ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

Has he changed his court side manners the last couple of years? I remember seeing him having a face redder than Fran's back when Kelsey Mitchell was playing, and I thought he must be a nice guy off the court or nobody would want to play for him.

There were rumors of internal issues while Kelsey Mitchell & her father Mark (asst. coach) were there. McGuff backed himself in a corner by giving Mark Mitchell a job when he stated whoever hired him would get his daughters too. The rumors were who was really in control of the team & with the talent they had it was Kelsey first with little defense being played. Many of the players he recruited bailed once they saw this.

There were rumors of internal issues while Kelsey Mitchell & her father Mark (asst. coach) were there. McGuff backed himself in a corner by giving Mark Mitchell a job when he stated whoever hired him would get his daughters too. The rumors were who was really in control of the team & with the talent they had it was Kelsey first with little defense being played. Many of the players he recruited bailed once they saw this.
at times Kelsey wouldn't pass at all. There would be several possessions in a row where she would take a quick shots many bad shots without looking to involve team mates at all. Players would look to the bench, coach would look at his shoes.

My initial thoughts are that Indiana is probably the favorite and that Linder is probably too low on Maryland because they always seem to reload. He also might be a tad high on Ohio State because he didn't factor in Bell's transfer. No idea if Northwestern will be able to repeat its success from this year.

As for Iowa, I think there's a decent chance the offense will be as good or better next year. I think Clark will come close to matching Doyle's production on offense. I wouldn't be shocked if she exceeded it. Monika will likely get more shots per game, and will still score a majority of them. Warnock's role in the offense will expand, and that will help things, too. Neither Marshall nor Sevillian is as good of a shooter as Meyer was, but both are above average, so the drop off won't be that big.

Defense is where things get dicey. Doyle was the team's best defender. Ollinger was second. Meyer might have been third. Clark is an opportunistic defender that can get steals, but I don't think her on ball defense will come close to Doyle's next year. Warnock showed signs of being a decent defender, but I doubt she'll match Ollinger next year. Monica was a bad defender last year, and I'm not optimistic that she'll improve a whole lot. Her main issues are lateral movement, jumping (for blocks/rebounds), and fouling too much. You can cut down on fouls, but it's hard to improve the other two.

My initial thoughts are that Indiana is probably the favorite and that Linder is probably too low on Maryland because they always seem to reload. He also might be a tad high on Ohio State because he didn't factor in Bell's transfer. No idea if Northwestern will be able to repeat its success from this year.

As for Iowa, I think there's a decent chance the offense will be as good or better next year. I think Clark will come close to matching Doyle's production on offense. I wouldn't be shocked if she exceeded it. Monika will likely get more shots per game, and will still score a majority of them. Warnock's role in the offense will expand, and that will help things, too. Neither Marshall nor Sevillian is as good of a shooter as Meyer was, but both are above average, so the drop off won't be that big.

Defense is where things get dicey. Doyle was the team's best defender. Ollinger was second. Meyer might have been third. Clark is an opportunistic defender that can get steals, but I don't think her on ball defense will come close to Doyle's next year. Warnock showed signs of being a decent defender, but I doubt she'll match Ollinger next year. Monica was a bad defender last year, and I'm not optimistic that she'll improve a whole lot. Her main issues are lateral movement, jumping (for blocks/rebounds), and fouling too much. You can cut down on fouls, but it's hard to improve the other two.
agree with this, I can see us being pretty good on offense. Clark and expect improvement from from McKenna and Marshall. I would add rebounding both ends as a possible weakness.
But it's much easier to see weaknesses than put together and coach a team to the level Lisa puts out each year.

ADVERTISEMENT