ADVERTISEMENT

Was a promise made?

87alum87

All-Conference
Aug 28, 2009
Dahinda, IL
Maybe the only logical reason that the Four-star, 6'5" inch Iowa prototypical QB continues to start is a iron clad recruiting promise. Maybe...after Nate leaves, you get every start, if 100% healthy.

He wasn't benched last year for performance alone. He was beat up.

I do believe KF is a man of his word. And, I am running out of explanations for why an otherwise pretty good coach hasn't made the obvious change. This is beyond stubbornness!

Maybe the only logical reason that the Four-star, 6'5" inch Iowa prototypical QB continues to start is a iron clad recruiting promise. Maybe...after Nate leaves, you get every start, if 100% healthy.

He wasn't benched last year for performance alone. He was beat up.

I do believe KF is a man of his word. And, I am running out of explanations for why an otherwise pretty good coach hasn't made the obvious change. This is beyond stubbornness!
KF is using SP as his middle finger to the fans, the people who made him a fortune.

We’ve still never gotten an answer to exactly what Petras does well that “gives us the best chance to win.”

- avoid turnovers? Nope
- avoid sacks? Nope
- big play ability? Nope
- get us in the best play at the line of scrimmage to avoid negative plays? Nope
- make the makeable plays consistently? Nope
- make the easy plays consistently? Nope
- make the players around him better? Nope
- inspire confidence? Nope
- throw a good deep ball? Nope
- make the clutch play? NOPE!!!
- throw it really far? I guess at Manning Camp yes.

We’ve still never gotten an answer to exactly what Petras does well that “gives us the best chance to win.”

- avoid turnovers? Nope
- avoid sacks? Nope
- big play ability? Nope
- get us in the best play at the line of scrimmage to avoid negative plays? Nope
Petras is bad, but to criticize KF(and I am very critical of him) for promising a starting role is ridiculous. He is probably the last HC in CFB that would do that.

- avoid turnovers? Nope
- avoid sacks? Nope
- big play ability? Nope
And to be clear, I do not believe KF promised anything. Agree, he’s prob the last coach in the country that would. But I would honestly accept that answer (it was promised) over the vague “he gives us the best chance” reason at this point. It’s just absurd.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk

- avoid turnovers? Nope
- avoid sacks? Nope
- big play ability? Nope

Recognizes a blitz? Nope

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
We've had a lot of recruits who were much more highly regarded than SP that didn't get any promise like that. We flipped Spencer from Oregon St. I can't imagine anything like this happening, but like you, I'm at a loss.
It’s not impossible to imagine Spencer being a serviceable QB had he stayed committed at Oregon St. Their head coach was a former QB himself and a solid one at that. That’s more than BF can say.

KF is using SP as his middle finger to the fans, the people who made him a fortune.
Constantly this stupid argument. A) he doesn't care enough about what you or I think to give it a second thought, so the "middle finger" argument is baseless. B). Like all these highly paid coaches his salary is a spit in the bucket from these huge TV contracts, and the pennies ( as a proportion) that you think you provide have NO impact on anyones salary, lifestyle, or anything else. Its the height of foolery for Joe fan to think that they've had anything to do with making him a millionare. I know we'd all like to think we play some role, or have some voice, but the fact is Iowa is a part of the BIG machine. They'll do fine financially, half empty stadium whatever.

We've had a lot of recruits who were much more highly regarded than SP that didn't get any promise like that. We flipped Spencer from Oregon St. I can't imagine anything like this happening, but like you, I'm at a loss.
The Beavers can be forever grateful to us then.... ;)

Each passing week is just more and more unbelievable that he still is taking 100% of the snaps...

Another poster said Padilla is gone at semester, so that is my best guess as to why is is not sniffing the field....

Every day, we continue to show we have the dumbest fans in the country. Congrats!
You obviously don’t visit other fans boards. Iowa fans are no where near the dumbest. Spend a couple minutes on Cyclone fanatic for one.

We flipped Spencer from Oregon State over Zach Wilson and Trey Lance..............

That's still a thing that happened.

Other QBs with undisclosed injuries?
I actually HOPE this is the answer. I don't know why these injuries would be undisclosed, except that maybe KF doesn't want the world to know that he has one QB physically able to play. With the number of injuries this team seems to get, I suppose it's possible....and maybe they need to examine their strength and conditioning program.

I see Deuce didn't get in the game last week. He is the #3 guy at Kentucky. But we knew for sure he was the one!!!!!!!
I guess this is your idea of a "gotcha," but the truth is that there is no reason to believe that any QB on Iowa's roster is better than the 3rd string QB on a team with a quality offense.

Reactions: Ronman
My son lives down in Texas and has a friend who is “In the know” when it comes to Iowa football. He says the team hates Padilla, to the point they have refused to play for him. It has something to do with his degree. Padilla is 100% committed to get caught up earning his degree; that is the only reason he came back. But he’s become a real dickhead and keeps to himself. I don’t know if I this is 100% accurate, but I do know this: something is going on with the other 2 QB’s that we don’t know about or else there would have been a change made.

My son lives down in Texas and has a friend who is “In the know” when it comes to Iowa football. He says the team hates Padilla, to the point they have refused to play for him. It has something to do with his degree. Padilla is 100% committed to get caught up earning his degree; that is the only reason he came back. But he’s become a real dickhead and keeps to himself. I don’t know if I this is 100% accurate, but I do know this: something is going on with the other 2 QB’s that we don’t know about or else there would have been a change made.
I know right, sounds like a guy I know named cooter. He says that Petras can chuck a football over the mountain, and Logan Jones blocked Van Ness through the field goal post at one practice.

I guess this is your idea of a "gotcha," but the truth is that there is no reason to believe that any QB on Iowa's roster is better than the 3rd string QB on a team with a quality offense.
Keep moving those goal posts. And yes, Padilla was given a chance to play last year. How did it work out?

Personally, I could give two sh*ts if a promise was made. Two months from now, Petras will be history. But, we'll still be stuck with the Ferentzs and all their baggage, lawsuit, and their weight and drag on Iowa football that needs to be cut loose.

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT