ADVERTISEMENT

Washington soars to 80 degrees, setting January temperature record

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Welcome to June in January and record-shattering winter warmth in Washington.
Temperatures surged about 35 degrees above normal Friday, as highs well into the 70s to near 80 across the region, breaking records that stood for decades.

Fast, informative and written just for locals. Get The 7 DMV newsletter in your inbox every weekday morning.

Through early afternoon, Reagan National Airport, the official observing site for Washington, had reached at least 80 degrees, the highest observed in January since records began in 1872.

Friday’s temperature reached 80 degrees earlier than any other year by several weeks. The previous earliest 80-degree temperature in Washington occurred on Feb. 21, 2018. In an average year, Washington doesn’t post its first 80-degree high until March 28.

Because of human-caused climate change, temperatures in the 70s or higher have become much more common in recent decades in the Washington region.

The surge of warmth pushed temperatures about 45 to 50 degrees higher than a week ago when it snowed 3 to 5 inches.
Dulles International Airport also set a January record high Friday, soaring to at least 79 degrees. Records there date to 1963. Only five days ago, the airport dipped to a frigid 7 degrees amid a siege of Arctic air which has since been displaced by a surge of warmth from the Gulf of Mexico.
Then there’s the humidity. Dew points — a measure of the moisture in the air — climbed into the mid-60s, which is close to unheard of during the middle of winter.
Wednesday: D.C. area could hit 70 in January for first time in 4 years on Friday
It’s unusual to reach 70 degrees in January in our region, happening about once every few years on average. To hit 80 degrees is unprecedented.

At Reagan National Airport, the highest January temperature on record was previously 79 degrees, reached on this date in 1950.

The last time it hit at least 70 in January in the region was in 2020. Highs this warm are more probable in December and February, especially in recent decades because of the long-term increase in temperatures.

It'll be hotter next January from all the poor losers trying to burn the town down.

Let me tell you about all the places I have travelled around the world.

Let me tell you about my boat, truck, and SUV.

Let me tell you about my huge house and my second house.

Let me tell you about how much I worry about global warming.

The above is a huge chunk of HROT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT