ADVERTISEMENT

Jan 19, 1993. Watch TWO FULL GAMES where Chris Street/Iowa played in the 1992 NCAA Tournament

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Jan 19, 1993: the day we lost Christopher Michael Street.

February 2nd is Chris' birthday. He would have been 46 on Feb 2, 2018.

Video of Chris Street is rare.

Here is a chance to watch TWO FULL GAMES where Chris Street/Iowa played in the 1992 NCAA tournament. As you know, 10 months later Chris would die in a car accident.

GAME #1: Note there are at least 9 segments in this first round game vs Texas; in the first segment, Chris Street scored 7 of Iowa's first 14 pts; when the first segment ends, click on segment 2; continue doing this until the games's conclusion:

GAME #2: The next game in the 1992 NCAA tournament was vs #1 seed Duke; Iowa trailed by 24 at the half and by as many as 26 but made a crazy comeback in the 2nd half to get the Duke lead down to 8 points with 8:30 to go; you can watch that game (and Chris Street) here:

Hope you enjoy these games. Hard to believe Chris has been gone longer than he was alive.

Last edited:
Here is a cool video of:

* The ending of the Michigan game (Iowa's 1st home game after Chris' death)
* The retirement of Chris' number prior to the Indiana game.
* CBS's Pat O'Brien with some Michigan pregame thoughts on Chris Street.

Look at how close fans were along the baseline; CHA looked a lot more intimidating during that time.

Link:

Last edited:
Went straight to part 9, and could not believe Skinner was in there pretty much the whole game. We had 3 guys who scored in the 20's, Acie, Barnes and Moses, but just watching that again and seeing Skinner floored me. Don't ever really remember him getting significant playing time. Especially looking at some of the guys we had on the bench. Strange.

Went straight to part 9, and could not believe Skinner was in there pretty much the whole game. We had 3 guys who scored in the 20's, Acie, Barnes and Moses, but just watching that again and seeing Skinner floored me. Don't ever really remember him getting significant playing time. Especially looking at some of the guys we had on the bench. Strange.

Watch the Duke game, Smith was brutal. Must of had 10 TOs. I remembered him being better than that.

Skinner did get dunked on both games but picked up the charge both times, pretty funny.

Its odd to see how much the game has changed, everyone is open from 3 the whole game lol. Lots of tough off balance mid range shots no body takes anymore.

Last edited:
People remember certain newsworthy events during their lives pretty well I think. For instance, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters, John Lennon getting shot, Armstrong landing on the moon, 9/11, Nixon resigning, etc...

I recall exactly where I was when I heard Street had passed.

Its odd to see how much the game has changed, everyone is open from 3 the whole game lol. Lots of tough off balance mid range shots no body takes anymore.

It's amazing watching old games and see how 3 pointers were treated and how defense was played. Showing players catching the ball inside the 3 point line and not shooting is funny now.

Still remember that huge run Iowa went on in Greensboro in the 2nd half against Duke. It’s about and hour and 6 mins in on the vid. Street going crazy when coach K finally calls a TO

Reactions: dean_oliver222
1991 NCAA tournament game against E. Tenn. St. Skinner had 14 points. 4-4 from 3 point line. 2-2 from free throw line. I took my son out of kindergarten that day to go with me to game at Minneapolis. Great time. Iowa did beat E. Tenn. St. and Mr. Jennings. I believe LSU and Shaq were also in Minneapolis.

It's amazing watching old games and see how 3 pointers were treated and how defense was played. Showing players catching the ball inside the 3 point line and not shooting is funny now.

It really is strange to see because the athleticism is the same and guys were plenty capable of shooting 3s but it just hadnt occured to enough people yet.

Some of the shots they were hitting were really difficult too, more difficult than an open 3 for sure.

Ball handling was also allot different, i imagine allot of todays moves would be whistled for carries then.

Untill you actually watch an old game you dont realize how much its changed because its been gradual.

I started watching those games and couldn't stop. I find that stuff fascinating.

1991 NCAA tournament game against E. Tenn. St. Skinner had 14 points. 4-4 from 3 point line. 2-2 from free throw line. I took my son out of kindergarten that day to go with me to game at Minneapolis. Great time. Iowa did beat E. Tenn. St. and Mr. Jennings. I believe LSU and Shaq were also in Minneapolis.
Wow! Now there's a name I haven't heard in awhile!

Reactions: dean_oliver222
It really is strange to see because the athleticism is the same and guys were plenty capable of shooting 3s but it just hadnt occured to enough people yet.

Some of the shots they were hitting were really difficult too, more difficult than an open 3 for sure.

Ball handling was also allot different, i imagine allot of todays moves would be whistled for carries then.

Untill you actually watch an old game you dont realize how much its changed because its been gradual.

I started watching those games and couldn't stop. I find that stuff fascinating.

Here's a fun one with Iowa vs UTEP (and Tim Hardaway). Fascinating to see what you are mentioning about how the game has changed.

Jan 19, 1993.

28 years ago.

February 2nd is Chris' birthday. He would have been 49 years old on Feb 2, 2021.

They brought this up during Sunday's game at Northwestern.

Check this out & Watch:

chris-street2.jpg

Last edited:
Always liked James Moses. Watched a game "way back when". He hit a jumper and the announcer screamed, "Moses!!!" :)

There were some good players on that 1992 team.

Along with Chris Street, there were these 2 players, which are in the Top 25 on the All Time Scoring List.

#4 Acie Earl...1,779 (4 yrs: 1990-1993, 116 GP, .508 FG%,, 15.3 ppg; 2 three pt goals)

# 21 James Moses...1,343 (4 yrs: 1989-1992, 123 GP, .398 FG%,, 10.9 ppg; 109 three pt goals)

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Jan 19, 1993.

28 years ago.

February 2nd is Chris' birthday. He would have been 49 years old on Feb 2, 2021.

They brought this up during Sunday's game at Northwestern.

Check this out & Watch:

chris-street2.jpg

That's really cool. I didn't know Kenyon named his son after Chris Street. Back in those days, I remember Billy Packer, Gary Bender, Tim Brant, Verne Lundquist, among others calling the games. It may have been Gary Bender who yelled "Moses!" 😀 Don't know for sure. Memory getting bad lol.

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
Today marks 28 years.

If you have never seen Chris play (or its been a while), check out the original post for 2 full games.

He was a great one, gone too soon.

Reactions: Ronman
1992 Duke game showed Cherokee Parks from Duke. He played HS ball out here at Marina HS in Huntington Beach (btw, Lute Olson used to coach there way way back in the day)

I remember several years ago at a sushi restaurant and seeing a very tall, tattooed dude strolling through the door. I noticed he was wearing a Vancouver Grizzlies jersey with “Parks” on the back. I thought, that’s odd …who would want an authentic Cherokee Parks jersey?

turns out, none other than …

Seriously, how many NBA players wear their own jersey out in public?

People remember certain newsworthy events during their lives pretty well I think. For instance, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters, John Lennon getting shot, Armstrong landing on the moon, 9/11, Nixon resigning, etc...

B.J. landed on the moon? Who else knew about that?

Hard to believe this much time has passed. I was a student at Iowa State and worked as a sports editor for the ISU Daily... That year I went to Iowa City to cover the Iowa/ISU game in mid December ... I remember standing by Street with other reporters ... Such a gentle human being ... Little did I (or any of us) know he would be gone a little more than a month later...

It's used so often, but he was taken too soon. I remember all of the emotions felt by the entire state as we all said goodbye to one of our own. The emotions of that time period are still sort of like a bandaid to me ... The "wound" still feels fresh ... especially this time of year.

I graduated high school with Wade Lookingbill ... That was a special team, and to see the fight and determination in the Michigan/MSU games is something I will never forget ...

Yes indeed ... I was living in Ames and attending school when I saw a scrolling message on the screen, and soon ESPN cut into its broadcast ... Never, ever will forget that moment ... I remember calling my Dad right after and we both we doing like the rest of us ... shaking our heads that this can't be real ...

Yes indeed ... I was living in Ames and attending school when I saw a scrolling message on the screen, and soon ESPN cut into its broadcast ... Never, ever will forget that moment ... I remember calling my Dad right after and we both we doing like the rest of us ... shaking our heads that this can't be real ...
watch some of the video in the orig post; its amazing how the game has changed

and its crazy how Chis would be approaching 50 years old but we will always remember him as that 21 year old

To this day I don't know how Tom Davis & Mike and Patty Street got thru that; it was so devastating

watch some of the video in the orig post; its amazing how the game has changed

and its crazy how Chis would be approaching 50 years old but we will always remember him as that 21 year old

To this day I don't know how Tom Davis & Mike and Patty Street got thru that; it was so devastating
Yes, crazy to think he would be approaching 50 ... And agree 100 ... can't imagine how the Streets and Coach managed through that devastating period ...

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT