ADVERTISEMENT

Watching 1993 Iowa vs Michigan

It was amazing how active and energized the Hawks were in that game. Davis could really light a fire under his guys.

Reactions: littlez
Nobody should need a coach to light a fire, especially at this level with all that's at stake. Energy and effort can accomplish more in basketball than any other sport. There is no excuse whatsoever for not bringin' everything you have every second you're on the floor. I hope the Hawkeyes have figured that out by now because that's how they got beat by Michigan in Iowa City . . . lack of energy and effort. That appears to have been an anomaly, so I'm looking for an Iowa win in Ann Arbor, largely because the Hawkeyes will want it even more than the Wolverines.

That team was a juggernaut in the paint. I remember them at one point leading the nation in rebounding margin, something close to +20 per game. IMO all that team was missing (aside from Street) was a BJ or Andre Woolridge at PG as well as a 2nd scorer in the backcourt alongside Barnes, and they'd have been arguably the best team in the country.

The early 90s at PG were the era of Troy Skinner, Kevin Smith and Mon'Ter Glasper. Ooof.

Didn't Glasper play professionally in Iceland after college? I remember the old Voice of the Hawkeyes newspaper would have articles about former players and a couple that stand out were "Monter Glasper is the Michael Jordan of Iceland" and "Andre Woolridge is the Michael Jordan of Turkey." As a kid, I always thought it was spectacular that our former Hawkeyes had become the greatest players of all time in foreign lands. As I got older I realized that it might have been a little bit of hype mixed with some spin, but several have had great careers overseas.

Reactions: RocknRollface
That team was a juggernaut in the paint. I remember them at one point leading the nation in rebounding margin, something close to +20 per game. IMO all that team was missing (aside from Street) was a BJ or Andre Woolridge at PG as well as a 2nd scorer in the backcourt alongside Barnes, and they'd have been arguably the best team in the country.

The early 90s at PG were the era of Troy Skinner, Kevin Smith and Mon'Ter Glasper. Ooof.
Both Glasper and Smith had plenty of good minutes. Not great players but certainly serviceable.

Didn't Glasper play professionally in Iceland after college? I remember the old Voice of the Hawkeyes newspaper would have articles about former players and a couple that stand out were "Monter Glasper is the Michael Jordan of Iceland" and "Andre Woolridge is the Michael Jordan of Turkey." As a kid, I always thought it was spectacular that our former Hawkeyes had become the greatest players of all time in foreign lands. As I got older I realized that it might have been a little bit of hype mixed with some spin, but several have had great careers overseas.
I did not realize that about Glasper but am having trouble finding info on it. Maybe time is dulling my memories, but it didn't seem like he was overly effective for us in his college days.

If he had good career overseas after college, that's cool.

Both Glasper and Smith had plenty of good minutes. Not great players but certainly serviceable.
Yes - but I'm saying replace that with someone like BJ or Andre on that 1992-93 team and we're probably talking Final Four caliber (IMO).

That Iowa team also had Acie Earl in the middle. This years team is lacking that height and If Iowa gets behind by 10 or more points, we have no one to stop anyone at the rim....easy baskets for anyone attacking our defense.
The only chance Iowa has to win this game is to grab the lead early and make them score from outside and with Dickinson and Diabate that will be hard to do. I just hope Michigan wears down as the game gets into the second half. Fingers crossed....

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
That Iowa team also had Acie Earl in the middle. This years team is lacking that height and If Iowa gets behind by 10 or more points, we have no one to stop anyone at the rim....easy baskets for anyone attacking our defense.
The only chance Iowa has to win this game is to grab the lead early and make them score from outside and with Dickinson and Diabate that will be hard to do. I just hope Michigan wears down as the game gets into the second half. Fingers crossed....

Yes, Earl's defensive presence (shot blocking) was nice to have. Davis also had him back on the tail end of the press if/when the first wave of the press got beat. I believe Earl was Big 10 defensive player of the year at least once if not more.

That was the Chris Street year, correct? If so that was a legit elite 8 final 4 team w/him. We battled Duke at Duke if I remember correctly down to the last 2-3 minutes that year. Earl and Street on the same front line along w/bringing Millard off the bench? And when Val Barnes got hot he could light it up.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
And a young Freshman by the name of Kenyon Murray. Plus James Winters. Damn.

I did not realize that about Glasper but am having trouble finding info on it. Maybe time is dulling my memories, but it didn't seem like he was overly effective for us in his college days.

If he had good career overseas after college, that's cool.
The only thing I remember about Glasper (seriously) is that he's the guy the gorilla dude ran into on the court....

Reactions: TheRealHerky
ADVERTISEMENT