ADVERTISEMENT

Washington Mystics Sign Megan Gustafson

The Mystics have played six games since the end of the Olympics break, and Megan has yet to play a minute. Their injured players are all back now I think, so she is just filling out the roster. I hope she showed enough earlier in the season to find a fit somewhere else next year if not Washington.

it's tough to stick when there are just 144 jobs available (12 teams x 12 roster spots)

The Mystics have played six games since the end of the Olympics break, and Megan has yet to play a minute. Their injured players are all back now I think, so she is just filling out the roster. I hope she showed enough earlier in the season to find a fit somewhere else next year if not Washington.
She played a few minutes on Tuesday.

Megan came off the bench with the Mystics down 18 in the second half and sparked the beginning of a comeback victory over her old Dallas Wings team. Finished 2/3 from the field and 2/2 at the FT line for 6 points in a 76-75 win.…

Last edited:
Megan going on a tear here in the fourth after not playing much in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. One basket and a rebound or two from a double-double, 2 minutes left. They got blown out when she was off the floor and Seattle is still up big.

EDIT: Hits two more shots in those last two minutes. 6 for 9 shooting for 12 points and 8 rebounds.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the WNBA season ended last week, so a lot of players are joining their 'other' league/teams (that very well may be their bigger paycheck)

Recent interview. I knew that she recently missed a couple of games, but didn’t realize it was a concussion.

Reactions: mphawk
I watched Megan’s team play on YouTube this afternoon. Her team VBW Arka Gdynia currently plays, as I understand it, in both the EuroLeague and a Polish league. All or most of the EuroLeague games are live on YouTube.
Observations:
1. The game was played in Landes in southwestern France. It was played in the equivalent of what I would consider a large high school gym. Someone in the YouTube discussion said it sat 3,000, and it was packed (most were wearing masks). Very enthusiastic fans.
2. A pep band played during the entire game (while the ball was in play). The only tune that I recognized was “Those Were the Days.” A band playing during the game is not generally a European thing, as the Polish fans on YouTube were incensed by this. Apparently it definitely is a southwestern France thing. I kind of liked it as there no announcers on the broadcast.
3. I missed the first quarter. Of what I saw, Megan had just an OK game.
4. Pretty sure, remember no announcers, Megan picked up a technical foul, if you can imagine that, early in the 4th quarter. Megan got an offensive rebound and appeared to get hacked across the arm by Sophie Cunningham (who played her last collegiate game in CHA in an NCAA loss to the Hawkeyes) as she was trying to put it back in. No foul was called, but next thing I knew Cunningham(who must have had around 25 points) was at the other end shooting a FT with no one on the lane. Megan came out of the game and never returned. She was calmly discussing something with an official when she left, but I didn’t see her do anything else. They apparently called another T on her team about 30 seconds later.

Reactions: undersized_post
Considering the Mystics have the #1 overall pick and also might have some players returning from injuries, she will have her work cut out for her to make the team this year! Good thing she's a hard worker <3

She looks like she's dropped a few pounds recently. Not that she was ever big, but I'm sure the grind, training, and effort have made it inevitable.

EuroLeague MVP race: Making a case for the top 15 players
Who is best positioned to win EuroLeague MVP with four weeks left in the regular season?

Megan Gustafson (WAS) - Arka Gdynia
Gustafson's minus-27 plus-minus is the lowest among players in this top 15. That's not too worrisome, though, considering she plays for the worst team in Group B and she's the only one with an average efficiency above 16.
Although she's had to lead her squad (12.1 field goal attempts per game), Gustafson has been able to shoot a monster 61.7% from the field (only one other top-15 player is above her and is attempting five fewer field goals per game).
She is one of only four players averaging at least 10 points, eight rebounds, one assist and one block per game. That's a fantastic baseline, indeed, but Gustafson is almost doubling that scoring with her 17.9 points per game.
Overlooked golden nugget: Gustafson has the second-fewest fouls per game (0.8) among those in our top 15. She is the only player committing less than one foul while playing more than 27 minutes per game.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Her team has a EuroLeague game live on YouTube at 1130 AM CST today. You also can watch them replayed whenever. Usually no announcers.

Reactions: undersized_post
Her team has a EuroLeague game live on YouTube at 1130 AM CST today. You also can watch them replayed whenever. Usually no announcers.
Per the YouTube comments, the start is being delayed as there was bad weather somewhere between Poland and Turkey. Tip-off currently slated for 12:45 PM CST..

Per the YouTube comments, the start is being delayed as there was bad weather somewhere between Poland and Turkey. Tip-off currently slated for 12:45 PM CST..
Kiah Stokes playing for the Turkish team in the familiar #41.
There is a huge banner on one wall running from free throw line to free throw line that says, "Our Home Our Rules." I wanna know where they got that.

ADVERTISEMENT