ADVERTISEMENT

Washington Mystics Sign Megan Gustafson

Good for Megan! Hope she sticks around.

Get a workout with #55 while you are out there.

Unfortunately there are only 144 total roster spots in the WNBA (12 teams x 12 players/ team).

Story from ESPN:

Injury-riddled Washington Mystics sign free-agent center Megan Gustafson

• i

Mechelle VoepelESPN.com
The Washington Mystics signed free-agent center Megan Gustafson on Monday, and she will be available for Tuesday's game at Seattle.

The Mystics have been hit by multiple injuries and were allowed a hardship signing by the WNBA because they had fewer than 10 healthy players available. The 6-foot-3 Gustafson was a second-round pick, No. 17 overall out of Iowa, in the 2019 WNBA draft by Dallas.

She initially was released before her rookie season started, but then was re-signed by the Wings and played 25 games that year and nine last season. She averaged 2.6 points and 2.2 rebounds in her Dallas career.

Gustafson spent this past winter playing in Poland, then was cut by the Wings -- who drafted two post players in April with the Nos. 1 and 2 picks -- in May. She was espnW's national player of the year in 2019 as a senior with the Hawkeyes.

Since this is a hardship signing, they are contractually obligated to release Megan once their standard roster players who are currently either injured or playing overseas are available again. That said, if Megan impresses, it increases the odds she might be signed again in the future by this team or another.

If she hangs around for a couple weeks, there are a lot of opportunities to see her on national TV, including noon on CBS this Saturday against her old team...

Saturday, June 26 Noon CT at Dallas CBS

Tuesday, June 29 6 pm CT vs Connecticut ESPN2

Saturday, July 3 Noon CT at New York CBSSN

Saturday, July 10 7 CT at Chicago Sky Amazon Prime

I might go to that last one if she’s still with Washington. I know they will be missing players for the Olympics too.

She had 2 points and 6 boards (one turnover and missed a three-pointer) in 10 minutes last night. They beat Seattle at Seattle so has to be considered a success so far.

Reactions: bradjens and nu2u
Remember when that one dude posted a scene from a play about her and Luka falling in love? What an idiot.

Hopefully this plays out well for her.

I'm sure it's not lost on most Hawk fans the parallel story lines of Megan and Luka. It's not all said and done yet, of course. But it would not be surprising to see something similar with Luka.
Just another reminder that even elite college players sometimes don't have the right game and/or find the right circumstances to make it in the NBA or WNBA. Doesn't take anything away from what they accomplished as Hawkeyes.

Hopefully this plays out well for her.

I'm sure it's not lost on most Hawk fans the parallel story lines of Megan and Luka. It's not all said and done yet, of course. But it would not be surprising to see something similar with Luka.
Just another reminder that even elite college players sometimes don't have the right game and/or find the right circumstances to make it in the NBA or WNBA. Doesn't take anything away from what they accomplished as Hawkeyes.

Yes they are different leagues and the skill set required to be an elite player in college and in the NBA or WNBA are not the same. Should not take away from what either did in college.

Washington (7-7) falls at Los Angeles (6-7), 89-82.

Washington only played 7 of the 8 players they had available in this game.

Megan's stats:
10 minutes
2/3 FGs
4 Points
4 Rebounds (1 offensive)
1 Steal
3 Turnovers (ughh)
2 Personal Fouls

Washington (7-7) falls at Los Angeles (6-7), 89-82.

Washington only played 7 of the 8 players they had available in this game.

Megan's stats:
10 minutes
2/3 FGs
4 Points
4 Rebounds (1 offensive)
1 Steal
3 Turnovers (ughh)
2 Personal Fouls
One of her turnovers was a face-up move gone horribly wrong, but the other two were offensive fouls that were also credited as turnovers. All of Washington's posts were getting called for moving screens last night so it wasn't just a Megan thing.

They tried to feed her in the post a couple times in the second half when she had good positioning, but both times the entry passes were off.

Reactions: slipHawk
Early buckets for Megan! 2 for 2 off the bench for 4 points, and a partial block, to get Washington back in this game,

EDIT: and a fierce defensive rebound.

Reactions: undersized_post
Waived:

Yet looked good when in compared to Plaisance, and the stats (in ten less minutes) back it up...

If I remember correctly, the Washington Post story on Megan said the Mystics were required to waive her when the injured player she replaced came back. WNBA hardship signing rule I guess. Does not mean the Mystics could not turn around and re sign her tomorrow. Hope she lands somewhere.

Note that Megan could get resigned on Thursday by Washington or any other team.

Story from ESPN:

Mystics coach and general manager Mike Thibault indicated Monday that Gustafson may be back soon on a seven-day deal.

One of the 3 Washington waived was their 2019 first-round pick Kiara Leslie.

According to this ESPN article, it's all part of the roster moves the Mystics and some other WNBA teams made to try to keep their options flexible for the rest of the season.

Monday was the league deadline for waiving players before their contracts became guaranteed for the rest of the season.

Teams
can sign any available players to seven-day contracts starting Thursday, including players they just waived.

A player can sign a maximum of THREE seven-day contracts with the same team per season, but also can sign those deals with MULTIPLE TEAMS.

Reactions: undersized_post
As expected, Megan is back with Washington on a 7 day contract. Teams can sign free agents to up to 3 such contracts for the remainder of the season. Washington will likely keep bringing Megan back until their regular roster is healthy again or someone better than her were to become suddenly available (which is unlikely). If they decide to keep her for more than 21 days (three 7 day contracts), they can offer her a prorated "rest of season" contract.

Megan's back for another 7 days. This will get Washington through the beginning of the WNBA's month long break to accommodate the Olympics. Bad news for Megan is that their roster could be healthy again by that point. We won't know until August.

Anyone know what the deal was with MG last night? Mystics were hurting in the front court. Charles didn't play and Delle Donne left early, and MG wasn't even in the boxscore as a DNP.

Anyone know what the deal was with MG last night? Mystics were hurting in the front court. Charles didn't play and Delle Donne left early, and MG wasn't even in the boxscore as a DNP.
I know that earlier this week was she was in Iowa City for her MBA. Should be back in the squad next game.

The Mystics have played six games since the end of the Olympics break, and Megan has yet to play a minute. Their injured players are all back now I think, so she is just filling out the roster. I hope she showed enough earlier in the season to find a fit somewhere else next year if not Washington.

Reactions: BDJHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT