ADVERTISEMENT

WAR Thread

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Five of the 6 top stories on the BBC page are about war in Ukraine. The other was about sports, but was related because it was about the Russian Gran Prix.

Good map.

_123404005_ukraine_russian_strikes_map_v2_24feb_640_v3-nc.png

• Sad
Reactions: HawkFan1298
It appears that Russian puppet Lukashenko has completed Belarus' transition back to the Russian sphere without a single shot fired.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Talking head on DW (German news) says there is concern that Putin may not stop with Ukraine.

That's the news I've had on this morning, on the theory that it would be relatively free of either Russian or US bias, and is from folks who are a lot closer to the action.

It's free on Roku, Fire TV and probably on line.

Alternatives I plan to check shortly are France24 (for similar reasons) and RT (to get the Russian line).

Maybe Al Jazeera a little later on for the view from folks with no obvious dog in this hunt.

Among new sanctions being discussed are embargoes on high tech products to Russia.

And yet the NASDAQ is relatively unfazed, compared with other markets. I wonder why?

Among new sanctions being discussed are embargoes on high tech products to Russia.

And yet the NASDAQ is relatively unfazed, compared with other markets. I wonder why?
Nasdaq is already beaten to hell. Russia isn't a huge buyer of tech in the grand scheme of things. China ruffling feathers would really shake things up.

I really really don't want to see world war 3. I really don't want to go through this shit at all. And I'm really freaking worried this comes to a nuclear exchange which could kill my family.

That said I almost feel like we have to start standing up to Russia now. They just keep attacking their neighbors and we just keep letting them.

How is this any different from Nevelle Chamberlain? History treats him badly because he appeased and talks about him like he was a coward. But the reality is that no one freaking wanted a war then.

We don't want a war now. So we're doing the same stuff he is.

Pains me to say it but I think it's time to gear up for war. Every free country in this world needs to unite now go into full on war mode and hit Russian military targets where ever they exist.

Seriously who here honestly believes Putin is going to stop with Ukraine?

Seriously who here honestly believes Putin is going to stop with Ukraine?
It's a reasonable concern. But who would he go after next?

Georgia maybe. Again. And, really, who cares?

But who else?

I'm sure he'd like to snatch the Baltic nations, but they are part of NATO, so I can't see that happening.

One interesting question is whether Finland or Sweden will suddenly want NATO membership. And if so, could they get accepted before Russia attacks them?

It's a reasonable concern. But who would he go after next?

Georgia maybe. Again. And, really, who cares?

But who else?

I'm sure he'd like to snatch the Baltic nations, but they are part of NATO, so I can't see that happening.

One interesting question is whether Finland or Sweden will suddenly want NATO membership. And if so, could they get accepted before Russia attacks them?

So we just let Russia invade and occupy any nation that isn't in NATO?

So we just let Russia invade and occupy any nation that isn't in NATO?
Looks that way.

I don't think Putin is willing to risk nuclear war by attacking NATO signatories. But by the same token, I don't think very many people want to risk nuclear war to defend nations that have chosen not to align themselves with us.

Truth is, Putin has just made a compelling argument for many nations to try to get in the club as fast as they can.

Freddie Freeman has average 4.25 WAR per season since 2014. But he's 32 and WAR averages tend to drop quickly at that age for first basemen (see Pujols, Albert). Do you guys think he is worth the 6 years / $200 million he is seeking? I just don't see his WAR staying above 4.0 / season for the next 6 years. At those ages, even 3.0 WAR / season is a big ask.

Reactions: IACub
Looks that way.

I don't think Putin is willing to risk nuclear war by attacking NATO signatories. But by the same token, I don't think very many people want to risk nuclear war to defend nations that have chosen not to align themselves with us.

Truth is, Putin has just made a compelling argument for many nations to try to get in the club as fast as they can.

Ukraine was trying to get into NATO which was one of the reasons Putin attacked.

They had chosen to ally with us. The reason they had not yet joined was on our end.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Ukraine was trying to get into NATO which was one of the reasons Putin attacked.

They had chosen to ally with us. The reason they had not yet joined was on our end.
Exactly. Putin sees that as a threat.

It's sort of like why we attacked Iraq but not N.Korea. Ukraine didn't have NATO and Iraq didn't have nukes.

Biden just said American gas and oil companies should not exploit this crisis to add to their profits.
please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...please don't do price controls...

Russian yacht owned by Putin KGB associate seized and searched in Norway. It was apparently dropping equipment to cut fiber optic lines. More info in the replies. Similar Russian yachts were recently chased out of waters above fiber optic lines near Ireland.

I have to think that this type of war is about the only scenario that a draft would be conducted in the US. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were extremely stressful on our military and its ability to maintain troop readiness. They got around this by calling up the reserves but even that was hard. For a war on this scale, from the article I read we wouldn't have enough troops to do it.

I have to think that this type of war is about the only scenario that a draft would be conducted in the US. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were extremely stressful on our military and its ability to maintain troop readiness. They got around this by calling up the reserves but even that was hard. For a war on this scale, from the article I read we wouldn't have enough troops to do it.
The Abrams Doctrine is widely interpreted as an expression of General Creighton Abrams’ determination to maintain a clear linkage between the employment of the Army and the engagement of public support for military operations. Abrams, according to the doctrine, established this bond by creating a force structure that integrated Reserve and Active Components so closely as to make them inextricable, ensuring after Vietnam that presidents would never be able to again send the Army to war without the Reserves and the commitment of the American people.

ADVERTISEMENT