ADVERTISEMENT

Way around Kirk Buyout

ChuckBarkley

HR All-State
Jul 7, 2002
- Because of the nepotism rule Brian legally works for Gary.
- Gary fires Brian
- Kirk gets pissed off and decides to retire (or quit). We owe Kirk nothing

Now, the second question is …do we really trust Barta to hire a new coach. If Kirk decides to stay I’m sure that would sour the relationship with Gary - but I don’t care this is a multi-billion $ business and you can’t be friends with everyone.

I realize Gary doesn’t have the nuts to do this but it is an option.

- Gary fires Brian

Now, the second question is …do we really trust Barta to hire a new coach. If Kirk decides to stay I’m sure that would sour the relationship with Gary - but I don’t care this is a multi-billion $ business and you can’t be friends with everyone.

Firing Brian Ferentz should not be optional. It has to be done. There is no way around that.

If Kirk resigns in protest, even better, but the Brian Ferentz experiment is an abject failure and needs ended immediately.

I’d be surprised if it comes to that. Barta is the AD and “in charge” of Brian if Barta says it’s time for a change at OC to Kirk Barta has every right to do that cause of the nepotism rule/law whatever it is. Kirk could retire cause of it but I doubt it.

This would probably only work if it comes from the president of the university, who was not involved in allowing the hire of Brian Ferentz. She could review the case, find the original decision to have been incorrect and the hiring a violation of university policy. Brian could be offered an opportunity to agree and resign, or, if he refuses, Barta could be ordered to fire him and give the same deal to Kirk as the instigator of the whole mess. President Barbara Wilson has a history of getting rid of an athletic director at Illinois.

Reactions: rsigmundi
What I think may happen...O-Line coach gets fired, Brain claims to take one for the team and goes back to coaching O-Line. Kirk hires another OC (one that'll toe the line to what Kirk wants) ......Barta doesn't have to force the issue nor fire anyone, Brian still has a job and is still in the wings for when Kirk retires to take over as HC ......similar to the original plan but with a twist .....and it'll happen if Barta is still the AD.

- Gary fires Brian

Everybody knows this is obviously the way forward and yet our AD can't do it. Where are the grown ups in Iowa City.

Reactions: JLDHAWK
Everybody knows this is obviously the way forward and yet our AD can't do it. Where are the grown ups in Iowa City.
Where's the President in all this? Barbara Wilson and University legal council should be all over Barta on this one.

The problem isn't $$$. The athletic dept has plenty through the massive tv contracts in addition to the $$$ some donors would probably be willing to add in. And as with what we saw with the Wisconsin purge... there are likely ways around Iowa paying the entire buyout.

It just comes down to Barta having the balls to do it.

IMO, it's no longer about Barta having the "balls" to do it.

The last couple of years the team was piling up W's, including a division championship. Now the Hawks are losing to rivals.

The job of AD at a University is supposed to be different than a GM. From the perspective of the UofI, things were dam good.

Now, inaction by Barta is dereliction of duty.

BTW - what exactly is Barta supposedly afraid of? KF getting mad?

This would probably only work if it comes from the president of the university, who was not involved in allowing the hire of Brian Ferentz. She could review the case, find the original decision to have been incorrect and the hiring a violation of university policy. Brian could be offered an opportunity to agree and resign, or, if he refuses, Barta could be ordered to fire him and give the same deal to Kirk as the instigator of the whole mess. President Barbara Wilson has a history of getting rid of an athletic director at
Where's the President in all this? Barbara Wilson and University legal council should be all over Barta on this one.
Whats President Wilson's salary, a mil a year?

Firing Brian Ferentz should not be optional. It has to be done. There is no way around that.

If Kirk resigns in protest, even better, but the Brian Ferentz experiment is an abject failure and needs ended immediately.
From the sounds of the rumblings he knows he’s gone - I wish him the best of luck ****ing up someone else’s team but not anymore here in Iowa .. honestly I do wish him the best and Malay likely he will be back next year - I would wear a bulletproof vest if I were him if in fact he comes back — another slap to the face is Petras smiling saying “I will be back for my COVID year so **** all of you and get ready for the ultimate disaster” MUDDDA ****KKAS! “Ouch”

Barta should be fired for not holding Brian to the same level as the volleyball coach that he fired mid season last year. I can’t believe the progressives in IC aren’t all over him for the double standard of firing a black female and not a white male. He set the precedence for a mid season firing and now won’t do it with even more deserving person in BF with a last place offense in the nation, not just the B1G like Vicki Brown had.

If you fire Barta or he decides to retire prior to being fired then the new AD solves all the issues and brings in his coaches to solve the issue of new football staff by firing BF then telling Kf it’s time to either get the best coaches you can or retire.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Barta should be fired for not holding Brian to the same level as the volleyball coach that he fired mid season last year. I can’t believe the progressives in IC aren’t all over him for the double standard of firing a black female and not a white male. He set the precedence for a mid season firing and now won’t do it with even more deserving person in BF with a last place offense in the nation, not just the B1G like Vicki Brown had.

If you fire Barta or he decides to retire prior to being fired then the new AD solves all the issues and brings in his coaches to solve the issue of new football staff by firing BF then telling Kf it’s time to either get the best coaches you can or retire.
The success of Iowa Football has been outstanding and sustained. Volleyball cannot say the same. It’s not reasonable to even compare the two situation. Race has nothing to do with it.

- Gary fires Brian
IMO this may be what happens but this will all be settled behind the scenes. The Athletic Department isn't going to give off the appearance that there's internal turmoil. Hiring a new FB coach would be one of the biggest decisions for athletics in the last 20 years and they will want to make things look clean.

- Gary fires Brian

I have said before that if UI loses the court case next spring, there's no way Iowa can retain Brian, or Seth Wallace for that matter. How would Kirk react to that? I'm guessing he would lose faith in many things, and in protest, wouldn't be one bit surprised to see him walk away.

As for Barta, if he's the AD at a time there's a new HC needed then obviously we have to play that hand. Do I trust him on the next hire? I'd say I would have low confidence with him. I do think though Barta retires when his current contract expires in June, 2024-- so this sports year and next.

The success of Iowa Football has been outstanding and sustained. Volleyball cannot say the same. It’s not reasonable to even compare the two situation. Race has nothing to do with it.
Barta set the standard for a mid season firing so you can’t say it can’t be done. He just isn’t doing because BF is related to the head coach. Any other coach would be fired in that situation.

There is basically zero chance Kirk retires. But, sure, keep dreaming up scenarios that "force" him to retire.

My biggest dream is Brian quietly accepts an NFL assistant TE coaching job in January. About a 5% chance of that.

Kirk has earned enough good will to stick around. Brian has not. There in lies the rub. It takes an AD with balls to have a sit down with Kirk and tell him the change has to be made. Barta gives Kirk the opportunity to do it himself to save face.

If Kirk refuses and plays the "if he goes, I go" card, he's clearly shown his priorities are out of whack. Barta then says "That's not what we want but if that's your choice, OK."

Kirk has earned enough good will to stick around. Brian has not. There in lies the rub. It takes an AD with balls to have a sit down with Kirk and tell him the change has to be made. Barta gives Kirk the opportunity to do it himself to save face.

If Kirk refuses and plays the "if he goes, I go" card, he's clearly shown his priorities are out of whack. Barta then says "That's not what we want but if that's your choice, OK."
Stop blaming Barta. That’s chicken shit. If KF thinks a change is needed then he will see it’s made. Kirk needs to step up and hasn’t and just as the Cleveland reporter mentioned, he’s out the entire program at risk by not so far.

Stop blaming Barta. That’s chicken shit. If KF thinks a change is needed then he will see it’s made. Kirk needs to step up and hasn’t and just as the Cleveland reporter mentioned, he’s out the entire program at risk by not so far.
Athletic Director...would seem to be a "the buck stops here" kind of position. I agree Kirk needs to step up. His boss (as least on paper) should be pushing him to do that. Barta should say exactly what you said...Kirk, You're putting the entire program at risk.

Of course we know that's not gonna happen...Barta is a paper pusher.

ADVERTISEMENT