ADVERTISEMENT

Warner vs Princeton?

Has there ever been confirmation why he’s not wrestling? A lot of people were really looking forward to his early season tests.

Has there ever been confirmation why he’s not wrestling? A lot of people were really looking forward to his early season tests.

Brands said he took a break after Worlds. Many on this board, me included, have complained about Iowa wrestlers looking exhausted in March. It sucks to see 3 starters sitting out, but I'm fine with it if the starters peak in March and its a cool opportunity for the backups.

Some of the depth at those weights looked pretty solid at Kent State ... you may be presently surprised; but I get what you are saying.

Disappointed. Pretty limited home schedule, be nice if, when a good match up is available, we do everything we can to make the most of it. I don't like the tan tom way of doing business and want to make sure this is not happening here.

That's my fan boy take. I realize that's not the case but I really want to see our best guys go every time out.

Yikes. I wonder what the crowd will look like after 165.
That’s why they’ll start the dual at 174.
tenor.gif

My opinion only ... he has a tough schedule early, and they want to make sure he doesn’t have a meltdown like he did at Midlands last year if he were to take a couple of losses. He’s not afraid of anybody, but the Brands know what is best for his psyche.

Reactions: GableEdge
How about he trained all summer hard for Worlds, They gave him some time off when he got back. This is a time when everyone else is getting ramped up for the season. They didn't want him to be thrown right back into the fire and are treating this time like it is his preseason. They didn't want him to get burnt out by March. St Cael had almost every one of his guys not even try for Freestyle spots this summer. The Brands valued his time training for and competing in Worlds more so than a few early season meets. Makes sense to me.

I thought the original post was asking if Warner was going to wrestle the whole Princeton team by himself. A task one would normally only assign to Ditka. I pick Warner over Princeton if they wrestled him all at once and Mini Warner if they wrestled him one at a time.
At this point in the season I worry about his gas tank if one by one. How much time does he get between matches? Is there a break in the middle?

Ok men just my opinion..Wrestling coaches never seem to let out what the injury really is..With Kemdawg why rush him let it heal more have Thanksgiving than Midlands after xmas let him go at midlands still lots of time and with our schedule he can get in ok shape.. Warner we don't now how he took the lost at worlds so maybe he needs this time also..I leave it to the coaches that is why they get the big bucks..If it doesn't work they get the heat right?...

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkFT
How about he trained all summer hard for Worlds, They gave him some time off when he got back. This is a time when everyone else is getting ramped up for the season. They didn't want him to be thrown right back into the fire and are treating this time like it is his preseason. They didn't want him to get burnt out by March. St Cael had almost every one of his guys not even try for Freestyle spots this summer. The Brands valued his time training for and competing in Worlds more so than a few early season meets. Makes sense to me.

Can you blame Carl? If this is the result?

First season in the Hawkeye line up and behind the curve when the rubber meets the road?

Like they sang on that old cop show, Baretta,

Don’t free style the crime
If you can’t folk style the time....

Or something like that.....

Honestly..... All things being equal,

I would have preferred to have the new guy in the line up training with the team from day one.

If he started the year with Kleimola Indiana and Wetter Wisconsin we would've seen him wrestle 100%.But since the schedule had Conel and Brucki on it to start the year he's "resting from world's".If Conel and Brucki were the last two duals before Big 10 he would be "resting for Big 10".This move is for no other reason then to keep Warner confident between his ears.And more then likely he misses Brunner next week since Brunner is at U23 now.

Makes no sense at all. Shut up. ;)

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
If he started the year with Kleimola Indiana and Wetter Wisconsin we would've seen him wrestle 100%.But since the schedule had Conel and Brucki on it to start the year he's "resting from world's".If Conel and Brucki were the last two duals before Big 10 he would be "resting for Big 10".This move is for no other reason then to keep Warner confident between his ears.And more then likely he misses Brunner next week since Brunner is at U23 now.

Meh...TNT have not had to worry about an athlete competing as late as September. Two factors that Warner had to catch up on...academics and rest. While other guys were going home for three weeks at a time, he was here training. He took a few weeks off in October...wasn’t in the room for the most part healing the body after training for what was equivalent to another season.

For the “psyche” or Brands has him ducking tough competition, they had him compete at the Yarygin right after Midlands last year. If anything is tough on the psyche, it’s going over to cold ass Russia and getting your ass kicked by some of those guys.

So what? You just come on message boards trying to make sense? Cram it down your cram hole LaFleur, I am trying to be miserable and complain about not seeing our studs, stop making sense and let me complain. It's all I got.

Meh...TNT have not had to worry about an athlete competing as late as September. Two factors that Warner had to catch up on...academics and rest. While other guys were going home for three weeks at a time, he was here training. He took a few weeks off in October...wasn’t in the room for the most part healing the body after training for what was equivalent to another season.

For the “psyche” or Brands has him ducking tough competition, they had him compete at the Yarygin right after Midlands last year. If anything is tough on the psyche, it’s going over to cold ass Russia and getting your ass kicked by some of those guys.

Exactly. It isn't about "psyche." He wouldn't have wrestled against those guys, either, since we have backups that can handle those guys. We could see him against Purdue but it might not be until ISU. Same for Stoll with his injury. Kem...might be longer.

It’s disappointing as a fan... the weak home schedule and now missing one of the better matchups.... but no doubt Brands knows whats best for his wrestlers....Brands seems to be taking a little different approach to this season....expecting big things.... lets wrestle!

You guys ( and gals) are pretty much spot on--- As a fan--I want the best duals,the best matches always. I'm disappointed like others that there are time we dont get to see them. My stance has changed a bit on this as I have been closer to the program.--

We have to trust our coaches that there is typically a reason--- why a guy is not competing--these reasons vary and sometimes it is combinations of reasons. They know a bunch that we dont know--

I dont want to trun this into a football thread-- But I see Ferentz getting a ton of bad press from respected sportswriters and from fans on Noah Fant lack of playing time, not being in on field in key situations and not enough targets. I can only assume that there is a reason or possibly a combination of reasons. The football staff wants to win games, they want to succeed-- so I doubt that its just a matter of they think someone else is a better option-- prob a reason.

You guys ( and gals) are pretty much spot on--- As a fan--I want the best duals,the best matches always. I'm disappointed like others that there are time we dont get to see them. My stance has changed a bit on this as I have been closer to the program.--

We have to trust our coaches that there is typically a reason--- why a guy is not competing--these reasons vary and sometimes it is combinations of reasons. They know a bunch that we dont know--

I dont want to trun this into a football thread-- But I see Ferentz getting a ton of bad press from respected sportswriters and from fans on Noah Fant lack of playing time, not being in on field in key situations and not enough targets. I can only assume that there is a reason or possibly a combination of reasons. The football staff wants to win games, they want to succeed-- so I doubt that its just a matter of they think someone else is a better option-- prob a reason.
But that’s just because Hock is better than Fant

(There’s supposed to be a wonky face in there)

Cripes! Winky!

ADVERTISEMENT