ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

cyberhawk

HR MVP
Jun 30, 2009
I have been anxiously awaiting the official news release for the next season schedule (which should be soon) to begin this thread. However, my patience is 'growing thin', so I have decided to start this thread with a discussion of who will be the starters as well as who will be the main subs and some additional general comments.

By position:

5> Megan G (Captain)
backed up by Hannah S/Chase C

4> Chase C/Hannah S
backed up by Carly M/Amanda O

3> Amanda O/Jinaya H
backed up by Christina B

2> Makenzie M
backed up by Alexis S/Zion S

1> Kathleen Doyle
backed up by Alexis S/Makenzie M

I think there will be mainly a three-player rotation at the 4 & 5 positions with Carly getting some minutes at #4. The '3' could be a toss-up/split duty position. Another scenario would be for the #5 to be for the three 'bigs' and the 3 & 4 to be split between Carly, Amanda and Jinaya. Lastly, Alexis should get time rotating in the 1 & 2 positions. I believe Zion S will join the team and possibly add depth at off guard, especially defensively.

Also, I hope the seniors (and Carly too) each have a 'career' year. It is impossible to know what will happen with Tania, but I think she could be a co-captain. Also, I would like to see Zion sit out this first year (if possible) to completely rehab her knee and earn four years on scholarship, but she might be needed if Tania takes a red-shirt. Does anyone think that Christina B can play the 'off-guard'? Finally, I think that the new player from Spain (Paula Valiño Ramos) is a good candidate to red-shirt.

I enjoy everyone's comments. Go Hawks!

I have been anxiously awaiting the official news release for the next season schedule (which should be soon) to begin this thread. However, my patience is 'growing thin', so I have decided to start this thread with a discussion of who will be the starters as well as who will be the main subs and some additional general comments.

I enjoy everyone's comments. Go Hawks!

Thanks for doing this. I just have a couple comments. I would be surprised to see Amanda O in a starting role, since she played so sparingly this past season. Do you forsee a big improvement from her freshman year? I think she has all the tools so far except speed. And I would be delighted to see Megan G as captain, though I presumed that role would go per the usual pattern to the seniors, Buttenham and Coley. I don't see them as natural leaders, just by observing them on the bench. I think team leadership has been as issue the last couple years.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I look at it like this; Ally was the main loss from last year and who on the team would be most like her. I believe that would be Jinaya or Amanda. Carly and Christina are probably the next closest. IMO one of these are the most likely replacement for Ally. I would really like to see Christina win that battle but for no singular reason I am leaning towards Amanda.

As for the leadership part, I agree with you. That is why I have Megan and Tania as co captains. Ally's legacy as a two year captain will be slightly tarnished by the team's failure to make it into the NCAA tournament the last two seasons and extend their streak of eight consecutive NCAA appearances.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting a new thread Cyber. Was surprised they haven't updated the rosters on Hawkeyesport.com yet but saw a tweet so I know its coming soon, hopefully.

I like your projected starters. The only ones I'd say are 100% (if all are healthy) are Megan Gustafson, Kathleen Doyle, & Makenzie Meyer. The back court depth is thin, due to the depth in the front court I think Christina Buttenham finds a role in the back court rotation at the 2. The 3 & 4 positions have a lot of versatility but also have a lot of question marks. Will Chase Coley be engaged every game/minute & put it all together her Senior year? Will Carly Mohns get/remain healthy enough to be a factor? How quickly will Jinaya Houston take to the system & become a factor with all her athleticism? I agree Amanda Ollinger will start, I like her strength, athleticism, & shooting ability. Hannah Stewart could also play the 4, but in an interview in April Lisa said it's possible but she didn't sound enthused about it, I like it in certain situations. Finally, will Tania Davis play this year - in that interview Lisa made a case for red-shirting but Coach J seems to think the exact opposite. Lots of moving parts to sort out before mid-November, including Zion Sanders & her role/capabilities if added to the team.

Thanks for starting a new thread Cyber. Was surprised they haven't updated the rosters on Hawkeyesport.com yet but saw a tweet so I know its coming soon, hopefully.

I like your projected starters. The only ones I'd say are 100% (if all are healthy) are Megan Gustafson, Kathleen Doyle, & Makenzie Meyer. The back court depth is thin, due to the depth in the front court I think Christina Buttenham finds a role in the back court rotation at the 2. The 3 & 4 positions have a lot of versatility but also have a lot of question marks. Will Chase Coley be engaged every game/minute & put it all together her Senior year? Will Carly Mohns get/remain healthy enough to be a factor? How quickly will Jinaya Houston take to the system & become a factor with all her athleticism? I agree Amanda Ollinger will start, I like her strength, athleticism, & shooting ability. Hannah Stewart could also play the 4, but in an interview in April Lisa said it's possible but she didn't sound enthused about it, I like it in certain situations. Finally, will Tania Davis play this year - in that interview Lisa made a case for red-shirting but Coach J seems to think the exact opposite. Lots of moving parts to sort out before mid-November, including Zion Sanders & her role/capabilities if added to the team.
You really hit on some key [indisputable IMO] points, especially the ones in bold.

Ollinger is a better player than Houston at this point. I hope Jinaya red shirts. She needs this year mentally. Basically so she can believe in herself that she can play at this level. It's a confidence thing.

I think Coley has another level, hope we see it this season. Two seasons ago she and Kastanek destroyed a decent UNI team in Cedar Falls who had an all-conference senior center, but that Chase has been seldom seen since.

Looks to me like the #3 spot is a big question mark. I suspect Buttenham has shown us everything she has, and I hope I'm wrong about that because it would make a big difference to this coming season if she could put it together. I don't know much about Olinger, I haven't seen her play though I know she was pretty strong in HS.

I'm going to give it a try. Going into last season I had ?s at the 2 & 4 positions. I wasn't sold on either Kastanek, or Buttenham playing the 2, and unsure how good the freshman would be. The 2 took care of itself. And I thought of Ally as a 3 instead of a 4.
This year my ? is with the 4 position.
1 Doyle/ Alexis s.
2 Doyle/ Alexis s, Zion
3 Meyer, Houston, Buttenham
4 ?, Chase/ Hannah/ Amanda/ Carly/ Houston, Girl from Spain
5 Megan, Hannah/ Chase, Girl from Spain.
or 1 Doyle, Alexis S
2 Meyer, Alexis S, Zion
3 Buttenham, Houston, Amanda, Carly
4 ?
5 Megan, Hannah/ Chase, Girl from Spain
Things will change if Tania plays the Big season.
Last year Megan really got beat up inside, she needs some help. Either from better perimeter shooting so she isn't being hacked by 2 or 3 girls every time she gets the ball. Or for a PF that can get physical inside and shoot from the perimeter.
I can't wait for the season to get started. I think they have a chance of being very good this year, and making noise in the NCAA.

The girl from Spain is Paula Valino. She will arrive in August. Whether or not she will be ready to contribute right away will depend on how fast she picks up the system. I'm not sure if she would RS, being from another country would add a year being away from home.
Amanda has talent, she looked lost last year trying to see where she fit. Lisa talked about her taking big steps this season.
I thought Chase looked stronger this summer. If she would just attack the boards and not shy away from contact....
Carly be healthy. She does attack the boards, and can defend.
Christina shows flashes. She needs to be better with the ball in her hands.
I liked what I saw of Alexis Sevillian last summer. It will be interesting to see what the year of practice has added. She is strong and can take it to the rim.
Megan, Kathleen, and MaKenzie should all have even better seasons. Lisa compared Mak's shooting to Melissa Dixon. She was streaky last year. If she can be consistent it will help a lot.
Kathleen is solid all around. Her shooting fell off a little at the end of the season but i expect she will improve with the experience.
Megan. The sky is the limit with her. I think Hannah will continue off the bench. She was the most improved player last season. Added a boost when Megan went out.
I think Tania will play. She is a quick healer and wants to be on the court. Maybe a limited role to begin with.
I really like what Jinaya can do. Very versatile. I imagine her role will depend on a handful of other players development. Zion Sanders is a wait and see. If she fits with the team as a walk-on. And whether the staff thinks she might be enough of a contributor to eventually win a scholarship.
Overall, I always go with 20 regular season wins, upper division in the B1G, and a NCAA bid.
They have fallen a game or two short the last two seasons. They need to get back to that level, Inexperience and some costly injuries slowed them Time to make a run,

That is true, but at least no one is counting on her to make an immediate impact. As for myself, I'm hoping she makes it and I really believe that she will.

Given we still have two open spots, she's willing to come in as a walk-on, we've previously taken players with injuries in HS, I'd be surprised if she doesn't get put on the roster sooner than later. Would think if the coaches just weren't interested, she'd already have been told 'no'.

Bluder has always scheduled brilliantly, but this year I'm worried we've taken on a little more than we can chew.

Ark-Pine Bluff: 12-18
Quinnipiac: 29-7 (Sweet 16)
W. Kentucky: 27-7 (NCAA)
Missouri: 22-11 (NCAA 2nd Round)
N. Illinois: 21-12 (NIT)
Florida St: 2-7 (Elite 8)
Morgan St: 9-21
Elon: 27-7 (NCAA)
Charlotte: 21-10
Northern Iowa: 24-9 (NIT)
Iowa State: 18-13 (NCAA)
Samford: 12-19
Drake: 28-5 (NCAA)
W. Michigan: 19-13

Not worried about the schedule, more concerned with injuries especially with the guards. Last year going into the season we had 7 guards and was able to red shirt 1. This year we have 4 right now possibly 5 if Zion makes the team, and Tania latter in the year if she doesn't red shirt. But a key injury to Alexis, Doyle, or Meyer early could really hurt this team.

I cannot believe Elle Ruffridge, the shooter from Pocahontas is not on this team. Stone cold sniper. You can find ways to hide her small stature on defense. We could use a shooter like Melissa Dixon again. She is apparently pretty fast, too, as she was very prominent at the State Track meet.

So, she's 5'3"... she dropped 40 points on taller kids at the state tourney.

Head scratcher for this Hawkeyes fan.

I cannot believe Elle Ruffridge, the shooter from Pocahontas is not on this team. Stone cold sniper. You can find ways to hide her small stature on defense. We could use a shooter like Melissa Dixon again. She is apparently pretty fast, too, as she was very prominent at the State Track meet.

And she committed pretty early to Missouri State.

Not worried about the schedule, more concerned with injuries especially with the guards. Last year going into the season we had 7 guards and was able to red shirt 1. This year we have 4 right now possibly 5 if Zion makes the team, and Tania latter in the year if she doesn't red shirt. But a key injury to Alexis, Doyle, or Meyer early could really hurt this team.
I really believe this very point you bring up is a good one and partially why I believe Zion will make the team. I'm just hoping they all do stay free of injuries. If so, I think that these three plus Christina, can manage the guard court. If not, it may be necessary to play Tania when she is cleared or rely on a freshman walk-on.

I would imagine that you would not be so concerned if Bre had stayed.

A good match-up. Noles have rolled the past few years but they lost Romero. And some other key components. Semerau has a sweet 2018 class so next year is the year to get them. Shaq Thomas is a force!
Thank you for that concise scouting report on FSU NoDakSt. It should be interesting to see how they are ranked in the preseason.

I also think it's disappointing and a shame for the Iowa fans that she chose to go out of state. I imagine that she had other offers including in state. The same could be said for nationally ranked Grace Berg from Indianola. I recall that she went to Missouri. I seem to also recall another recent central Iowa standout that went there as well. I think it is a shame for us because we don't get to see them in our uniforms. So now I have two more teams to add to my favorites.

Last edited:
I also think it's disappointing and a shame for the Iowa fans that she chose to go out of state. I imagine that she had other offers including in state. The same could be said for nationally ranked Grace Berg from Indianola. I recall that she went to Missouri. I seem to also recall another recent central Iowa standout that went there as well. I think it is a shame for us because we don't set to see them in our uniforms. So now I have two more teams to add to my favorites.

Here is a quote about her recruiting from the Fort Dodge Messenger:

"Ruffridge was heavily courted by several other programs, including in-state Northern Iowa. In the end, though, playing for Kellie Harper and the legendary Jackie Stiles was too much to turn down."

I take that to mean that Iowa, Iowa State and Drake didn't offer. She made a great Iowa girl story but tiny and not fast enough for the Big Ten anyway. Her best track times listed on quikstatsiowa were only 28.71 in the 200 and 63.19 in the 400.

I wish her the best at Missouri State.

Jeff Linder

@jtlinder
Women's basketball: Appears that Christina Buttenham's career is over at Iowa. Granted a medical noncounter waiver.
Guess that improves Zion Sanders chances of walking on.

A year ago it seemed like the team had guards everywhere. Today, things are very thin. Very sad situation for CB. She had her strengths as a player and she will be missed in multiple ways. Others on the team need to be warriors this coming season.

Guards will be Doyle, Meyer, Sevillian, Davis (when healthy) and possibly Sanders if she is accepted.
Posts Gustafson, Stewart, and Valino Ramos
Wings and forwards Coley , Mohns, Ollinger, and Houston.
Seven Fr and soph, two JR coming off injuries, only one SR.
Breaks down to 1 SR, 4 JR, 3 SO, and 4 FR. A lot of potential, a ot of questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dfschmidt1940
Sorry to learn of this. I certainly agree, don't want to mess with concussions. IIRC Kamile Whalin said in an interview there was a time after a practice that she couldn't remember how to get home. Then there was the time a several years ago when softball's Britt Weil took a ball off the side of her head, and needed speech therapy to recover. Scary.

Guards will be Doyle, Meyer, Sevillian, Davis (when healthy) and possibly Sanders if she is accepted.
Posts Gustafson, Stewart, and Valino Ramos
Wings and forwards Coley , Mohns, Ollinger, and Houston.
Seven Fr and soph, two JR coming off injuries, only one SR.
Breaks down to 1 SR, 4 JR, 3 SO, and 4 FR. A lot of potential, a ot of questions.

Be interesting- LB usually runs a motion type offense with the wings key to the success.

Now- we really don't have any true wings with experience.

The recent development with Christina and the earlier departure of Bre really creates a void in the roster and an opportunity for Jinaya. I also think that Zion projects well in that void. I really hope she makes the team now.

Big Ten opponents 2017-18
DGFThY4VwAAoaof.jpg

Big Ten opponents 2017-18
DGFThY4VwAAoaof.jpg
Finally!

I think this schedule is favorable for Iowa. They do play Maryland away which means that I will get to see them again this next season. Also, Maryland did have some significant loses (at least three starters) from graduation (B Jones & S K-Walker) and at least one transfer (their all B1G FOY PG), so I really believe Iowa can 'pull off' an upset. MSU could be the toughest away-only game of the five. I don't remember who they lost but their attrition was probably more than Iowa's. Northwestern had something like four or five senior starters last season, including all B1G Nia Coffey, who all will be gone. I think Iowa should be favored in those other two away-only games. Illinois and Rutgers are both in turmoil. Looking at the home-only games, I believe those five teams should all be in the top half of the standings, even though they also have some significant loses and rebuilding to do. The three home/away teams probably had the fewest loses in general from last year and could be improved. Overall, I am very optimistic about this B1G schedule for Iowa next season!

Reactions: ammer11
Analysis: Big Ten road schedule not daunting for Iowa women in 2017-18

It plays preseason favorite Ohio State once — at home. It avoids playing Maryland twice. And it will host most of the rest of its "big" games.

Big Ten releases women's basketball matchups

The Hawkeyes (20-14 overall, 8-8 Big Ten last season) will play three border rivals twice — Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin. They’ll play each of the projected contenders just once — Michigan and Ohio State at home, Maryland away.

Last edited:
POST TIME: GUSTAFSON SET TO SHINE AGAIN

Iowa junior Megan Gustafson works hard to top last season’s phenomenal finish and to help lead the Hawkeyes to the NCAA Tournament this season.
By JORDAN ZUNIG jordan-zuniga@uiowa.edu

She averaged a double-double and led the team in points (18.5), rebounds (10.1), and blocks (1.3) while starting all 34 games.

"We’re thinking about doing two post players at once inside,” Gustafson said about the offense. “That’s able to keep me down on the block, but then bring me out at the same time as well as getting high-low action, which is what we’re really good at.”

Last edited:

Kathryn Reynolds hired as Director of Basketball Operations. Abby Emmert is now Director of Player Development.
Welcome back, Kathryn!

Reactions: mphawk
That is really great news. Kathryn has very high character and I'm sure will have a positive impact on the team.

Is Director of Player Development a new position for the team?

ADVERTISEMENT