ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early Top 25

Iowa ranked 40th out of 127 teams with offense this year while competing only in the Big 10 at 31.8 ppg........ With a first year starter at QB.

In Stanley's senior year the ranked 80 out of 130........
In KF tenure, last year was the 3rd best PPG only behind years 2001, and 2002. About 6th best in rank also out of 21 years.

Not sure replacing Petras is a must. He deserves more time. 8 games with about 3-4 months total experience in practice and games as the man is not enough time.

FWIW, Banks is who lead better offenses than him. Perspective people.

Reactions: littlez
Iowa ranked 40th out of 127 teams with offense this year while competing only in the Big 10 at 31.8 ppg........ With a first year starter at QB.

In Stanley's senior year the ranked 80 out of 130........
In KF tenure, last year was the 3rd best PPG only behind years 2001, and 2002. About 6th best in rank also out of 21 years.

Not sure replacing Petras is a must. He deserves more time. 8 games with about 3-4 months total experience in practice and games as the man is not enough time.

FWIW, Banks is who lead better offenses than him. Perspective people.
Now rank the offense we had and the players we had other than petras compared to the previous 22 years. There MAY have been 1 team with more talent top to bottom. SP is the leader in the clubhouse but the hook should be short and swift if he starts ducking balls into the 10th row again against Indiana.

Now rank the offense we had and the players we had other than petras compared to the previous 22 years. There MAY have been 1 team with more talent top to bottom. SP is the leader in the clubhouse but the hook should be short and swift if he starts ducking balls into the 10th row again against Indiana.
What was the difference in offense between 2019 and 2020 regarding personel? Wirfs? IF anything 2019 was better offensively as a unit on the OL. Can you explain how in 8 games against the BIG SP was better than Stanley while stanley competed against Rutgers of 2019, Mid Tenn. State, and Miami of Ohio? BTW, We averaged only 38.6 ppg against that awesome talent in 2019.

Reactions: littlez
What was the difference in offense between 2019 and 2020 regarding personel? Wirfs? IF anything 2019 was better offensively as a unit on the OL. Can you explain how in 8 games against the BIG SP was better than Stanley while stanley competed against Rutgers of 2019, Mid Tenn. State, and Miami of Ohio? BTW, We averaged only 38.6 ppg against that awesome talent in 2019.

QBR for Stanley was 131 in 2019 where as SP was 119 in 2020, again against only Big teams.

What? Players play better as seniors... your post doesn't even make sense.

QBR for Stanley was 131 in 2019 where as SP was 119 in 2020, again against only Big teams.
You are picking a hell of a year to minimize playing iowa state. Correct. Spencer petras put up worse numbers while not having to play a salty ISU defense. Also 2019 b10 opponents:

RUT
@ #19 MICH
#10 PSU
PUR
NW
#13 WISC
#8 MN
ILL
@Neb.

@pur
NW
MSU
MN
PSU
Neb
I'll
Wisc

No your eyes do not deceive you one year we played 4 teams in the top 20 the other year we played 0.

Stanley put up better numbers against better competition. I'm not saying Petras should be better as a first year guy than nate after 3 but im not sure what exactly it is you are going for.

If the leash wasn't short this year what makes you think it will be next year?

You are picking a hell of a year to minimize playing iowa state. Correct. Spencer petras put up worse numbers while not having to play a salty ISU defense. Also 2019 b10 opponents:

RUT
@ #19 MICH
#10 PSU
PUR
NW
#13 WISC
#8 MN
ILL
@Neb.

@pur
NW
MSU
MN
PSU
Neb
I'll
Wisc

No your eyes do not deceive you one year we played 4 teams in the top 20 the other year we played 0.

Stanley put up better numbers against better competition. I'm not saying Petras should be better as a first year guy than nate after 3 but im not sure what exactly it is you are going for.

I am saying that SP is not done growing into the position. 8 games in work done from Oct-Dec as the only prep as a starter should not be all he gets. He should get at least 2-3 game next year and we will go from there.

I am saying that SP is not done growing into the position. 8 games in work done from Oct-Dec as the only prep as a starter should not be all he gets. He should get at least 2-3 game next year and we will go from there.
I think that is a very level headed approach. I do fear we are headed towards "we have to stick with SP, he is the only one with experience" though.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I think that is a very level headed approach. I do fear we are headed towards "we have to stick with SP, he is the only one with experience" though.
Also, he did improve and the offense did click in games with him in there for whatever reason. Illinois was where I went from cussing at the TV to being satisfied with his play. I am sure I am not the only one like that.

Also, he did improve and the offense did click in games with him in there for whatever reason. Illinois was where I went from cussing at the TV to being satisfied with his play. I am sure I am not the only one like that.
If his baseline for 21 becomes the 2nd half of Illinois and the 2nd half of Wisconsin you will see no complaints from me.

The first 2 games for SP 89 pass attempts 1 TD and 3 INTs

the last 6 he had a 58.9% completion rate with 6 TDs and 2 INTs, and his attempts were not over 30 in any of the games, so a more balanced attack of sorts. Minnesota he threw 18 attempts but only had a 50% completion rate that game, which brought him down below 60% during the win streak.

So explain exactly what you want Kirk to do here. Give Padilla series every half? Will that satisfy you? Teams that are constantly changing QB’s in most cases can’t find a good one and also are probably losing. Whether you want to give Petras credit for the 6 wins in a row or not he was the QB. Seems most on here want to pin the losses on him but the wins were because of the running game and defense.
Alabama has used 2, OSU has used 2, Clemson, etc...those teams win more than they lose.

Changing in mid game is somewhat risky. Bad snaps, offsides, motion violations are all the things that typically follow a midgame change. All the critics see are the hypothetical upside, because Alex has not shown anything to make anyone think he's better than Spencer. Alex might be better but there is no visible evidence to that effect. The critics can afford to trivialize the downside because its an academic question; but for the coaches its a very real question because they have to live with the downside. The coaches see them everyday so perhaps we should defer to the people that have seen both Alex and Spencer play since we haven't seen anything from Alex .

Now, 2021 will be a different proposition. Surely this covid hysteria will begin to quiet, although we're hearing from Democrats the continued need for highly limited contact and masks may never end so there is the possibility of banning spring and summer camps. Considering that risk unlikely, Spencer will have the full benefit of winter film study, whatever workouts are allowed in the off season and spring and summer camp, plus 8 starts, the level of play we saw this year will not be acceptable next season and I'm betting there was probably a fairly frank conversation to that effect at the end of the season.

My sort of semi informed guess is Hogan passes Alex, Alex transfers down for PT and Hogan jumps Spencer if we see the kind of mental errors and wild throws we saw last season.

But....every season a lot of us make a wildcard kind of prediction. Mine for 2021 is the wildest yet. Joey Labas finishes the season as the starter. It goes against almost every Kirk Ferentz tendency. You can tell from his tape that Joey is much faster than Spencer or Hogan (forgot his first name, duh), appears to see running lanes open and shoots through while having a good passing form in the pocket. The run pass option that presented in the new offensive environments. Ricky Stanzi has been tutoring Joey for 2 years. That gives the kid a huge advantage in already knowing how Iowa expects him to read defenses, go through the route progressions, etc... If he's up to the speed of the college game, it might be the Iowa out of nowhere QB that becomes the big story.

Last edited:
Changing in mid game is somewhat risky. Bad snaps, offsides, motion violations are all the things that typically follow a midgame change. All the critics see are the hypothetical upside, because Alex has not shown anything to make anyone think he's better than Spencer. Alex might be better but there is no visible evidence to that effect. The critics can afford to trivialize the downside because its an academic question; but for the coaches its a very real question because they have to live with the downside. The coaches see them everyday so perhaps we should defer to the people that have seen both Alex and Spencer play since we haven't seen anything from Alex .

Now, 2021 will be a different proposition. Surely this covid hysteria will begin to quiet, although we're hearing from Democrats the continued need for highly limited contact and masks may never end so there is the possibility of banning spring and summer camps. Considering that risk unlikely, Spencer will have the full benefit of winter film study, whatever workouts are allowed in the off season and spring and summer camp, plus 8 starts, the level of play we saw this year will not be acceptable next season and I'm betting there was probably a fairly frank conversation to that effect at the end of the season.

My sort of semi informed guess is Hogan passes Alex, Alex transfers down for PT and Hogan jumps Spencer if we see the kind of mental errors and wild throws we saw last season.

But....every season a lot of us make a wildcard kind of prediction. Mine for 2021 is the wildest yet. Joey Labas finishes the season as the starter. It goes against almost every Kirk Ferentz tendency. You can tell from his tape that Joey is much faster than Spencer or Hogan (forgot his first name, duh), appears to see running lanes open and shoots through while having a good passing form in the pocket. The run pass option that presented in the new offensive environments. Ricky Stanzi has been tutoring Joey for 2 years. That gives the kid a huge advantage in already knowing how Iowa expects him to read defenses, go through the route progressions, etc... If he's up to the speed of the college game, it might be the Iowa out of nowhere QB that becomes the big story.
Here....... have another one. 🙂

iu

Alabama has used 2, OSU has used 2, Clemson, etc...those teams win more than they lose.
So besides when those teams have had injuries at QB, please tell me when Lawrence was replaced and they gave the backup qb a series or 2 in a meaningful game? Mac Jones never saw a meaningful snap at qb until this year. Justin Fields was never replaced. Give me a break. And I'm not comparing Petras to any of these guys as they are the class of the entire country but what you stated is totally false.

And it took an act of God for that to happen, oh sorry, you don't believe in God do you 😟
Really? Did God send a vision to Jake and tell him to transfer to Michigan, or was that KF that gave him the Okay to play at another BIG school......

I think think with normal spring ball starting tomorrow, and with a mostly normal summer of workouts with his wideouts Petras will look more like the Texas QB who broke all those records of a guy who went #1 in the draft.

Sedge

I think think with normal spring ball starting tomorrow, and with a mostly normal summer of workouts with his wideouts Petras will look more like the Texas QB who broke all those records of a guy who went #1 in the draft.

Sedge
California? Or are you talking a different QB?

So besides when those teams have had injuries at QB, please tell me when Lawrence was replaced and they gave the backup qb a series or 2 in a meaningful game? Mac Jones never saw a meaningful snap at qb until this year. Justin Fields was never replaced. Give me a break. And I'm not comparing Petras to any of these guys as they are the class of the entire country but what you stated is totally false.

Well the obvious example would be when Bama benched Jalen Hurts in the national championship game.

I don't even know what you're talking about, do you? An offseason at Iowa (with QBs wearing red jerseys while scrimmaging) does nothing to improve accuracy under pressure, decision-making, escapeability, .....all of the things he lacks. Unfortunately, those conditions also make it impossible to get an accurate assessment of anyone else.

"If he struggles...."? If he struggles when? Not in spring practice because he won't be tested as explained above. In the first couple of games? So you think we should risk another season by screwing up the first two games again?

The biggest goal this past season should have been finding out what we had among the QBs. Some skills can be developed, others not so much. Only candidates possessing the skills that don't lend themselves to development should be considered viable candidates. It wouldn't have taken much playing time to check out the others. But we were grossly negligent by not doing it. Because of that lack of foresight, what we will get is "he's the only one with any experience" and another 8-4 season with an underperforming QB. And no, I don't think we are better than IU if we have an underperforming QB. The position is even more critical than most realize. The impact of an average QB over an underperforming one is greater than having a 1st team AA on the other side.
Have you ever even played football? Yes, there is no substitute for in-game experience, but practice reps help a QB get better. Nobody who has been around the game—even in junior high—would say otherwise.

Have you ever even played football? Yes, there is no substitute for in-game experience, but practice reps help a QB get better. Nobody who has been around the game—even in junior high—would say otherwise.
This will be Petras's 4th spring training with Iowa. If he doesn't produce in the first two games of the regular season, it's time to move on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT