ADVERTISEMENT

Water Useage: How many gallons do you use a month?

Herkmeister

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
Mrs. Herk and I use over 25,000 gallons a month which seems damn high to me.

Just curious about what others use and how many people are in your house.

(For you guys who visit Mrs. Herk, we ask that you start showering when you get home.):mad::confused:

We use on average 14-16,000 gallons. It’s a lot more this month cause of the no rain. Watering the yard uses a lot of water!

Reactions: Herkmeister
Not as much since we stopped using hot water.

hqdefault.jpg

(For you guys who visit Mrs. Herk, we ask that you start showering when you get home.):mad::confused:
If you don't have an irrigation system and/or a pool that is pretty high. We averaged 6,100 in the last 12 months, and 7,200 in the 12 months previous to that. We do not have an irrigation system, however. We do not have a pool yet, either. This is for a family of 4 with a teenager and a tween.

If you don't have an irrigation system and/or a pool that is pretty high. We averaged 6,100 in the last 12 months, and 7,200 in the 12 months previous to that. We do not have an irrigation system, however. We do not have a pool yet, either. This is for a family of 4 with a teenager and a tween.

Having a pool shouldn't increase your monthly usage, other than when you fill it. Once that's done, you don't typically add more other than in periods of drought.
We've had a pool for 20+ years; I'd guess I've added water less than once a year on average (granted, it generally rains a lot in Florida so I'm sure places that get less rain would have to add more frequently).

Over the past year, the average is about 5,600. The highest month was 6,440. I do not have a pool. My washing machine is front loader and I do not have an irrigation system for my lawn. There are 5 people in my household.

Having a pool shouldn't increase your monthly usage, other than when you fill it. Once that's done, you don't typically add more other than in periods of drought.
We've had a pool for 20+ years; I'd guess I've added water less than once a year on average (granted, it generally rains a lot in Florida so I'm sure places that get less rain would have to add more frequently).

In Arizona we added water almost every 2-3 days to the pool before we rebuilt it and added an auto fill.

Well I'm not speaking from experience. I read that for an averaged sized pool you lose 25,000 to 50,000 gallons a year due to evaporation. It obviously lower if you a pool cover on when not using, you get a lot of rain, you don't have a lot of wind, and/or there is a lot of humidity in the air.

In Arizona we added water almost every 2-3 days to the pool before we rebuilt it and added an auto fill.

Yeah, I can see where it would be dependent on climate. If you live in a desert, you probably have to refill frequently. That has to be where that evaporation average comes from - no way it's that high in Florida. I'm sure I've drained water from ours more frequently than I've added - though I'm hesitant to do either.

Interesting. You don't live that far from me. In the winter when it is more of a dry season, I have to add water to the pool twice a month or so.

Holy Shit, herk! My swimming pool holds 19,.600 gallons! :eek:
You sure you have the comma in the right place? I'd get that prostate of yours checked, too! :D

Holy Shit, herk! My swimming pool holds 19,.600 gallons! :eek:
You sure you have the comma in the right place? I'd get that prostate of yours checked, too! :D

I went back a checked. We average over 22,000 gallons. Those big 18 wheel gas semi trailers hold 9,000 gallons. We're using 2.5 of those a month. No pool, never use the jacuzzi, don't water the lawn.

I need to check what's going on. How many gallons do you guys use?

Unless you have a big irrigation system counted in that, that is an enormous amount of water for a household. You probably have a leak.

I went back a checked. We average over 22,000 gallons. Those big 18 wheel gas semi trailers hold 9,000 gallons. We're using 2.5 of those a month. No pool, never use the jacuzzi, don't water the lawn.

14 gallons a month....we flush the stools on the 23rd of the month.
I have no idea...but the bill is about $60/month...but I dont know what is all included in my "water bill." I have only been here 27 years....my bride is the company bookkeeper.

14 gallons a month....we flush the stools on the 23rd of the month.
I have no idea...but the bill is about $60/month...but I dont know what is all included in my "water bill." I have only been here 27 years....my bride is the company bookkeeper.
but then herk...."Urbandale water" is some of the finest water on God's green earth.

You have to have a leak unless someone is using your hose and stealing tanks of water at night while you're sleeping. I feel like we're a pretty wasteful family with how many long hot showers we take, how many loads of laundry we do, etc. And we're using less than 1/3 as you.

We use between 6,000 and 7,000 gallons per month. We have 5 kids and the 2 of us. No pool and won’t water the lawn.

You have to have a leak unless someone is using your hose and stealing tanks of water at night while you're sleeping. I feel like we're a pretty wasteful family with how many long hot showers we take, how many loads of laundry we do, etc. And we're using less than 1/3 as you.

Just called the utilities. For sure we have a leak. Has to be a toilet, the washing machine, the water softener, or the refrigerator. My guess is the softener and the washing machine. I know the washing machine leaks, but I don't think it's that bad.

I'm gonna get the little lady a new washer today. Hopeful it will fix the stains in a few of my garments. :confused:

Reactions: joelbc1
My guess is you have a leak outside. Surely if it was the toilet, you'd hear it continuing to run well after you flush (a continuation of the sound of the bowl refilling, which is basically what is happening with a typical toilet leak - the flapper doesn't close properly, so water just keeps flowing through it). If your washing machine or icemaker was leaking that much, you'd have huge puddles in the kitchen or laundry room.

Interesting. You don't live that far from me. In the winter when it is more of a dry season, I have to add water to the pool twice a month or so.

Ideal level on my pool setup is for the water level to be 2 to 3 inches above the skimmer. In rainy season I'll let it get higher & things still work fine. In dry season I'll let it get lower, and only refill if it gets to the point that it's barely above the skimmer.

So I happened to get my water bill in the mail today. Family of 4, our total usage for the month was 11,000. Last year for the same month it was only 3,000. We did a major landscaping project in the spring that included installing an irrigation system in the front yard (covers both the yard and the plants).

Just called the utilities. For sure we have a leak. Has to be a toilet, the washing machine, the water softener, or the refrigerator. My guess is the softener and the washing machine. I know the washing machine leaks, but I don't think it's that bad.

I'm gonna get the little lady a new washer today. Hopeful it will fix the stains in a few of my garments. :confused:
We had a line breach from the meter to the house...didn't know it until the bill came though the pressure seemed a little low. The bill was....very large. Like ten times more than normal. They cut it in half when we furnished proof of the repair. It was still...very large.

Turned out we had polybutylene pipe from the meter to the house. It was the subject of a class action lawsuit back in the 90's. We missed out on that settlement but more importantly they didn't continue using it through the house...that's all copper. Had they used the polybutylene inside we would likely be leaking like a sieve everywhere and we would be on the hook for replacing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT