ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2018-2019 SEASON

Weird game - 55 points at half, shooting 70% and only up by 10?
Illinois was shooting 60% in the first half hence only a 10 point lead. Great second half response after Illinois cut it to 5. Guards were aggressive all game & Megan was Megan... Nice road win.

Reactions: gageboy
The Illini have some players, they clobbered a few mid-majors and only lost to Indiana by 2. I didn't notice at the time, but Courtney Joens started for them. I wonder if dad was there?

Megan with 27 and 12. And now she ha her 3pt !!
Tania 19, Kathleen 17 and 5 assist, Mak 9 3 threes and 5 assists
Hannah with 13 and six rebound. Everybody got come minted in the 94-75 win.
All the guards played well,11 threes and solid all round play.

Megan stated the beginning of the season that she wanted hit three, Ball knocked away,, time down to 4 seconds. No hesitation, Megan grabs and shoots.

Last edited:
Considering it was a buzzer-beater situation, I thought MG's jumper was pretty sweet-looking. Would not mind seeing her take more.

Reactions: cyberhawk
MG from 3! Now, I just want to see her grab a defensive rebound and go coast to coast.
Maybe most impressive, there were only seconds left for a last-second three-pointer. Any other post would have taken the play off and stayed in the backcourt. Yet there's Megan still running the floor.

Reactions: r448chlpo
Can Iowa take advantage of the favorable remaining schedule in terms of home vs. away, starting tonight? With Iowa only playing Rutgers and Maryland in Iowa City, and with the re-match with Purdue set for Iowa City, Iowa has quite an opportunity.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
I'm starting to unthaw my frozen crow. I have been very skeptical that the supporting cast, especially the perimeter, is enough to help MG and Iowa to a special season. But Hannah Stewart came through today in a crazy big way. And the perimeter has played better as of late, although I wouldn't count today as particularly good. But any week where you beat the first-place team and a team tied for second is a very good week. With no more games against Rutgers and Purdue, and with Maryland, Michigan State and NW remaining at home, which are (IMO) the three most athletic teams remaining on the schedule, perhaps a truly special season really is within reach. If so, my crow will be ready.

Reactions: JAMAM
Gustafson again was seriously threatened to be only the second leading scorer on the team today. Stewart was making up for the points she did not score the other night against Rutgers. Two close games may help Iowa mentally down the road.
In the cutthroat race for highest field goal percentage player in the country, Gustafson is going to slip a little bit with the 10 for 20 performance today. Purdue's Ae'Rianna Harris did bother her quite a bit.

Doyle also had a fantastic floor game yesterday. She has really begun to hit her stride as of late recapturing the prowess she showed last season. Good to see everything clicking again

Doyle also had a fantastic floor game yesterday. She has really begun to hit her stride as of late recapturing the prowess she showed last season. Good to see everything clicking again
I agree, Doyle has been great. Tania Davis has been playing very well too, as well as Meyer except her 3-point shots.

Can Davis get another year if she appeals to the NCAA? Although, I don't know if she will want to, unless if she's really into studying and want to take the opportunity of one more year of free education to work toward a graduate degree.

I agree, Doyle has been great. Tania Davis has been playing very well too, as well as Meyer except her 3-point shots.

Can Davis get another year if she appeals to the NCAA? Although, I don't know if she will want to, unless if she's really into studying and want to take the opportunity of one more year of free education to work toward a graduate degree.
I believe Bluder said they petitioned the NCAA for a fifth year for Tania, but it was denied

Still return Doyle, Meyer, Sevillian, and Sanders plus Martin will be healthy and a couple of freshman guards so the backcourt will be fine

It's possible she gets more minutes next year as well. I was impressed by Tomi's defense when.she got some extended D earlier in the year

Next year may return to guard oriented play. Losing the best center in the nation will change who the offense runs through.

Unless the team picks up either a transfer or a foreign player (yes, I know about the 6'9er), the most talented lineup might be comprised of 5 guards! Rebounding is going to be a real issue, along with post defense next year. Even with Doyle and Meyer returning how do we put together a winning team for the season, let alone conference? (Sorry to be so pessimistic.)

Unless the team picks up either a transfer or a foreign player (yes, I know about the 6'9er), the most talented lineup might be comprised of 5 guards! Rebounding is going to be a real issue, along with post defense next year. Even with Doyle and Meyer returning how do we put together a winning team for the season, let alone conference? (Sorry to be so pessimistic.)

Yeah, I think they will have a 4-1 offense.

I think Monika is good for 10-12 points/game, maybe more if she gets into shape..Hopefully, Kate Martin is as good as I've heard the coaches say and she can score right away. Tomi just oozes athleticism. Ollinger is a hustler but she can't really be worse on the offensive end. Maybe she steps up

If Doyle can score 15+/game without more forcing and turnovers and Mac can move up to 12 pts/gm. They may have a better chance.

So conventional wisdom suggests that this year we are playing eight players, we lose three seniors, so next year’s starters are:
Doyle
Meyer
Sevillian
Ollinger
Cinzano

Top reserves? Martin, Tomi, Sanders?

I expected a lot from Stewart this year and she delivered. Someone needs to step it up next year.

I agree next year without MG looks pretty bleak to me as well. Could be a long year.

No matter what, it will be interesting to say the least, and I believe exciting to see who will step up to replace the seniors and become the next star(s).

Reactions: Row55 and mphawk
One fairly big problem for next year that others have eluded to is that the roster isn't balanced.

Doyle, Makenzie Meyer, Sevillian, Sanders, Taiwo, Cook, Martin, Marshall, and Megan Meyer will all be competing for minutes at positions 1-3.

That only leaves: Czinano, Ollinger, Warnock, and Ramos competing for minutes at positions 4 and 5, and Ramos hasn't really looked like a rotation player in her first two years.

One injury at the forward position, and we'll be spending a lot of time in a four guard lineup without other additions.

Martin will start over Sevillian if she's healthy. Martin lit it up in HS and had quite a run during the state championship. She's an all around guard who has potential for multiple all BIG seasons.

If Ollinger starts, the team is in real trouble.

I completely disagree. Amanda's minutes have been limited due to fouling issues but she's an excellent jump shooter and rebounder. If she can limit foul issues I see no reason she can't average a double double next season

Reactions: BGHAWK
I would think that Cook will see time at the 4 next year. But they will be hurting at the 5 position if they are not able to land that girl from Serbia, or pick up a transfer.

2.8 points/game and 3.1 reb/game to a double double. Seems reasonable.

1.8 points/ game and 1.8 rebounds/game in conference play.

Amanda's minutes have been limited due to fouling issues but she's an excellent jump shooter and rebounder.

The positivity displayed in this thread is an amazing thing. In 9 conference games AO has taken a total of 10 shots (if my quick addition is right), and the other teams play off her, begging her to shoot. In only 2 of those 9 games did she take 2 or more shots. Now she did make a nice 15-footer or so against Purdue when, again, she found herself wide open, but decided to look at the basket. Ultimately, the idea that she is an "excellent jump shooter" is my kind of positivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bum Leer
I'd say Amanda will start at the 4 next season & hopefully she sticks to the mid-range game as she has done a nice job with it this year. She isn't being asked to do a whole lot on offense this year except for spacing the floor & rebounding - any offense is a bonus. McKenna Warnock has a well rounded game & is aggressive on the glass the time I saw her play, if Amanda doesn't produce she could start in time & play the role Ally Disterhoft did her first two years. Logan Cook may not see much time, was thinking she could provide depth at the post much like Claire Till did for two seasons even though is wasn't her natural spot.

Jelena Mitrovic the 6'9 post from Serbia has visited all four of her finalists as of a few weeks ago so hopefully we will find out soon.

It certainly appears that in most cases at Iowa, if a player is good, it shows up during her underclass years. But, we did have Crystal Smith from deep bench to a 40-point scorer, and Cash Alexander from quitting school to triple-double machine. So, there is hope:)

AO has played very limited minutes this season so her stats are not an accurate representation of her playing ability. She played well off the bench last season when MM and Tania were both out. In limited minutes she has shown flashes that lead me to believe she will have a breakout season. I remember many posters were critical of Jamie Cavey early in her career and yet she blossomed into an all big ten player. Amanda has played limited minutes as a forward and hasn't been asked to score. She looks to distribute. Next year her role will change and with 20+ minutes a game I'm excited to see what she can do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT