ADVERTISEMENT

washed up walkons

I enjoy them for what they are: a decent podcast with some inside information. Kevin is pretty good but he's rarely there, Tyler has gotten better at keeping things moving and driving the conversation, and Drake is the stereotypical dumb meathead who gets people fired up. Some of his views, especially on corona, are incredibly dumb, but you can't take him too seriously because he doesn't know any better.

I like it. Definitely better than listening to old fat guys who barely played in high school try to breakdown Iowa and B1G football.
You must be dense if you couldn't hear the sarcasm from Drake when discussing Covid. Regardless, he is a little cringy but I think he's starting to mature and get better.

People seem to crap on Drake but he’s a former FB with most likely CTE that made his career by smashing his head into other heads as hard as he could. What do you expect to come out of him? Mozart and poetry? He’s going to give his meathead perspective which is fine.

Tried to listen to them once, Don’t appreciate their style or care for their take on things

You must be dense if you couldn't hear the sarcasm from Drake when discussing Covid. Regardless, he is a little cringy but I think he's starting to mature and get better.

Haha, he's definitely not sarcastic about covid all the time. Not that hard to pick up on, and it's especially apparent in the episodes where they have the Nebraska guy on.

He is what he is, which is why I don't really hold it against him.

Reactions: flyfishstout_CO
Each Iowa podcast has their own pros/cons/quirks. I enjoy each perspective during the football season...but basketball and down months can be boring at times. Here's my $0.02 on the podcasts I listen to in no particular order. Also, please let me know if I should other podcasts!

Cheers and GO HAWKS!

WUW: I like the player perspectives and plus they continue to host some pretty entertaining guests. The ads at the beginning and randomly throughout the podcasts are annoying and it gets old. But I get it...the mighty dollar and sponsors pay their bills.

HawkFanatic: This podcast definitely has its ebbs and flows...quote intended. Pat Hardy does host some great guests, from coaches to players to outside entities. The callers is where I will warn you...some are legit Hawkeye fans who bring up excellent points, others are complete crazies. 😂 Overall, it's entertaining.

Hawkeye Report: This is a good podcast. Tom does a good job with talking good Hawkeye scoop, and the flow is really smooth. The breakdown of each Iowa game is solid too.

Hawkeye Huddle: The two guys who run this podcast have good chemistry, but sometimes one of the guys sounds like he is a grumpy drunk guy who complains and fights with the younger guy. 😂 But overall, I like how they talk Iowa Hawkeye football.

Hawkeye Nation: This used to be my favorite podcast, but it definitely started going downhill the past couple of years. Overall, they have some good information, especially during football season. I like how Andrew is starting to do more instant reaction podcasts after games.

Hawk Central: I'm really liking this podcast the more I listen to it. The guys have good chemistry, and break down Iowa sports quite well. They get some descent callers, and they always answer the questions thrown at them.

Degenerate Hawkeyes: The two guys (Trent and Biz) who host this one have great chemistry. They break down each game with some fun statistics thrown in there too. I like how they talk the Vegas spreads every episode and talk about gambling on games.

Hawkeye 4DT: I enjoy this one during football...I believe it's only on during football season. The two guys have good chemistry, and do a solid job breaking down specific aspects of the Hawkeyes. They also throw in some gambling spreads too.
Great breakdown of the pods! Thank you!
I've listened to a few of these & actually enjoy them all

Thanks for posting this, I finally got around to listening and I agree it was really good. It was nice to finally get the full rhabdo story, it was slightly different from the various versions I had heard on the internet over the years. Also some good discussion about what went wrong in 2010, tied in with what it takes for Iowa teams to be successful and even a slight allusion to how some of these program changes to try to avoid repeats of the 2010 season maybe led to all of the comments from some players last summer about not being comfortable at Iowa.
I’m 60 years old so these guys are kids to me and I enjoy their immaturity.... makes me laugh..... I don’t think you’re going to get much better “inside” perspective of what Hawkeye football players experience is like.... other than I’ve met several explayers that are closer to my age.... their stories are from the Fry Era.... Matt Sherman comes to our tailgate and he has some great stories about Hayden and Dan McCartney😎

People seem to crap on Drake but he’s a former FB with most likely CTE that made his career by smashing his head into other heads as hard as he could. What do you expect to come out of him? Mozart and poetry? He’s going to give his meathead perspective which is fine.
Well said.

they have always maintained he was a positive influence from their perspective but acknowledge he was probably out of line occasionally.... admit their experience was likely different than some of their black teammates.... but think he deserves a second chance

FWIW, Felicia Goodson did an interview on a radio show, and said she and Maurice were shocked by the allegations. They called Tyler to make sure he wasn't going through it and just not telling them. Tyler was as shocked as they were. She quoted Tyler as saying, "Doyle? That's my dude!"

Basically, it's not hard to fathom it was blown out of proportion. It's also not hard to fathom that, though apparently "insensitive", some of the stuff was actually said, but not with the intent some claimed.

Like most things these days, "perspective", "hypersensitivity", "context", etc., is relative.

I love the WUW style, because it's 100% 3 guys being themselves. Just free flowing conversation. Some pods come off to professional and rigid. Good insight and perspective from inside the program as well. Outside of the former Morehouse Pod there isn't a subscription i tune into more. I know.... to each their own.

I love the WUW style, because it's 100% 3 guys being themselves. Just free flowing conversation. Some pods come off to professional and rigid. Good insight and perspective from inside the program as well. Outside of the former Morehouse Pod there isn't a subscription i tune into more. I know.... to each their own.
same here.... Bohannens isn’t bad either I think it’s good for fans to get a players honest perspective.... sometimes we forget how much goes into playing a collegiate sport at that level...I’ve known some Iowa wrestlers and none of them cared for the attention near as much as they loved competing..... they’re under constant scrutiny

Incredible insight. FB=automatic CTE.

I have a hard time believing Leistikow (or others) said that, or if they did, some sort of context is missing.

Not because they're not stupid enough or big enough hacks, they're certainly capable in that respect. But calling former players with probably the top Iowa podcast by subscriptions "not fans" certainly doesn't make much sense.

I have a hard time believing Leistikow (or others) said that, or if they did, some sort of context is missing.

Not because they're not stupid enough or big enough hacks, they're certainly capable in that respect. But calling former players with probably the top Iowa podcast by subscriptions "not fans" certainly doesn't make much sense.
Pretty sure that was referring to the guys running the Hawk Central podcast.

Pretty sure that was referring to the guys running the Hawk Central podcast.
2lX.gif

I can totally believe that the journalists on Hawk Central said they weren't Hawk fans.

Would you prefer they are like Nebraska sportswriters who cheer in the pressbox and stand for the school song?

I can totally believe that the journalists on Hawk Central said they weren't Hawk fans.

Would you prefer they are like Nebraska sportswriters who cheer in the pressbox and stand for the school song?

No doubt. I can believe that some people who cover sports teams are not fans of said team. And who would care? It has no effect on their job and shouldn't be a requirement, in fact it's most likely a negative a lot of times.

Courtney Cronin who covers the Vikings is a great example of this. She's not a fan and does an excellent job covering the team.

I’m a fan. They are what they are and that’s the style that comes with who they are. I listen to a variety of Hawk podcasts - some bring the fan angle, some bring the sports reporter angle. They bring the player angle. I really appreciate that they get a lot of great guests. Some of it is former teammates, but the former players let their guard down a bit more with WUW than they might with straight media guys.

@hawkifann , you and I are on the same page.

I've listened to virtually every episode. For sure they have improved. Tyler has actually become really good. It's evident he prepares well and his questions to guests are intuitive and thoughtful. I could honestly see him with a career in broadcasting.

I agree with you that Drake is hit and miss, but he too has improved. He's maturing and there's little doubt he's a really good guy. There's a noticeable decrescendo to his maverick attitude.

For those of us with a few years under our belts, the Walk On's transition is one we have personally experienced. It's pleasant to observe Drake navigate these same waters. For that matter, all 3 of these young men are maturing. They are good people. As Hawkeye fans we can all be extremely proud of our football staff that recruits young people with their character.

I can handle F bombs as well as anybody on the planet, but there are times it's inappropriate. The boys overuse F bombs and I'm disappointed they fail to realize it. I've hung with wild men my entire life. Hell, I've been thrown out of biker bars for vulgarity!!! But I wouldn't give my church going mother access to all my conversations. It's kind of like their F bomb filter doesn't exist.

On the other hand, they're not phony and a case can be made that they are giving us a true inside look of the Iowa program. I choose to listen.

I'd also say that their guests have helped the show immensely. The Morris interview was off the charts and the Bishop interview too was sensational. For that matter, the John Kenny interview also rocked. What a good guy he is and what a perspective to hear from a player who left our program.

Bottom line, if you can handle a few F bombs and have not listened in awhile, you should give it another shot.

Last edited:

If you want to have some fun, listen to the Nebraska podcast, Hail Varsity. Chris Schmidt is the announcer and he's a good guy, but he's pure red. The guys he has on are pure red too. But right now Frost is so bad they've quit defending him.

In my life, there has been nothing better than listening to Nebraska fans and press agonize over the demise of their beloved football program. It's hard for them to even say the word, IOWA. They hate us which is glorious!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you have a chance to listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
Polasek gave high praise to the interior of the OL. He said they have a chance to be really special and not just because of Linderbaum.

Reactions: Tytyhawk
Cliff notes? Won't be able to listen until the end of this week and curious what they talked about. Thanks!
Sorry, just saw this. Nothing earth shattering, just some solid perspective. Talked about his coaching philosophy, why he left, other guys on the staff, etc. Had some cool stories about Wirffs and Linderbaum as well. Really well done.

Cliff notes? Won't be able to listen until the end of this week and curious what they talked about. Thanks!
I finally got time to listen. As mentioned it was really good and made me appreciate why Polasek was hired and why the players liked him.

The comments on the racial allegations were probably most interesting to me. Most of it was stuff we’ve heard before but I thought it was interesting he said every program nationwide is addressing this issue right now. He said he’s talked to many other coaches and staff across the country - I believe he said over 100 different people he’s talked to around the country that have all told him their programs are actively trying to address the issue of racial unity and talk about it with their players and coaches.

The other thing he said that I thought was interesting was that a big part of what Iowa has been doing in the wake of the allegations is just getting the kids from small towns to understand that this is a real problem that’s out there. The kids from small town Iowa have never really been exposed to it or seen it first hand so they needed to hear from their teammates from different backgrounds about what it’s like to grow up and be treated differently because of your race so they could understand why their black teammates were having such a hard time.

It reminded me of an earlier WUW episode (maybe with Broderick Binns?) where he made some similar comments about how white people don’t always understand the problems black people face - some of them are small (like noticing that people frequently cross the street when they see you coming so they don’t have to pass you on the sidewalk), and some of them are bigger like frequently getting asked to step out of the car by police. Polasek related a similar story about asking a roomful of people if they had ever had a bad interaction with police in their lifetime and the half of the room that were black nearly all raised their hand and the half that were white almost none of them raised their hand, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT