ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2018-2019 SEASON

Iowa won against Wisconsin for the 20th straight time last night.
Megan had 21 and 12 with players hanging on her arms all night.
Kathleen had a good game, 15 points and 7 assists. Was 3-6 from 3pt.
Mak broke her shooting slump hitting 4-7 with a couple of threes for 10 points. She continued her great floor play with 5 assists , 0 Turnovers, and a couple of steals.Also had a blocked shot. she is tied with Hannah for 2nd on the team behind megan.
Hannah had 11, could have had a lot more, she missed a bunch of close shots.
The final was 71-53. Everyone got in.

Thank you for posting this information. I have a difficult time finding updates on the women's team!
How is Tania Davis playing? (I think that is the PG's name)

Tania is doing very well. Shooting the three, running the point, keeping the team calm and focused. She doesn't try to do too much, just lets the game dictate. She has to ice her knees after every game but so far,so good.
She wants to be a coach, and i think she would be a good one.

Bluder has an excellent record of preparing her players for coaching. Jenny B doing a great job at drake. Printy did very well @ linn mar.

Good to see Kelly Krei courtside. One smart young lady.
Jaime is building the program at Liberty. Young team in a tough league.

How is Printy doing at North Liberty currently? I haven't followed closely.

The program is very young so it's hard to gauge. They are 2-7 this year. It will be at least another year before they are competitive.

The girls are working extremely hard but it's a tough road for them. They lack size and playmakers. Have a couple really good shooters though. If the switch happened two years ago they would have had Rachel Saunders (Creightion) and starting pg at West Lauren Zacharias (Wayne St.).

Although they are a little down now the 5th-8th grade classes for girls basketball coming up are pretty strong. It may not be next year but maybe two years that they will make some big strides.

Great game tonight Hawks. Tania really played big with 21 points. Tremendous effort by everyone. If they give this kind of effort every game they will be hard to beat.

Minnesota totally collapsed in the second half. Kudos to Iowa for fighting back after a bad second quarter to trail by 8 at half time. Outscored the Gophers 49 to 23 in the second half! Tania Davis was huge, and Gustafson was not in foul trouble this time. I think Minnesota plays soft, unlike Purdue or Michigan State, which was to Iowa's great advantage.

Another oh-fer for Meyer. To me, her jump shot looks flat, in contrast with Davis who has a nice arch and generally has her feet set. I thought Sevillian had an overall nice game, and I think reduced minutes for her has helped that. Still want to see more Taiwo.

That 2nd quarter was here-we-go-again with TO's and cold shooting, but the team really got things fixed at halftime and played a great 2nd half, very focused. We're tough to beat when we play 4 quarters that way.

Nice showcase for MG and the entire program with the game on ESPN2, after not looking so great at Notre Dame.

Although this year's seniors are going to be greatly missed, I'll be interested to see what Ollinger can do with more playing time next season. Still seems to have a lot of upside.

Last edited:
Another oh-fer for Meyer. To me, her jump shot looks flat, in contrast with Davis who has a nice arch and generally has her feet set. I thought Sevillian had an overall nice game, and I think reduced minutes for her has helped that. Still want to see more Taiwo.

That 2nd quarter was here-we-go-again with TO's and cold shooting, but the team really got things fixed at halftime and played a great 2nd half, very focused. We're tough to beat when we play 4 quarters that way.

Nice showcase for MG and the entire program with the game on ESPN2, after not looking so great at Notre Dame.

Although this year's seniors are going to be greatly missed, I'll be interested to see what Ollinger can do with more playing time next season. Still seems to have a lot of upside.

I agree MMs shot looked flat. I think it's an issue with follow through. A lot were strong. I think MM needs to be more aggressive and drive when the three is not following. She has shown the ability to penetrate at times and getting some bunnies or trips to line will boost her confidence. With TD leaving MM needs to adjust to running the offense. As much as I appreciate AS and ZS I think Meyer looks most suited for backing up KD next year. I'm surprised that Bluder has played such a short bench because we lose quite a bit after this year and need to develop our younger players

Mak injured her hand last year and didn't shoot as well after. It might have messed with her form. she has always been streaky as a 3pt shooter. She has the quickness to drive and is effective doing that. Just needs to get that confidence going.
As far as the FR for next year, a couple of good ones coming. Gabbie Marshall and MaKenzie's sister Megan.

Reactions: blackett73
Mak injured her hand last year and didn't shoot as well after. It might have messed with her form. she has always been streaky as a 3pt shooter. She has the quickness to drive and is effective doing that. Just needs to get that confidence going.
As far as the FR for next year, a couple of good ones coming. Gabbie Marshall and MaKenzie's sister Megan.

Kate Martin can light it up too. If she would have been healthy it would have been hard to keep her off the court. I am more concerned with overall depth next year. Outside of MM and KD there's not a lot of guard experience. Zion Sanders and Sevillian are capable but both are streaky. What concerns me is with so much of the offense running through the post we aren't developing guard depth. And too be honest our reserve posts need more minutes as well. My concern is that Bluder has been too reliant on a very small rotation. She needs to get more reserves into the game and allow the bench more minutes when they are in the game. Otherwise next season we will playing for an NIT berth.

Reactions: blackett73
I am very concerned about next years post play as there will be no depth behind Czinano unless Jelena Mitrovic (6'9 Serbian) picks Iowa. Ramos can provide a minute or two but anything more than that won't be good. The guards with Doyle, Meyer, Sevillian returning along with Martin, Taiwo, & the 2 newcomers will be enough numbers wise at least. Ollinger will have to step up at the 4 & McKenna Warnock will provide solid depth if not starting at some point in the season.

Last edited:
More of the same so far in the Iowa-Michigan game. Megan hammered constantly with no calls. she should have been at the line four or five times. Instead no FT. Last game , same thing, only got to shoot 2 FT.
Iowa leads 32-29. Half.
Hawks win 75-61. Megan with 21 and 16. Hannah had a nice game. Came out firing in the 3rd and maintained through the 4th.

Last edited:
I was surprised at the low # of fouls but another great win. MG with some great passes make HS look a superstar. I was also very proud of KD and her drives to the basket. AO also had a nice jumper from the elbow giving me hope that she will be able to be a solid contributor at the 4 next season.

For a moment in the third quarter Hanna Stewart was threatening to be Iowa's leading scorer tonight. But, order maintained in the end:)

Reactions: JAMAM
I am very concerned about next years post play as there will be no depth behind Czinano unless Jelena Mitrovic (6'9 Serbian) picks Iowa. Ramos can provide a minute or two but anything more than that won't be good. The guards with Doyle, Meyer, Sevillian returning along with Martin, Taiwo, & the 2 newcomers will be enough numbers wise at least. Ollinger will have to step up at the 4 & McKenna Warnock will provide solid depth if not starting at some point in the season.
Don't forget Logan Cook. I haven't seen practice, but her very brief appearances have looked promising. Plus Coach is used to using a very short bench.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Going to guess we'll look like a more typical Bluder team next season in terms of pushing to score in transition and spreading the scoring around. REALLY going to miss these seniors, but next season could still be a lot of fun.

More of the same so far in the Iowa-Michigan game. Megan hammered constantly with no calls. she should have been at the line four or five times. Instead no FT. Last game , same thing, only got to shoot 2 FT.
Iowa leads 32-29. Half.
Hawks win 75-61. Megan with 21 and 16. Hannah had a nice game. Came out firing in the 3rd and maintained through the 4th.

Watching how Megan plays defense in the post and watching how other teams play her is night and day. My understanding is that a defender can put an arm on the offensive players back and hold their ground. I don't believe they can pressure them and push them out of the paint. Michigan beat her up with double teams multiple times with no calls. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: haightt and JAMAM
Watching how Megan plays defense in the post and watching how other teams play her is night and day. My understanding is that a defender can put an arm on the offensive players back and hold their ground. I don't believe they can pressure them and push them out of the paint. Michigan beat her up with double teams multiple times with no calls. It's ridiculous.

Toward the end of the game you could see how red her arms were from the constant grabbing and slapping.

Actually I noticed that in the first half.
They are like that every game. She does get constantly hammered, but I wonder if it is her physiology. If I was Bluder, though, I would be pointing it out every game.
It does seem that the refs have been giving her defenders more leeway lately. I hope they haven't adopted the attitude to let it go because it is the only way to stop her. Some very horizontal arms on those double teams last night. Maybe she needs to watch some James Harden videos.
The Rutgers game was incredibly physical last year. It will be interesting.

It seems to me that Gustafson is adjusting to being double teamed. In several occasions last night she dribbled around a double team for a layup.

They are like that every game. She does get constantly hammered, but I wonder if it is her physiology. If I was Bluder, though, I would be pointing it out every game.
It does seem that the refs have been giving her defenders more leeway lately. I hope they haven't adopted the attitude to let it go because it is the only way to stop her. Some very horizontal arms on those double teams last night. Maybe she needs to watch some James Harden videos.
The Rutgers game was incredibly physical last year. It will be interesting.

It has been like that for the 20+ years I have been watching Iowa WBB games. I presume that is the way the Big Ten instructs all its referees to call the game.

I will never forget Lisa's first few years here. She was used to the way the game was called differently in the Missouri Valley conference, so went beserk on the sidelines when holding and shoving in the post was allowed here. She had to accept that showing up the referees only made it worse. Unfortunately, that kind of rough play is just not the way she coaches, which I happen to agree is the way the game should be played.

There were times where Megan was a pinball with the Michigan players being the bumpers. Just ramming her back and forth. But Megan gets fouls called being in position and straight up. How the refs can justify it is beyond me.

Sort of reminds me of the situation with Megan Skouby. We would try to run a triangle, but as soon as Skouby got the ball she'd be double or triple teamed, defenders all with their arms up but pushing into her with their chests, knocking her off balance and ending with a wild shot or a turnover. No fouls called. On the other end, Skouby would get whistled for touch fouls. She went from being B10 Freshman of the Year to coming off the bench at one point, and to me, looked absolutely miserable.

The difference with Gustafson is her strength, agility, amazing ability to keep that rose petal-soft shooting touch while being pounded on, and possibly by being a few inches shorter than Skouby, keeping her center of gravity lower and maintain her balance better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT