ADVERTISEMENT

Was the 2023 Recruiting Class the Least "Sexy" Class This Decade?

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
I would say YES. Every year, Iowa hauls in a recruiting class ranked between 25th - 45th nationally. The classes are almost always sprinkled with a few elite guys that fans are extra hyped about and can't wait to see play. So who fit that criteria this year?

In 2022, it was Nwankpa, a 5 star safety who could have gone anywhere, Graves a US Army all-American, May a rare 4**** QB commit, and Johnson a home run hitting 4**** RB out of Ohio.
In 2021, the Hawks landed five different 4**** recruits, including playmaking WRs Keagan Johnson & Arland Bruce & all-American DeJean.
In 2020, it was big time Tx QB Deuce Hogan, a 4**** with swagger who actively recruited others to come to Iowa.
In 2019, the Hawks stole 4**** LB recruit Jacobs from Ohio State, beat out Georgia for a QB in Padilla, and mined Atlanta for its star RB in Goodson.

For the 2023 class, fans were looking for hope on offense more than ever. Maybe a stud WR or RB who can make explosive plays. Perhaps a stud LB who could fill a hole. A non-statue at QB?

The Hawks started hot, landing a 4 **** superstar RB out of Florida. He ultimately decommitted after seeing how poorly the offense plays under its OC and was vocal about his reasons. Next, the Hawks landed the highest rated commit in program program history, a tackle who could come in and start right away. He too was unimpressed with what he saw out of Iowa's offense, particularly the OL, so he bolted.

Given the loss of the top two commits in the class, which high school recruits did the Hawks bring in that can change the perception of Iowa's sluggish and underperforming offense?

The QB, once a 4**** prospect, was downgraded by all recruiting services this year after having a mediocre senior season. He played under the tutelage of Spencer Petras' "QB guru." Was he at least the dual threat QB that Iowa needs? Probably not, as he gained just 320 yards rushing. The RB in the class is unranked by Rivals and rushed for just 470 yards in high school this year. His best offers were from the MAC. The WRs may have been most disappointing, as the best prospect is a 6'5 kid who literally had zero scholarship offers other than Iowa. Not exactly an upgrade from the loss of Johnson, Bruce & Ragaini. Probably the most hyped recruit in this class is Ben Kueter, just the 4th ranked prospect out of the state of Iowa, who will likely give up football to wrestle at Iowa down the road.

Sexiness aside, Iowa ultimately brought in a solid recruiting class. They are made up almost exclusively of midwestern 3 star guys. Very few "fallback" type 2 star recruits that we usually see around signing day, but also virtually no "blue chippers" who picked Iowa over big time programs. This looks to be a developmental group who can come in and contribute as juniors and seniors.

Last edited:
Ok Slaw, I'll bite. They way things work now with the portal, you have better include transfers in your recruiting "analysis". Which is exactly what it is. Having said that, Iowa just picked up a 4* QB and a 4* TE.

You need to broaden your lens and not be so narrowly focused in an "analysis" But your motives are obviously negative so your pontificating, self-serving, post diarrhea is always slanted that way.

Last edited:
I would say YES. Every year, Iowa hauls in a recruiting class ranked between 25th - 45th nationally. The classes are almost always sprinkled with a few elite guys that fans are extra hyped about and can't wait to see play. So who fit that criteria this year?

In 2022, it was Nwankpa, a 5 star safety who could have gone anywhere, Graves a US Army all-American, May a rare 4**** QB commit, and Johnson a home run hitting 4**** RB out of Ohio.
In 2021, the Hawks landed five different 4**** recruits, including playmaking WRs Keagan Johnson & Arland Bruce & all-American DeJean.
In 2020, it was big time Tx QB Deuce Hogan, a 4**** with swagger who actively recruited others to come to Iowa.
In 2019, the Hawks stole 4**** LB recruit Jacobs from Ohio State, beat out Georgia for a QB in Padilla, and mined Atlanta for its star RB in Goodson.

For the 2023 class, fans were looking for hope on offense more than ever. Maybe a stud WR or RB who can make explosive plays. Perhaps a stud LB who could fill a hole. A non-statue at QB?

The Hawks started hot, landing a 4 **** superstar RB out of Florida. He ultimately decommitted after seeing how poorly the offense plays under its OC and was vocal about his reasons. Next, the Hawks landed the highest rated commit in program program history, a tackle who could come in and start right away. He too was unimpressed with what he saw out of Iowa's offense, particularly the OL, so he bolted.

Given the loss of the top two commits in the class, which high school recruits did the Hawks bring in that can change the perception of Iowa's sluggish and underperforming offense?

The QB, once a 4**** prospect, was downgraded by all recruiting services this year after having a mediocre senior season. He played under the tutelage of Spencer Petras' "QB guru." Was he at least the dual threat QB that Iowa needs? Probably not, as he gained just 320 yards rushing. The RB in the class is unranked by Rivals and rushed for just 470 yards in high school this year. His best offers were from the MAC. The WRs may have been most disappointing, as the best prospect is a 6'5 kid who literally had zero scholarship offers other than Iowa. Not exactly an upgrade from the loss of Johnson, Bruce & Ragaini. Probably the most hyped recruit in this class is Ben Kueter, just the 4th ranked prospect out of the state of Iowa, who will likely give up football to wrestle at Iowa down the road.

Sexiness aside, Iowa ultimately brought in a solid recruiting class. They are made up almost exclusively of midwestern 3 star guys. Very few "fallback" type 2 star recruits that we usually see around signing day, but also virtually no "blue chippers" who picked Iowa over big time programs. This looks to be a developmental group who can come in and contribute as juniors and seniors.
Lainez did not have a mediocre senior season, in fact he played at an elite level. He got downgraded because he didn’t perform well at an underwear Olympics camp.

Reactions: northernboarderhawk
I know I need to stop responding to comments that are at this level of stupid, but:

77.6% completion rate
2182 yards passing
23TDs to 5 Ints
rushed for 5 touchdowns on 573 rushing yards
Yup, 24/7, Rivals, and every other recruiting service that had him a 4 star after his junior year dropped him to a 3 star. I guess "Squeezebox" knows more about talent evaluation than the talent evaluators and he actually had a breakout senior season.

You're probably a big fan of Tony Rasioppi's QB school as well.

IowasLaw said:
The QB, once a 4**** prospect, was downgraded by all recruiting services this year after having a mediocre senior season.
Yup, 24/7, Rivals, and every other recruiting service that had him a 4 star after his junior year dropped him to a 3 star. I guess "Squeezebox" knows more about talent evaluation than the talent evaluators and he actually had a breakout senior season.

Remind me where I said anything about talent evaluation, but please do point to which one of his stats is MEDIOCRE.

Reactions: HocDawk

You are a bone head. Did not read your drivel because you are always negative.

You are one miserable sumbitch. I get not being a homer but your shtick has gotten beyond ridiculous.

Actually, I don't think those sites know shit, beyond what they hear about at those camps. Kid doesn't have a good camp, he gets downgraded. There's NO way they actually follow up on how these 10's of thousands of kids actually play every year. Its all word of mouth, and they miss in just as many players as they get correct, which means their just as informed as we are, beyond the camp deal. Teams like Iowa and even some lower level teams putting guys in the pro's show clearly that they miss on LOTS of players, because there is no way they can actually give an accurate evaluation on all the players in high school in the US.

You are one miserable sumbitch. I get not being a homer but your shtick has gotten beyond ridiculous.
I'm not defending him, but this is a message board where we can express our opinions. Pretty much everyone has a shtick, even you, so go kick rocks twat waffle.

This Decade , all 3 recruiting cycles of it. Wow what a huge sample size and backhanded insult to the incoming very solid Class , OP is like that Guy who gives up on a 60FV Baseball prospect because He is hitting .190 after 20ABs . What are You putting in the food down there since I moved because a growing % People are either woke or flat Hodor mentally . Tell Me it is all the Illinois transplants, please.

th

Actually, I don't think those sites know shit, beyond what they hear about at those camps. Kid doesn't have a good camp, he gets downgraded. There's NO way they actually follow up on how these 10's of thousands of kids actually play every year. Its all word of mouth, and they miss in just as many players as they get correct, which means their just as informed as we are, beyond the camp deal. Teams like Iowa and even some lower level teams putting guys in the pro's show clearly that they miss on LOTS of players, because there is no way they can actually give an accurate evaluation on all the players in high school in the US.
Totally agree here. I like to look at who actually offered a player. That gives a pretty good composite of their worth to college football teams as a whole. To some extent that's how websites do their ratings. But it sure does seem in that 4 star realm there are a lot of guys recruited by a lot of high majors, but not actually offered by any. Unfortunately on the offensive side of the ball it seems like those are the Iowa gets that look good on paper. Petras is a great example. 4 star player based on some hype of gaudy high school stats, yet Iowa beat out teams like Nebraska, Cal, and Colorado State for him. High profile programs didn't buy into the hype and they were right. Of course there always are guys that do get under recruited and breakthrough in college. Iowa has a good history of that. Wish that happened on offense more often lately...

Reactions: kceasthawk

He already explained to you why he was downgrade but clearly you don't want to listen. It came directly from said talent evaluators why he was downgraded and it wasn't because of his senior years. Get it yet, Slaw?

Cyber bullying is alive and well on this site. You guys sound like a bunch of junior high school girls attacking each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT