ADVERTISEMENT

Way way way to early predictions for next season

Sep 14, 2019
I-O-W-A
Well guys, we’re only a few months away. We’ve lost a lot, but we bring back multiple key pieces, including arguably the best returning offensive lineman in the country, one of the best RB’s in the B1G, and one of the best back 7’s in the country. I like our odds to win the West, but I won’t really bet on it.

Our big thing this year will need to be QB play stepping forward. Petras played much better his last 2 games and began to look like a Big 10 QB. If he can continue to build forward, this will be a better offense than this past year.

The run game will need to be good once again, and bringing back a first team All Big 10 RB will definitely help out.

The receivers will look different now, with Brandon Smith and ISM departed for the NFL. Iowa does retain a very good TE in Sam LaPorta, and 2 familiar guys with slot WR Nico Ragaini, and big play, do it all guy Tyrone Tracy. Key names to watch will be Charlie Jones, Desmond Hutson, and highly rated incoming freshman, Keagan Johnson.

The offensive line does lose its Ironman in Alaric Jackson, and another solid piece in Cole Banwart. It does however keep the best center in the country in LinderBaum, veteran Mark Kallenberger, highly graded Kyler Schott, and big Jack Plumb. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the lineup change, since we have talented guys like Justin Britt. And while I think it’s unlikely, don’t be surprised if a guy such as 2021 4* David Davidkov fights for early PT.

Now on to the defense:

Well the defensive line is decimated again. Obviously losing two great players such as Chauncey Golston and Daviyon Nixon sucks, as does losing solid run stuffer Jack Heflin. This group did retain Zach VanValkenburg (VV) who was solid guy opposite Golston in 2020. There is a lot of youth and unproven talent here. There are lots of familiar names still around, with Noah Shannon, Logan Lee, John Waggoner, and Joe Evans who will be back. I personally am very intrigued by the 4 guys from the 2020 class, Logan Jones, Yahya Black, Deontae Craig, and Isaiah Bruce. I think all these guys have the potential to receive playtime this year, with Bruce the most unlikely. This is probably the only true weakness I can find on this defense currently.

Moving on to the Linebackers, this group really impressed me in 2020. While losing a veteran in Nick Niemann sucks, when you return 2 guys such as Seth Benson and Jack Campbell, you are in good shape. Jack and Seth were tackling machines with both of them drawing comparisons to certain Hawkeye greats. Benson really plays so much like Josey Jewell where he’s not the most athletic, but he won’t give up and he will get the job done. Jack Campbell is very similar to another great KF LB’er, Chad Greenway. He has similar height, drive, and physical ability as Greenway. And another important thing to consider, Jestin Jacobs is still here. This guy is one of the best recruiting victories we’ve had in the last 10-20 years, pulling him out of Ohio and keeping him out of the dirty clutches of tOSU. Watching his HS tape, he reminds me so much of Kirksey. I really want to see what he can do.

Lastly on defense, is the secondary. Every si gel starter returns from one of the best units in the country this past season. Matt Hankins, one of the best CB’s in the Big 10, decided to come back for one more ride with the Hawkeyes. He’s been a good player for pretty much the entire duration of his career, and now he’s ready to take that step to become a great player. On the other side, you return the solid player in Riley Moss, who is most people’s whipping boy on this defense. While he’s made mistakes, he’s been a good player for us these past 4 years, and he also loves playing Minnesota, and of course, recording interceptions against them. Iowa also return its two starting safeties in Jack Keorner and Kaevon Merriweather. Jack was able to make multiple bigplays this year, and I look forward to him continuing to build upon his success from this year. On the other side, Merriweather came on strong late in the season and really showed his potential. I’m picking him as my breakout player for this upcoming season. And of course you have the ever reliable Dane Belton at the CASH. You need something, just ask Dane to get ‘er done. He’s the Swiss Army Knife of the defense. The secondary also has reliable backups in Terry Roberts and Jermari Harris. Another thing to keep an eye on, is Xavior Williams. This kid looks special. He’s the typical Hawkeye corner back.

Last, but certainly not least, we have special teams. The best unit in the country last year IMO. While we lose one of the most consistent KR’s in the country in ISM and one of the best Kickers to play at Iowa, there is still plenty to be excited about. Charlie “Fearless” Jones brought excitement back to the punt return game, something we haven’t seen much since the days of Timmy D and Razor Ochoa. And of course we return Tory Taylor, the man who could win president of Iowa if he ran for it. For guys stepping up, I expect Jones or Ivory Kelly-Martin to take over KR duties, and Lucas Amaya or Caleb Shudak to step in at Kicker.

Now for my prediction:

Here is the 12 game schedule for this upcoming season:
Indiana
@ ISU
Kent State
Colorado State
@ NU
PSU
@ Maryland
Purdue
@ Lil Debbie
Minny
Illinois
@ Wisco

That is a rough 1st two games to open up. Like it or not, ISU has a very good squad coming back, as does IU. Couple that with some very good teams, and this is one of the tougher schedules in the country. For now, I’m going with 9-3 as my prediction, with losses to PSU, ISU, and Wisco. Remember this could change as stuff progresses through the year.

But seriously, 9-3 seems like the ceiling. Iowa has a lot of pieces again, but DL is a concern and QB is still a concern until proven otherwise.

The losses at receiver and defensive line are going to hurt. I think Petras is going to have to carry this team. He will need to improve significantly. If he doesn’t, it will be a long season.

I think Petras is going to have to carry this team.
tenor.gif

I think Iowa is underestimating Maryland. They are my pick to click next year. Locksley is creating the next great big ten football power.
Seriously? Based on what exactly? The guy can recruit good players, (of course he's always got his bag of cash ready so...), but he's never done squat anywhere as an x's and o's coach, and his teams rarely play consistantly well throughout a season.

He’s an offensive mastermind and has amazing recruiting ties to the DMV. Maryland is a better program than Penn St as long as Locksley is in college park.
Please, take your delusions elsewhere. Locksley has done NOTHING as a HC anywhere.....

Please, take your delusions elsewhere. Locksley has done NOTHING as a HC anywhere.....

Did you see the beating he put on Penn St this year? His recruiting class is top notch. He also won a national champ as an OC at Bama. The guy is a great coach/program builder.

I believe Petras will make some big strides in '21. My concerns are with the DL. We are in for some growing pains with that unit. There is some raw talent but little experience. Who is going to kick FGs this year?

How are they a big 10 power when they historically have a losing record in the conference?
Because you’re responding to a Northwestern troll. Don’t feed him.

There isn’t a game Iowa “should” lose next year. I’d venture to guess they will be favored in 11 of them to start the season.

Losses to Indiana and Iowa State right out of the gate, with new DL's and the same QB. After that, the defense will take over and we could win every game.

He’s an offensive mastermind and has amazing recruiting ties to the DMV. Maryland is a better program than Penn St as long as Locksley is in college park.

The guy that's 8-43 is a mastermind? They will have a decent team but GMAFB.....

Any explanation for how these amazing recruiting ties were unable to sign any of Virginia's top 25 players in 2021 despite being there for 3 years? Or why Penn State has signed a higher ranked player from Maryland than the Terrapins have in both 2020 and 2021?

Head coaching record

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
New Mexico Lobos (Mountain West) (2009–2011)
2009New Mexico1–111–78th
2010New Mexico1–111–7T–8th
2011New Mexico0–4[n 1]0–1[n 1][n 1]
New Mexico:2–262–15
Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2015)
2015Maryland1–5[n 2]1–5[n 2]T–6th (East)
Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2019–present)
2019Maryland3–91–86th (East)
2020Maryland2–32–34th (East)
Maryland:6–174–16
Total:8–43

Last edited:

Losing 90 percent of your games at New Mexico doesn’t exactly scream “coach to watch”. He may be a great coordinator, but he has a long way to go to even be a solid HC.

Losing 90 percent of your games at New Mexico doesn’t exactly scream “coach to watch”. He may be a great coordinator, but he has a long way to go to even be a solid HC.

He's only 51 years old, you've got to give these young coaches time to develop...

In fairness to the mastermind, he's won more games the last two years than his first four combined. Wow!!!

We will get second or third in the west division. I dont need to look at the roster, schedule, or opponents schedule. I will continue to vote 2nd or 3rd in the division until proven otherwise.

We will get second or third in the west division. I dont need to look at the roster, schedule, or opponents schedule. I will continue to vote 2nd or 3rd in the division until proven otherwise.
We're well overdue for something better.

I'm not holding my breath but I hope '21 is that "something better."

God damnit - just gotta get the QB thing figured out!

Reactions: iafan44 and BCDHawk
For us to have a good to great year, the lines will have to play much better than the sum of their parts seems to indicate. The individual monster dominators (guys like wirfs, epenesa, nixon, golston) are all gone (though linderb has had his moments) and both lines comprise guys who must rely even more on cohesiveness and technique. Not relying on a few stars can bring a team together also, we did great in 2015 with a similar group of guys.

For us to have a good to great year, the lines will have to play much better than the sum of their parts seems to indicate. The individual monster dominators (guys like wirfs, epenesa, nixon, golston) are all gone (though linderb has had his moments) and both lines comprise guys who must rely even more on cohesiveness and technique. Not relying on a few stars can bring a team together also, we did great in 2015 with a similar group of guys.
2015's OL also had the benefit of CJB being able to run and gun if needed. Petras is worse than a statue

ADVERTISEMENT