ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

cyberhawk

HR MVP
Jun 30, 2009
Now that the WBB season is over, I thought it would be appropriate to start a new aptly named thread to make one final comment about this past season and begin an encouraging look forward to next year and beyond. By keeping the title general, and allowing a broad array of comments, I believe there should be enough interest to keep this thread alive for the summer and leading into the fall preseason.

I will say that I had hoped for a little better season last year. I will also comment that while my expectations were few and modest, I was still a bit disappointed for the team. The season could be summarized as having much potential throughout the non-conference season and into the first week of B1G play. But even then there were some cautionary signs. The team struggled for some reason in the second half of some close games and lost big leads that they had forged. Then they lost Carly which undoubtedly set the team back and limited their potential. Compounding the situation was the inconsistent performances of Kali and Alexa. Beginning the conference schedule they faced a gauntlet of five games in thirteen days. That would have been a difficult task for any team but the challenge was especially so for such a young and inexperienced team. They simply couldn't fully recovered from those early setbacks.

Yet through all that, the team showed promise throughout the regular season and into the postseason tournaments. In addition to showing 'flashes' as a team, the most encouraging takeaway was the development of the two B1G All-Freshmen, Megan and Tania. I think Megan was especially impressive after she became a starter. Her development and progress over the entire season was nothing short of amazing. I believed before the season that she could possibly break Iowa's records for double-doubles in a single season and for her career. I think that is even more possible now. Not only that, but I believe she could possibly rewrite the record books for scoring and rebounds. I will even suggest that she will average a double-double for her career. I also believe Tania could challenge the records for assists.

There is much to be encouraged about for the team as well. They return their entire starting line-up, 90% +/- of the total statistical production, and they bring in a very good class of recruits that will add needed depth at the guard position as well as balance the roster better.

I can hardly wait for the 16/17 season to begin! Go Hawks!

Last edited:
I didn't predict a record, but I definitely saw that this year's team would struggle because of the loss of the seniors. I was ready to accept a season that had its ups and downs with hopes for some surprises. The one thing that held back the team IMO was the lack of the emergence of a leader. I love all the players; there just wasn't anyone who took over the role of Logic and, to a lesser extent, Dixon. It isn't always a matter of talent, but it helps. Previously, Morgan Johnson took on the role, firing up the team and the crowd. I don't fault any of this year's players. You could see Peschel trying hard to be a leader, especially during times outs, but limited floor time also limited her leadership role. Till could've been the team leader, but her body betrayed her. Disterhoft has been Ms. Reliable and has a good chance to become Iowa's all-time leading scorer, but she needs someone else to be the leader of the team.

So who is the leader-to-be? Actually, I see Gustafson and Davis taking on the role together. I think that next year, they will have the experience to force their will on the team and raise the level of play. I particularly see them changing the end of the game problems. Together, they will be difference makers, not only because of their physical skills, but also because of their leadership and mental toughness. What about the key players in the fall? The starters at the beginning of the season should be who we finished with this ear: Davis, Kastanek, Disterhoft, Coley, and Gustafson. If Kastanek can become more reliable at the three-ball, she stays at the two position, otherwise Jennings takes over the position. I don't think that Davis and Jennings are the strongest pair at the guard positions. The big plus is the stronger bench. Jennings and Buttenham will get substantial minutes or even start. Mohns, Larson, and Stewart will be ready to step it up. Finally, recruits are always a delight to get to know. I suspect that Sevillian is the most ready to play, but at least one of the others may sneak in based on specific skills (3 pointers, rebounding) and drive.

See you at Game Time!

Reactions: jmpljones
Ally is a and has been a leader of this team, along with Kali, from the start of this past season in my opinion. We have 3 guards coming in and they are all different players, so I think our guards that are here need to improve their games. According to Coach Jan, Stewart has been really improving, so I'm looking forward to some help with rebounding. And, no more unforced turnovers please.

Reactions: conn53victor
Ally is the leader. But she doesn't control the games like the PGs do. It starts with Whit and Tania. They have to get the team rolling.
It is good to hear that Hannah Stewart is making strides. I had thought she would get more minutes, but she was mainly a post up player in HS. I know she has been working on her shooting. Amanda Ollinger will also help with rebounding and can shoot the three.
Bre Cera and Mak Meyer will give the Hawks two bigger guards with all-around skills. Alexis Sevillian can give depth at the point.
Lex Kastanek started off well last season but lost the touch. she needs to improve her dribbling skills and get quicker for defense.
Tag Larson has good size and perimeter skills. Didn't get enough minutes to see where she is at.
I liked the change to forward for Chase. It let her use her skill set better. Very good at the face up jump shot and can put the ball on the floor. Still needs to get stronger and improve her defense.
Christina also showed flashes. She needs to work on her dribbling also, too many turnovers driving down the court.
Megan had a great FR season. What a warrior! It is going to be a joy to watch her for the next three seasons. She finished high on a lot of alltime FR lists (points, rebounds, blocked shots) and didn't start until about half of the season was over.
Speaking of moving up the lists...
Ally Disterhoft set a new record for most points by a JR (topping all time great, Ice Edwards). She is just behind Sam Logic for 10th in scoring. She also entered the top 20 in rebounds and is up the list in 3ptrs made. With a full season to go. If she has another season like she just had she can become Iowa's all time scorer, passing Cindy Haugejorde. Haugejorde played in the early days of Iowa WBB, when the Hawks played small colleges and JV teams. I thought her mark might last. It would be great to have someone from the "Modern Era" hold the mark.
The biggest area for improvement is just consistency. Don't get a big lead and then lose focus. Taking quick shots, bad passes, letting up the intensity on defense probably cost them 5 or 6 wins this past season. They should have won over 20 games, made the NCAA tournament, and finished in the top half of the B1G. With all starters back, and an influx of talented new FR and SO, they should reach those goals.

oak, you see it pretty much the way I see it. The game that sticks in my craw is the 1 point loss at Minnesota. When Banham came across the midcourt line, she should have been fouled. Of course that doesn't mean someone from Minnesota wouldn't have thrown it in with .5 seconds left in the game. :mad:

It will be good to see the front court not get pushed around & be a physical mismatch going forward. Megan & Carly can hold their own, it appears Hannah & Amanda have strong athletic builds too. In the front court Chase will be the key, can she get stronger to hold her own defensively? For me, the biggest surprise was how well they rebounded this past year & it should only continue to improve on both ends of the court opening up the transition game. The guard court (1-3) is what I am looking forward to watching the most, it is the area where there is the most opportunity for improvement & potential playing time for the incoming class. We know what Ally will bring every game but the big question is how much improvement will we see from Tania, Whit, Alexa, & Christina? Tania is the one I'm least concerned about right now. Lets not forget Tyasha Harris, IF she commits it will change the dynamic of this group completely keeping a few of the mentioned names on the bench. Regardless of who is there - 3 point shooting has to improve to help space the floor for Megan to operate effectively inside.

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by the play of TD and MG as freshman. But, they just turned the ball over entirely too much as a team and need to be much stronger. But, I think good things are ahead and next year could be pretty exciting with development and the new freshman.

Now that the WBB season is over, I thought it would be appropriate to start a new aptly named thread to make one final comment about this past season and begin an encouraging look forward to next year and beyond. By keeping the title general, and allowing a broad array of comments, I believe there should be enough interest to keep this thread alive for the summer and leading into the fall preseason.

I will say that I had hoped for a little better season last year. I will also comment that while my expectations were few and modest, I was still a bit disappointed for the team. The season could be summarized as having much potential throughout the non-conference season and into the first week of B1G play. But even then there were some cautionary signs. The team struggled for some reason in the second half of some close games and lost big leads that they had forged. Then they lost Carly which undoubtedly set the team back and limited their potential. Compounding the situation was the inconsistent performances of Kali and Alexa. Beginning the conference schedule they faced a gauntlet of five games in thirteen days. That would have been a difficult task for any team but the challenge was especially so for such a young and inexperienced team. They simply couldn't fully recovered from those early setbacks.

Yet through all that, the team showed promise throughout the regular season and into the postseason tournaments. In addition to showing 'flashes' as a team, the most encouraging takeaway was the development of the two B1G All-Freshmen, Megan and Tania. I think Megan was especially impressive after she became a starter. Her development and progress over the entire season was nothing short of amazing. I believed before the season that she could possibly break Iowa's records for double-doubles in a single season and for her career. I think that is even more possible now. Not only that, but I believe she could possibly rewrite the record books for scoring and rebounds. I will even suggest that she will average a double-double for her career. I also believe Tania could challenge the records for assists.

There is much to be encouraged about for the team as well. They return their entire starting line-up, 90% +/- of the total statistical production, and they bring in a very good class of recruits that will add needed depth at the guard position as well as balance the roster better.

I can hardly wait for the 16/17 season to begin! Go Hawks!

Where did you get WBB recruiting info?

Sounds like Whitney and Tagyn are transferring. want to be closer to home.
I think playing time was a big factor for Tagyn.
Whit never really left Logansport. She was always talking about home.Her family and boyfriend are both back home in Indiana. hope she changes her mind, but I doubt it.

By no means do I have any inside information on the team, but I do follow the players and team on Instagram. Just my opinion, but Whitney always seemed to be homesick to me and really missing her boyfriend and family. She never really appeared happy. Interesting she was so brief in her comments about leaving compared to Tagyn.

I would guess Tagyn will end up at South Dakota State , if they have an open scholarship. Her boyfriend is a QB on the football team there.

I never got a chance to see Larson, so don't know what we'll be missing. But if I were an underclassmen forward on the Iowa WBB team I would have been thinking minutes were probably going to be scarce in the next couple of seasons, even given Iowa's horrible luck with injuries.

Very sorry to see Jennings go, and I know her home-sickness has been discussed here before. Those of us who saw her skills fully on display in the GTL were lucky indeed. But WBB and P5 teams especially have gotten so physical, and she would have two more seasons in the B10 often/usually being matched up with guards 4-5 inches taller and 20-30 pounds heavier. I don't blame her if she wasn't looking forward to that.

Iowa has a couple of pretty good guards coming in next year two, so that could have had an influence to Whitney as well if she was wavering on her decision at all. Not suggesting that she was not good enough to play either, but if you have some doubt, this could be a factor. Whit was fun to watch and always seemed to have a good understanding of the game in addition to be a very good player. Wish her the best with her basketball, academics and family.

I think part of Whit's problem was that they were trying to fit her into a Sam Logic mode when she was actually a scoring PG. She was hesitant because she wasn't sure if she would be passing or shooting , and that threw her shot off. In GTL there wasn't that hesitation and she scored 30 ppg effortlessly.

Reactions: iarick
My opinion is that Whitney is a "nice" scorer when she is left unguarded. Unfortunately for her as a basketball player in the Big 10 , she is short and thin. The Big 10 guards could get physical with her and they are almost all taller and just as quick or quicker than her. To me, Whitney never appeared happy or very comfortable on the court at Iowa. I suspect she was used to being the "show" in high school and wasn't going to be at Iowa. When she got replaced in the starting lineup late in the year by a freshman I think it demoralized her. When you lose your confidence your shot goes and you question everything. I don't think Iowa will skip a beat with her transferring with bigger guards coming in. Iowa didn't need 2 small guards so this is a chance to balance the roster, especially with Larson leaving too.
Lisa can go after what she wants right now or use the schollies in next years class. I think we could use a star who will come right in and score and rebound or we could use another center and a 3 point shooting forward who can also defend.
We need atheletes who can play with Maryland and Ohio State and Rutgers in order to compete in the Big 10.
I told Oak last year that the Buss girl from Indiana was much better than Whitney and I stand by my observation.

It's always disappointing when players transfer. I look forward to the time when I can watch all the young incoming players blossom. However unfortunate, sometimes change is necessary and for the best. I certainly wish the best of success for both Whitney and Tagyn. I intend to make an effort to follow their basketball careers in the future where ever they go.

As for the roster, the team was forward oriented this year and with Amanda arriving next fall, Tagyn was not a huge loss. Whitney, on the other hand, played a lot of minutes so they lose that experience, but as mentioned Iowa has three good guards (including Tania's former HS teammate, Alexis Sevillian) coming in next season. (I think Tyasha Harris is still unlikely.)

I'm still very optimistic for the next season and beyond.

Last edited:
Gustafson is a superstar and will only get better IMO. She is the kind of low post player that Iowa has been sorely missing for so long and someone Bluder can build a team around for years to come.

I thought Tania Davis played very poised for a freshman, at least the games I watched. It looks like she will get the reigns to run the offense next year and I think she will be up to the task.

Appreciate all the WBB info and updates cyberhawk and oakhawk provide here.

By no means do I have any inside information on the team, but I do follow the players and team on Instagram. Just my opinion, but Whitney always seemed to be homesick to me and really missing her boyfriend and family. She never really appeared happy. Interesting she was so brief in her comments about leaving compared to Tagyn.
Boyfriend should have stepped up and moved to Iowa! :mad:

Gustafson is a superstar and will only get better IMO. She is the kind of low post player that Iowa has been sorely missing for so long and someone Bluder can build a team around for years to come.

I thought Tania Davis played very poised for a freshman, at least the games I watched. It looks like she will get the reigns to run the offense next year and I think she will be up to the task.

Appreciate all the WBB info and updates cyberhawk and oakhawk provide here.
The last three centers have been very good low post players. Not sure what you're referring to. Megan is good and will be better but she is the shortest center in the last decade.

The last three centers have been very good low post players. Not sure what you're referring to. Megan is good and will be better but she is the shortest center in the last decade.

Her ability to hold the block. To me, it looks like MG is noticeably stronger than previous centers, isn't moved as easily as low posts (like Coley) and is able to finish strong on contested shots. She doesn't have the range but she is money under the basket.

disclaimer: I only watched about half dozen games (later in the season) so I concede that I may not be seeing the whole picture.

Her ability to hold the block. To me, it looks like MG is noticeably stronger than previous centers, isn't moved as easily as low posts (like Coley) and is able to finish strong on contested shots. She doesn't have the range but she is money under the basket.

disclaimer: I only watched about half dozen games (later in the season) so I concede that I may not be seeing the whole picture.
I agree. Megan is better at holding her own in rebounding, especially on the offensive end, and with put-backs than any of our recent post players due to her strength. Chase is more of a finesse player and I love her touch and range. I expect the two in upcoming seasons to be a dynamic duo. The high-low is great when it works.

I would like to see Megan work on finessing her shot a bit around the basket when she does get those put-backs and she needs to improve on her free throws, but I love how hard she plays. She doesn't back down even when she gets pushed around by more physical players. Hopefully she'll start getting the respect and calls they were getting. Fellow post player Jessica Shepard received the B1G freshman player of the week award numerous times and I hope that Megan can start receiving some of that recognition as well in the future because I believe she can be as good or even better. She didn't have all of the hype that Shepard did coming in, but she's a good one!

BTW, I am a huge fan of Tania as well; for her to come in and take over the point as she did and you could tell she gave every game maximum effort. What a warrior and leader and I can't wait to see what she shows us in the years to come. Tania and Megan are a great start to the next four years.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I told Oak last year that the Buss girl from Indiana was much better than Whitney and I stand by my observation.
Tyra Buss certainly had more fanfare out of high school than Jennings. After all, she already had her own website by then. We had a discussion about it here on Hawkeye Report. They were both scoring champs in the state I believe -- Buss is from Mt Carmel IL, though it is closer to Bloomington than Champaign, probably a factor in why she ended up playing for Indiana.

Edit: we had a discussion here on Buss's careering scoring vs. Gustafson's, not Jennings. Buss scored close to 5000 points, Gustafson, a bit over 3000.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard how Carly is doing with her rehabilitation? Will she get a red-shirt for this past season?

Good question. She played in 9 games according to the year's statistics out of 33 games. I'm pretty sure she cannot play in more than 30% of the games and maybe it's less than 30%. If it's 30%, then she could play in up to 9.9 games. I haven't heard anything about whether or not they are applying for the medical redshirt, or for sure how she is doing. oakhawk, where are you?

I read that Carly is doing well with rehab and his back on the court doing some basketball related drills. If she chooses she is eligible for a redshirt season, but haven't heard anything on that front.

Carly has been back at practice for over a month, doing full drills. She is doing great, well ahead of the projection. I expect her at Game Time this year. She is not sure about getting an extra year yet,

She may not be as tall, but she is the first Iowa center in years that has enough bulk to not get pushed around by the "fat girls" that most teams have in the pivot

Carly has been back at practice for over a month, doing full drills. She is doing great, well ahead of the projection. I expect her at Game Time this year. She is not sure about getting an extra year yet,
So she was back before the end of the season, yet she did not play. Either she was not back to 100% or she was keeping her red-shirt option open. Isn't there a deadline for applying for a red-shirt?

Also, with Tagyn leaving, that would not increase the 2019 class which was already loaded with forwards.

Last edited:

Has she applied, or just doesn't know if she wants 5 years instead of 4?

The coaching staff applied for a medical redshirt before the start of the conference season. She meets the requirements. As usual there is never a given when it comes to the decision making process of a group of administrators. When I asked Coach Jensen if she thought Carly would be granted one she simply said she wasn't sure.

As far as Carly, her mother is a teacher and would prefer she take the extra year if given the opportunity. While Carly is not a fan of school, she is of basketball and it sounds like she will stay if approved.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Thanks n-p. I would think it would be a no brainer but we are dealing with the ncaa here

Anybody know if Lisa will bank any of the scholarships available or if she will use both of them this year. I'm thinking maybe they use 1 and then bank the other.

Can't find it now, but pretty sure I saw something recently where Bluder was quoted as planning no changes to recruiting as a result of the transfers, and being happy with the remaining players returning as well as next season's class already signed.

For a long time Bluder kept a small roster (12 or less), and had said something to the effect of it being easier to keep everyone happy that way (don't have a quote for that, sorry). Would guess she probably still feels that way.

Last edited:
If Tyasha Harris picks Iowa they would use a 2016 scholarship for her. Otherwise they are done for now. They have two extras. Four coming in, nine returning makes 13, The following year they lose three. So they will have 3-5 to use. One is spoken for, Naya Houston for 2017. That leaves 2-4. It does give them a lot more flexibility. So depending on their interest, they could add four 2017s and still have 4 for 2018s

Reactions: 4IA
Tagyn Larson Transferring To SDSU

South Dakota State women’s basketball head coach Aaron Johnston announced Monday that Tagyn (Tay-gan) Larson will join the Jackrabbits in 2016-17.

South Dakota State won its seventh Summit League Tournament title and advanced to the Round of 32 at the 2016 NCAA Tournament. The Jackrabbits finished 27-7.

If Tyasha Harris picks Iowa they would use a 2016 scholarship for her. Otherwise they are done for now. They have two extras. Four coming in, nine returning makes 13, The following year they lose three. So they will have 3-5 to use. One is spoken for, Naya Houston for 2017. That leaves 2-4. It does give them a lot more flexibility. So depending on their interest, they could add four 2017s and still have 4 for 2018s

thanks Oak

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT