ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2018-2019 SEASON

Today begins the B1G WBB conference weeklong media event. I’m going to ‘go out on a limb’ and predict that Megan will be unanimously chosen the preseason POY. Also, Iowa will be picked in the top four.

Last edited:
I say that ‘tongue in cheek’, but with respect to the unanimous part, you can never be absolutely certain with the media or coaches in the B1G.

Reactions: mphawk
Today begins the B1G WBB conference weeklong media event. I’m going to ‘go out on a limb’ and predict that Megan will be unanimously chosen the preseason POY. Also, Iowa will be picked in the top four.

The coaches and media both pick a Top 3. Maryland is almost a lock to win the conference this year. They have four starters returning, plus a Top 5 in the country recruiting class coming in. I would pick Iowa second with an outside chance of winning. After that there are a bunch of possibilities, but I will say Nebraska. More later.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Most of the media haven't seen Tania in much Big Ten competition. If she's healthy I'm betting she's all Big Ten at the end of the year. I'm also betting Broughton from Rutgers makes the team too.

Iowa is not ‘the darling’ of the media.

Also, I really felt like Kathleen had a good chance of getting mentioned. She deserves it.

Finally, Iowa plays Maryland only once this season (Feb 17) and it will be in CHA. Mark your calendars.

Reactions: JAMAM
Someone posted this in one of the men's threads. Women scrimmaged and beat Creighton yesterday (we prolly had more to prove). No individual Iowa stats, but some team stats. We outscored them 40-12 in the paint; go figure.

DqoC487U8AA0SSr.jpg

Iowa women's basketball holds its annual media day Wednesday beginning at 10:30 a.m. (CT).

My worry is how a 25 point lead with 8:50 to go ended at 12. I imagine a slow down, and the bench. But holding a big lead has been a problem in the past.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Until last year a true freshman emerged to start or play starter minutes as far back as Ally at least. Those close to the program, is their someone in this class that you think will play early and a lot

I'm not close to the program, but this season we have 5 veteran starters, with Sevillian the first guard off the bench (who started a lot last year) and Ollinger probably the first big off the bench. So unless/until the dreaded injury bug starts biting, not a lot of minutes to be had for the freshmen.

From what I've read of Martin, she might have been a candidate for decent minutes as a big guard, had she not been injured. Taiwo might also be a candidate for the same role.

Ollinger has often been tentative in the past(and criticized by the coaches for it), though to her credit she seemed to have been the first Hawk aside from Gustafson to realize the Creighton game in the tournament was getting away, and upped her play accordingly. But Czinano or Cook could see more time if Ollinger isn't productive. And by the time the B10 season rolls around, it could be that Czinano becomes the best option to spell Gustafson at center, leaving Stewart at PF.

Last edited:
Until last year a true freshman emerged to start or play starter minutes as far back as Ally at least. Those close to the program, is their someone in this class that you think will play early and a lot
I believe the answer here is Logan Cook. I heard on good authority that she had an excellent game against Creighton. Good outside shooter and long enough to do damage in the paint.

I was impressed with how quickly Logan had adapted to being a face-up perimeter player after being in the paint in HS.
She was hitting the 3ptrs in the summer scrimmage.

Always nice to hear about the new players. Hope some interior players new or not surprise us. We look to be pretty solid and deep on the perimeter while solid but thin inside.

Logan played face to the basket on her AAU teams, her natural position. Kids these days play more, and more competitive, basketball in the AAU circuit. Logan was the tallest player on her HS team so they moved her inside.

Last edited:
Anyone here on Twitter? Would be happy to follow if interested. I follow almost all official Iowa athletics, Hawk Central, CR Gazette and other news organizations, as well as local Iowa fans on Twitter. Would love more due to our common interests. Note: follow back not necessary (or just mute if you find my retweets or comments disagreeable. My Twitter handle is @moomoonme (MooMoo is one of my dogs - figure out the rest if necessary ;) ).

Very excited for this season!

Anyone here on Twitter? Would be happy to follow if interested. I follow almost all official Iowa athletics, Hawk Central, CR Gazette and other news organizations, as well as local Iowa fans on Twitter. Would love more due to our common interests. Note: follow back not necessary (or just mute if you find my retweets or comments disagreeable. My Twitter handle is @moomoonme (MooMoo is one of my dogs - figure out the rest if necessary ;) ).

Very excited for this season!

My Twitter is: @BraydonRoberts5 I also write about the women's team (game recaps and other articles from time to time) here: https://www.goiowaawesome.com/

We'll see if Tomi Taiwo can contribute during those games. Wasn't she a great 3-point shooter in high school?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT