but he was one helluva a player.

Yeah it's gotten to the point where Walton doesn't announce enough of the game.

But if you actually listen to what he is saying, the man is absolutely hilarious and clearly a genius.

My brother said he saw Walton backstage at a Dead concert, scooting around on his crickety knees, smoking the largest joint he'd ever seen all by himself

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

I had to turn it off.

That was so odd.
His partner you could tell was thinking 'wtf'.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Bill Walton is a national treasure and I'd love to see BTN find a way to get him (though they wouldn't be able to, nor would they).

Meh, I watched that game last night. I wasn't impressed by any of their bigs (or Colorado). Both teams have some good street ball guards, but that's about all I took away from that game.

I thought it was hilarious that Walton kept talking about his "conference of champions" when the USC game looked like a high school contest compared to the Michigan/Maryland game they followed. Michigan looks like they should be rated much higher than they are. They have a hell of a team and are very well coached.

Reactions: Fair Child
ADVERTISEMENT