ADVERTISEMENT

Washington State QB who committed suicide had CTE (and brain of 65 yr old)

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Tyler Hilinski was a promising college football quarterback at Washington State University who died by suicide earlier this year at the age of 21.

Now his parents, Mark and Kym, are speaking out about mental health and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE).

“It was a shock to … find out that he had it, and to realize that the sport that he loved may have contributed to that diagnosis,” the mother tells TODAY’s Hoda Kotb.

Watch his parents' interview here: https://www.today.com/video/parents...-a-shock-to-find-he-had-cte-1264158787647?v=b

471a1fa3-4d8e-40e8-b2f9-952f645a4e30-large16x9_AP18017673103925.jpg

Last edited:
That's extremely young to have CTE, any documented concussions or head injuries? Although, as evidenced you don't necessary have to have severe head trauma or concussion to build this up, think of an OL butting heads 100 snaps a game.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I’m still wondering if there are other factors that increase it for certain people. How are there so many that show no signs of it or it doesn’t impact their life the way it does a few others? What about all those football players or athletes from other contact sports live long and normal lives. What’s different for them? Many of them had the same head trauma or worse.

What is scary about this is all of the information we have on CTE at this time points to the repetitive nature of the impact being the main cause. I feed bad for all of the kids at the high school, juco, d2, and d3 levels that won't have the resources at their disposal as the D1 and NFL players in the future as this issues evolves.

Reactions: Underscore2
Thats terribly sad.. it's a difficult realization that the sport I love to watch causes severe brain malfunction. I'm still going to watch it and be a passionate fan but I have to at least acknowledge that this is happening and it is likely more prevalent than we realize

Agreed. The one item which hopefully they can figure out is are certain persons much more susceptible to it than others. If they figure that out maybe football lives on mostly unchanged, but if they don't just don't see how it is here 50 years from now. But then again boxing continues and that is mostly repetitive blows to the head also.

I’m still wondering if there are other factors that increase it for certain people. How are there so many that show no signs of it or it doesn’t impact their life the way it does a few others? What about all those football players or athletes from other contact sports live long and normal lives. What’s different for them? Many of them had the same head trauma or worse.

Right, how is someone like a Terry Bradshaw or Fran Tarkenton still functioning in old age??

Think about this....

QBs are rarely hit in college during practices or have any contact as we know and for good reason. If I read his bio correctly he started exactly 1 game (holiday bowl) and came in to relieve Falk twice over his entire career at WSU. So are we supposed to understand that his CTE was primarily attributable to his WSU experience?

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Think about this....

QBs are rarely hit in college during practices or have any contact as we know and for good reason. If I read his bio correctly he started exactly 1 game (holiday bowl) and came in to relieve Falk twice over his entire career at WSU. So are we supposed to understand that his CTE was primarily attributable to his WSU experience?
Other contributing factors that haven’t been linked yet?

Reactions: cidsports
Thats terribly sad.. it's a difficult realization that the sport I love to watch causes severe brain malfunction. I'm still going to watch it and be a passionate fan but I have to at least acknowledge that this is happening and it is likely more prevalent than we realize
These parents have another son who plays QB and who has committed to South Carolina.

It does make you wonder how much we don't know.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
That's extremely young to have CTE, any documented concussions or head injuries? Although, as evidenced you don't necessary have to have severe head trauma or concussion to build this up, think of an OL butting heads 100 snaps a game.
The SI documentary might cover this; not sure though; have not watched it yet.

I hope that all the research that is being done in Boston answers all these questions. i am guessing it is genetics related, where some are more predisposed to getting it.

In this particular case, however, the Mayo Clinic did the autopsy and discovered the CTE.

Wow so sad we need to get this fixed. Please somebody design a better helment. I am a big fan but i would not want my own son playing the game i must confess. Play baseball and dont get hit in the head wear the c flap.

Last edited:
What is scary about this is all of the information we have on CTE at this time points to the repetitive nature of the impact being the main cause. I feed bad for all of the kids at the high school, juco, d2, and d3 levels that won't have the resources at their disposal as the D1 and NFL players in the future as this issues evolves.
yeah, if i were a parent of a high school football player, i would be nervous about the helmets currenlty being used.

Iowa supposedly is using an advanced, high tech helmet this year, but what good does it do if your bell is still getting rung?

Agreed. The one item which hopefully they can figure out is are certain persons much more susceptible to it than others. If they figure that out maybe football lives on mostly unchanged, but if they don't just don't see how it is here 50 years from now. But then again boxing continues and that is mostly repetitive blows to the head also.
and look at MMA; that can't be good for the brain, either

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I hope that all the research that is being done in Boston answers all these questions. i am guessing it is genetics related, where some are more predisposed to getting it.

In this particular case, however, the Mayo Clinic did the autopsy and discovered the CTE.

I agree i think it is genetics related. But how do we weed the predisposed out? High schools need more funding to provide better equipment for sure. And also i am 65 and yes the brain is different so if your not enjoy it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
Think about this....

good points. i hope the documentary covers all this.

watch the interview in the OP; the parents said they went back and looked at games he played in; apparently there was one game in particular where he took some big hits; but holy crap, over his career he surely did not take 'that many" hits and at age 21 he already has CTE?

For instance, steroid/HGH/PED/etc. use. Lyle Alzado attributed HGH and steroids to his brain cancer, for instance.

It would not surprise me, at all, to see those findings down the road. Plus, we have to remember who is doing some of the research, i.e., people who are going into their study "looking" for certain results.

I also question "brain of a 65-year old", but that's just me, maybe.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I think all that is truly is known right now is there is a positive association between repetitive hits and CTE. Notably, CTE hasn't really been studied in people who don't have symptoms or didn't play contact sports, it has only been studied in persons who played contact sports and have symptoms, so there is no real baseline to compare to. Why CTE develops and manifests symptoms in some but not others, and the the rate and time which it develops, is largely unknown.

Until CTE can be studied in living persons, my guess is that its going to be hard. Until then, parents need to realize CTE and head injuries is a risk associated with football and proceed accordingly. Further, the more football you play the more of a risk you have. My guess is the kid here played a lot of youth football.

I think all that is truly is known right now is there is a positive association between repetitive hits and CTE. Notably, CTE hasn't really been studied in people who don't have symptoms or didn't play contact sports, it has only been studied in persons who played contact sports and have symptoms, so there is no real baseline to compare to. Why CTE develops and manifests symptoms in some but not others, and the the rate and time which it develops, is largely unknown.

Until CTE can be studied in living persons, my guess is that its going to be hard. Until then, parents need to realize CTE and head injuries is a risk associated with football and proceed accordingly. Further, the more football you play the more of a risk you have. My guess is the kid here played a lot of youth football.

What puzzles me is the (seemingly) high rate of those who commit suicide. It would be interesting to know a drug/substance history for other possible correlation.

I like your post and insights. I would not down play that repeated blows to the head are a problem. I will debate though that there is a seedy element to all of this on the other side even though there is merit to a player safety issue. There’s a lot of money to be made in ‘movies’, ‘research’, ‘studies’ and ‘solutuoms’ that is all fueled by capatilizing on speculation. Some people live for causes.

This young man had ‘the brain of a 65 year old’ after playing in 1 full game and 2 other games in relief at the college level. QB is a non contact position outside of games and probably has the least practice contact with the exception of kicker/punter. It sounds like his high school career got going as a QB after a transfer his junior year. Again it’s not like high school coaches are asking their QB (star player) to line up for Oklahoma drills. It’s also not likely that he was not a QB for a lot of his playing days.

So now the speculation is youth football? The NFL got hung out to dry by lawsuits over this so how much did they pay for the damage done by youth football before the players ever arrived to the league?

I like your post and insights. I would not down play that repeated blows to the head are a problem. I will debate though that there is a seedy element to all of this on the other side even though there is merit to a player safety issue. There’s a lot of money to be made in ‘movies’, ‘research’, ‘studies’ and ‘solutuoms’ that is all fueled by capatilizing on speculation. Some people live for causes.

This young man had ‘the brain of a 65 year old’ after playing in 1 full game and 2 other games in relief at the college level. QB is a non contact position outside of games and probably has the least practice contact with the exception of kicker/punter. It sounds like his high school career got going as a QB after a transfer his junior year. Again it’s not like high school coaches are asking their QB (star player) to line up for Oklahoma drills. It’s also not likely that he was not a QB for a lot of his playing days.

So now the speculation is youth football? The NFL got hung out to dry by lawsuits over this so how much did they pay for the damage done by youth football before the players ever arrived to the league?
This is why I and many others believe there are other factors for certain individuals. Until we know what those are, proceed with caution.

Jason Kelce recently retired from the Philadelphia Eagles. In the NFL, he played for 13 years (he started and played in 205 regular season & playoff games). In college, he played 4 years at Cincinnati.

"I can virtually guarantee that I have CTE,'' Kelce wrote on social media. "All the research would suggest I have some degree of it. I think it is entirely reasonable to assume I have some degree of that pathology.''

The full story:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: wilson reborn
Jason Kelce recently retired from the Philadelphia Eagles. In the NFL, he played for 13 years (he started and played in 205 regular season & playoff games). In college, he played 4 years at Cincinnati.

"I can virtually guarantee that I have CTE,'' Kelce wrote on social media. "All the research would suggest I have some degree of it. I think it is entirely reasonable to assume I have some degree of that pathology.''

The full story:

So he should expect to be an invalid by sometime in his 60s.

What puzzles me is the (seemingly) high rate of those who commit suicide. It would be interesting to know a drug/substance history for other possible correlation.
People who have concussions make poorer decisions because of the concussions.

Not all concussions are created equal and different parts of the brain have different results.

I guy I worked with scored a TD at Indiana as a fullback. Said he got dinged in the head harder in HS where technique isn't as well taught.

People who have concussions make poorer decisions because of the concussions.

Not all concussions are created equal and different parts of the brain have different results.

I guy I worked with scored a TD at Indiana as a fullback. Said he got dinged in the head harder in HS where technique isn't as well taught.
CTE induction is thought to be due to the continued trauma to the head. Certainly there is severity when it comes to head trauma, but most studies have linked CTE to the age at when contact to the head began and ended. This is why many schools are going to contact football in high school only.

CTE induction is thought to be due to the continued trauma to the head. Certainly there is severity when it comes to head trauma, but most studies have linked CTE to the age at when contact to the head began and ended. This is why many schools are going to contact football in high school only.
The brain is so unknown. I think you missed some words in your post. Low impact does seem to have a big impact. A single hit can have long- term repercussions.

The brain is so unknown. I think you missed some words in your post. Low impact does seem to have a big impact. A single hit can have long- term repercussions.
The brain is not so unknown, we are consistently learning new details. Low impact absolutely has a big impact, consistent low impact is the problem, this is why soccer players also suffer from CTE. CTE risk is highly prevalent among individuals have have sustained consistent head traumas. Low impact is part of that equation.

If anyone wonders why I support the current NIL system 100%, this is it. It's crazy that fans are all pissed off because it has a negative effect on the college team they love so dearly, while athletes used to, and some still do, suffer long term medical issues for a scholarship.

The brain is not so unknown, we are consistently learning new details. Low impact absolutely has a big impact, consistent low impact is the problem, this is why soccer players also suffer from CTE. CTE risk is highly prevalent among individuals have have sustained consistent head traumas. Low impact is part of that equation.

Yes we are making strides, but a lot we don't know. Football is just not a good environment for brains. Probably not soccer as well.

Impact with the ball in soccer is not low impact if you've ever played. Collisions are also a problem.

Soft helmets and/or soft helmet shells should have been a requirement in all levels of football from youth to professional decades ago. Bottom line. The technology has been available for that long. And it helps a lot.

I seem to remember watching an episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel on HBO about CTE and brain damage quite a while ago. They followed a few retired small time athletes from boxing, football, etc. All of them had various degrees of brain issues. Loss of memory, pain, uncontrollable anger, etc. They interviewed them prior to and after treatments of LSD by a shaman. The positive results for these guys were amazing. I believe there are universities that are doing similar studies now.

Reactions: kkhawk
Tyler Sash was found to have an extraordinarily high level of CTE when he died in September, 2015, at age 27.

The NY Times reported that Sash dealt with "confusion, memory loss and minor fits of temper" that affected his ability to find meaningful employment after he was released by the NY Giants in 2013.

This is a really good 7 minute video:

Story from ESPN:

Tyler Sash was found to have an extraordinarily high level of CTE when he died in September, 2015, at age 27.

The NY Times reported that Sash dealt with "confusion, memory loss and minor fits of temper" that affected his ability to find meaningful employment after he was released by the NY Giants in 2013.

This is a really good 7 minute video:

Story from ESPN:

That's just sad. Nothing can do to fix it either.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT