ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

You said “average coach”. That is just your unsubstantiated opinion, not a fact (but which you state as fact). There is no defense of your assertion. The only true measure of a coach is wins. Lisa has won 722 games in her 36 years as a head coach. That is more than 20 per year. She has won close to two thirds (2/3) of all the games in her HC career. That is not average. It is not just above average but well above average. Lisa has many lifetime coaching achievements that no average coach could ever attain. You can claim whatever you want, but without substantiation, it is nothing more than your opinion only.

And one more thing. The supporters of Iowa WBB on this thread are not settling any not than you are complaining. I think I speak for most when I say that we enjoy the Hawkeyes as much as possible as only one of many aspects of our lives and do not obsess about the few minor negative things like not making it further in the post season. Of course everyone would like the season to last longer, but one cannot allow that disappointment to mire themselves in misery. We have many other much more important and rewarding aspects to keep us positive and hopeful for the future. You should do the same.

I appreciate your opinion. However, bluder is only average. One big ten title in 18 years , one sweet sixteen. That gets a mens coach fired. You have settled.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Your meager defense still pales in comparison to the list of lifetime achievements in her career. Just look at her profile. And you say nothing to dispute her well-above-average lifetime winnings percentage. And she has never had a below average season ever in her 36 year career. I could go on and on but I have already provided a substantial case against your assertion/opinion. I rest my case.

Reactions: Tom Paris and JAMAM
Wow cyber ! I'd like to remind you (since you are speaking for all the "Iowa Women's Basketball " fans on this site) that this is a public, free, internet site that people are here to share opinions on many topics. If everyone would agree their would be no need for such sites because only one person would need to post.

I've learned and observed in life that no two people see the same thing the same way. The world is full of extreme liberals and extreme conservatives and everywhere in between for example. Some people have a passion for winning while others don't wish to make the effort or see the need. Some are leaders and most are followers.

As for women's basketball at the U of I, some of us remember the winning program that C. Vivian Stringer built and the more than sell out crowds her teams had. We know that winning at the highest level can be attained at Iowa because we saw it happen. Some people want to win more and I see nothing wrong with that.

The Iowa women's basketball fan following on this site isn't great and it would be a shame if one can't express one's desire for a new coach or winning more and choses to no longer participate in this activity.

Oh, by the way. You sure seem to be on here frequently for someone who has such a rich life full of other much more important activities.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're not entitled to being heard, considered or taken seriously. At least that's what my wife keeps telling me.

Wow cyber ! I'd like to remind you (since you are speaking for all the "Iowa Women's Basketball " fans on this site) that this is a public, free, internet site that people are here to share opinions on many topics. If everyone would agree their would be no need for such sites because only one person would need to post.

I've learned and observed in life that no two people see the same thing the same way. The world is full of extreme liberals and extreme conservatives and everywhere in between for example. Some people have a passion for winning while others don't wish to make the effort or see the need. Some are leaders and most are followers.

As for women's basketball at the U of I, some of us remember the winning program that C. Vivian Stringer built and the more than sell out crowds her teams had. We know that winning at the highest level can be attained at Iowa because we saw it happen. Some people want to win more and I see nothing wrong with that.

The Iowa women's basketball fan following on this site isn't great and it would be a shame if one can't express one's desire for a new coach or winning more and choses to no longer participate in this activity.

Oh, by the way. You sure seem to be on here frequently for someone who has such a rich life full of other much more important activities.

We all wish we could go in a time machine back to the Vivian Stringer days, but the landscape of women's college basketball has changed greatly in 20 years. Just look at Rutgers currently with CVS as coach. She is struggling now as much or more as Iowa is. Her team finished with a sub-.500 record in the BT and didn't even make the NCAA's. She was and is a great coach and person, but back then she had her pick of recruits nationwide and not all teams in the Big Ten were even trying to compete. Not the case today.

Reactions: BGHAWK
I appreciate your opinion. However, bluder is only average. One big ten title in 18 years , one sweet sixteen. That gets a mens coach fired. You have settled.

Please consider me a settler too. I've settled for a coach that graduates every player that plays 4 years for her

You made your points, fair enough, then you had to take a shot at him with your last sentence.

Reactions: JAMAM
We all wish we could go in a time machine back to the Vivian Stringer days, but the landscape of women's college basketball has changed greatly in 20 years. Just look at Rutgers currently with CVS as coach. She is struggling now as much or more as Iowa is. Her team finished with a sub-.500 record in the BT and didn't even make the NCAA's. She was and is a great coach and person, but back then she had her pick of recruits nationwide and not all teams in the Big Ten were even trying to compete. Not the case today.

Cherry pick your argument much ? Vivian is 70 years old this year and you are comparing her last 2 or 3 years ? I was just using her as an example that winning big has happened with Iowa Womens Basketball.
To me, it seems Lisa found the formula for keeping your job at Iowa much the same way Dr. Tom did. Win just enough to keep from the A.D. "having" to let you go. God knows Barta has many other mediocre athletic programs to tend to.
Over the years the Big 10 has added Penn State, Maryland, Nebraska and Rutgers all either good or very respectable womens programs.
Some Big 10 schools have chosen to raise the level of their program and compete while others haven't.
The lack of athleticism being recruited and the lack of basic basketball execution resulting in poor defense and massive turnovers most games lead me to believe we aren't wanting to win the league, but, win just "enough".
Oh, I live 3 miles from Carver and support Iowa athletics and see Lisa and the coaches around the community. Good people, I just wish they would improve their product.
I don't have a bone to pick with anyone, but winning more isn't a crime. That's why they have scoreboards.

A thread is created, takes a life of its own, and, eventually, it degenerates to the point where it has served any conceivable, useful purpose. While this thread has been great... we are now exchanging comments on a subject upon which 99.9% of us have made up our minds and there is 0.01% chance any action will result herefrom, even assuming a change is warranted! (For the record, I am pro-Bluder.) I implore someone with the patience to put up with all the notices of new comments to start a "2018-2019 Season" title. We will all, then, be spared the incremental reductions to our individual intelligence arising from any future posts to this thread. Megan and Hannah's senior years will make for much better reading...

Reactions: cyberhawk and JAMAM
I think a 50% record may be average in the sense of comparing to all other schools. But the BIG is not an average conference. Compare us to a team like Drake or South Dakota, etc. We should win against those teams maybe 75-80%. I think we should win 50% of BIG games - that would be average. So overall, we should be around 55-60% overall, in my opinion.

Bluder is here to stay for as long as she wants. After she retires, this would be a better discussion.

Reactions: JAMAM
Please consider me a settler too. I've settled for a coach that graduates every player that plays 4 years for her

You made your points, fair enough, then you had to take a shot at him with your last sentence.

The Iowa athletic department has no momentum right now. Good people are leaving, many in the department are content to stay average and keep their jobs. Thank the big ten network for the cash flow and help keeping the lights on.

The Iowa athletic department has no momentum right now. Good people are leaving, many in the department are content to stay average and keep their jobs. Thank the big ten network for the cash flow and help keeping the lights on.
Name the good people who have left.
Just curious who you are taking about

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/118140559.html/
Here’s a newspaper article from Megan Gustafson’s eighth grade year. Her part in the story? Her sister Emily was on the team, and Megan is credited with the team photo!

The victory sent South Shore to the regional championship in Ashland on Saturday night against Mellen. Most of the band members who were on the basketball team left for Seattle that day, but two band members elected to stay behind to play in the championship Saturday night, so the team would have at least six players, and then travel to Seattle later to join the band.

Which put the team in quite a pickle when the Cardinals defeated the Granite Diggers, 65-53, earning them a trip to sectionals but with only four girls left to suit up.

They need to recruit more athletes ;)

Seriously, I watched the replay of ND-Oregon, and the ND center who transferred from Nebraska is a load. There was internet rumor that the Huskers were not unhappy to see her leave due to conditioning and attitude issues, but she appears to fit right in for ND.

The Hawks finished 3rd in the conference despite injuries to all three starting guards.
17 post season tournaments in 18 seasons, including 13 NCAAs. Upper division finishes in a Power5 league.Despite having a small recruiting base and 3 other instate programs in competition.
Six time coach of the year at the helm, including regional coach of the year awards. Hardly "average".
Plus getting high character players, academic all B1G , academic All American players.

A successful season undoubtedly would have been even better had it not been for the loss of Tania for the entire B1G schedule. But injuries happen and there is no control or fault over them. Under the circumstances, the team did well to overcome adversity. I am proud of them and am very much looking forward to the next season.

ESPN's too early top 25 has the Hawks at #17 next season. The only other BIG team ranked is Maryland at #7 with Minnesota & Nebraska getting votes. Who knows what will happen with Minnesota as their coach has made it known she's interviewed for the Texas Tech job.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ketball-way-too-early-top-25-rankings-2018-19
Of the Gophers' one-two guard punch, Wagner is a senior and Bell is a redshirt junior who could opt out of her final year of eligibility, as ISU's Buckley did previously and the Gophers' Zauhi B did before that. And their center Fernstrom is a senior. So yeah, question marks up north.

Interesting about Ohio State - they finished 28-7 and 27-7 the last two seasons, and last year beat Maryland in their only meeting. To me, they always look loaded, so I checked their roster. Of 11 players, 5 are seniors, so lots of new faces in Columbus.

Your meager defense still pales in comparison to the list of lifetime achievements in her career. Just look at her profile. And you say nothing to dispute her well-above-average lifetime winnings percentage. And she has never had a below average season ever in her 36 year career. I could go on and on but I have already provided a substantial case against your assertion/opinion. I rest my case.

Never is an absolute term and depends on your definition of 'below average' is a losing record below average?

Reactions: SLarew
Of the Gophers' one-two guard punch, Wagner is a senior and Bell is a redshirt junior who could opt out of her final year of eligibility, as ISU's Buckley did previously and the Gophers' Zauhi B did before that. And their center Fernstrom is a senior. So yeah, question marks up north.

Interesting about Ohio State - they finished 28-7 and 27-7 the last two seasons, and last year beat Maryland in their only meeting. To me, they always look loaded, so I checked their roster. Of 11 players, 5 are seniors, so lots of new faces in Columbus.

Fernstrom started out at ISU,BTW.

This is completely false. Morale in the AD has not been higher in a long time.

Fernstrom started out at ISU,BTW.
Yeah, some of the folks at CycloneFanatic were not pleased, thought there may have been tampering due to the short time between her announcement to leave ISU and UM's acknowledgement she would be joining the Gophers.

Stollings fled the state in Minnesota.
As far as the rankings go...I don't trust sites that can't even get the classes right.
Cook was a 1st teamer and was the leading scorer in the recent state all star game. Won the state title with West high.
Taiwo was 1st team all state , elite 15 player in Indiana.
Martin was 1st team all state in Illinois , led team to wins over two state title winners in Missouri.
Czinano was 1st team all state in Minnesota. Her team averaged around 50 ppg. She averaged 23.8 ppg despite being double and triple teamed.
That isn't a bottom of the B1G class. Two years ago Iowa's class was ranked #7 NATIONALLY. Hardly "falling behind".

He said “EVERYONE”. That is not true and just because you agree doesn’t make it less false. I don’t either. Why does he speak for “everyone” when he doesn’t know what “everyone” thinks? Because he is a troll.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Or even worse yet, both. But yet in all fairness to our infamous troll, it has been adamantly claimed by another reputable forum member that he (Non-sense) is not the father of those two young ladies. Regardless, your statement remains true.

He said “EVERYONE”. That is not true and just because you agree doesn’t make it less false. I don’t either. Why does he speak for “everyone” when he doesn’t know what “everyone” thinks? Because he is a troll.

Actually I don’t think he is a troll. I think he is a truly crazy individual.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT