ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2018-2019 SEASON

GoIowaAwesome has a good write up:

Western Kentucky isn’t a typical small conference opponent. The Hilltoppers have won at least 24 games every year since 2013, and make routine appearances in post-season tournaments. They also like to test themselves against Power 5 opponents. Already this year, they’ve played #5 Louisville (a 102-80 loss), and at Oklahoma (a 90-83 loss). Despite their 0-2 record, then, this was a dangerous team for Iowa to play in their first road game of the season.

Iowa passed their first big test with flying colors. The Hawkeyes shot 69% (nice) from the floor and 46% from 3-point range as part of a 104-67 dismantling of the Hilltoppers.

The Hawks topped the century mark again with a 106-39 win. The team set a new single game assist record with 36. They had 34 against Western Kentucky in the previous game. (also had 33 in the exhibition) Mak Meyer, Tania, and Lexi Sevillian all are sharing the ball well.
Makenzie has taken her game to a new level. She is hitting threes, rebounding, running the court, passing, and playing great defense.
It was 17-10 after the first quarter. Lisa started substituting after a few minutes, and it took some time to adjust. From there, they took off, outscoring NCC 89-29 the rest of the way.
Megan only played 23 minutes and had 20 and 10.
Makenzie played 20 minutes and scored 16 points and had 8 assists.
The bench had a ton of minutes, with the FR setting career highs. Monika had 15 points and 7 rebounds in her 15 minutes.
Logan Cook hit 3-4 from three for her 9, and added 7 rebounds. Tomi Taiwo scored her first Hawk points, 6 points and 4 assist in 15 minutes. She is quick and athletic. Good to see them all get extended time.
The next 3 games are on the road. first a couple in Bimini, then at Notre Dame.
BOX
https://hawkeyesports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=12817

Kathleen Doyle still has a cast on her hand. A couple of weeks away.
Kate Martin has no brace or wrap on her knee. She ran off the court after warm-ups.She is going to RS, but looks like she could play this year at some point if needed.

Reactions: Rudolph
There was a vid clip of Doyle on Instagram - not only is her hand still in a cast, but her arm is in a sling.

IA/WV game is a mystery. Both teams ranked, but neither has played tough competition. It'll be a much lower-scoring game than the first three as both teams get used to tougher defense. I think both IA/WV win Saturday regardless.

Reactions: SLarew and JAMAM
According to Realtime RPI, Iowa's Power Ranking is 19, West Virginia is 34.

West Virginia is very physical on defense and gets after it so good ball control and keeping turnovers down will be critical.

The hawks staged a huge comeback to beat #20 WVU , 84-81. Fell behind by 24 points at one point in the first half, and trailed 48-29 at half. Only shot 29% for the first 20 minutes. Then hit 57% in the last 20.
Megan led with 28 and 16. Mak had 20, Tania 15, Lexi 13. The rest of the team had 8.The bench hardly played.
Box
https://hawkeyesports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12565&path=wbball

Florida state was a 62-45 winner over Eastern Kentucky in the other game. Iowa will play FSU at 5:45 on Saturday.

I believe the FSU player that killed Iowa last year has graduated. Hopefully the outcome this year will be better for Iowa, and better than today's game!
Florida State lost all starters from last years game except one. Basically 2 players return who played in last years game, guards who were more defensive oriented. They have several highly regarded FR and a transfer from Maryland whom Iowa will know well. They are much more defensive minded than a year ago, Woolfolk is aggressive and will cause a lot turnovers. The question is after the WVA game how much does Iowa have left in the tank?

Reactions: oldhawk56
The starters played lots of minutes, but Hannah and Amanda split time. The bench should be fired up and ready to go. They will need to avoid falling way behind. Megan faced a tough, physical pair of bigs. But it was Megan that had the strength and stamina to dominate the 4th with 17 points and 6 rebounds.
Mak had 9 in the 3rd, and 14 for the second 20. Tania hit 13-14 FT. Usually, when the legs tire, the FT start being off.
If they can come out strong and get a lead, they can rely more on the fresh legs of the bench. I don't know if a big comeback would be possible after the energy expended yesterday.

The starters played lots of minutes, but Hannah and Amanda split time. The bench should be fired up and ready to go. They will need to avoid falling way behind. Megan faced a tough, physical pair of bigs. But it was Megan that had the strength and stamina to dominate the 4th with 17 points and 6 rebounds.
Mak had 9 in the 3rd, and 14 for the second 20. Tania hit 13-14 FT. Usually, when the legs tire, the FT start being off.
If they can come out strong and get a lead, they can rely more on the fresh legs of the bench. I don't know if a big comeback would be possible after the energy expended yesterday.
What wasthe technical for? (on the WVA coach?)

He had gotten a warning early in the game. The technical was called immediately after WV was whistled for a foul on Megan. It looked like a foul on video and he was at the far end of the court. Must have said something loud to get the officials attention.

Reactions: SLarew
Woo Wee! That was ugly as yesterday's first half. Lucky to be down by just five...which I think matches the number of our airballs.

FSU playing tight defense on the perimeter and guards not handling it well. FSU getting a ton of offensive rebounds. Down 6 going into the 4th.

Iowa only shot 4 free throws vs. FSU's 19, and made 3 of them. Big difference from all the previous games. But, had Tania Davis made that free throw after she got fouled on her 3-pointer, the game might have turned out differently. Or, if Gustafson grabbed the rebound from the miss. Iowa was only down by 2 at the moment with about 6 seconds to go.

The tournament was set up for FSU to win. Teo tough teams battle it out, and FSU gets Eastern Kentucky.
WVU beat Eastern 81-39 today. Only getting 4 FT tells me all I need to know. Triple teaming Megan but she doesn't shoot 1 FT? FSU very aggressive but only called for 10 fouls all game?
Bitter? Yes, I am.

The tournament was set up for FSU to win. Teo tough teams battle it out, and FSU gets Eastern Kentucky.
WVU beat Eastern 81-39 today. Only getting 4 FT tells me all I need to know. Triple teaming Megan but she doesn't shoot 1 FT? FSU very aggressive but only called for 10 fouls all game?
Bitter? Yes, I am.
When you are able to triple team you don't have to foul. And they were able to triple team because outside shooting was terrible for most the game. Most shots were wide open and weren't close. Actually, not just the outside shooting - we were air-balling shots from the elbow and layups. Guards had trouble against pressure from bigger and quicker FSU guards...but FSU's defense certainly wasn't extraordinary. I think both FSU and W.Va are average P5 schools that will finish in the middle of their conferences. TBD whether we are more like the 2nd half W.Va game team, or more like the team we saw the other three halves.

When you are able to triple team you don't have to foul. And they were able to triple team because outside shooting was terrible for most the game. Most shots were wide open and weren't close. Actually, not just the outside shooting - we were air-balling shots from the elbow and layups. Guards had trouble against pressure from bigger and quicker FSU guards...but FSU's defense certainly wasn't extraordinary. I think both FSU and W.Va are average P5 schools that will finish in the middle of their conferences. TBD whether we are more like the 2nd half W.Va game team, or more like the team we saw the other three halves.

Physical teams ALWAYS give us a lot of trouble, particularly if they have quickness on the parameter. Better to learn early that this team needs to overcome than ride a false sense of confidence. They have a "nothing to lose" game coming up and then, when, oh when, does Doyle get back from her injury?

Reactions: LinusPF
Drake upsets #13 South Carolina 90-85 in overtime. Drake is now 6-1 and their only loss this year was to #1 Notre Dame.

Reactions: JAMAM
Senior All-American candidate and former Nebraska transfer Jess Sheppard DNP for Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT