ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early Top 25

obfuscating

HR Heisman
Jan 8, 2016
Top 5 are the usual, ISU sneaks in at #8 and Iowa a #12. Iowa has a tough opening gate.

12. Iowa Hawkeyes
Iowa is going to have to come out swinging with Indiana as the first game on the schedule, followed by Iowa State. Northwestern, Penn State, Maryland and Wisconsin sprinkled throughout the rest of the season, making it a challenge. Quarterback Spencer Petras and leading rusher Tyler Goodson are both returning, but the offense loses receivers Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith. If the offense can build on some of the momentum it built later in the season, especially with Goodson, who averaged 9.6 yards per carry against Wisconsin, it will have a shot to start on the right foot with wins against Indiana and Iowa State. The staff is going to need playmakers to step up at receiver to help Petras and give the offense a better attack through the air to balance out the ground game. -- VanHaaren

We need at least an average QB if we are going to rise above 8-4.
Petras has had his audition. Time to look elsewhere.
Iowa may have changed some of their same old gimmicks recently but Kirk doesn’t switch qbs until they graduate. Stuck with Petras.

Reactions: obfuscating
By the time Kirk realizes Petras is bum and is forced to replace him, the '21 season will probably be half over and there will be no shot at a division/conf title.

Petras needs to improve dramatically and be sharp from the very first snap of the season, teams will be stacking the box to stop Goodson ...that much is a given.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
By the time Kirk realizes Petras is bum and is forced to replace him, the '21 season will probably be half over and there will be no shot at a division/conf title.

Petras needs to improve dramatically and be sharp from the very first snap of the season, teams will be stacking the box to stop Goodson ...that much is a given.
I would guess it is insulting to a majority of Hawk fans on this board that you would call a 20 year old kid a bum. But hey, you be you.

I would guess it is insulting to a majority of Hawk fans on this board that you would call a 20 year old kid a bum. But hey, you be you.
I'm sure he's a nice enough kid and appears to act like a great leader ...but his in-game performance was pretty 'bum' worthy.

Compared to how highly ranked he was and how high expectations were for him, he currently isn't anywhere near it. It's obvious we're in Jake Christensen (worst case) or Dan McGwire (best case) territory with him. Hope he proves me wrong and ends up closer to Chuck Long.

Not everyone is easily offended - have some grace with people on what they post, what and how you read\interpret it may not have been its intent.

If you’ve read his past posting history you know what he meant. He called him a bum. I’m sure he meant it respectfully however. Teams have been stacking the box against us as long as Kirk has been coaching. Let’s give Petras a full year of hopefully a normal offseason if he struggles then we could be in trouble. Still think we are a much better team than IU to start the season.

If you’ve read his past posting history you know what he meant. He called him a bum. I’m sure he meant it respectfully however. Teams have been stacking the box against us as long as Kirk has been coaching. Let’s give Petras a full year of hopefully a normal offseason if he struggles then we could be in trouble. Still think we are a much better team than IU to start the season.
Who is behind him that has experience? KF may not change QB's almost "never" but KF does "most" of the time seem to wait far to long to inject new blood for what seems to be fear of hurting starting QBs feelings. To get the backups experience you have to roll up points, and quick.

So explain exactly what you want Kirk to do here. Give Padilla series every half? Will that satisfy you? Teams that are constantly changing QB’s in most cases can’t find a good one and also are probably losing. Whether you want to give Petras credit for the 6 wins in a row or not he was the QB. Seems most on here want to pin the losses on him but the wins were because of the running game and defense.

So explain exactly what you want Kirk to do here. Give Padilla series every half? Will that satisfy you? Teams that are constantly changing QB’s in most cases can’t find a good one and also are probably losing. Whether you want to give Petras credit for the 6 wins in a row or not he was the QB. Seems most on here want to pin the losses on him but the wins were because of the running game and defense.
Step 1 for me: Bring outside, unexpected, competition into the QB room. NOW. If SP wins that battle, good for him.

Step 2: When you get a chance to put your foot on someone's throat dont run the ball and get to the end of the game. Beat thier ass and get backups in.

Toward the end of this fall, we need to repost this so we can see how damn dumb it really was.

I'm sure he's a nice enough kid and appears to act like a great leader ...but his in-game performance was pretty 'bum' worthy.

Compared to how highly ranked he was and how high expectations were for him, he currently isn't anywhere near it. It's obvious we're in Jake Christensen (worst case) or Dan McGwire (best case) territory with him. Hope he proves me wrong and ends up closer to Chuck Long.

DUMB

Reactions: littlez
Toward the end of this fall, we need to repost this so we can see how damn dumb it really was.

I invite you to do so, so I can tell you "I told you so".

Really, what do you expect to happen? That a 4th year college QB will suddenly be able to throw an accurate 10 yard pass, will be able to buy time in the pocket for receivers to get open, will be able to run 4 yards for a 1st down, will have vision of the entire field instead of locking onto one receiver, will be able to make quick and good decisions? What do you expect him to do that will make a difference in a game we would not have otherwise won?

It's fine to be optimistic, but you need a visit to Realville.

Last edited:

I don't even know what you're talking about, do you? An offseason at Iowa (with QBs wearing red jerseys while scrimmaging) does nothing to improve accuracy under pressure, decision-making, escapeability, .....all of the things he lacks. Unfortunately, those conditions also make it impossible to get an accurate assessment of anyone else.

"If he struggles...."? If he struggles when? Not in spring practice because he won't be tested as explained above. In the first couple of games? So you think we should risk another season by screwing up the first two games again?

The biggest goal this past season should have been finding out what we had among the QBs. Some skills can be developed, others not so much. Only candidates possessing the skills that don't lend themselves to development should be considered viable candidates. It wouldn't have taken much playing time to check out the others. But we were grossly negligent by not doing it. Because of that lack of foresight, what we will get is "he's the only one with any experience" and another 8-4 season with an underperforming QB. And no, I don't think we are better than IU if we have an underperforming QB. The position is even more critical than most realize. The impact of an average QB over an underperforming one is greater than having a 1st team AA on the other side.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Don’t you guys think if we actually had a better QB he would be out there? I don’t disagree he wasn’t great this year. Or even very good. You guys refuse to admit however that this was a year unlike any we have ever had. Ever. As a developmental program you don’t think no Spring ball, no Summer workouts, etc would have helped Petras? Even a few games against a MAC school and UNI? You refuse to admit any of this. Sounds like you have already decided that next season is a wash. That’s to bad. Even 8-4 is no good. Look, we all want 10-2, 11-1. Let’s see how it goes before we toss him under the bus, though I think you already have.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Step 1 for me: Bring outside, unexpected, competition into the QB room. NOW. If SP wins that battle, good for him.

Step 2: When you get a chance to put your foot on someone's throat dont run the ball and get to the end of the game. Beat thier ass and get backups in.
What about if you're up 17-0 and start chucking all over and then end up losing the game?

To say again, the two Jakes might disagree on never changing QBs.

One Ferentz firmament is a strong aversion to playing freshmen QBs. Even guys like Stanzi, Stanley, Tate, Rudock and Beathard played only scratch duty as freshmen. So, with that in mind, how many times has KF had a reason to change QBs.

Not Nate Stanley-last seen on the Vikings practice squad. Not CJ Beathard-last seen starting in the NFL. Did dump Rudock after two starting seasons, last seen on an NFL roster and in the midst of a this kind of season the year he was benched.

*2014IowaBig TenJRQB1221334561.724367.17.3165

That was changing from one good college quarterback with a NFL future for another. Rudock still has the 10th most career passing yards in Iowa history, one notch below CJ.

James Vandenberg had a bad season senior year but junior year had one of the best seasons in Iowa quarterbacking history. How quick do you pull the trigger on a proven thrower like the Bear Hunter, in his senior season?

*2011IowaBig TenJRQB1323740458.730227.57.9257138.5

Should we have jumped to the unproven freshman Jake Rudock during the Bear Hunter's shitty senior year? Remember Ferentz haters, you were screaming to replace Rudock himself during a pretty good junior year. If he couldn't cut in his 3rd season what do you think would have happened as a completely unprepared freshman?

That takes us back to Ricky Stanzi. No thought of benching Ricky in 2010 and 2009 nor at any time after Ricky won the starting job two and a half games into his sophomore year. Jake's sophomore season was not "terrible" or, to paraphrase a previous poster, a "bum."

2007IowaBig TenSOQB1219837053.522696.16.3176116.9

Not great and the short armed throws were maddening but a 17/6 ratio is always good. Jake's good receivers were freshmen and the experienced receivers sucked as I recall. Giving the guy with the job the first shot in a quarterback competition is almost universal. Jake got the first shot and got beaten out by a better player after only a couple of games. Remember, Jake hung around that second half of the Pitt game cuz Ricky got benched.

Obviously no sane person was calling for Drew Tate to be replaced. That takes us all the way back to the QB Chandler. Possible that Drew Tate was already better as a true freshman but benching Chandler was not a popular sentiment much less a consensus of expert and lay opinion at the time.

Brad Banks was a no brainer in 2001. Not as a junior, although he made some great plays he also made brainless rookie mistakes. Ferentz is a play the probabilities guy so you know who's winning that job, the experienced player that made fewer mistakes.

The first two seasons were a scramble around McCann's injuries.

So, the point is pretty simple. There have been maybe three seasons in the last twenty where a reason existed to contemplate a quarterback change. Clearly the two most likely guys to jump the original starter, CJ and Ricky, did, in fact, replace the original starter in season, in only 2 and half games in Ricky's case. So when did you want to see a change that didn't happen before 2020? Where is this proven track record of irrational quarterbacking intransigence?

Last edited:
I think people don't realize how hard it is to be a QB and they don't listen to what Ferentz says about Petras. It's a lot more than hitting every open receiver. Look at some blue bloods with 4 & 5 star recruits, if their QB sucks and is turning the ball over you're not going to win no matter how many stud recruits you have.
Maybe you could say with Petras only completing about 57-58% of his passes that Iowa had some great coaching this year??? While Petras wasn't outstanding, he still led the team and they were scoring over 32 points per game. Plus that was all conference games, even more impressive!
Lastly, you have to be idiot if you think Ferentz won't ever make a change, doesn't want to win or doesn't want to give his team the best chance to win, whatever stereotype or old habit you want to label him with.

Reactions: Torg
There will be a shorter leash this year. Hogan and Padilla should get shots if
And it took an act of God for that to happen, oh sorry, you don't believe in God do you 😟
Most college coaches would have given Padilla some meaningful series last year. There were series that were just awful and needed a change. It's just business. This and clock management are 2 of Kirk's main downfalls over his tenure. Can't complain about much else with him as a coach though so will take what we got! Really hope if struggles continue next year that there is a shorter leash with 2 good recruits competing for time.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
This will be Petras's 4th year in the program. He's not some freshman who didn't have any "real" off seasons and we also had 3 bowl games he's prepared for. If he still sucks it up versus Indiana and Iowa State, it's time to move on.

Don’t you guys think if we actually had a better QB he would be out there? I don’t disagree he wasn’t great this year. Or even very good. You guys refuse to admit however that this was a year unlike any we have ever had. Ever. As a developmental program you don’t think no Spring ball, no Summer workouts, etc would have helped Petras? Even a few games against a MAC school and UNI? You refuse to admit any of this. Sounds like you have already decided that next season is a wash. That’s to bad. Even 8-4 is no good. Look, we all want 10-2, 11-1. Let’s see how it goes before we toss him under the bus, though I think you already have.
This will be his 4th year in the program. This tired excuse of "well there was no real offseason" is ridiculous. Petras practiced with Smith and Linderbaum all summer supposedly.

What about if you're up 17-0 and start chucking all over and then end up losing the game?

That's the tired excuse that's been used to not test other QBs for 22 years. Nothing is risk free, but we have proven that the much greater risk is to keep running a vanilla offense and let lesser teams hang around. That's why we lead the nation in loses when we are double digit favorites. It also establishes a
non-aggressive mindset which doesn't teach how to effectively come from behind when that requirement arises.

In general the staff doesn't have the foresight and insight to see that one problem leads to another, that leads to another. Inept offense ---> few substitutions----> less experience---> lower performance in later games/years. This is just one of many examples.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT